Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: Cosmic Events

This topic contains 138 replies, has 66 voices, and was last updated by  hadllton 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Author

poerk55

Floods!!!! Forest fires!!!!

Taykor

Forest fires!!!!

Oh. Maybe I was inattentive, but this is a new and good idea, actually.

Mourioche

@triumph:
    Be carefull to not break the game with things like this:

Floods!!!! Forest fires!!!!

Agree to add things like attack of what you want – to dynamize the game.
    Desagree to break a game without reason, or to make the game become chaotic.

Szeron

Looks fun, and reminds me of the dread of getting a Hyperspace Flux in Master of Orion..

I do, however, have a request. Could this be made into a drop-down choice during game startup with a clearly defined severity system?

Cosmic Event Severity:
    -Level 1
    -Level 2
    -Level 3
    -None

Level 1 events being simple events that can turn the tides of battle, but generally won’t change the flow of over-arcing gameplay. (variety)

Level 2 events being interesting events that requires/allows player interaction to benefit/overcome. (exploitable opportunities)

Level 3 events being major events that make everyone suffer and generally just require players to ‘weather the storm’ without being able to directly stop it. (equalizers and razors to cut ‘dead-weight’)

And by the way, seasons are not mundane at all, too. If they were realized such that they mattered, then there could be things like planning war campaigns in summer, or surprise attacks in winter (especially depending on a race you’re playing)… =)<br>
    Of course for that to work, hard work on a terraforming scripting should be done: widening and shrinking of arctic regions, freezing and unfreezing of rivers, fogs and thunderstorms in ‘spring’ and rains in ‘autumn’ (I don’t think that spring and autumn should be separate seasons, more like transitional periods when changes occur), generation of proper parties of neutral monsters (beasts, maybe sea creatures,too; and fairies, we need summer and winter fairies!), snow storms in winter and common storms in summer an so on.<br>
    Of course, winter and summer should be at least 30 turns long to not be medley.<br>
    And yes, ‘winter is coming’ is precious.

Not to mention having seasons affect growth and resource gathering, and also tactical combat!

Hell, various effects in combat would be awesome – I’m talking about simulated marsh etc areas in the battlefield….:).

Drought, floot, rain, tempest hurricanes earthquakes, all sort of diseases …some of them would bring death but other would bring mutations and would be spread to units that mix together or fight against one another (just a random chance of course, nothing fixed). I am not saying that I would enjoy any of this 😀 just throwing ideas on the table!
    bands of werewolves attacking all units and everyone when bitten (meaning wounded by a werewolf in battle) would have a chance to change into a werewolf himself once every x turns (let’s say once every 10 turns: full moon). Then the full moon turn would return and all the units mutated into werewolves would behave like crazy (not sure how chaotic that would be, pun intended 😀 ), and maybe that one turn it is night for everyone… call it “ECLIPSE” if you prefer, so that it would happen randomly without having to create a night-day cycle

Actually the random eclipses turn where the whole map is dark and the undead rule, is one of my best ideas ever 😀 and i bet the devs will like it! Oh god what would they do without me!! :p

I think there should not be things that give penalty to something, only bonuses like giving the heroes additional spellcasting points during fight or production boosts or the possibility to summon units without need of a heroe or city to spawn next to. I like the suggestion from another poster that rivers might freeze, should really be put into the game… I wish we could have all the ideas in the game….just daydreaming 🙂

Now that you mention it, I think the problem was Gold.

I was in constant expansion, and I spent Gold primaly on rushing structures of cities that I was going to use at maximum military capacity, and also on basic alchemy for certain spells that required much Mana. And by the time merchants came I already had a good infrastructure to create better magical items myself.

Definitely. The ones that are better as or equal to craftable items are very pricy and as said upthread the game doesn’t show you the ones you can’t afford. So if you spend all your gold, you wont see most offers as your start-of-turn treasury will be quite low and especially the occasional really good item will not be shown either.
    best strategy: play a full Life Myrran wizard and select dwarves as your race. You will easily get mountains of gold and hopefully keep some of it around to see all the hero, mercenary and merchants offers.

Hell, various effects in combat would be awesome – I’m talking about simulated marsh etc areas in the battlefield….:).

I would love if the battlemaps were less static and more influenced by the surrounding tiles like in older games.

meeber

I think there should not be things that give penalty to something, only bonuses like giving the heroes additional spellcasting points during fight or production boosts or the possibility to summon units without need of a heroe or city to spawn next to. I like the suggestion from another poster that rivers might freeze, should really be put into the game… I wish we could have all the ideas in the game….just daydreaming :-)

I have to disagree with this. It makes no sense to have events only give bonuses and not have other events penalties. There should be both so we praise the good times and fear the bad. To have events that give only bonuses it a bit to carebearish for me. However if they do have an advance option where you can put a check and select severity level of different Events in the game then this would satisfy both of us. You can choose to only select the beneficial events and I will choose all the events.

meeber

I have an idea for a set of events based off Class. (Class Events)

When this event happens the game will look at who is currently playing (both AI and Player) and randomly select a Class based on which classes are still alive in the game when the even starts. Those players who’s class is chosen is given a quest (hard quest) that the first one of that particular class that completes the quest gets his Leader transformed into a special leader unit that goes with the them of his class.

So for example lets say the event is a Necromancer Event then all Necromancer leaders will have a ‘dream’ that tells you to complete this quest in a certain amount of time (or have no time limit could be optional) and they will get transformed into (fill in the blank.)
    Example of the prize could be a Necromancer would turn into a Lich with a 2 to 5 level bump depending on what the devs want to add and on how tough the quest is. And also he would have some special Lich abilities.

Theocrat could turn into a Arch Angel (or Demon Lord depending on alignment if you really want to spice things up)

Rogue would turn into King of Thieves

Warrior – Not sure on this one maybe somrthing along the lines of Hercules, Thor, Conan type.

Dreadnaught – A Cyborg like Titan (Golem Lord) Basically he becomes more machine than flesh.

Sorcerer – Be comes an Archmage.

ArchDruid – Could become a Force or Nature.

Anyway what they become or what sort of quest they have to do would be details to work out. There are all sorts of possibilities to this. Another way of doing this event is to give all the players their class quest at the same time. But there can only be one to get the prize and that goes to the first one to complete the quest.
    Once the quest is complete then all the other players of that class will be informed that they failed. Now if it were up to me then I would do some sort of penalty upon those that failed the quest in the form of a plague of monsters/animals/and other units that represent that class to randomly appear next to the losers cities (all random of coarse and have at least one stack be lead by a leader of that class that is at least 5th level or higher with items. (Example – Rogue fails then a lot of the Rogue class units attack the Rogue as well as being lead by a Rogue Leader etc.)

Mourioche

After reading lot of post (and the one just above mine)…
    Be carefull.
    When you design a game, it is easy to have several ideas.
    But it is difficult to curb his enthusiasm and keep goods ideas to make a good game.

Triscopic

forgotten kingdoms

2-6 Teleporters appear across the map which link to a new layer that the event permanently adds. The layer would be one of several pre-built maps specifically built for this purpose and would be resource rich but full of high level hostiled

Ericridge

An chaos rift open up on map and it starts spawning elementals every turn and to stop it you must fight a battle and win it in the chaos rift to seal it again or bow down to your new elemental overlords.

And if you fight a battle in the chaos rift, it have exact same effects as sorcerer’s chaos rift 😛

Kaiosama TLJ

I remember that Master of Magic also had a event where all the Global Enchantments of all players where disjuncted. Admitely, re-introducing that event would be a bit frustrating, but I could see it returning as a “nerfed” version where it will damage the integrity of the spells instead, only having a chance to disjunct spells where Integrity is weak for some reason. (maybe below 100)

NuMetal

First of all I got to say that I freaking love these random events! What an awesome idea! 🙂

Here’s an event.

March of The Dire Penguins – Dire Penguins emerge from coastal and river hexes to terrorize the population. All Dire Penguins gain “race slayer” abilities for the duration of the event.

You know… the current Dire Penguins might as well be Baby Penguins(or just Penguins), which can Evolve into T3 Dire Penguins. Dire Penguins should be more… Dire.

Anyway, I like these. Also, please implement March of the Dire Penguins, and give them a awesome evolve ability…(Or change the current to be named Penguin and make it evolve to a Dire Penguin at T3..)

HELL YEAH!
    One of my most memorable games in the old games was one were I had a pair of DirePenguins being my ultimate heroes. They were much stronger than the current Dire Penguins by default and I had given them ALL the enchantments 😀
    Also the sounds they made… <3
    I’d be incredibly happy if we’d get a Tier3 Dire Penguin version (and possible evolve for the small ones) and the suggested March of the Dire Penguins event.
    Please please please please please!

Socratatus

Any Penguin that is violent and attacks people is Dire in my book. From where I come from penguins are nice and hurt no one!

Stormworm

How about a monsoon effect with heavy raining visual effect? Flying units lose flying and roads no longer give the movement speed bonus for the duration of the event. Armies and ships on water tiles take minor damage at the end of every turn.

Kubera

Rise of the Lich King: An ancient Lich King emerges to bring destruction. Multiple stacks of undead units spawn across the lands, amongst them a powerful Necromancer hero with his retinue. The Lich King is a specially designed high level hero that carries many powerful artifacts that can be taken by the player who slays him.

All units in the stack will be – “auto resurrection, if won “?
    And what some protection from “kill in battle 6 vs 1 stack of stacks”? Something like:
    1) 2 stack vs 1 stack = “Do not remove” the global spell “all the dead bodies are resurrected, join the necromancer”
    2) 3 stack vs 1 stack = written above + random dark magic attacks
    3) 4 stack vs 1 stack = written above + more random dark magic attacks
    4) 5 stack vs 1 stack = written above + necromancer to come to the aid of each turn weak “Undead units” (analogue or druid mage spells .. but, on the whole fight)
    5) 6 stack vs 1 stack = necromancer to come to the aid of each turn weak “high-level Undead units” (analogue or druid mage spells .. but, on the whole fight)

Draxynnic

I’d say that if you throw six stacks at him, you’ve already made a significant investment to taking him down and should be rewarded appropriately. He may also have a retinue of two or more stacks that remain in his general vicinity, thus limiting the ability to dogpile multiple stacks on him.

gracious11

Great ideas!!!
    But pls tell me there are more cosmic events other then these four!!!
    What about earthquake or flood?

inespie

For big global event, try to balance all that crap. for example, if you only implement those you showed here, night of the angry gods and falling cloud are very anti-dreadnought. Some things like forest fire would be more friendly to him, and adverse to others.

Ideas :

Fire from the sky : a meteor crash and change 6 hexagons to “burning wasteland” with a stack of big horrors in the center hex, that countain a big chunk of ressources. 2 littles groups of smallers horrors begin killing and destroying stuff in the neighbourhood. event should be know before, if the player have a observatory.

: visions of the second age : for one week, leader get +10 cast if placed on his city, for each level of his class building. ( seem op, but with the 1 cast/turn malus…) add a mage tower on the map, with great difficulty and reward…maybe for his conqueror, erase the x2 spell cost for battle cast for far away leader ? (for the duration of the event, of course. )

rain that create swamp, heat that dry them and turn fertile land to whatever… Regular climate event could be cool. Remember in the background that the second age wizards used to control it, and that theirs vanishing made a climate disaster.

3th age hero can still fix it, but the mana cost is much higher, and would make people search again for spells that nobody use.

Olorin

Does anyone know when the devs will release the new DLC? And have you any ideas about a possible race in that DLC?

Zorrino

Does anyone know when the devs will release the new DLC? And have you any ideas about a possible race in that DLC?

We are all wondering about that too, I think we should set up a game our selves, The guessing game, who can guess it right when they release it before they tell us. Whose with me? =D I thinking it will come out tomorrow!!! =D lol nah it might be another month or so maybe Dec 25th that would be a cool Christmas present. Or it may as well be beyond 2015 but who knows =)

Another idea for the cosmic events could be a random spell that was cast from a random players class so know one knows who cast it either on purpose or if it was a random event. =D For an example a player was playing a Druid class and a random cosmic event cause it to cast a random spell he has as a class for instance, Insect Plague onto another random player (or himself in case their were two Druids in the game). I think that will add allot to the strategy to the game play. =D

Kaiosama TLJ

And have you any ideas about a possible race in that DLC?

To be fair, I’m unsure. Since Triumph is focusing on adding an entire new class + these cosmic events + possibly a new specialization, the probability of a new race is low. However, if they are also adding a race I can see these possibilities:

Dark Elves – Necromancer and Dark Elf are a fitting combination for Meandor to return (I would imagine he would also have Earth Master and Destruction Adept), he is a really important character to the lore and not to mention that there’s still some hooks for the return of “unmended” Dark Elves. (not to mention that their models could be a bit easier to make since they would be similar to the High Elves in appearance)

Azracs – While Tigrans are more unique-looking as a race compared to Azracs (who look like Humans except Egypt-themed) we should agree that they don’t have much impact on the lore other than being Yaka’s “new” pet-race, Azracs on the other hand did a lot of stuff, both in AoW and in SM as Nomads. And if that’s the case maybe even Ke-nan would return, although not as a Necromancer (it could be fitting to him to be a Sorcerer), a new Azrac character (maybe a Queen) would be the Necromancer and the new protagonist, specially since they used to have the Trump of the Dead.

Frostlings – An extremely low possibility in my opinion but an possibility nonetheless. Little is know about the Frostlings fate except they refused to join the Commonwealth and were repelled, however Frost is also normally associated with unlife so combining these two facts there could be an Frostling Necromancer somewhere massing an army of skeletal mostrosities to enact revenge and reclaim their lands.

Either way, it’s more probable that the protagonist of the new campaing would be a Necromancer instead of a Antagonist.

Zorrino

I think the return of the Lizards race would be fun to play. =) The offspring of the Draconian, but a bit more aquatic and more adaptive to the wetlands like the Goblins “wetland foraging” they should be able to camouflage more in any environment thanks to the chameleon like skin. =D

Another would be the Shadow Demons, not only will they be the most feared of all Wonders, but the most deadliest. The Demons should all have greater life steal for all their units including their machine units as well, can you imagine Shadow Demon Necromancers? That would be pretty interesting, life stealing undead units. =)

On the other hand why not half breeds? say a Human and an Elf were your parents and you were an offspring destined to become Emperor some day, so you would customize from both races abilities and pick the ones you want either a manna bonus (elves) or a productions bonus (humans) or more picks if there was a point system. I’m sure there can be a way to balance the game play if you were to be come a half Orc, or even a Half Goblin. I mean their would be more variety in the choices you make for your unique race. =)

P.S. maybe Kobolds would be a fun addition =D

Xjorukmir

With “Shooting Stars” and a nice map lighting adjustment screenie there…

Is it too much to hope that maybe this DLC will bring about the advent of day/night cycles? And if not that, then perhaps access to maps that are permanently stuck in night? I’m a sucker for that kind of flavor and setting variety in RPG’s.

Otherwise, Cosmic Events look to make maps that much more interesting. Here’s to hoping for more of them!

Hellspirit

Ah i want those cool shadow demons pls!!!

smeagolheart

So where is the WINTER based event?

Because you know then you can go around saying “Winter is coming!” all the time until it actually happens.

I think we all want to do that, no?

Gloweye

Because you know then you can go around saying “Winter is coming!” all the time until it actually happens.

Well, you know as well as I do that whenever you say “Winter is Coming”, it might take a while.

Epaminondas

To be fair, I’m unsure. Since Triumph is focusing on adding an entire new class + these cosmic events + possibly a new specialization, the probability of a new race is low.

Actually, I was in the same camp as you, but the devs have implied that a race will be added.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.