Dev Journal: New Race Upgrade System

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: New Race Upgrade System

This topic contains 129 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  Sartarius 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Gloweye

Well I’m guessing the diety/deity level stuff is supposed to be game changing, i.e “OP” much like the class ultimate skills, in which case they shouldn’t show up very frequently!

But it might become a strat to “rush” a certain race’s XP, to try and get an edge. However, you’ll be paying in diversity for that, which is the kind of choice I like.

AwesomeLion

… on that screenshot above, shouldn’t Diety instead be Deity … sorry

LOL! Sharp eyes indeed. I can’t believe that eluded me for so long considering how many times it’s come up =p

As the titles are patheon styled, I believe it should be Deity as well =)

But it might become a strat to “rush” a certain race’s XP, to try and get an edge. However, you’ll be paying in diversity for that, which is the kind of choice I like.

Very much this. It becomes a choice really. Racial diversity or mono-cultured superiority? I love this concept =D

Ericridge

I’ve been thinking about race command for quite some time now…. and noticed just now after not sleeping for whole night.

Lvl 1 Dwarf Military: All Dwarf Crossbowmen units now have an additional +2 range damage

That means Dwarven crossbowmen just got awesome, they now can kite enemy infantry!

Lvl 3 Dwarf Military: All First Born get the Ancient Ancestor ability (+300 morale to adjacent dwarven units) and +2 Fire Melee Damage

That means by grouping up in battle, they combat hated terrain penalty and city debuffs like dread omen etc. XD Making them harder to kill. Great job there.

And then.. I went and observed the Draconian Race Command..

And noticed!

For each level of race upgrade you can choose either Racial Unit upgrade or, Racial City Upgrade!

It makes me wonder how good the city upgrades compared to racial unit upgrades is!

Cheaper Storehouses is likely to be quite a mediocre pick compared to +1 def and +5 hp for archer units XD

Ehmm! It will be interesting to see all the upgrades XD This just might make me stop playing Humans all the time for once lol

Taykor

That means Dwarven crossbowmen just got awesome, they now can kite enemy infantry!

No. This means they have +2 damage for range attacks.

Heinhaim

Damn, that’s some good addition, races lacked depth and now!

UltraDD

No one noticed the frostling race icon is like a rogue assassin for some reason :P.

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

Governance… good name! We were never too happy with Command

Once you gain perks, they stay, but it doesn’t mean getting bad relations with your prime race won’t be a bad things.

There is a lot more to race relations; like the interaction with indie cities. We’ll discuss this in future dev journals.

Gyor

Where is the frostlings icon?

cst

Awesome idea, this is turning out to be the best TBS on the market currently, give these devs more money

Nyanko

First picture, right below humans.

Eji1700

Well I’m guessing the diety/deity level stuff is supposed to be game changing, i.e “OP” much like the class ultimate skills, in which case they shouldn’t show up very frequently!

Yeah I’m guessing that’s the idea. My concern is more “are these effects strong enough to justify that”.

The goblin tier 5 seems good enough, as by that point you’ll have a metric ton of land anyways, and gold is easy to convert into whatever you want it to be, so it’s a nice generic “end this now” thing.

The draconian one however seems..off. Racial units are ok, and +3 fire across all of them is nice, but this is at a point in the game when i’m guessing anyone playing against you is already going to have heroes with fire resist aura’s on them.

AZJaguar

Happy New year Devs and all others.

I love this idea about perks gained for each race. Now it is more realistic to the races. I was a bit disappointed on every race loving me, even if I razed and pillaged them constantly…. Now the future Frostling raiders can actually be hated by all the other races when they start invading the North and booting them all South.

Love the fact that we will be only able to select one at each level instead of both, give a feeling of difference between each game instead the same thing each time.

Diety…..Spellchecker please.

Love the name idea that was tossed out there instead of “Race Command”. That one sounds too much like an evil dictator’s choice of wording. “Race Governance” sounds more friendly since we can become a deity at tier 5.

Gamling Has a great idea with his/her three different units based on alignment. However I think it best to have this set aside as it’s own patch since it would be big and would push the release date back further. But I too would love to see such.

I suggest doing something with the evil aspect of migrating cities so that those that goes to evil alignment dose not have an edge with racial perks over those that wishes to lean to good alignment. I say Migrating causes that race to hate you more but dose not effect your alignment, cause to the race you are migrating it too thinks it was an act of good for them.

I still wish to have something similar to my Leader Perk idea added that I posted on this journal That would make me go to heaven with this game.

Thought for Tier 3 Frostling empire upgrade. All Frostling cities radiates tundra climate and changes it’s domain radius to snow and ice. 🙂 *squee*

All in all I love this dev team, Giving us new stuff to make a great game better. Also not trying to rush the DLCs too early like others have done with a game just to give us a horrible bugged game. Good Job Devs and keep up the good work.

P.S. Fun Thought with racial happiness and relations(mostly Happiness) When we play one game through with leader “X”. We get say a race that really hates us for example purpose on a scale of -100 to 100 (0 being pure neutral – is hated) We get said -100 with that race. Have it so the next game we play using leader “X” that race’s relations with that leader starts off half of the last game’s ending relationship. So a -50, same with a race’s + rank have it halved in the next game played. But if we play leader “Z” those relations of leader “X” dose not effect the relations at the start. This would add a more fun balance between scenarios so that what we do in one game to win it would have an impact on the start of the next one. Not to be mixed between online games and single player games.

AZJaguar

Forgot to mention.

Idea thought.

An upgrade or a tier 2 Item Forge. With the Tier 2 building of it you could upgrade an item you own and had made yourself to add more to it. High gold in doing such. Also add a section where you could make an item that a leader could take off to a location to found a dwelling of your choice.

I love the Fey dwelling and always seek one out with each game, but hate it when one dose not spawn on the current map so I would love to be able to build them. Will also be great with Arcons for the Necromancer. But make it so you can not do it more than twice per game as not to make it to one sided.

Gyor

I think having good/evil/ nuetral verisons of all units would be a giant undertaking, that’s a massive amount of units, but if people want alignment to have more of an effect, I’d suggest a quest where after being nuetral, pure good, or pure evil for x amoiunt of turns straight you can access to an alignment based building, say the Temple of Light for Pure Good, the Temple of Twilight for Nuetral, and the the Temple of Darkness for Pure Evil each of which grants a small bonus to aligned units and allows you to Racial verison of Paladins, Monks, and Blackguards. So you run a Pure Good Empire and build a Temple of Light i a Frostling city you can build a Frostling Paladin, a Temple of Darkness in a halfling city would allow you to build Gollum, er I mean a Halfling Blackguard, a Temple of Twilight in an Elvish City would allow you to build sparkily vampires, oops I meant Monks.

And yes I was inspired by the priest units from Age of Wonders two, but gave it a a couple of strong Age of Wonders III twists.

I just think its more realistic.

Ravenholme

Governance… good name! We were never too happy with Command

Once you gain perks, they stay, but it doesn’t mean getting bad relations with your prime race won’t be a bad things.

There is a lot more to race relations; like the interaction with indie cities. We’ll discuss this in future dev journals.

Hooray, I was useful.

And that sounds to me having bad relations with a race will at the very least give a negative morale penatly to troops of that races, but it may be grander in scale than I can imagine.

I think having good/evil/ nuetral verisons of all units would be a giant undertaking, that’s a massive amount of units, but if people want alignment to have more of an effect, I’d suggest a quest where after being nuetral, pure good, or pure evil for x amoiunt of turns straight you can access to an alignment based building, say the Temple of Light for Pure Good, the Temple of Twilight for Nuetral, and the the Temple of Darkness for Pure Evil each of which grants a small bonus to aligned units and allows you to Racial verison of Paladins, Monks, and Blackguards. So you run a Pure Good Empire and build a Temple of Light i a Frostling city you can build a Frostling Paladin, a Temple of Darkness in a halfling city would allow you to build Gollum, er I mean a Halfling Blackguard, a Temple of Twilight in an Elvish City would allow you to build sparkily vampires, oops I meant Monks.

And yes I was inspired by the priest units from Age of Wonders two, but gave it a a couple of strong Age of Wonders III twists.

Honestly? I really like this idea. Give them Dedicated to Good/Evil/Neutral so any built units will likely desert if your alignment changes, and make the structure auto-raze from your cities if your alignment shifts from their band (Pure Good/Slightly Good for the Good Temple, Slightly Good/Neutral/Slightly Evil for the Neutral one, and Slightly Evil/Pure Evil for the Evil one)

Gyor

Alternatives to Blackguards that sound more AOWs, Death Knight and my prefered one executioner.

Ravenholme

Alternatives to Blackguards that sound more AOWs, Death Knight and my prefered one executioner.

Death Knight sounds too Necromancer-like, Executioner doesn’t really do much for me (And was a Dark Elf unit, iirc, in 2 and SM). Blackguard works fine.

Athei

Race happiness?

Wait, so my forum ranting was actually taken seriously? Thank you guys, a hundred times thank you! You rock!!!

P.S. Oh, and Happy New Year 🙂

Ericridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ericridge wrote:</div>

No. This means they have +2 damage for range attacks.

Oh my bad, my lack of sleep shows itself.

Gloweye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gyor wrote:</div>

First picture, right below humans.

Reminded me more of undead…maybe a placeholder?

Nice idea here. You could give produce units a dedicated trait, and maybe unlock a bonus unit? Or maybe just give all produced units +10% HP/whatever and the Dedicated trait.

However, just auto-destroy the building whenever it’s held by a player with incompatible alignment. Those troops’d destroy a temple so opposed by their beliefs right away.

Yelok

Indeed Glow, it seems to be undead frostling city.

Kaiosama TLJ

I have one question though, on the second screen where draconian buffs are shown – shouldn’t the fifth tier be titled “Deity” instead of “Diety”?

Sorcerer needs food, badly.

Race happiness?

Wait, so my forum ranting was actually taken seriously?

It was already stated before by the devs they want to implement that, although not in the way you would like it.

They stated that races would not be racist by default, and the “relations” would be more tied to your Leader’s actions against them. Example: Orcs would hate you only if you razed/plundered their villages.

Gyor

The hood in the Frostling pic is because low level male racial units are all wearing hoods.

As for deity vs diety its a prototype cut these guys some slack, who cares if the prototype is misspelled.

Athei

They stated that races would not be racist by default, and the “relations” would be more tied to your Leader’s actions against them. Example: Orcs would hate you only if you razed/plundered their villages.

Which is exactly what I wanted. You can see that if you read my posts more carefully.

Kaiosama TLJ

Which is exactly what I wanted. You can see that if you read my posts more carefully.

I did, and your posts say otherwise. Your old suggestion was to give default racism to the races similar to the older games.

And to be fair, the direction the devs are taking is far more interesting. Migrating every city in sight and making a monocultural empire maybe would be advantageous to gring “quicker” race XP for many upgrades with the drawback of everyone hating you, while making a multicultural empire would not be as quick but would offer optins to face situations where your main race would normally struggle.

NEHZ

It makes me wonder how good the city upgrades compared to racial unit upgrades is!

Logically, this would depend on wether you’re planning to produce the unit. If you’re not going to build more than 1 or 2 of them, getting a cheaper city structure is worth more, as that will save you money and production time on multiple cities. If you’re building about 4 of those units and have only 1 or 2 cities, the choice becomes a bit more difficult. If you’re planning on spamming those units, the unit upgrade becomes obvious.

Athei

I did, and your posts say otherwise. Your old suggestion was to give default racism to the races similar to the older games.

Actually I would have preferred if the races liked/disliked one another like they were in the AoW2, but what I really wanted was to have any kind of racial happiness depending on your treatment towards the race in question.
    Here’s a random quote of myself from the topic I started (because I like to quote myself :))

What I would like to see (in the patch, dlc, whatever) is to have racial happiness, with the various factors leading to the overall racial satisfaction with you and your leadership.

Not like it matters now, seeing how the devs already thought of something even more awesome 🙂

Teehon

The idea is amazing!
    One thing though –
    The rewards should be game changing. Otherwise this new mechanic will not be all that meaningful. For example +2 ranged attack to dwarven crossbows. This is not a serious buff and you can’t use it strategically, considering that you only receive on the 20th turn. What could make a difference? Giving crossbows long range instead of middle, or give it crippling wounds, or even +5 ranged damage but +10 gold.
    The buff on firstborns does sound nice, but then… 5th level of command will take about 100 turns, if I understood the mechanics correctly. In this case, it will be way too late. By that time no one uses tier 3 AND not a single mp player will every see this in his game.

Telenil

Damn Oo

The release version of AoW3 felt more or less like a complete game, but the amount of additionnal content that was added since then is amazing. I resumed playing after a two months break, the game feels far more polished than it used to and this new feature looks amazing. I think that will be the sort of racial diversity we’ve been waiting for.

Ah, this is excellent news. Combine this with the other major update planned, not to mention the expansion, it’s going to be a near new game when it finally releases.

Seriously, give credit where credit is due when developers continue with all this support.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.