Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

This topic contains 138 replies, has 66 voices, and was last updated by  hadllton 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 139 total)
  • Author

Taykor

I actually asked for something like this. So I am glad. =)

The normal change of seasons felt a bit too mundane.

But I’m not so sure that simple smaller weather effects would be too mundane. Every meaningful dynamic effect brings more diversity to a strategic map. You know, something like fog areas, local storms, snow storms, floods and so on.

UltraDD

This looks awesome! That lich king icon reminds me of nekron for some reason though :P.

Will there be an option to enable some “weather forecast” to see what and when the next effect will be? Seems like a nice mid between enabling them and fully disabling them. -Ex: An upcoming thunder storm night will give a clear warning to hide underground or avoid battles to not risk getting blasted to death.

Oh just a nitpicky question, Do these effects just suddenly appear or do some of them have a gradual buildup?

p.s. Above post reminds me of a water fog spell that was really nice!

Mourioche

In order to make the game less chaotic and more ‘tactical’,
    I hope that players could be warned some turn before these event occurs.
    I suggest a rule like this one:
    A player can be warned X turn before the event, with X = The number of observatories the player control.

ten9

Some very straightforward positive random events:

Gift from the gods
    Some random items fall from the sky on the map.

Goldrush
    Gold appears at several places, causing some units to just run for that gold.

Neoskel

So shooting stars basically reverts the combat system to that of the previous games?

Kaiosama TLJ

That actually gives me an amusing idea. What if each class has a transformational “ultimate” only gained by leveling up, not by research. Or, well, maybe by research, but it only affects the leader, and isn’t available to just any old necro.

That is similar to some ideas that were throwned in topics about giving uniqueness to heroes. (you can look for the links in the Compiled Topics Index)

That said I like your idea, it could be more than one choice.

This looks awesome! That lich king icon reminds me of nekron for some reason though :P .

Now that you mention it, maybe it is Nekron himself.

Edit:

So shooting stars basically reverts the combat system to that of the previous games?

Not exactly. Luck needs a good Morale to work, so if you have means to hurt the enemy’s morale we can say that you can turn the tides on you favor and vice-versa.

Garresh

Yeah except unhappy units still can’t dodge.

ignatius

Great Dev Journal, I would like to see an event that reverse the moral effects, two or three turns of that could change a game; or events that benefit or damage evil or good alignment.

Also, Is that a bleak warg?
    coughcoughfrocoughstlingscough.

Ericridge

Yes! I was already looking forward to next game, but, now I’m looking forward to it even more than before!

Me and my friend in multiplayer will be playing with random events on. And as well empire quests which we already have always enabled, rest assured garresh. It gets bit dull when good things and things is completely predictable and in your control always happen all the time. Butthurt drama helps life become more exciting.

Very nice, will spice things up.

Here’s an event. 😛

March of The Dire Penguins – Dire Penguins emerge from coastal and river hexes to terrorize the population. All Dire Penguins gain “race slayer” abilities for the duration of the event.

Garresh

Omg. MARCH OF THE DIRE PENGUINS. This needs to be a thing.

Ravenholme

Great Dev Journal, I would like to see an event that reverse the moral effects, two or three turns of that could change a game; or events that benefit or damage evil or good alignment.

Also, Is that a bleak warg?<br>

Its a bleak warg mount, but those already exist ingame as a potential mount item. It doesn’t really point to the Frostlings coming back. (I do however find it interesting that there is a Hero on one because they don’t usually bother changing up artifacts for heroes for these demonstration maps that I’ve seen – this is the first time I’ve seen a changed mount on the heroes). Looks like a Dwarf on it, as well.

Mourioche

Yes!!!
    A true cosmic event.

Ravenholme

Agreed. It should be very, very rare, and only happen in the mid-late game (As befitting the Athla-Shattering Terror it would induce).

Tremble mortals, for the Dread Penguins cometh.

ignatius

I would then add the evolve ability to Dire penguins and a giant one (like in AoW II).

Mourioche

I would then add the evolve ability to Dire penguins and a giant one (like in AoW II).

Like the “Rise of the Lich King”, with a powerfull Lich king,
    We could have “the march of Dire penguins” with the “Penguin king and his followers, the Giants penguins”

terrahero

Well that certainly seems like a pretty interesting idea.

Naturally i have to ask, can these be turned off? And more accurately; can they be turned of based on catagory?
    Say i’d like the idea of getting random invading forces, to give me a little extra something to fight. But i dont like dealing with random stat changes to rain on my parade (which, might be an actual event. Parade Rain!). Can i turn off one but not the other?

Fenraellis

I for see the multiplayer crowd ignoring this entirely, just like empire quests, cities, and every specialization that isn’t fire or wild.

You play with some pretty stringent people, aye?

You know… the current Dire Penguins might as well be Baby Penguins(or just Penguins), which can Evolve into T3 Dire Penguins. Dire Penguins should be more… Dire.

Also, Is that a bleak warg?

Blight Tusk Boars are already mounts, so why not Bleak Wargs?
    …Although the Frost Protection they would obviously provide would certainly be more useful if Frostlings were actually a thing. Either way, it is quite nice looking!

decoy

This is all very cool and nice. Definitely would make the game more dynamic and different each time we play a game. I could probably list a lot of different events that could happen like Garresh but I rather you implement it with editor support. That would probably be the best way to and do it is to allow us to make custom maps where for instance fog rolls in on turn 7 for a special event. I could probably even do seasons for 5 turns each if the mod support was really good.

Cool beans. I especially like the Lich King. Of course, breaking the seals means there could also be Wizard Kings come back…

Necros get a slew of undead immunities along with life stealing, projectile protection, some blight damage, and whatever else is thematically appropriate. Rogues would gain physical protection, extra frost damage, and frostbite and freezing touch. Warlords would gain mind control immunity, the warbreeds regeneration, and some extra armor and damage.

All transformations would give some bonus HP, though some more than others. Anyways just another stupid idea lol.

not necessarily, heroes go up to level 30, after all.

Zorrino

So question…are there going to be night and day times in the game?
    Because they said, “… and an atmospheric night-like environment.” What kind of effect is going to cause an atmospheric night-like environment.

Zorrino

Here’s an idea for events, Racial/class events, events that only effect race/class specific phenomena. For example: the race specific abilities will cause them to lose a positive or remove a negative for a sort duration, maybe even when you achieve Multi-culture into your empire you gain a random bonus to your racial abilities from a different race. Adding events to coexist with other rules will add allot to the game i think =D

Smaug3

Here’s an event. :P

March of The Dire Penguins – Dire Penguins emerge from coastal and river hexes to terrorize the population. All Dire Penguins gain “race slayer” abilities for the duration of the event.

That is the best idea ever. They should also get path of frost and be gold rank.

Mourioche

I have mixed feeling about event that just bring bonus or penalty to players but do not strongly modify something in the game, and need a real adaptation effort.

I prefert event who could mean “real problem” and/or inject some dynamism into the game, like lich/penguin/or what you want invasion.

Socratatus

I actually asked for something like this. So I am glad. =)

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Lennart Sas wrote:</div>
    The normal change of seasons felt a bit too mundane.

But I’m not so sure that simple smaller weather effects would be too mundane. Every meaningful dynamic effect brings more diversity to a strategic map. You know, something like fog areas, local storms, snow storms, floods and so on.

Agreed. And these could be translated to the battle maps. I don’t think it would be so mundane at all. Even better if there was an actual weather system mechanic underneath. But thanks for considering it anyway.

Tokagero

I am re-posting the bit from comment on Steam’s announcement :

I hope there’ll be enough to make for some exciting, unforeseeable calendar.
    A personal suggestion though : having completely random events like that might seem interesting, but giving player some form of influence or insight makes for more depth.

For example, if UI had these events listed, with Date on when the last one happend, and in it’s description some hint on how often these happen, then players could play accordingly, preparing for an event catastrophic for their empire (ex. Falling Clouds for Dwarven Dreadnaught) or planning a large military campaign during another (ex. Shooting Stars for Halflings). This makes for more engagement, than just “oh shit, it’s raining” moments.

On top of that / instead, if players could directly influence some points in the world to cause such events (controlling certain structues, performing certain spells, some form of rituals, sacrifices, artifacts, you get the idea) or at least hasten their coming, or prevent/delay ones not beneficial for the player, then you directly tie-in those events to gameplay, even when they are not active.

Loving what I am seeing so far, keep up the good work!

Also, I am hoping there’ll be plenty of these Cosmic Events. Given how much they can influence particular races/classes/strategies it would be great to see enough Cosmic Events to make even “mostly” similar setup play out completely differently, because of the events and their timings.

By the way, is the Map Editor capable of making Cosmic Events and Empire quests ? Cause I can see a lot of potential for Workshop in form of Events packs and such.

Looks all quite fun and with lots of potential. Now I hope we get smaller scale events as well.

That also happened in MoM, althought it was extremely rare. Only in 2 games I managed to get this event of a merchant selling an item.

It was allegedly dependent on your fame level. I have gotten it reasonably often in games I have had some time to develop.

meeber

Regarding Weather: the Fallen Clouds is basically a super charged fog. There will be things like droughts too; but all have a bit of a supernatural or cosmic ring to them. The normal change of seasons felt a bit too mundane.

Not this MP guy I’ll always have this on in SP and MP. Why the hell would you not have this on in MP? Hell I’ll turn it on and rip off the dial. And everyone I MP the game with is of the same opinion. Oh and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, more of the Lich King like events.
    In AOW:SM every map I created had random events like this (mostly the Lich King type events because you really could not do the other types) I had this one large map called Grayhawk that we MP a lot on. And it had 10 different ‘Lich King’ like events.
    One was actually called the Lich King Event where between turn 50 – 400 there was a 20% chance each turn for the event to happen which spawned hundreds of different Undead and 1 Lich King (MAX level which I believe was 30th with 5 20th level Deathknight (well they were each a different class) Heroes.
    My biggest one was the ‘Flight of Dragons Event’ which ran fro turn 100 – 400 with a 5% chance each turn of releasing 250 dragons and dragon like creatures upon the world

When creating the Udead and dragon event I had to use a section of the Underground where a big chamber was created for each type (Undead and Dragons) and around these rooms were 6 Teleporters that went to different parts of the world so that when the event triggered the AI block would be removed and the dragons/undead will randomly go to each teleporter so the amount of Undead or dragons that would appear in any given place was different each time.
    The rest were much smaller in scope and less deadly.

Needless to say it was a deadly map as well as our favorite map to MP on due to the Random events. And on top of that we also had hundereds of more units that we created for the game so we did have many different types of dragons (based off Dungeons and Dragons) from the small Psudodragon and Fairy Dragon to several different types of Elder dragons more powerful that the Ancient Dragon that came with the game. Same goes for the undead as well as other units.
    We like to play MP like we do SP and everything does not have to be balanced you play with the hand your dealt with and make the most of it. It is the only real way to play MP in any computer game.

I do have one question will we be able to set it so that multiple events can happen (obviously the more the better) You know it kind of reminds me of when in GC2 when those really advance aliens would randomly show up in the game and attack your empire. Now those made up some of the most memorable games in GC2 (hopefully we will have the same thing happen in GC3 as well)

meeber

In order to make the game less chaotic and more ‘tactical’,<br>
    I hope that players could be warned some turn before these event occurs.<br>
    I suggest a rule like this one:<br>
    A player can be warned X turn before the event, with X = The number of observatories the player control.

Where is the fun in that?

meeber

Here’s an event. :P

Oooh I love this. I vote to have this event added as well and maybe have these Dire Penguins look a little bit more scarier than the normal ones in some way.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.