Dev Journal: The Frostling Army Core

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Dev Journal: The Frostling Army Core

This topic contains 133 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by  Seamus the Bold 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author

llfoso

Are we definitely 100% sure the mammoth rider is t2? I have a really hard time with that…it’s hard to believe it would be on the same level as other cavalry and weaker than knights and big beetles.

Jaduggar

Are we definitely 100% sure the mammoth rider is t2? I have a really hard time with that…it’s hard to believe it would be on the same level as other cavalry and weaker than knights and big beetles.

I agree. Elephants in other games, like the total war series, usually get some sort of “spook horses” ability, and I think it makes sense that they should be seen as greater than t2 cavalry. Also… wall crushing cavalry? Thats kinda OP if that is t2…

The devs are playing around a touch with the t1/t2 thing in the next patch, with new racial units breaking out of the mold a bit, so I dont think it is unreasonable to imagine that there could be some out of the ordinary tier placement here. The only thing which leads to doubt t3 mammoth riders is this: The t3 supports. If mammoth riders are also t3, then frostlings would be the first race yet far with more than one t3 unit… unless there is more that the devs have not said.

But… that would call for some pretty blatant speculation. I guess well just have to wait and see how theyll handle it. Yet another of the many reasons why it is so hard to wait for this expansion…

Gloweye

unless there is more that the devs have not said.

I’ve been having my fingers crossed for a second T3 across all races for quite a while now.

llfoso

My sentiments exactly. I mean, looking at the description (emphasis added):

The Mammoth Rider: Lords of the Battlefield, Mammoth Riders tower atop their huge beasts, surveying their surroundings and forcing breaches in the enemy’s defenses. The massive beasts can take a lot of punishment and deal severe damage. With their massive tusks the Mammoths can easily destroy walls, and their big bulk enables them to perform an especially powerful Devastating Charge. If you manage to keep them alive long enough they learn the rampaging Killing Momentum ability, giving them back 1 action point and allowing them to move 1 additional hex after killing an enemy.

Just really doesn’t fit the bill of T2. I know I shouldn’t speculate, but I really am hoping they are adding an extra t3 to each race. If the mammoth rider is on the same level as dudes on horses it will bother me to no end.

Gyor

There are ways to balance mammoth riders, such as heavy fire vulneriblity and maybe blight vulneriblity too.

llfoso

There are ways to balance mammoth riders, such as heavy fire vulneriblity and maybe blight vulneriblity too.

“It’s as powerful as a T3 but we gave it an elemental weakness so it’s basically a t2”
    I don’t think that would fly.

Jaduggar

“It’s as powerful as a T3 but we gave it an elemental weakness so it’s basically a t2″
    I don’t think that would fly.

I have never liked the “glass cannon” approach to balance. All it means is that: sometimes they are OP… sometimes they are face-raped and die instantly. That isnt balance, it is a situational unit which is broken in most situations.

Im not against more racial t3 units, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are actually going to be t2 afterall. I think they are just going to have more abilities than other t2, and be one of those “racial advantage” sort of things. Much the way that orcen infantry are just all around better than elven infantry, and this is viewed as merely being part of that races inherent advantage.

Still… I think they sound like they belong in t3, and thats how I would like to see it work out. We shall see, in time 😛

Draxynnic

Historically, elephants stopped being used in warfare for good reasons…

Being less mysterious about it, the mammoth unit does represent only a single unit, compared to (say) three unicorns to a unit for elven cavalry, and the elven unicorn riders still had a tier drop from their AoW2 equivalents. So… it’s plausible that the mammoth can be t2 and still feel like a mammoth. It’s just a single mammoth competing against units of more conventional cavalry.

Jaduggar

Being less mysterious about it, the mammoth unit does represent only a single unit, compared to (say) three unicorns to a unit for elven cavalry… It’s just a single mammoth competing against units of more conventional cavalry.

Actually I didnt realize that and, on the surface, it seems to make sense…

…except for one thing. That difference is really only:visual and conceptual. It still doesnt change the fact that what you may have is a t2 cavalry who can knock down walls, gets an upgraded charge attack, and can level up into killing momentum (just like t3 orcs). Thats alot for a t2 cavalry! D:

I honestly do think theyll probably wind up being t2, if Triumph isnt planning some kind of re-wiggling-about of the tier system, but… I think thats OP. Wall crushing alone should be enough to make them stand out, the rest is just unbalancing. And giving them some kind of inherent drawback is not the same as balancing them.

I heard that the Mammoth Rider is their militia unit…

vota dc

What about giving mammoth wall crushing, more hp (+10 than regular cavalry),+4 attack,+10 charge instead of +6 BUT give just one attack for turn? This way killing momentum would be really precious, also make a lot of sense since three horsemen attack faster than a single mammoth.

Jaduggar

…what if it had a chance of going berserk every time you used it, like the way that overloaded machines have a chance of stunning themselves?

Quiet you… we know youre in the beta 😛

You already know the answer to this XD

Gloweye

Y’know…..technically, this is Trolling…And trolls are dedicated to evil, so you are evil to?(But trolls don’t have wall crushing…)

What about giving mammoth wall crushing, more hp (+10 than regular cavalry),+4 attack,+10 charge instead of +6 BUT give just one attack for turn? This way killing momentum would be really precious, also make a lot of sense since three horsemen attack faster than a single mammoth.

sounds like an interesting idea! Would not mind if it is done that way.

…what if it had a chance of going berserk every time you used it, like the way that overloaded machines have a chance of stunning themselves?

that would be cool stuff as well. Being quite unpredictable but powerfull.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.