Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

This topic contains 138 replies, has 66 voices, and was last updated by  hadllton 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 139 total)
  • Author

Oooh I love this. I vote to have this event added as well and maybe have these Dire Penguins look a little bit more scarier than the normal ones in some way.

Well, they could have gold rank or be lead by a penguin with like 5 champion ranks, give you a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Kaiosama TLJ

One thing that I was thinking about the Lich King. Could he be that guy that’s mentioned on the Crusader and Bone Dragon lores? (forgot his name now) Considering he has the philosophy that life is a great lie it would make sense to him to appear in this form rather than commanding a mix between living and dead units.

Gloweye

Burst of Life: Forests across the map begin to expand. Each hex adjacent to a forest tile has a 30% chance to turn to forest each turn. This can include roads. Lasts 5 turns.

Sounds like a Arch Druid Spell…

Anyway, I like these. Also, please implement March of the Dire Penguins, and give them a awesome evolve ability…(Or change the current to be named Penguin and make it evolve to a Dire Penguin at T3..)

One thing that I was thinking about the Lich King. Could he be that guy that’s mentioned on the Crusader and Bone Dragon lores? (forgot his name now) Considering he has the philosophy that life is a great lie it would make sense to him to appear in this form rather than commanding a mix between living and dead units.

You’re talking about Grimber Ambule, Necromancer. Dunno, lich king =/= necro I guess. Though I must say I like Garresh’s idea of the “evolving” heroes.

Thariorn

This is all very cool and nice. Definitely would make the game more dynamic and different each time we play a game. I could probably list a lot of different events that could happen like Garresh but I rather you implement it with editor support. That would probably be the best way to and do it is to allow us to make custom maps where for instance fog rolls in on turn 7 for a special event. I could probably even do seasons for 5 turns each if the mod support was really good.

Well. you can ALRADY do some VERY similar things with the use of scripts and timer-based scriptresets aswell as global scripts (E.g., each time someone casts a spell, an indepent stack of vicious kobolds is summoned to a [specific] place in the world)

NEHZ

Got a couple ideas as well:

Unresful nature: mountains spawn random birds, wild animals come streaming out of the woods but most dire are the waters, where from the deeps monsters arise.

Opressing winds: strange winds swirl around the lands, changing from still to storm in a hearbeat and strangely weaking all it touches. All units receive a penalty to defense and resistance equal to their tier for 5 turns.

The world hardens: somehow everything feels tougher lately, even skin. All units recieve +2 defense and +2 resistance, all cities recieve -10% growth for 5 turns.

Sign of mercy: all empires recieve an income bonus for their dedication to good or a happiness penalty for that to evil for 5 turns. (bonus/penalty depends on pure good/good/evil/pure evil)

Dissappearance of empathy: all empires recieve an income bonus for their dedication to evil or a happiness penalty for that to good for 5 turns.

Hidden magic: a magic hidden in many things starts to rouse. Pools of water reflect light differently and dusk changes sight more than usuall. All units except for fey lose 1 resistance for the duration of 5 turns. All over the world twisted fey appear, hungry for blood and chaos.

Thin magic: magic suddenly seems harder to grasp, harder to define. All units recieve +3 resistance and all empires recieve -10 mana/turn for 5 turns.

+1 for the dire march.

Mourioche

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mourioche wrote:</div>
    In order to make the game less chaotic and more ‘tactical’,<br><br>
    I hope that players could be warned some turn before these event occurs.<br><br>
    I suggest a rule like this one:<br><br>
    A player can be warned X turn before the event, with X = The number of observatories the player control.

Where is the fun in that?

Seems to me to be an evidence (and i’m surprised to have to write this):
    Cosmic event could count in choices you take in game.

You could search peace, or stop extend because you know winter problem is comming
    You could attack your neighbor because you know he will face bad cosmic event…

If i resume: You have more game element to deals with.

Taykor

And by the way, seasons are not mundane at all, too. If they were realized such that they mattered, then there could be things like planning war campaigns in summer, or surprise attacks in winter (especially depending on a race you’re playing)… =)
    Of course for that to work, hard work on a terraforming scripting should be done: widening and shrinking of arctic regions, freezing and unfreezing of rivers, fogs and thunderstorms in ‘spring’ and rains in ‘autumn’ (I don’t think that spring and autumn should be separate seasons, more like transitional periods when changes occur), generation of proper parties of neutral monsters (beasts, maybe sea creatures,too; and fairies, we need summer and winter fairies!), snow storms in winter and common storms in summer an so on.
    Of course, winter and summer should be at least 30 turns long to not be medley.
    And yes, ‘winter is coming’ is precious.

eSmokefish

When I read something about “Angry Gods” I got my hopes up. Only to have it shattered moments later upon reading what it was actually refering to.

I first thought there would be a return of the Shrines and the Deities thereof. :c

Regardless of that note, I’m alright with having these random world events be a thing; spices things up. Though in addition to the universal On/Off option, perhaps there could be an advanced option to individually enable/disable events?

IE for cases where someone wants to have random events, but last time he had them on the Lich King event royally screwed him over and left a bad taste, but he still wants to have other random events happen.

Draxynnic

Hrrrmn. I’m a little worried about Night of the Angry Gods – if there’s absolutely no way to take shelter from it, that basically means the only real countermeasures are ‘high shock resistance’ or ‘outheal it’. It’d probably be appropriate if it could be avoided by sheltering in a friendly city or underground (Why this works for the event but not enemy spells is that everyone knows the event is occurring and can take countermeasures – ie, storm cellars and such – as opposed to a single storm happening out of the blue).

One thing I think should be considered is the question of who benefits and who is impacted by each event. For instance, Falling Clouds and Night of the Angry Gods both seem like they benefit sorcerers at the expense of dreadnoughts (with Night, because sorcerers are more likely to have access to lots of shock immune or highly shock resistant troops). It’s probably worth considering that and aiming to have a balanced mix of events that help or hinder each profession (relative to the others… an event that hurts everyone but hurts some classes less than others is essentially a benefit to those classes).

That also happened in MoM, althought it was extremely rare. Only in 2 games I managed to get this event of a merchant selling an item.

How much gold reserves and fame did you normally have? The chance of having merchants, heroes and mercenaries show up (and their value) was based on fame, but if the game generated something the player couldn’t afford, it wouldn’t show it.

You know… the current Dire Penguins might as well be Baby Penguins(or just Penguins), which can Evolve into T3 Dire Penguins. Dire Penguins should be more… Dire.

I don’t know. Considering that we’re starting from, well, penguins, than a bunch of penguins that can fight with trained and potentially armoured soldiers and win sound pretty dire to me. This doesn’t negate the possibility of an even MORE dire version, but we are starting from something that makes emperor penguins look like baby seals.

Thariorn

This doesn’t negate the possibility of an even MORE dire version, but we are starting from something that makes emperor penguins look like baby seals.

Just put a giant pinguin with some sort of breath, eg. frost breath with chance to inflict brain rot/etc., combat penguin summons which persist if they score a kill.

Kennan

Gravitational disturbance (two variants)
    -Increased gravity reduces movement for flyers and reduces range for ranged units
    -Decreased gravity increas movement for flyers and increas range for ranged units

Edelfred

I remember something similar in some the games for example
    Anno 1503 -Lava erupting, Earthquakes et cetera .
    Since I mostly interested in fighting high level AI
    I would love to have an option disable such events or make them rare

Gloweye

I would love to have an option disable such events or make them rare

They already said that they would be optional.

Mardagg

this is great!

+1 from to me for more Lich-King like events.

Zorrino

And by the way, seasons are not mundane at all, too. If they were realized such that they mattered, then there could be things like planning war campaigns in summer, or surprise attacks in winter (especially depending on a race you’re playing)… =)<br>
    Of course for that to work, hard work on a terraforming scripting should be done: widening and shrinking of arctic regions, freezing and unfreezing of rivers, fogs and thunderstorms in ‘spring’ and rains in ‘autumn’ (I don’t think that spring and autumn should be separate seasons, more like transitional periods when changes occur), generation of proper parties of neutral monsters (beasts, maybe sea creatures,too; and fairies, we need summer and winter fairies!), snow storms in winter and common storms in summer an so on.<br>
    Of course, winter and summer should be at least 30 turns long to not be medley.<br>
    And yes, ‘winter is coming’ is precious.

I agree, tho instead of having a fix amount of turns for the seasons, why not have them random. For example next to the end turn button or somewhere, it should say 5-10 turns till a new season, so any time between those numbers a different season will start and so on so forth. Plus you should have an option of picking how many seasons you want in the game, a bonus/penalty for a different race/class (how ever you want to do it) per season.
    I like the idea that depending on the seasons and what race (maybe class as well if you decide to go that way) you play can take a serious effect on the game play, and what better way to play a strategy game if you cant add in a challenge/options here and there??? So please, please add in seasons to the game. I mean i’m sure we wouldn’t mind waiting a little longer if you guys need time to add it in, plus isn’t it going to be an option to have that in there? I think it’s great that you guys have done this option to turn things on and off for allot of things in the game, that’s what makes this game so different from any other, the option to have a little of everything for everyone.

Keep up the great work guys =D

Charlatan

Let us know what you think, maybe you have some cool ideas yourself?

Always, however whether they are cool or not is not my decision.

– Eclipse –
    The mysterious twilight brought by an eclipse returns fabled and magical creatures to the height they held during the age of wonders. (All mystical creatures (fairies, mermaids, dragons, spirits, nymphs, etc.) gain regeneration, resistances and damage. Double all morale/reputation/alignment changes from harming or aiding a Sylvan Court or similar structure.)

– Fateful Night –
    An unusually bright moonlit night raises the spirits of adventurers, heroes and villains alike, and a scent of fate and wonder lies in the air. (Heroes, Leaders and Elite Rank units have increased movement speed and action points.)

– Chaos –
    An unexplainable, completely unpredictable anomaly of magical energies engulfs the world, causing wide-spread temporary random effects. They bear semblance and thus possible origin to the old Spheres of Magic:

Fire => Any combat spell/ability has a chance to explode for a bit of elem. damage.
    Air => Windstorms cause projectiles to sometimes hit any nearby hex instead.
    Water => Unstable weather and heavy rain limits unit vision and destabilizes morale.
    Earth => Attacked City Walls break instantly but also repair at the end of every round.
    Life => Magical residue appears in the form of 1-hex clouds, regenerating armies in them.
    Death => One turn after a battle, organic units who died there rise as berserk undead.

– Bleeding Sun –
    An unnerving, dark presence is felt throughout the land, among the strangely darkened and slightly red-tinted light, a horrifying creature lurks, thought to be nothing but a fairy tale. This creature simply called “The Crimson” appears as a sinister knight veiled in worn, damaged and blood-caked armor and is lured by blood and violence. They say if too much blood is shed by two fighting armies, this mysterious horror appears to single-handedly slaughter both sides in an unstoppable frenzy, enduring wounds beyond sane comprehension, as some swear to have seen it die, yet it returns. Those who survived the onslaught are sure to have gained an experience even the war-hardened elite can never share. (Unique 5th Veterancy Level, Immune to Fear)

– Reign of the Dead –
    If the Rise of the Lich King event expires and the Lich King is still alive, a followup event further causes bedlam at the border of life (and death). (The undead units spawned from the previous event go berserk with increased movement and sight, attacking and possibly “recruiting” any non-undead they kill.)

Zorrino

Regarding seasons, I forgot to mention: The domain of your empire should’t be effected by seasons maybe from a research that you will have to discover, or something you start with or need to build per city, either way the domain shouldn’t be effected by seasons because then it might seem like busy work trying to keep your population from rioting. maybe have some sort of spell in place or like i said before, something that needs to be researched for understanding how to keep your domain from being effected through seasons, i mean after all it is a game of wonders right? so I’m sure this idea would make allot of sense to have this implemented into the game play, and maybe have it worth points of some sorts for building a construct of wonder or something along those line. =D

P.S. If it were to be a spell or something construct to keep the season out of your domain, then it would make sense to have your enemies try and disjunction or send in spies to destroy and cause the seasons to spread instantly into your empire. It’s all about strategy isn’t it? =D

Taykor

Regarding seasons, I forgot to mention: The domain of your empire should’t be effected by seasons

Of course it should be affected. What’s the point of seasons otherwise? They should not care about such trifle as domains.

Zorrino

– Bleeding Sun –<br>
    An unnerving, dark presence is felt throughout the land, among the strangely darkened and slightly red-tinted light, a horrifying creature lurks, thought to be nothing but a fairy tale. This creature simply called “The Crimson” appears as a sinister knight veiled in worn, damaged and blood-caked armor and is lured by blood and violence. They say if too much blood is shed by two fighting armies, this mysterious horror appears to single-handedly slaughter both sides in an unstoppable frenzy, enduring wounds beyond sane comprehension, as some swear to have seen it die, yet it returns. Those who survived the onslaught are sure to have gained an experience even the war-hardened elite can never share. (Unique 5th Veterancy Level, Immune to Fear)

Rumors I think would also be a great addition to this all ready awesome game.

I mean rumors I think would be cool to use as a spell as well to cause a rumor to become a reality by adding in a little bit of role playing elements into the game. For example a rumor could be said that there was a monster roaming around this area, wether you want to believe that it’s true or not, all you know is that you heard a rumor about something like this. So maybe even adding a bounty to slay the monster after discovering it to be true and you can’t get rid of it, ask for aid. That would at lease distract them and move their armies away from you/others to plan you next attack on their empire. =D

Also what if you were to spread a rumor to a minor race towards your enemies causing a decrease in their relationship, or spread rumors to two different major races to try and attempt to lower relations with the two peaceful players and cause them to lose their respect towards each other? ooooooooo =o I think Rumors would be awesome to add in, I can already see a plan forming in my mind to try and disrupt other players with rumors and get them to do actions that they would not other wise do or lower relations with others. =D

Zorrino

Zorrino wrote:
    Regarding seasons, I forgot to mention: The domain of your empire should’t be effected by seasons

Of course it should be affected. What’s the point of seasons otherwise? They should not care about such trifle as domains.

True, I just thought that domains would not be effected because of a spell or construct of some sorts kinda like the sorcerer spell Dome of Protection that doesn’t effect anything inside its domain but who knows maybe domains shouldn’t matter like you said. Though this idea of spell/research should maybe be far down the line of research that eventually you should be able to do something like that in a advance game. =D

johnmr531

Excellent stuff keep it coming!

Kaiosama TLJ

How much gold reserves and fame did you normally have? The chance of having merchants, heroes and mercenaries show up (and their value) was based on fame, but if the game generated something the player couldn’t afford, it wouldn’t show it.

Now that you mention it, I think the problem was Gold.

I was in constant expansion, and I spent Gold primaly on rushing structures of cities that I was going to use at maximum military capacity, and also on basic alchemy for certain spells that required much Mana. And by the time merchants came I already had a good infrastructure to create better magical items myself.

You’re talking about Grimber Ambule, Necromancer. Dunno, lich king =/= necro I guess. Though I must say I like Garresh’s idea of the “evolving” heroes.

Yep, that’s the one, but it can be fitting because if you were a Necromancer that hates the living so much what would be the first thing you would think? Find a way to become a Lich. Still, that’s just especulation, maybe it will be Nekron or even an random Lich King (or even Queen) every time, or maybe even Inioch.

Ah, random events, a great addition to this game, here i have some ideas.

-Hell on earth
    We are seeing an abnormal increase in volcanic activity, volcanic terrain expands slightly and all units without fire resistence get scorched while they fights on that terrain.

-Voice of the Planet
    Wild Animal units will spawn more frequently and get permanent savage rage, archdruids can “befriend” these great specimes, this is a limited time offer.

-General winter
    The cooldest Winter of the century begins, artic terrain expands and any unit witout frost resistence gets frostbite while they fight on artic terrain.

-Heavenly army
    This can be considered the “good” versión of the lich King event, multiple stacks of devout units, excluding crusaders and evangelists, spawn, leaded by a saint, a theocrat hero, they only attack evil players and while he is alive all devout units of good players gain holy champion, defeating him grants very powerful artifacts, but keping him alive is better for good theocrats, or humans.

-Scarlet mist
    A great curse has fallen among us, this unatural mist is spreading across this land, all battles now has choking fumes active and undead units gets the ability of life steal, this is the perfect opportunity for necromancers, and to lesser extend dreadnoughts, to attack.

I would like a random hero\leader generator, so that we could get always new and different heroes\enemy leaders. their names could be randomly created by a combination of syllables (like in warhammer blood bowl). Elven names could be combination of syllables like “Elwen” “Synn” “Eld”, orkish names stuff like “Urk” “Barrg” “Rak”. You get the idea.

Also i would like a system similar to that in AOW SM, where leaders would progressively get an nickname like “the great” “the magnificent” depending on what their achievements are.

I would like to see the armies listed before the cities in the to do list, or make two different lists. Obviously, as it is now, players every turn have to skip through the whole list of cities before they can start their turn. Nobody can manage cities before they have managed their armies: BECAUSE ARMIES MAKE MONEY AND CITIES SPEND IT.

IMO when dragon or giants cities are placed in snow or volcanic terrain they should only be able to produce either fire or ice units, or have a negative bonus to produce the creature of the opposite kind. (also to diversify between games I would like that some buildings were not available randomly in certain dwellings. So that I may struggle to conquer a dragon city to find out it only produces wyverns for example. the same could be considered for regular city as well, i am just saying this because I have the tendency to always build the same units and it is a pity considering the amount of work that went in creating all those creatures.

You could consider freezing the animation of units when they get petrified.

I know all these are just “fixes”, what I really dream is that this is not the last DLC, because i would like to see one with wood and dark elves (I miss the elven hidden cities they were tough to find, and I miss the DE’s and their dark towers A LOT!!!)

I also would like to see a DLC with Frostlings and Tigrans.

Do that, add PBEM and i will be one happy Black Knight!

(PS regarding the undead DLC I would like to see some cool-original implementation of vampirism, like: only heroes can become vampires and they can contaminate other heroes, both friend or enemies, when thy get in contact with them. Vampires would have both positive and negative bonuses)

Do you wanna get really crazy and alternate one DAY turn and one NIGHT turn… giving specific bonuses to specific creatures?

that could open a whole new world of ideas 🙂

Kaiosama TLJ

Do you wanna get really crazy and alternate one DAY turn and one NIGHT turn… giving specific bonuses to specific creatures?

that could open a whole new world of ideas :)

There was a TBS game on the Genesis/Mega Drive called Master of Monsters, and in that game there was a day/night cycle that goes like Day -> Twilight -> Night -> Dawn -> Day -> Repeat. Units had Aligments like Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic and depending of the turn some would be stronger and others weaker. (Lawful = strong at Day, weak at Night; Chaotic = strong at Night; weak at Day; Neutral = balanced)

But I don’t know if a literal day/night cycle would fit in Age of Wonders. Master of Monsters is worlds apart from AoW, it had hex grids but also had zero empire building. In AoW we can say that turns are months or even years since towns also grown in population, but we are unsure of the real “timeline”, so it’s more interesting to go more “cosmical” like these current ideas.

Still, events that benefit certain kinds of creatures are not a bad idea.

I’m one of them who wanted more features belonging to the strategic map and i’m happy that the developer agree with our/my desires. But i hope it won’t end up too much about giving combat bonuses or penalties to the units. I’m looking forward to the Lich-King Quest-Thing! But what i hope for is having bonuses and penalties to the cities itself. For e.g. having a production boost on the city which finishes the current production in the next
    turn or making the units not beeing able to leave the city if affected by the cosmic event. Another idea of mine is to have vision of all watchtowers on the map for a few turns. I think best to be in the endgame! After all i’m very curious about the DLC.
    When do we can expect it?

Greetings
    WhiteKnight

Draxynnic

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Zorrino wrote:</div>

I think there is a certain thing to be said, though, that the simple passing of seasons should not affect the happiness of cities as much as, say, turning a bunch of temperate hexes into arctic would. The races should know about the passing of seasons, and not be too affected by them at the city level.

I could see some races being affected by it on an army level, though. Races that like the heat, for instance, might get some morale penalties during the temperate winter (this includes humans, as historically wars in temperate zones tended to subside during winter months due to an unspoken mutual ‘we can’t be bothered to go to the effort of keeping armies moving in the snow’, to pick up again come spring) while races that prefer cooler climates might have penalties to their armies in temperate zones during the summer. Some races that otherwise tolerate arctic might get penalties during the winter, and the same for tropical summer.

A bigger issue, though, is that this might require pinning down exactly what length of time a ‘turn’ is. It often gets referred to as a day – this means that a season would theoretically last 90 turns, which is a long time to cop penalties from an unfavourable season.

Kaiosama TLJ

Some news ideas for events:

Unstable Nodes – Nodes all around the map will start bursting more energy than normal, giving +5 Mana. However, the unstable nature of this event will also make Nodes behave like spawning structures (except without guards if they were already explored), spawning stacks of roaming units from random Nodes at random turns. The stacks will be composed of Lesser Elementals and/or other types of creatures depending of the Node.

Gold Rush – New veins are found on mines, all Gold Mines give +5 Gold.

Haunting Presence – A supernatural presence start haunting a city. Random cities around the map receives Haunting Presence, that will reduce the Mana income by 50%. Haunted Presence is like any offensive City Enchantment and can be disjuncted, but will start with 200 Integrity. Cities with a Dome of Protection and Necromancers and Theocrats Empires are immune to this event.

Blood Moon – All Monster, Undead and Animal units become more agressive, gaining First Strike, Overwhelm and Lifesteal. Devout units on the other hand have -300 morale due to this bad omen. (cut me some slack, Terraria didn’t invented the Blood Moon 😀 )

Taykor

I think there is a certain thing to be said, though, that the simple passing of seasons should not affect the happiness of cities as much as, say, turning a bunch of temperate hexes into arctic would. The races should know about the passing of seasons, and not be too affected by them at the city level.

I don’t see a problem with that: without seasons you wouldn’t build a city in an unfavourable climate (or at least put an appropriate enchantment on it to prevent unhappiness). And if you built it on a border between favourable and unfavourable climates, you’d get an average productivity from it. As I assume that winter doesn’t cover all the map and summer doesn’t melt all the ice, with seasons we’d get almost the same situation: there would be always arctic regions, regions always tropical or temperate (! I forgot about tropical climate! Of course tropical/temperate borders should shift between seasons, too), and regions which change back and forth (and therefore productivity of cities and troops would oscillate around average there).
    So, for simplicity, passing of seasons should affect cities’ happiness. To avoid players’ confusion.

A bigger issue, though, is that this might require pinning down exactly what length of time a ‘turn’ is. It often gets referred to as a day – this means that a season would theoretically last 90 turns, which is a long time to cop penalties from an unfavourable season.

Maybe ‘turn’ is referred to as a day by players, but I’ve never seen this in the game. So it’s not a problem, actually. And it’s very unlikely it’s a day, considering cities’ growth rate. Besides, why do you think that seasons in Athla last 90 days? 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.