Dev Journal: New Race Upgrade System

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: New Race Upgrade System

This topic contains 129 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  Sartarius 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author

Zathrendar

I like this allot. But I hoped the choices was more than just some stats. I was also hoping that the good/evil alignment would affect the perks.

I was thinking more like this:

If you are good and reach the right Elf reputation:<br>
    You embrace the wood elf heritage and unlock the ranger unit, which is an elf unit equipped with longbow and is different from the regular archer since it is tier 2, irregular, have a bit more health, forest concealment, more movement points and do 2 more close combat and range damage and cost more.

If you are neutral and reach the same Elf reputation level:<br>
    You unlock the High Guard, tier 2, armored Infantry equipped with twin blades and bows. Think lord of the rings elf warriors. Stronger in attack than the regular swordsmen, with bow but without shield, mind control immune.

If you are evil and get same elf reputation level.<br>
    You embrace the dark elf heritage and can now train blade dancers, a strong, tier 2, fast melee unit that got killing momentum, do some lightening damage as well and can dodge incoming attacks much like halflings but not based on morale.

It would be much more fun to unlock 1 or 2 units for each race or like chose between elfs hidden city or letting the Storm sisters gain call chain lightening on gold, not just getting stats here and there. I find the choices of Civ Beyond Earth utterly boring. They are just stats and to small to affect the big picture and most important I don´t see or feel they affect the gameplay. I wan´t each AoW game to be feeling different depending on what road I choose.

I read the OP and was quite excited but upon reading your post, I think this is an even better idea, and preferable to what is being contemplated. I very much like playing “racial elitists” or single race missions, so investing more in focusing on a single race (or just a few) would be an awesome way to make it a compelling alternative to drawing from all races.

Zathrendar

Also, Gyor’s idea is pretty stellar as well. The only thing I would say is that I hope that an overall sense of balance between the races will be maintained with the addition of such features, even if it involves specific builds to maintain parity of a sort.

llfoso

I just posted this in another thread, but did anyone else notice the level 4 draconian empire upgrade has a monster’s face?

Racial t4s anyone?

Nyanko

I have a question about race command actually. Will the titles differ with each race or will it always be ‘Patron, Protector and so forth’?

Cause I think it would be interesting and feel unique to have different names for each promotion according to the race involved.

Gorgoh

I have a question about race command actually. Will the titles differ with each race or will it always be ‘Patron, Protector and so forth’?

Cause I think it would be interesting and feel unique to have different names for each promotion according to the race involved.

That’s pretty much what I recommended a few hours ago. Interested parties can have a look here:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/a-method-for-race-upgrades-reverence/

@gorgoh: I can’t say I disagree with your recommendations, and the general remarks others have made in this thread about the Racial Command / Governance level names. Assuming not much will change in the next release (too much work etc.) perhaps at least the NAMES of the levels can be changed.

Since were talking about GOVERNANCE -> use these level names / or honorary titles?

I. Friend / Baron
    II. Patron / Earl
    III. Paragon / Prince
    IV. Demigod / King
    V. Deity / Emperor

Or, since this can be seen as a level of REVERENCE indeed -> could thus be named as such?

I. Respected
    II. Honored
    III. Admired
    IV. Idolized
    V. Worshipped

Note the intended synergy between the two.

Sloul

Triumph team did an awesome job with everything they done so far, the upcoming patches and extansion features sound awesome.
    But by far, my favorites features to come are the races ones.
    2 new races
    New skills/passive/units for races (Warcry, Defensive Strike, Butcher etc.)
    And Racial Governance OMG GOBLIN GOLD, Ill flood the map into swamps and get billion of golds 😀
    Then ill bribe some dragon so he can safeguard my golds. And my big blue stone. Yay, I find a big blue stone. Is mine. Is precious.
    Goblins peaceful, leave alone. Or we feed you to butcher.

p.s: If Race Command and/or Race Governance are still place holder, I would make a suggestion for Race Affinity.

Sartarius

Can you please link a complete list of all racial gov upgrades again pelease?

Gloweye

Sartarius

Oh, you already updated it on wiki! Great, many thanks. Also, a marvelous wiki I can say, keep it up! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.