Different Warbreed for different races

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Different Warbreed for different races

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sarog 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Athei

I think everyone who has eyes will agree with me when I say this – we need warbreed’s that match their races. It is not enough to just make their skin color different (and I even think that elves, humans, and dwarves share the same color…), really it isn’t… And I don’t think it would be too hard to make them all different, for instance:

1) Human Warbreed – let’s leave this one as it is;
    2) Elven Warbreed – pointy ears, slender, maybe long blond hair under the helmet;
    3) Dwarven Warbreed – beard, or at least hairy chest and arms, shorter;
    4) Ork Warbreed – bigger mammoth-like tusks, taller, maybe braided black hair under the helm;
    5) Draconian Warbreed – reptile scales; horns; maybe some small unusable wings (don’t remember if it got a tail, if not than that too!)
    6) Goblin Warbreed – much smaller, pointy ears…

I will said it again, I don’t think it should be too difficult to do, but it will have a huge impact on the game, because this is the only unit that seems unfinished, and it’s constantly before our eyes, so it’s really hard to overlook…

Sarog

Half-ogres are supposed to be ugly. You can’t expect an elven half-ogre to be some slender he-man with flowing golden locks. I don’t see what’s “unfinished” about it. Being (intentionally) ugly doesn’t make it unfinished, and neither does following the one-size-fits-all kind of approach to class units across different races. At least warbreeds have a good lore excuse to be ugly, regardless of race. I’m not sure what to think of draconian bards.

Athei

Did I ever said they have to be pretty? No. I said they need to be different. And I do expect elf-ogre to be slender than ork-ogre.
    Draconian bards look different than human bards. Goblin succubus looks different than elven one, and so on… It isn’t too much to ask for a different looking warbreed, especially if it’s achievable with a little effort.

Kaiosama TLJ

Half-ogres are supposed to be ugly. You can’t expect an elven half-ogre to be some slender he-man with flowing golden locks. I don’t see what’s “unfinished” about it. Being (intentionally) ugly doesn’t make it unfinished, and neither does following the one-size-fits-all kind of approach to class units across different races. At least warbreeds have a good lore excuse to be ugly, regardless of race. I’m not sure what to think of draconian bards.

The problem with Warbreeds is not the fact that they are ugly, we get that they are muscular monstrosities and we are ok with that. The problem is that their appearance is literally copy-pasted among all the races with only a change of color like an old arcade beat ‘en up.

And this is odd since all the other class units still have racial features not only in stats.

This would be preferable in a perfect world (also where Dragons were real, and we could live as them in giant golden mountain fortresses full of fine art and gold and shinny gems).

To me at least, I’d rather have new units, or different abilities on old units, rather than a purely cosmetic change.

Leon Feargus

I agree with this.
    It was one of those things that struck me when I was playtesting.
    The Warbreeds all look the same, apart from the skintone, where other racial units have different appearances. I hope they could be altered a little in the future. Don’t make the mistake of thinking those alterations would be an easy deal, the way you suggest would make for quite an investment from a dev perspective. I think just changing sizes will do heaps to improve the overall looks.
    So I suggest this
    Orc: Humongous
    Draconian: Huge
    Human: Very large
    Elf: Large, slender
    Dwarf: Normal, squat
    Goblin: Normal

Ok, now that I think about it … Dwarven Warbreed with beard would be much cooler.

Athei

Don’t make the mistake of thinking those alterations would be an easy deal, the way you suggest would make for quite an investment from a dev perspective.

I don’t think it would be so hard to make them. After all most of them don’t require new animation or are already in the game (teeth, horns, ears, beard, reptile scales texture), and if they implement only this (forget about wings and stuff like taht) the Warbreed would already look a lot better than before. Ofc, with difference in size also.

Knight9910

We actually suggested this in the beta and we were told there wasn’t time. We MIGHT see this in a patch, though.

True that.

Lots of suggestions for the Warbreed as well, to make them more…interesting as a unit.

Sarog

The problem with Warbreeds is not the fact that they are ugly, we get that they are muscular monstrosities and we are ok with that. The problem is that their appearance is literally copy-pasted among all the races with only a change of color like an old arcade beat ‘en up.

Every class unit follows this one-size-fits all approach; they all reuse art assets, which is why you see a draconian bard with a red wig. The difference with Warbreeds is that their frame is obviously based on the ogre. They seem to be pretty clearly a reskin, so they are pretty homogenous. They kind of have to be. Sure it would be nice if triumph would add little cosmetic touches to the variants, like beards for the dwarves, but if one goes further than that and suggests that elven warbreeds should be slender, goblin warbreeds should be short, etc. that seems like it is asking for new individualized models with new skeletons. That seems to me to be neither necessary nor financially viable for effort expended on one class unit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.