Dev Journal: Bone Collector and Deathbringer Units!

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: Bone Collector and Deathbringer Units!

This topic contains 179 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  chrysophylax páuperem 7 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 180 total)
  • Author

Garresh

Let me get this straight. You mean to tell me we get a female version of The Tall Man, who can phase, backstab, and raise ghouls, while looking both creepy as hell and dangerously stylish?

Shut up and take my money!

Jolly Joker

´For Xmas, I might add.
    Seriously, people, you are re-inventing a genre here! 🙂

Bone Collector is pure awesome sauce :) . That thing is definitely no more racial than a Dreadnought imho.

It is far more racial. All the parts had a race before becoming part of something greater. Though that would be an interesting mechanic: The Bone Collector starts with no/one racial trait and can collect the others through “collecting”. That’d make the units grow and improve and add corpse management for a small but discerning reward.

Zaskow

´For Xmas, I might add.<br>
    Seriously, people, you are re-inventing a genre here! :)

Hope so.

so lemme get this straight in order to turn an enemy into a ghoul under my control i need to curse them with the death bringer then kill them and then win the battle. i guess that sounds fair my only hope is that one of the necro spells is a city spell that curses people in your domain so one does not need to spam the death bringers curses and instead allow the necro to turtle a bit allowing them to grow in power and acting a dungeon of sorts for would be hero’s but with this domain spell every fallen hero just adds to their power i won’t go so far as to ask for a global spell because that would be op but having elite ghouls be able to infect people would be nice and would encourage necro’s to care for them instead of them just being throw away units with little use other than meat shields

terrahero

I love it!

The Deathbringer looks amazing, absolutely amazing. Props to your art team for that one.
    Further, i really like the ability. To infect enemies with the Ghoul plague, after they die and you win, they’re corpses rise for you.
    It might seem very powerful, but thats remains to be seen. Theoretically the Deathbringer could convert multiple enemy units, but there are some extra conditions that need to be met.
    And i use convert deliberately, because anyone who thinks this might be overpowered has to consider we have stuff like Convert and Charm anyway. That transfers the unit from one owner, to the next. This mechanic (and unit) is simply far more fitting of a Necromancer, and also very elegant. I’m guessing tier3, as the Lost Souls are likely tier1 and the Reanimator is tier2.

The Bone Collector is what i believed the Bone Horror would be. I think of it as Bone Horror mkII. My guess, also a tier3 unit just like the Bone Horror was. We dont know the stats, hard to say anything about its power.
    It could potentially become a beast that snowballs if it gets a lot to feed on, and reanimating itself after a while, is quite powerful. But, keep two things on mine.
    First, we dont know how much health it reanimates with. I doubt its full hitpoints.
    And secondly without such traits like Undying the Undead are actually very bad at attricion.

Having an army of troops that do not regenerate, need special healing and cannot benefit from standard healing, have a range of spells specifically aimed to counter them, and a few significant weaknesses. That makes for a poor line up if you want to fight attricion warfare.

I wanted to post about this, about my concern that Undead would actually live up poorly to their kin of olden times, but opted to wait and see. And it seems my concerns were not entirely grounded, as Triumph indeed has plans to cover this.

Personally i love all of the revealed units so far, and i am looking forward see more.

Now does Undying work like Resurgence, is what i was wondering. If a unit dies, does it mean we should stall the fight for it to come back to (un)life? Or will it come back upon victory aswell?

tuster

I like the concepts very much, well done!

A remark about the bone horror: excellent concept but I think the 2nd little a arm is too small. If you don’t look closely you read the creature as some kind of bone dragon that walks funny. The crab features would be enhanced if the little arm would be longer and the unit therefor more symmetrical.

Olorin

Are you going to include Frostlings in that expansion (DLS)? I think that many guys here would like to see them in the game.

jb

Everything looks great so far. Really nice work.

Are you going to include Frostlings in that expansion (DLS)? I think that many guys here would like to see them in the game.

A Frostling campaign featuring a Necro leader would hit all the happy buttons.

AwesomeLion

Very promising

Hellspirit

Will there be one more unit like that awesome reaper from AoW 2 xd?

Kaiosama TLJ

Please Triumph, stop doing this. Now I’m hyped for two things instead of one, I need to choose where to spend my money and… Wait, the Terraria 1.3 is going to be free, silly me. 😀

Anyway, I will comment on the units:

Deathbringer – Lissandra, is that you? Anyway, I like the art. I can assume that this will be a melee Tier 3 Support unit considering her powers, but one question: Is she going to have Armored? Looks like she wearing an armor to me, unless this armor is made of card stock. 😀

Bone Collector – That’s diabolical, I like it. Judging by this unit and the Reanimator from the last journal I can see that you guys really are going more for the “use of corpses” theme on the Necromancer rather than simply “zerg” like many games do.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sordak wrote:</div>
    Now that you have a unit called Deathbringer, guys, guys, you cant NOT have a Cavalry Unit called Death Dealer

Ora an axe guy named Death Adder lol!

Interesting to note that Death Adder had a palletswap named Deathbringer that they put on the Mega Drive/Genesis version to make the game last a bit longer.

If a race is going to be introduced in this DLC I would guess it’s more probable to be Dark Elves, because Necromancer is a fitting class for Meandor to come back.

Gloweye

Does this curse defeat resurgence?

Resurgence only works if the original owner wins, curse only works if the original owner loses, cause you otherwise can’t win to get it. So they’re kinda mutually exclusive i gues..

Also, maybe unpopular, but the Deathbringer could work as a non-racial unit too imho, on account of it having put away all past ties, having died, and then being brought back.

Nah, like it as a racial one far more. And besides, You gotta have a few of those in there, right?

Deathbringer – Lissandra, is that you?

Ice Damage confirmed!

No, serious, she looks a bit like it. just some more black, less blue..(depending on which Lissandra…)

Not sure i like the massive bone crab. Its the fact that each and everyone of them uses a dragon head as a weapon…. i mean thats kool and all that… but dragons arnt exactly all that common, living or dead!

More amazing artwork for the necro units.. this will make for an amazing wallpaper in the end 😀

Resurgence only works if the original owner wins, curse only works if the original owner loses, cause you otherwise can’t win to get it. So they’re kinda mutually exclusive i gues.

to quote from the announcement: ” If the other side wins, the corpses are considered to have been burned.” That might be like explosive death, where resurrect/resurgence won’t work, or disintegrate.

bam65

That’s some cool stuff.

If a race is going to be introduced in this DLC I would guess it’s more probable to be Dark Elves, because Necromancer is a fitting class for Meandor to come back.

Tigrans, because egypt death rites 😛

blindthrall

I love that Triumph actually pays attention to their fanbase, it makes the game a collective effort, which is a glorious direction for gaming to go in. This is why I may not buy another new game ever(Wastelands 2 is really the only other contender), and why I wish there were more reasons to throw money at Triumph.

davidtcf

how I wish there are Dread Reapers (or at least alike) in AoW3:
    http://aow2.heavengames.com/aowsm/gameinfo/units/undead.shtml

Tier 4 unit with life stealing and insane stats + pass wall + physical protection.

Usana

I’ll admit I am not super fond of the bone collector’s appearance. I don’t mind the more chaotic look in and of itself. But to me it looks less fearsome and more silly with the animated look. Maybe it is how tiny the legs are too the rest of it? Or maybe the legs look too far back? Not sure but something is throwing me for a loop.

Kaiosama TLJ

Tigrans, because egypt death rites :P

Maybe Azracs would be better since they have more impact on the lore compared to Tigrans, and not to mention that they had the Trump of the Dead to begin with, they must have learned some of it’s secrets.

jakjak

This body eating/absorbing ability for the Bone Collector sounds very neat but problematic I like the concept but I hope its either a passive ability when you pass within x hexs or a big enough boost to dedicate a turn of not using him as a tank to achieve if not. ie) if an archer/priest (other than human of course) can deal as much as you just gained plus you missed out on a turn of using him for offense well id be disappointed

The Death Dealers are perfection and sexy besides I would like clarity on the nature of this curse and I dont think this should be the only way to inflict it on enemies though it could be perhaps the most common necro heros for sure should have this ability

Ericridge

Bone Collectors…. I can’t wait to give it a spin upon helpless independent villages.

Deathbringers.. she looks crazy. Must be crazy! Must not anger deathbringer. Must hope she never reads this post.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN wrote:</div>
    Bone Collector is pure awesome sauce :) . That thing is definitely no more racial than a Dreadnought imho.

It is far more racial. All the parts had a race before becoming part of something greater. Though that would be an interesting mechanic: The Bone Collector starts with no/one racial trait and can collect the others through “collecting”. That’d make the units grow and improve and add corpse management for a small but discerning reward.

That’s a great idea. I meant it’s shouldn’t start as as “Elven Bone Collector” etc etc…

Redbaron

Really nice i like the new class design 😀 But i liked the Reaper a lot … lets hope the bone horror is just the T3 😀

Deemonspawn

Can I suggest something…
    Ghoul giants: this

terrahero

Really nice i like the new class design :D But i liked the Reaper a lot … lets hope the bone horror is just the T3 :D

Its still possible. It seems they are revealing units from low tier to high tier. And historically the Bone Horror that the Bone Collector seems based on, was a tier3 unit.
    So i’m willing to bet we will see further, higher tier, units. What they will be, i am anticipating their reveal highly. So far the revealed units are pretty amazing, in my opinion.

I’m just curious if Undying also works as Resurgence.

Deemonspawn

Can I suggest something…
    Ghoul giants:

Attachments:

JPoll

This Necro class shapes up to be exactly what I was hoping for. I´m glad you guys are looking into new battle mechanics that are about the use of corpses, because the death are what this class should be about. I sincerely hope you come up with some cool new mechanics on the strategic level as well.

+1000 🙂

Epaminondas

Going to agree with most in thinking it looks good – and I’d also like to see something resembling return as Dread Reaper to give the Horned God, etc. their run for the money as the scariest class T4 melee/hybrid.

Any race news? 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 180 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.