DLC Cosmetic Leader pack?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions DLC Cosmetic Leader pack?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Kaiosama TLJ 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

vfxrob

How many people would be interested in getting some new outfits/tattoos/helemets hats for leaders?

And would you pay for a set pack released?

Thought it would be a good idea whilst we wait for the next big dlc, love to see some paladin outfits for the theocrat, and maybe a cool ranger outfit for the druid with selection of helmets and tattoos.

Cadfan

I would buy this.

Not much to say beyond that. I would buy a DLC pack that allowed for greater cosmetic customization of leaders.

Backero

Me too, but i think it could be a part of any expansion.

Hunter

I would likely buy any DLC whatsoever.

Alberto

That would be great, especially cloths and armors

vota dc

They promised very powerful tools so I think they will do DLC about thing impossible or at least very difficult to obtain with those: cosmetic changes are among the first things that come out usually in history of game modding.

Socratatus

Signed. Need more stuff.

Garresh

They should make it so every time you win a game you have chance to get a Hat-Chest and then they can sell you keys. /s

But in all seriousness, I am a bit of a sucker for cosmetics. I may or may not have blown a steam gift card I got for Christmas last year on $50 of cosmetics on Dota. To be fair though, its better to lose in style than to win without fashion. 😉

smeagolheart

If we had the mod tools the community could make all the cosmetic leaders you want themselves.

Zaskow

I suggested something like this but didn’t get much support.

terrahero

Its one of those things that could be worked on when the art team has nothing to do, while the rest of the team is still working on finishing the dlc.

But i always felt a bit iffy about it, sure its optional. But if you are releasing a big dlc update around the same time i couldnt help but shake the feeling of content-cutting to sell seperately.
    Im not going to pretend i know how Triumph thinks. But i just have this feeling these practises are more fitting for large, publisher, driven teams that really need to monetize every thing they make to the max.

With Triumph i just think its more likely that such extra artwork gets included in the next real DLC, rather then a seperate “micro”-transaction. I use the term micro loosely, as paying 10euro’s for a single skin is not at all uncommon, and i find nothing micro about 10euro’s.

I could maybe see them do this after the big DLCs die down, and their art department has nothing to do on other projects. But thats just a maybe.
    Again, thats just a gut feeling from seeing how Triumph has run their ship so far, less inclined to nickle and dime and more inclined to focus their work on meaningful content they are simply more passionate about.

Socratatus

Does it always have to be a DLC or paid for? Just add it as part of a Patch as goodwill from devs to customer. After all it’s only clothing stuff.

Chimaira

It still needs work even if its only a clothing. And no I wouldn’t buy it – this kind of DLCs are for me an emodiment of all that is wrong with games these days. AoW 3 is strategy game not some dressing-up sims wawnnabe. I much prefer current enhancments to the game delivered by the devs – namely improving / adding new mechanics, units, races etc.

Epaminondas

I’d buy any DLC Triumph makes – in fact, I bought 2 copies for two different computers.

alexej

Any DLC for this game will find way to my computer and to my girlfriends aswell because she plays this amazing game with me and she`s best coop player ever 😀

Gloweye

Epaminondas
    I’d buy any DLC Triumph makes – in fact, I bought 2 copies for two different computers.

I’m not yet drowning in cash, gotta finish my study first for that. If I had the Cash, I might buy a better comp to run the games on…

Ravenholme

This, basically. Though I usually buy copies for my friends (as and when I can afford to)

I was always rather disappointed by the fact that there’s no good helmet options for the Warlords. Full on great helms, or a greek-style helm like the Archons. Shaman masks/headresses for the archdruid.

More customization is always better as far as I’m concerned.

esvath

+1 on cosmetic pack.

Here is the list of cosmetics that I hope will be included in the pack:
    1) Leader outfits: one or two additional outfits/costumes per class.
    2) Hairstyles and beards!
    3) Hats, crowns, circlets, jewelries… We can’t get enough of this!
    4) More primary colors.
    5) More background scenery. Loads of these please!

Yes definitely! We need more stuff!

Garresh

It still needs work even if its only a clothing. And no I wouldn’t buy it – this kind of DLCs are for me an emodiment of all that is wrong with games these days. AoW 3 is strategy game not some dressing-up sims wawnnabe. I much prefer current enhancments to the game delivered by the devs – namely improving / adding new mechanics, units, races etc.

Really? I consider cosmetics to be the one way that Free to Play games gain any form of legitimacy. I long since stopped playing freemium games out of rage. All f2p games are freemium. Some just hide it better. Like League of legends. To get enough runes to play each role takes hundreds of hours. You can play for 1000 hours and never get as many runes as youd like. Sure a single set is only like 20 hours, but what if you play an atypical hero like old Tryndamere? And if you use those points to unlock heroes, youre never going to be optimal. Ever. Its a very well concealed “soft” pay to win system, but a pay to win system nonetheless.

Now compare that to dota. It has a worse community, longer games, and a lot of weird schemes going on with their cosmetics. But no matter what, the game is truly balanced. There is no pay to win. And for this reason I gladly buy cosmetics to support this model. Path of Exile is a very hardcore game with a similar system. Frankly, if cosmetics dlcs exclusively were more common, f2p games would be a lot higher caliber.

Usana

I would most likely buy a DLC for cosmetics as long as the price wasn’t too high. I am not one who will invest 50 bucks in cosmetics alone. Not unless it is something tricky. For example if we got a full character customization pack ala the Sims or some such where we could easily control basic height(within a range), weight, muscle tone, face shape, etc. Yeah I could see such a pack going for a fair bit more than the usual 5 dollar cosmetic pack. I likely wouldn’t pay 50 alone for it. But if there were other clothing options etc as separate releases I may end up paying out that much at the end.

That said I really doubt such a system would come this way. I would still like to have a ‘body shape’ option that would say have overweight, average, fit or something. That way I could make overweight elves and muscular halflings if I felt like it. The problem of course is making every thing else scale reasonably well with the different builds.

Edit- Forgot to mention that when it comes to major cosmetic packs I would rather wait until they are mostly done with major add-on DLC. Of course I would rather see gameplay additions to major cosmetic packs. But once major dlc has run its course, major cosmetic additions would help the game feel fresh to me even after it is no longer getting major updates. I.E. I don’t particularly expect nor want to see major cosmetic DLC anytime soon :D.

Charlatan

Really now, cosmetic updates should be included in the regular DLCs, which does not only go for Leader Customizations but also for more Terrain features.

Not (yet) complaining but the Golden Realms was relatively small. I kinda wondered whether it would already include the Necromancer aswell.

I don’t care about the price, it’s about Triumph Studios being a rather sympathetic and responsive company compared to other developers. But someone here has bought tickets for the Abusive DLC Train – and I hope Triumph Studios will decide to throw those tickets away and not board it.

Chimaira

Really? I consider cosmetics to be the one way that Free to Play games gain any form of legitimacy. I long since stopped playing freemium games out of rage. All f2p games are freemium. Some just hide it better. Like League of legends. To get enough runes to play each role takes hundreds of hours. You can play for 1000 hours and never get as many runes as youd like. Sure a single set is only like 20 hours, but what if you play an atypical hero like old Tryndamere? And if you use those points to unlock heroes, youre never going to be optimal. Ever. Its a very well concealed “soft” pay to win system, but a pay to win system nonetheless.

Now compare that to dota. It has a worse community, longer games, and a lot of weird schemes going on with their cosmetics. But no matter what, the game is truly balanced. There is no pay to win. And for this reason I gladly buy cosmetics to support this model. Path of Exile is a very hardcore game with a similar system. Frankly, if cosmetics dlcs exclusively were more common, f2p games would be a lot higher caliber.

Really. Though I am not sure why are you bringing up the Dota or LoL examples as here we are not talking about DLC for a f2p game. Maybe I am a minority here but throwing a few outfits in a pack and selling it as a DLC is something I highly despise in general. It also strikes me as a lazy thing to do. Don’t have an idea for some interesting additions to the game? Make a bunch of visual stuff (so for example a a player can wear a clown hat istead of helmet) and charge money for it. I am all for supporting Triumph because they deserve it, but there are more pressing matters to solve than providing a wider range of skirts for archmage because some people think there are not enough of them. Also though of course its more work and time consuming there are a lot more interesting additions that could be introduced to the game . I’d rather see and pay for new race / class than for a new clothes / haircuts / decorations etc. for the leaders.

chammalia

Yes, definitely! 🙂
    It is much too limited as it us right now, imo.

Socratatus

A rather aggressive tone. Two can play that game, so here I go.

Every good seller sometimes gives away the little things as a goodwill to the customer. You’ve never had freebies from a store? Or discounts? There’s a reason: It creates goodwill between customer and seller and increases loyalty.

Second, in a game of this type, in which one spends many hours, being able to customise your avatar as closely to how you want it often adds further to imersion and therfore, the enjoyment of a game. You comparison to the sims completely misses the point.

Further enhancements to the game such as AI have been only recently added and I’m sure more will come.

You may not like it, but you are also wrong in your sweepingly abbrasive assumptions.

Chimaira

Firstly if you felt offended by my post then I apologize.

Only the first sentence was a direct response to your post. I have nothing against the goodwill of the devs, I was merely pointing out that even “just clothes” need quite some work. You need to make drawings and sketches, renderings etc. It is nicely shown in the dev blog posts about necromancer. Also it should be taken into account that Triumph are relatively small team so I guess they can’t focus their attention on too many thing at once. And customizing leaders, while it is a nice addition that gives a bit of immersion is not really that important. In AoW1 all heroes and leaders were just generic robed figures on steed with a few deviations (beards for dwarves, frog steeds for lizardman) and despite that the game was extremely immersive.

The rest of my post referred to the topic outlined by OP – namely a DLC with new outfits for leaders, most probably a paid one. This I am strongly against for the reasons I have already stated.

Socratatus

Firstly if you felt offended by my post then I apologize.

No need to apologise, but see my end point.

Only the first sentence was a direct response to your post. I have nothing against the goodwill of the devs, I was merely pointing out that even “just clothes” need quite some work. You need to make drawings and sketches, renderings etc. It is nicely shown in the dev blog posts about necromancer. Also it should be taken into account that Triumph are relatively small team so I guess they can’t focus their attention on too many thing at once. And customizing leaders, while it is a nice addition that gives a bit of immersion is not really that important.

This is merely stating the very obvious fact of business and working. It still does not mean that they cannot afford to do a goodwill freebie if they want. many business` do regardless of how much it costs them to make. The logic is that they’ll make up the difference in future loyaly from customers. Small or large business it is the same and only measured by how big the freebie might be.

In AoW1 all heroes and leaders were just generic robed figures on steed with a few deviations (beards for dwarves, frog steeds for lizardman) and despite that the game was extremely immersive.

So? That means we must stay back in the old days with no attempts to improve all aspects of future games. That’s a little blinkered don’t you think?

The rest of my post referred to the topic outlined by OP – namely a DLC with new outfits for leaders, most probably a paid one. This I am strongly against for the reasons I have already stated.

I don’t like paid DLCs either. I prefer expansions.
    One thing:
    You need to remember that not all of us are children and some of us actually work and understand how business` work too, yet have different opinions to you, so no need to talk down to people as if you think they are all children.

Cadfan

A DLC that only provides cosmetics is fine because people who don’t like it don’t have to buy it to fully experience the gameplay.

The only thing that’s unethical is making a small gameplay based DLC, padding it with a bunch of cosmetics, and then charging as if it were a large DLC or an expansion. See Tropico.

Cosmetics-only DLCs that charge five bucks for two hats and a color swap are disappointing for me because that’s not sufficient value for my dollar to justify paying for it, but there’s nothing wrong with it per se.

I love Borderlands 2. It has literally dozens of cosmetics-only DLCs. I own none of them. I manage not to begrudge those who do.

Chimaira

@: Socratatus

I thought there was some misunderstanding between us so I wanted to clear that out. Also it’s a public forum so anyone even children can read it thus I want to express my thoughts clearly and make them understandable to as many potential readers as possible. It could also be caused by the fact that english is not my native language, so I feel I need to write more to ensure that I get my point across 🙂 It doesn’t mean that I consider myself the only adult here or that I am treating you (or any other person in that regard) as a clueless child. I can’t explain myself any better – If you still think that by stating the obvious I offended your intelligence then I guess cant’t do anything about it.

As for the AoW1 comment it should be read in the context of the previous sentence. I am not saying that we should stay in the old days but rather that there are more important things to create a rich and immerive experience (which were captured by previous AoW titles despite lack of customization of leaders apperance) than just graphics. Thus I would prefer that Triumph would focus on other additions to the game which make the gameplay more interesting than a few new visuals.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.