Do you exploit the Independent races Quests?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Do you exploit the Independent races Quests?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  CHIEF DRUID 7 years ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

CHIEF DRUID

Do any of you exploit the independent races quests for items and units?

I found this one frost giant race that gives me a quest to kill dragons all the time and then gives me a tier IV unit and some special item.

I also found that if you move just outside of one turn away like 10 hexes or maybe even 7 it will keep giving you quests within a few turns. I’ve practically gotten a stack of Front Giants tier IV’s in very few turns. 🙂 These are the boulder launching giants and a couple of the melee types too. He gives me some ogres sometimes too. Maybe during tribute?

I guess I shouldn’t do this but it’s fun and a quick way to build up a new stack. 😉 Off to stomp the sorcerer we go.

No I don’t abuse the AI to have unfair advantages over an enemy or independence. Cheating on the computer is cheating on yourself. and how can you trust others if you cant even trust yourself.

if you like it you are free to abuse the whole game, but to answer your question, no I wont use such an cheap trick

Arlow

i like to have a stack from tributes/quest capable of defending before talking with them about becoming part of my empire

Althea

I also found that if you move just outside of one turn away like 10 hexes or maybe even 7 it will keep giving you quests within a few turns. I’ve practically gotten a stack of Front Giants tier IV’s in very few turns. These are the boulder launching giants and a couple of the melee types too. He gives me some ogres sometimes too. Maybe during tribute?

That has been around since golden realms or probably since vanilla version. If you found dwellings/independents that is not at war with you, and you never get close to them, somehow after 20 or even 30 turns they don’t give you any quest at all, zero quest. Not always happen, but it’s quite often in my case.

At that time i wonder why, i though it’s probably just the RNG. But one day, 30 turns after i met a dwelling and it still no quest from that dwelling, i accidentally stumble upon them, they suddenly give a quest that turn.

I thought that’s a bug, but again and again it always happen to me.

So i decide to experiment and i tried replicating it, and it happens again.

I don’t know what trigger the quest, but that is what i’m trying to figure with my experiment, my conclusion is i think at least one of your unit vision range should at least intersect one hex in their domain, at least that’s the only explanation i can come up at that time. That combined with the RNG of course.

I’m glad that at last some one else confirm this, i already noticed this long time ago, but i wasn’t perfectly sure until i heard confirmation from the dev, plus RNG also play a part, so it’s hard to replicate it.

At least from reading your case, it seems my conclusion is probably partially right.

I admit i did abuse that a few times, long ago, but since then i refuse to do it. Personally it’s not fun for me especially if it’s giant or archon dwelling, they tend to give T4 more than the other dwelling. But fun is relative, if it’s fun to you then go ahead.

NINJEW

Abusing AI quicks doesn’t make for exciting gameplay, but if it’s single player whatever floats your boat I guess

CSav10

If I got really crap loot from a ziggurat, I used to make a new save game just before and reload it to get different loot, Im pretty sure now all the loot is fixed when the game starts, so the option is no longer available. Sometimes spells change however.

Epaminondas

No I don’t abuse the AI to have unfair advantages over an enemy or independence. Cheating on the computer is cheating on yourself. and how can you trust others if you cant even trust yourself.

if you like it you are free to abuse the whole game, but to answer your question, no I wont use such an cheap trick

Judgmental, are we?

It’s just a game – and I can’t believe I typed that!

excuse me? I said he can play however he want to. but be honest, cheating against an AI is cheating against yourself. how can you grow over an hard situation if you abuse AI flaws and game bugs to win?

CSav10

At the end of the day just do what makes you happy. I have friends that consider reloading at all cheating, so there are clearly a lot of different views :). Most people I know however reload if a battle goes badly ;).

Like I said, Lord CSav10, play however you want to, but if you go to the form and start bragging that you exploit the game mechanics you should expect people to comment on it.

Especially if you ask it as an question, and maybe I say it an bit harsh, but still I explain him why you shouldn’t abuse game AI’s. And that is also something you should remember while abusing any cheat, bug or other exploit in an game.

just like I said multiply times before, the only way to grow stronger is to accept your weaknesses. and with that build up your fortitude and eliminate said weakness.

NINJEW

It’s a video game he doesn’t need to use it to grow as a person

It’s true that he won’t get better at the game by abusing AI quirks but I think that’s fairly obvious. If he’s abusing AI quirks to win, he’s probably not interested in being challenged.

Trying to turn this into a video game self improvement philosophy discussion is kind of weird man

and I am talking about the game, you can grow in the gameplay, you can become more resistant an easier adaptable to situation you encounter.

if you want to grow as an person you should take some heavier methods then just not abusing an game. a game could be an starting point but is nothing more then that.

zeelilus

Maybe It’s just me, but how is this really abusing the system? The quests keep giving you relation points, correct? What’s being abused here?

NINJEW

Getting quests constantly isn’t the way the system is supposed to work, and the free shit that completing quests gives you is very valuable. It’s very much an abuse of the system.

I also found that if you move just outside of one turn away like 10 hexes or maybe even 7 it will keep giving you quests within a few turns. I’ve practically gotten a stack of Front Giants tier IV’s in very few turns. :) These are the boulder launching giants and a couple of the melee types too. He gives me some ogres sometimes too. Maybe during tribute?

Basically the core of it right here

On the other hand quests are the only way to generate new magic items that are not limited by the forge options, so having a location that offers these quests at hand is quite valuable.

Personally I do tend to leave Fey/Archon dwellings vassaled when playing the opposed alignment without the specialization. Regular quests to train fresh heroes and steal the odd giant are quite useful.

CHIEF DRUID

I wish the devs would chime in on this and say whether it’s meant to be or that hanging around near a vassal for quests is an exploit. I mean they don’t come every turn just because I finished one. There is some time laspe even when I do go 7-10 hexes away.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.