Community Q&A (PART I)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Community Q&A (PART I)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  stormbringrr 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jimmy

During GDC we asked our Facebook and Twitter followers to send us any questions they have about Age of Wonders III. From the large amount we received, we will select a few to answer each week.

Triumph Studios development team answered the following questions…

QUESTION (from René Leichenfresser @Facebook) How does the race/class system work? Will some races have special units, like elves will always have archers, goblins will always have bombs? Or is every race/class special on their own, like elf/rogue will have units more like the dark elves in aow sm and elf/archdruid will have more like the elves? Or is the race just artistic?

TRIUMPH: Every race has a set of core units: think skirmishers, infantry, cavalry, pikemen, ranged and priests / support units, all units having abilities and/or statistics coming from the race. Then there are racial units coming from the classes (like an assassin and bard from the rogue class) – these class units merge base traits from the race with additional functions from the class unit.   Additionally there are summoned creatures and constructs.

QUESTION (from Andreas Hamilton Rosing Heidemann @Facebook): Will you be able to toggle blood so it splashes on the ground? (like AoW 1).

TRIUMPH: The all new 3D battles feature plenty of violence with units being knocked around and battered corpses littering the battlefield, but it’s unlikely we’ll have the huge blood pools as it feels a bit over the top in a more realistic looking battlefield.

QUESTION (from Ryan Duncan @Facebook): Will the nymphs and lady of pain be as err.. revealing as they once were?

TRIUMPH: There will be nudity where it’s appropriate: no chainmail bikinis for warrior females, but nymphs, succubi or berserkers are more revealing as it fits their function or background.

Got any questions yourself? Dont forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and keep sending us your questions!

Sordak

will questions on here answered too or only on facebook?
    cause i got a ton.

tsar_exarchs

For a first Q&A this is very boring, except the first question but honestly who cares about blood or nudity( Ok PEGI probably)

Please answer some of the core questions the community submitted, ie game mechanics, different races, PvP etc…

Thank you, looking forward for this game.

Thanks Jimmy!  Looking forward to many more of these.

bocuma

Will there be city upgrade visuals, like when i turn my temple into a monastry or sanctuary. And also will there be item visuals. Can i see the magic items on my heroes? Would be really cool i think.

Also i would like to know how important it is to explore and capture other towns, The maincapital with all it’s farms and towers looks pretty epic, so can a player just camp and get a good economy just by upgrading economic structures?

Oh and, will it be viable to go pure magic? In Aowsm it was kinda possible to get 40 casting points and just get a lvl 1 summon every turn. With enough temples and magic shrines they’re upkeep could be sustained. I loved having that kind off freedom.

BlaneckW

I don’t use Facebook, though I wouldn’t be totally opposed to Twitter if I had a question.

stormbringrr

TRIUMPH: There will be nudity where it’s appropriate: no chainmail bikinis for warrior females, but nymphs, succubi or berserkers are more revealing as it fits their function or background.

You just showed the Succubi with the new rogue trailer and they are quite covered. Despite the description of them on the rogue page “She came from the shadows. Her nearly nude form was more than most men could resist, but I was ready.”

I understand the “politically correct movement” and a company needing to follow suite so they don’t get in trouble, but in the days of Sword and sorcery movies and Frank Frazetta paintings, the men were bare chested, wearing a loin cloth and the woman were doing the same.

The old Age of Wonder games, for me, captured that old fantasy feeling, plus the old AoW games were one of the only games from that time to contain nudity. I really think it would have been nice, if you could have found a way to preserve the old Conan aesthetic, instead of embracing the Harry Potter aesthetic.

Still love what you are doing with the game and I can’t wait to buy it when it comes out. But sometimes the little things really make up the difference and set you apart from the rest.

Quark02

You just showed the Succubi with the new rogue trailer and they are quite covered. Despite the description of them on the rogue page “She came from the shadows. Her nearly nude form was more than most men could resist, but I was ready.”

I understand the “politically correct movement” and a company needing to follow suite so they don’t get in trouble, but in the days of Sword and sorcery movies and Frank Frazetta paintings, the men were bare chested, wearing a loin cloth and the woman were doing the same.

Ah the good old days when men were real men, women were real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Jesting aside, I do kind of like how the Succubi look. Of all the things that could have bugged me about them, it was the Draconian Succubi mouths. The faces reminded me of Cybermen of all things (check the Rogue video).

Nudity isn’t always a good thing (would you imagine Charlatans making a comeback with more nudity?), but I guess in this (Succubi/Nymph) case it could function better. As Jimmy said: “will be more revealing”, we can only say for certain that Nymphs will not be wearing giant armors. Either way I’m happy as long as they keep it classy.

And I agree on that what we see on the Succubi is not ‘nearly nude form’ we read about in the description. Maybe there is some hidden backstory between the description events and the Succubi we see now. Complaints from the seduced soldiers’ wives, perhaps?

Draxynnic

The old AoW games didn’t have anything that breaks a teen rating. Sure, the AoW1 nymph appeared nude, but her sprite was rough and pixellated enough that it didn’t matter. As graphic detail improved, though, they could get away with less without getting a ratings bump.

Which they probably don’t want as it will shrink the market considerably (in some jurisdictions, stupid as it is, it could possibly get them denied classification altogether). Considering that the point of the game isn’t to look at naked women, it just isn’t worth the effort when scanty attire gets the impression across just fine.

(Also, keep in mind that in more conservative cultures, something like the succubus’ dominatrix wear could and would be regarded as ‘nearly nude’, however we may scoff… As would many cheerleader uniforms!)

Jerm

1. Will there be set items like in HoMM?
    2. Are there any improvements to item management?
    3. How would you describe the change in play style in AoW II and AoW III, based on the changes in the mechanics of the game?
    4. Can we hear a little about the level of mod ability in AoW III?

stormbringrr

I am really excited about this game! Most everything about it looks amazeballs!

But for some reason this design/art choice to be more reserved just irks me.
    Maybe its how the question was answered above.

You could have just said that you are trying to appeal to a larger audience and nudity will not be featured in the game. Old units that were scantly clad will now have more clothes.

But then its confusing to read the fluff and it bring to mind the gritty design/art from the previous games.

The new video has the Nymph in it fully clothed, and I do like how she looks, its just not the same.

Still don’t let this one small criticism cloud how epic and awesome my anticipation and excitement for this game is. My friends (who I used to play the original with) and I are planning a lan party to celebrate the release.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.