Dev Journal: Necromancer Class Design

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: Necromancer Class Design

This topic contains 215 replies, has 105 voices, and was last updated by  Dagoth Ur 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 216 total)
  • Author

Bouh

Bouh wrote:

but I don’t think summoning undead actualy fit the necromancer.

No? I think most people do.

And, by any chance, is there a reason for this ?

Well @ Bouh, I realise I said dual channel but what I described actually sounds more like hybrid, in that you can summon (at specific locations, namely tombstones and cities, so the latter is in effect variations on call militia) any of the base Undead units (also get them in battle, which would be huge), you can only build some (I’m thinking Vampire and Adept available in cities) and the reaper would be a very unique, and powerful, T4 which can only be recruited from cities.

I also rather thought that summoning Undead was really what a Necro was all about…:S.

Anyway, the above proposal implements quite specific summoning, and quite specific building, so perhaps I should rename it as a hybrid class?

BTW, I think the doc I linked was left open to editing, so anyone can add to it…

Zorrino

I like the idea of being a good Undead, makes the game more fantasy like and unique, maybe even add a bonus for being good/evil or have certain spells unlock for being good/evil, or another idea i had for an undead was that if they were attacked and had to defend them selves, they would get a huge negative to their defenses or such, since they would be fighting in the daylight (kinda like fighting the Brigand Camp on the battle field, it’s at night) and so forth when the undead attack it should be at night and get a huge advantage to a number of different things like attack, spells they can cast, or even stealth for vampire units and so on =D so i think good/evil undead should never be the same as far as casting spells or combat tactics, that way the undead would have multiple play styles for being good/evil no two undead are ever alike =D and for a starting positions the undead should start as pure evil or pure good before the game actually starts just throwing some ideas out there =D and on a further note the undead i think if they ever take control of a city and absorb it it becomes undead right? Well when someone takes over an undead city i think they would have to purified somehow or it should be destroyed. =)

Bouh

Anyway, the above proposal implements quite specific summoning, and quite specific building, so perhaps I should rename it as a hybrid class?

Quite not. Dual channel army means that you have two channels to produce your army : one using gold and cities’ production, and another one using mana and CP.

Your system is indeed different from a pure summoner as it asks to summon from some specific place instead of anywhere, yet it is still a dual production channel.

But to me, raising undead is different from summoning them. It’s not opening a portal to the void to call a creature, or calling an animal from a close place. Raising undead involve a dark ritual and some lego play with bones and things and the equipment.

Now I’m not saying that a summoning necromancer would be a bad thing for the game. I only think it’s more fitting for undead to be produced like any other racial unit, and like any other undead currently in game and as they were in previous titles (battlefield spawned undead don’t last after the battle IIRC).

And I also think that an hybrid class would leave more space for cool thing, would be more interesting, and would fit more.
    – Summoning classes have very few units upgraded, and for a good reason (summons are already tough), so if we want cool undead racial units, hybrid or production class is better.
    – The necromancer would fit the best as the oposite of the theocrat IMO, and is closer in spirit from the theocrat and the rogue than from the sorcerer.
    – Summoning classes are not keen on swarming summoned units because the mana is limiting ; and if you bypass this limit, you have a recipe for an overpowered class.
    – Hybrid classes are cooler ! :p

Am I the only one to see the necromancer as a handyman who craft his minions and use magic only as the final touch for his job ? For me, this is closer from the rogue attaching a shadow essence into someone to make a shadow stalker than from a sorcerer opening a portal and bending the creature to his will.

I would have thought that the necromancer would need magic to do anything at all with a corpse…

Sir Bob

I know there has been some discussion on whether it would be better to implement the Necromancer as a class or the Undead as a race, but based on where Triumph seems to be going with this concept, I think that a nice balance could be struck between the two. If implemented correctly, having the Necromancer as a class could allow the player to create their own Undead race from among the other races.

For example, let’s say you are an elf necromancer. Initially you start with regular elf units, but as new class abilities are unlocked (perhaps through knowledge-based empire upgrades), your elf population begins to change in various stages (perhaps from “elf” to “corrupted elf” to “blighted elf” to “undead elf”). With each stage the look of you cities and units would become increasingly dead-ish, and inherent abilities would be modified to reflect those changes while retaining the relevant core racial attributes. For example, despite all their extra undead modifiers, undead elf archers would still have better ranged attack strength than undead dwarf archers. This would mean that your race choice still matters, but that the undeath modifiers to your race apply changes on top of that specific race (perhaps even in unique ways that differ between races).

Here’s a better-organized example of what I’m thinking:

Elf:
    – Just a normal-looking elf.
    – Likes trees. Shoots bows. Makes festive toys for Santa. Yay! 😀

Corrupted Elf:
    – Slightly pale/withered look (maybe like dark elves from the original AOW).
    – Minor undead bonuses/weaknesses on top of elvish racial attributes.
    – Now indifferent toward subterranean climate, and dislikes (instead of hates) blighted climate.

Blighted Elf:
    – Deteriorating/early-stage zombie look with slightly glowing eyes.
    – Moderate undead bonuses/weaknesses on top of elvish racial attributes.
    – Now dislikes temperate climate, and is indifferent to both subterranean and blighted climates.

Undead Elf:
    – Skeletal/deteriorated corpse look with brightly glowing eyes.
    – Major undead bonuses/weaknesses on top of elvish attributes.
    – Now hates temperate climate, is indifferent to subterranean climate, likes blighted climate, and dislikes (instead of hates) volcanic climate.
    – Unique undead elf ability (Evil Forest:) Adds a bonus when fighting in forested tiles (like +1 poison damage, cause fear ability, or something along those lines). Undead units from other races would also get unique bonuses at the final stage of undeath, but those bonuses would reflect a trait that we might expect an evil version of that particular race to have. Maybe some entirely new abilities could be added for this purpose 😀

I like this approach because it seems to make more sense than just adding a vague “undead” race to the game, while still allowing for inherent undead attributes that interact with the core racial attributes in unique and interesting ways. I mean, what exactly were the undead in AOW I and II? Were they undead humans? Elves? Archons? They certainly didn’t seem to be Frostlings, Halflings, Dwarves, or any of the beast races. But why not? Can you imagine the unholy terror of being chased by a little Undead Halfling farmer with a pitchfork and glowing eyes and zombie chickens? That’s the stuff of nightmares, for sure.

I have read through a lot of other great ideas on here. It’s good to see Triumph not only welcome input from their fans, but actually seek to incorporate that input into their game as well!

Zorrino

cool necromancer idea: every time a battle occurs place bone icon on that spot, maybe necromancer sees it, no one else… later… the necromancer can raise a temporary army 3 or more units if in domain or necromancer is at location. This would be temporary tied to level of necromancer and maybe the necromancer ability researched. Maybe level of necromancer = number of units and ability researched = 3 + ability turns of existence. If its too powerful … have a percent chance that glowing bone icon appear for a necromancer or maybe tied to his level. something like (10 + necromancer’s level)% chance that glowing bones icon appears. Since the Druids has Befriend animal, the Necromancer should have control undead. =D

ODAVID2

A lot to read,… I just want to give 2 ideas devs could get any of both

Necromancer as Race: Necromancer is different to undead so there should be like, archer necromancer (any different name), swordman necromancer (also something different) tier 2 and 3 something like that, we dont need to add monsters or undead to this race becouse they are necromancers, And when any of our necromancer units kill an enemy, they could be converted to an ally undead, and the more the tier level the better that passive necromancy skill.

Necromancer as Class: just some necro units and necro skills to add to any race, just like sorccerer, roge, theocrat or any other.

Sorry about my english if anything is wrong, but still I just want to participate.

Taykor

I don’t really understand why many people think that a population cost is required for producing units for Necromancer. In perfectly normal cities there is really huge number of dead bodies in cemeteries, Necromancer could easily avoid killing anyone if you make a suitable lore for him.
    A population cost even more suits common producing classes – trained units aren’t part of a population any more.

ODAVID2

And, in adition to what I just wrote,

Tier 1 necro unit would have as passive skill every time they kill an enemy they could have a % of possibilities to be converted to an allied zombie.

Tier 2 Necro could have same skill but more possibilities to convert.

Tier 3 Necro would have an advanced o superior skill wich every kill could convert that unit into an Undead unit of the same level they were when alive.

Gloweye

- Summoning classes have very few units upgraded, and for a good reason (summons are already tough), so if we want cool undead racial units, hybrid or production class is better.

Well, you’re bound to have noticed that I, even though calling it a summoning class, have always proposed 2 build-units in your cities. (support and a Vampire). So you will build some stuff, but use magic/mana to raise your army of cheap flesh

- Summoning classes are not keen on swarming summoned units because the mana is limiting ; and if you bypass this limit, you have a recipe for an overpowered class.

Well, if the CP is reduced, you can raise a big army fast. however, IMO mana for upkeep should be the main reason to not raise every single corpse you make.

- Hybrid classes are cooler ! :p

Even if they currently are, which some people might disagree at, why should that be a general rule? I’m sure they can come up with some pretty awesome things – they practically said in the news post that they didn’t include it in the main game because they weren’t sure they could devote to it the time it deserves…

Also, the BBB’s Tombstones will deviate the gameplay strongly from that of the summoner class you know. If you’re spells are restricted to the sites of past battles, and the number of units raised restricted to how many units died, than it WILL hinder/influence the current typical summoning on the fly. You might have to skip turn earlier because you have to wait for the CP to fill your army out again.

Bouh

Well, you’re bound to have noticed that I, even though calling it a summoning class, have always proposed 2 build-units in your cities. (support and a Vampire). So you will build some stuff, but use magic/mana to raise your army of cheap flesh

Like an archdruid, a summoning class.

And unless the summoned undead are tied to the units who died, summoning would make the necromancer a summoning class even if they are not summoned anywhere. What differenciate summoning classes from the other is the ability to produce units from mana and CP instead of gold and cities ; and here the important difference is CP versus cities. This is what make a summoning class a summoning class. And hybrid class differ from production class by most of their upgrades coming from spells instead of passive empire upgrades.

- Hybrid classes are cooler ! :p

This was an expression of my taste. I know very well that people will prefer a summoning class or a production class. They are both end of the spectrum and people always have trouble with hybrid things. Yet I already explained why I think an hybrid class would fit the necromancer more.

Here another reason : hybrid class structure perfectly fit the necromancer. Hybrid classes have empire upgrade that modify gameplay unlike other classes (see devout and cruel backstab) ; hybrid classes rely on spells more than upgrades or summons ; hybrid classes still produce units so aren’t limited by CP in late game. This concour to make the necromancer a class relying on magic, with very different gameplay, and able to fit many necromancer theme, from the hordes of undead to the secrete occult magic.

meeber

As I expected – only 2 expansions for AoW3.<br>
    So where’re now people who had said they thought the game would be supported much longer, when I criticized Golden Realms for lack of real content as for being called ‘Expansion’, hm?<br>
    Still I was hoping they were right, and it was only my pesimism because of being gamedeveloper myself…<br>
    I wonder , if the game sold too little or they got some new thrilling project.

I would also like an info if the game will be still patched after this last expansion, or is it going to be no longer supported ?

Speaking about Necromancer, I would love this class to be implemented, so I am waiting for more info. Artwork looks nice though.

I read the article several times but could not find anything that said this was going to be the last expansion. What am I missing?

meeber

Ok I still think that the Undead race should be created. I like the Idea of the Necromancy transforming his racial units to undead but there should also be an undead race as there were in previous AOW games. That can be used with any class. I was hoping that the Necromancer expansion would also come with the Undead (and hopefully other races.)

meeber

Let the Archons ascend from the dead to their other-wordly form and become a full-fledged race, please… I have sorely missed them, the majestic, god-blessed and always evil-defying folk.

I second this

The bad news: No undead race means no skeletal musketeers that have to pick themselves up after each salvo 🙁

Now on to how would I make a Necromancer:

First I’d make a split between corporeal and incorporeal undead where the former are build or reanimated and the latter are summoned. All corporeal undead units are slightly weaker than for their tier but can evolve into a stronger form which is slightly stronger. Summoned undead are on par and evolve into higher tiers.

Corporeal Units:

Corporeal units exist as a parallel to normal military units and have racial traits.

Zombie (Irregular) -> Flesh Hulk

Skeleton Infantry -> Battle Wights

Skeleton Archers -> Soulstealers

Skeleton Pikemen -> Undead Guardians

Skeleton Cavalry -> Death Knights

Necromancer (Support) -> Lich

Bone Horror (Monster) -> Walking Grave

These should all be obvious in concept.

Summons:

Lost Soul (T1 Scout) -> Vengeful Soul (T2 Physical resistant, debuffing ranged unit) ->
    Banshee (T3 AoE attacks and debuffs) -> Incarnate (T4, as in Shadow Magic, including Drain Willpower)
    Each tier can be summoned on its own.

Ghost (T1 melee incorporeal) -> Wraith -> Wraith King

Spells:

Blessing of Blood: Unit Enchantment that gives the enchanted unit Lifesteal and other bonuses. If it survives the battle and has killed an opponent it becomes a racial vampire unit, which an evolve further into Vampire Lord. IF Werewolves get added they could work on a similar route with a modified berserk spell.

Raise Undead Horde: Needs to be cast on city ruins and raises a full army of undead of that race, tiers depend on city size.

Fulfill the Promise: Unit Enchantment that can only be cast on friendly units with “Marked by Death” (see below). When the unit dies this combat it is raised as a permanent corporeal undead equivalent. Later spells have a battlefield wide effect or no target restrictions.

The Resurrect Hero spell should be replaced with Reanimate Hero which makes the revived Hero undead.

Grave Assault : Target City gets attacked by their suddenly walking dead. Creates a neutral undead army at target city that attacks it.

Revive City: Having mastered life and death the Necromancer can not only resemble life but return it. Reconstructs a city or dwelling under your control, as if a settler was used and adds a small undead garrison

Buildings:

Besides the class building all corporeal undead also need the respective military building. So Barracks for Skeleton Infantry and War Hall for Skeleton Riders.

– Necromantic Cabal (- 100 morale):
    Allows building T1 corporeal undead in the city
    Every living unit build in this city receives the “Marked by Death” ability which gives it +20% frost and blight resistance and will be instrumental with many Necromancer spells. It can also key off to further empire upgrades or spells (like giving each of those units the Undead property)

– Boneyard (+5 mana)
    Allows building T2 & 3 corporeal undead
    Undead units summoned within the city limits gain a bonus

– Chapel of the Revered Ancestors (+ good alignment, + 5 knowledge, +100 mana cap, +200 morale) or Slaughter Pit (+ evil alignment, +5 production, -100 morale), only one can be built

Allows building one of the Necromancer T4s, Angel of Death (Mix between Black Angel and Reaper). If built in in a city with a Chapel it gains Holy and Unholy Champion and resurgence. If built in a city with a Slaughter Pit it gains +2 to all stats, Death Bomb and Frost Aura.

Empire Upgrades:

Tier V: Undead Ideals:
    Undead built in a city with a Chapel of the Revered Ancestors earn 50% more XP. Living Untis produced in a city with a Chapel of the Revered Ancestors gain high morale.
    Slaughter Pits give 10 more production. Undead built in a city with a Slaughter Pit have all their attributes reduced by 2, -5 HP, lose Evolve and gain Resurgence and Lifesteal.

Further Upgrades could focus on enhancing “Marked by Death” or the societal impact of undead labor.

This is just a first draft of concepts though. But my intention with this is to enable undead horde tactics as well as the elite hard undead core of a more regular army or small but tough undead armies.

One thing with undead so far is the lack of healing, that an undead class must fix. Either only Archon undead don’t heal normally, or the class needs some capability to heal its undead. For example they could heal on blight terrain, but that would make Destruction a far too important pick.

Draxynnic

Regarding the debate on whether necromancers should be summoners:

As BBB points out, raising undead is naturally going to require someone to do something magical. Lesser undead can probably be animated by acolytes (or whatever the necromancer’s equivalent to apprentices ends up being called) but the necromancer would still theoretically have the capability to animate them through his own power (and casting points). However, it’s reasonable to presume that at some point you’re going to have things that only the master has the power to animate and control.

This allows for a true hybrid class design. Lesser undead can be produced in cities, but can also be created by the necromancer directly on battlefields where units have died. Some high-level summons, however, can only be produced through the master’s personal attention.

I say ‘true hybrid’ because I don’t really consider the rogue and theocrat to be hybrids on the summoning/production axis. They’re production classes through and through – all they can summon is scouts (but so can dreadnoughts) unless they add additional hybridisation through a specialisation. There is a distinction between rogue and theocrat on one side and dreadnought and warlord on the other – that distinction is that the former are production classes that rely on spells to get an extra edge, while the latter are production classes that rely more on empire upgrades.

As I envision it, the necromancer would sit between the archdruid and the rogue/theocrat – it has more units that can be produced in cities than the archdruid has, but it also has the capability of summoning high-end units through CPs as well, and probably needs to do so to get its tier 4 unit.

I like the idea of the basic units becoming undead but I don’t think it needs to be gradual. I also feel like the theme for the necromancer should be one of consumption. The undead don’t regenerate. They don’t reproduce… they can only consume what the living provide to grow bigger. The line of good and evil being drawn by whether as a faction you actively seek to increase your numbers through war or passively let those fearful of the finality of death come to you. In this vein I propose this

-Passive upgrade giving racial (except support that would be a separate upgrade)units an undead skin and undead traits but no other changes. Halts passive city growth.
    – a tier 1 spell… call it say “allure of undeath” grants target city +250 population growth a turn.
    – Passive ability when razing a target city a portion of it’s population is applied to the nearest city you control. (lets say 20-40%)
    – Obligatory Raise city spell with the city population being 60% of what the total was prior to being razed.
    – Spell that instantly desolates a two hex radius for resources, changing the terrain to barren.
    -Global spell “Exodus” Enemy and friendly city populations clamor to your gates seeking release from the fear and difficulty of living. Cities you control gain +1000 population and +25 gold Per turn. Tier 5 or 6 spell.

As far as unit spells and abilities, I’d like to see some creative use with life steal and frost. For instance,
    – support units have an ability that when activated gives their ranged or melee attacks life steal of (1) but that health is given to target a unit until end of combat. Usable only once per combat.
    – All Irregular units are granted resurrection.
    – Tier 3 or 4 could be a monster like the hive queen from shadow magic, chance to consume a unit upon killing blow and spit out a reanimated version of the unit. Not sure how to work that in lore wise though. Maybe a resurrect one shot ability on a lich of some sort?

Just my two cents

Gloweye

nd unless the summoned undead are tied to the units who died, summoning would make the necromancer a summoning class even if they are not summoned anywhere.

Im not sure if I stated it in this thread before, but I am sure i did in a seperate one, my suggestion would be to indeed tie them to the units that would have died, by giving the skeletons the race of the units they are animated from. So Elf Skeletons will have +1 ranged strength and +1 resistance, and orc skeletons will have +5 HP and +1 melee damage.

Dunno about Drac skeletons though….fast healing on undead seems a bit strong. You might just suicide your own units so you can raise them as undead, which IMO isn’t the point of Necromancer.

So the lineup would look like this:
    Animated:
    T1
    Skeletons of varying sorts (CP cost(15-20), requires corpse, gains racial traits of corpse used, type of skeleton dependent on used corpse(Infantry, Archer, etc.))
    T2
    Ghosts(Incoporeal, CP cost(30-40), requires corpse(minimum tier?), racial traits up for debate)
    Supporttype(Build in city, animates skeletons, build=racial units)
    T3
    Vampire(Build in City, Racial units, Lifesteal+strategic healing+seduce)
    Bone Horror(CP cost(50-60), requires mulitple corpses, NO racial traits, regrowth, wall crushing)
    T4
    Dread Reaper(CP cost (200-250), pure summoning unit, badass?)

Or, take the support to T3, the Horror to T4 and remove the Reaper.

So that would mean 3 animated from battlefield at CP discount prices, 2 build in cities and 1 pure summon. It would be mana-intensive, and I believe mana/corpse availability should be the only restraining factor for army size in most cases.

Also, have the class building increase mana income by 10/level, as to enable you to build against your mana-hungry economy when RNG screws you over.

So, Bouh, Would you call my above proposal a summoning class or not? They all need CP, but the race of the corpses certainly makes a difference.

Bouh

So, Bouh, Would you call my above proposal a summoning class or not? They all need CP, but the race of the corpses certainly makes a difference.

Would still be a summoning class, eventhough the ideas are good. 🙂

Gloweye

Enough that it might be callen a Fun (Oh, the impossibility!) Summoning class?

LordBlade

I just want to be able to play as Undead again. I miss it so much. Undead are always my first pick when I play games like this.

Leon Feargus

I am just going to quote this first because I agree so much with it:

I don’t really understand why many people think that a population cost is required for producing units for Necromancer. In perfectly normal cities there is really huge number of dead bodies in cemeteries, Necromancer could easily avoid killing anyone if you make a suitable lore for him.<br>
    A population cost even more suits common producing classes – trained units aren’t part of a population any more.

Now then,
    I had a long post some pages ago which wasn’t really picked up but I would really like some feedback on the base idea which I think the necromancer class should revolve around.

It’s this:
    ‘Animated’ as a unit trait.
    (Animated would constitute something like this: + 20 hp, – 6 mp, -5 damage, -3 defence and -3 resistance, no regeneration, mind control immunity, resurgence, no racial traits)

Necromancers would not only need Cemetary city-upgrade but also Reawakening city enchantment active to produce these units, which would cost mana to produce and sustain. Without Reawakening spell the city would produce regular units.

‘Dark Art’ unit ability.
    Melee strikes may afflict enemy with the Animated trait.
    Available on necro leader/hero, t2 support at gold rank, t4 reaper.

This would result in the necromancer’s foes ending up with Animated units while not having the infrastructure to buff those units, whereas the necromancers themselves are able to heal and upgrade their Animated units.

It is all on the assumption that it is a feasible task to alter all racial units slightly in appearance and perhaps animations (no pun intended)

Gloweye

It is all on the assumption that it is a feasible task to alter all racial units slightly in appearance and perhaps animations (no pun intended)

I think this alone is going to be to much work for triumph to even look into.

But lets say that one gets dropped.

How exactly would that Animated get inflicted? like you got an enchanted sword, hit me, and *poof*, I am an animated undead? And what’s the point of inflicting Resurgence on enemy units?

Also, current Inflict abilities only affect units during the combat. I really don’t think its a good idea to change that.

And lets say you hit some units – but to be able to have your opponent have issues with them, those units need to survive the battle first – which means you’ve lost the battle.

And about the buffs, isn’t it just easier to buff the undead trait? That one already will be on a good portion of your units, already exists, and is already used as a marker for a lot of effects, from immunities like the cases of mass curse/choking fumes to vulnerabilities like Holy Champion/Bane of the Unnatural.

kixleart

i really look forwards to the necromancer, especially with golden realms! undead halflings have potential to be one of the creepiest things in the game.

jakjak

Personally Id rather not have some whacky mechanic that makes them a lot different to play.
    -Id just add as empire upgrades some sort of template that effects your racial units it could have degrees or multiple upgrades
    -I think zombies skeletons vampires bone horrors necro mages etc should be made in cities,ghosts and dread reapers summoned.
    -I think that having a necromage is the best way to go because you could have some passive ability that has a 30-50% chance of raising each humanoid killed as a zombie or skeleton this could work in battle after a # of rounds but id prefer it as a strategic mechanic if I had to pick after battles it can also be a leader upgrade. If you want to bolster this then as a level upgrade or hero upgrade you can have an active ability raise greater undead. Id probably make them weaker overall but give them decent abilities slow xp gain but evolutions something like…

UNITS

Floating eyeball- as a scout maybe doom gaze at gold medal
    Zombie-slow and weak has to have regrowth maybe low attack but with 1 blight and 1 spirit I think and poison spit crippling wounds as level ups Id make them gain xp at half the normal rate cus well they are mindless then have them evolve into flesh goloms which can gain as level ups fearsome and a passive inflict disease which randomly inflicts noxious vulnerability,brain rot, enfeebling fever, exhausting fatigue or blind
    Necromage-starts with passive raise undead after battles and poison bolts gets control undead and heal undead maybe a moral boost only for undead at level ups gains xp at half rate because they are focused on becoming a liche evolves into a liche giving mind control immunity and nagafire then as level ups active raise greater undead, ranged life steal, maybe extra blight damage they would end up after a lot of work slightly less powerful offensivly than apprentices slightly better at staying alive and then being able to raise dead which should also require empire uprades
    Ghost-incorporeal higher resistance phase energy drain or something maybe broken spirit at gold
    Bone Horror-high Hp slow swallow whole wallcrushing projectile resistance maybe tireless at gold
    Dread Reaper -fearsome life steal passwall then as level ups thow curse a %chance of instant death touch attack

LEADER UPGRADES

So much that can be done here has to include raise undead raise greaer undead could be ghost based- phase,incorporeal army,freezing touch,siren scream liche based-weaken,naga fire,ranged life steal,fearsome army,march of the undead giving regrowth vampire based- seduce, regeneration, life steal for army you could double resistances upgrades but make them also give a weakness you could do the same with a bone armor type deal possibilities here are practically limitless

SPELLS

Lots you could do here as well Im not gonna spend time here but I kinda wanna see a blood sacrifice so we can see undead or obsidian dragons maybe just randomly kills 8 tiers worth of your units to summon one

EMPIRE UPGRADES
    Again lots you can do here I think if you are going to be raising undead upkeep reduction is a must for low tier units and I think again this is the best place for changing racial units and allowing mages to raise dead

Necromancer confirmed, it seems that the only undead of my dreadnought armies would be the Archons.

Anyway, for the upcoming class i would suggest:

-Evil Eye: a floating eye as scout summon is,indeed, a very good idea, look at the warlord for a example of what happens if you don’t have one. The eye needs +1 visión, doom gaze or fairy fire? and true sigh, too strong? it has 15 hp and no melee attack.

-skeleton soldier: You can produce this T1.5 infantry, projectile resistance, overhelm resurgence and polearm (by virtue of using two-hand weapons), 10 melee attack and 40 health, at veteran they recibe the ability of come back at full health every 3 turns when they are defeated in the battlefield, tireless at gold.

Carrion bird/wraith/bone wyvern/Phantom ensemble: Four T2 units as part of the ” summon undead monster” spell, the group of phantoms are the new adition, they are incorporeal, have fire/spirit/shock bolts to simbolize that they are ghosts of different people, pure physical melee and phase at veteran.

-Death cultist>racial<: Sorcerer apprentice 2.0 T3 support. Primary attack is “Stygian bolts”, spirit, blight and frost damage, blight and physical for melee, has the ability to revive a slayed foe as a undead once per battle.

-Bone horror: T3 unit, projectile resistance, fearsome, Wall crushing and tireless at veteran, like the skeleton this can revive every 3 turns once it reach gold.

-wraith King/bone dragon/ spectre/ death knight: part of ” summon undead horror” spell spectre has phase, incorporeal, life drain, ranged attack that heals 50% of the damage that deals, and fearsome, this also has 50 ph. Meanwhile the (death) knight is like a knight with 30 mp, dual blight physical melee(pestilence), inflict spirit breaking (war) and dominated at gold (conquest). All T3 expect bone dragon, it has a very small chance of being summoned.

Reaper: T4 summon, incorporeal, floating, killer momentum and soul harvest, each unit killed restores 30% of the reaper hp, his attack is 10 physical/3 bligh/3 spirit/3 frost/3 fire, quite extreme but that melee attack is his only attack.

The only empire upgrade that i can suggest is give all suport units heal undead, a la theocrat.

Oh and Great Reawakening needs to be a spell for this class.

Draxynnic

-Evil Eye: a floating eye as scout summon is,indeed, a very good idea, look at the warlord for a example of what happens if you don’t have one. The eye needs +1 visión, doom gaze or fairy fire? and true sigh, too strong? it has 15 hp and no melee attack.

Doom gaze or fairie fire would indeed be too strong for the t1 scout role. Personally, I’m also inclined to doubt whether a floating eye is really the best option – I’d be more inclined to make it some sort of roving spirit or the like. Closest to a wisp in behaviour, although swapping out static shield for something else.

For the love of the Gods, just put (living) Archons back in. I’ll buy ANY expansion, if you only put the Archons in as a playable primary race.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.