Draconian Raptors

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Draconian Raptors

This topic contains 57 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  ExNihil 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

ExNihil

they’re actually pretty decent. they have high res and are fairly tanky for a halfling unit, which is pretty important if you find yourself playing halfling.

Ok, I’ll try them in my next WL build and see how they pen out.

Anublet90

Human Cavalry have evolve. The crappy ones are Halfling and Dwarf, both of which are pretty barebone (Halfling gets strong will at gold so thats something). Raptors are Okish and have dual channel damage but are not special really and die badly on auto. Orc, HE, Frostling and Tigran are more interesting. So, there is nothing wrong with this unit, except that it offers a rather poor choice for classes that focus on cavalry strategies often. Other players don’t really have a reason to build it in large numbers if at all, and can focus on charger instead. The result is the Draconians have a good t1 pike unit and an excellent t3 infantry unit, alongside a powerful support unit. I would just like to see something more interesting here, perhaps opening up some sort of unit synergy.

Pretty much this.

Since you mentioned it, the Draconian T3 also has an unfortunate overlap with Killing Momentum from the Dungeon Mystical, though that’s a very minor gripe since the unit has significant class-synergies.

SiaFu

Raptors are more of an offensive universal DPS cavalry unit as their inflicts gained through medals would suggest, especially with Dragon Ancestry. Not every unit needs to be a tank.
    As others have mentioned, not having Armored is almost a bonus as they have just 1 DEF less than most armored cavalry but are immune to Armor Piercing.

NINJEW

armored is just a tag that signifies if a unit is applicable for dreadnought buffs, MSC buffs, or being hit by armor piercing. the defense of that unit will be determined largely by factors outside of whether it has the armored trait or not, though in general armored units have +1 defense over unarmored but otherwise comparable units.

i wish they’d take the +defense bit off the tooltip, it’s never relevant and mostly just confuses people as to how the armored tag works.

BB Shockwave

That fits well, but both are Tigran racial traits and I think there is little chance they’ll be implemented on Draconian units.

Already some animal units like dire bears are using this trait.

Also human cavalry only evolve when you have Champion Racial Governance, no? EDIT: checked, huh they have that by default? When did that happen?

@ BB, a long time ago!

Pre Eternal Lords.

SeeR

If Drac Raptors had Cave Crawling & Night Vision might be a nice perk making them fast moving underground scouts.

Just a thought

vota dc

Perhaps Raptors could become armored? This would make them more attractive to DN and also justify a +1 increase in their def.

Alternatively if charges are upgraded to t2, increased price, production at war hall, but with +4 MP, t2 level scaling, an extra ability and increased base stats this race will be more attractive, and Raptots, by and by, will have increased survivability when paired with Chargers.

Would be funny to have less races that are or totally unarmored or with nearly all units armored, right now the only exception are Halflings. Anyway raptors gain two special skills, if they both trigger the enemy has -5 strenght so that can help for being squishy…after all warg riders have nothing except superior numbers before gold medal that help with first strike.

BB Shockwave

@ BB, a long time ago!

Pre Eternal Lords.

I haven’t played the game then. Sadly my computer was terribly slow and not adequate for the game, and as much as I loved playing, I had to keep adjusting the graphics lower and lower for it to work (and even so it froze 50% the time I saved a game). So I put AoW3 on the shelves until I could get a new PC, which was just a month ago.

llfoso

I think they’re fine now, they could do with another point of damage.
    Split channel units are really strong versus units with 8-9 res, but once you start fighting the 11+ res units it’s better to have a single channel. Or more lopsided – 10/2 would be better than 6/6.
    IMO scorching heat at bronze and inflict immolation at gold are pretty tasty though.

But I agree that the other drac units are more the problem. They’ve fallen behind in the power creep of each patch. I agree with chargers getting bumped to T2. Crushers could use some more HP (they’re supposed to be tough aren’t they?) and flyers really need something, both for power and flavor.

Fenraellis

I believe the real trick, such that there is one, was the fact that most units what went from single Physical channel to Hybrid, gained 1-2 total listed damage(adding the channels together). Raptors just went from 12 Physical to 6/6 Physical/Fire.

ExNihil

But I agree that the other drac units are more the problem. They’ve fallen behind in the power creep of each patch. I agree with chargers getting bumped to T2. Crushers could use some more HP (they’re supposed to be tough aren’t they?) and flyers really need something, both for power and flavor.

Can you post in the racial balance thread in the balance discussion sub-forum?

Draxynnic

I believe the real trick, such that there is one, was the fact that most units what went from single Physical channel to Hybrid, gained 1-2 total listed damage(adding the channels together). Raptors just went from 12 Physical to 6/6 Physical/Fire.

It also makes for an interesting comparison that the Drac Mounted Archer went from 10 physical in melee to 6/6 as well. If it weren’t for medal bonuses, there’d be basically no reason to take raptors over draconian MAs at all if you’re a warlord…

llfoso

Can you post in the racial balance thread in the balance discussion sub-forum?

This is a balance thread, so I don’t think it’s off topic (the point being that raptors aren’t the draconians’ problem). It’s in the wrong sub-forum though.

Zaskow

If it weren’t for medal bonuses, there’d be basically no reason to take raptors over draconian MAs at all if you’re a warlord…

You’re wrong, because you forgot about charge…

Charge command for the leader stack (where you want your better horse archers anyway).

BB Shockwave

Charge command for the leader stack (where you want your better horse archers anyway).

You can’t have a hero in every stack, especially not on Large/XL maps.
    What’s “MAs” btw?

Draxynnic

Mounted Archers.

Charge is a consideration, but having a ranged attack and Sprint gives you far more versatility. Plus, if you have a warlord hero to attach them to, you can get Charge as previously mentioned.

Gloweye

What’s “MAs” btw?

Mounted Archers I think. Other context might be Martial Arts.

BB Shockwave

See? It’s confusing. better type the whole thing. 🙂 Trust me, I work with abbreviations all day at work in medical research, and when dealing with other companies we often find they have the same abbreviations – for totally different documents. it’s confusing. 😀 For me, for example, “OP” always stands for Optimus Prime, not Original Poster. 😀

Back on topic, that all assumes you are a Warlord – playing a draconian dreadnougt I found Raptors very useful muscle even after I got Golems, and Side Arms makes them even better. One thing I am still wondering about in the game, though, is HP for cavalry. IMHO it should be higher – regardless of Tier, I think they should have a bit more HP. Especially after medals, soon enough there is little difference in HP between a Pikeman and a Cavalry of the same race. (except for the Mammoth riders, of course)

Leon Feargus

“OP” always stands for Optimus Prime, not Original Poster.

Optimus Prime is OP!
    Nerf Optimus Prime please.

edit:
    oh, and Raptors are totally fine I think …
    whereas Raptor Archers could do with a little less melee damage.

NINJEW

See? It’s confusing. better type the whole thing. :) Trust me, I work with abbreviations all day at work in medical research, and when dealing with other companies we often find they have the same abbreviations – for totally different documents. it’s confusing. 😀 For me, for example, “OP” always stands for Optimus Prime, not Original Poster. 😀

eh. context usually makes it easy to tell. MA is kind of a weird case since it refers to two warlord things (mounted archers and martial arts) but there’s not a lot of warlord related things that can be abbreviated into MH, for example

Wallthing

The OP said OP is OP?

There’s a special hell for people who sin by abbreviating excessively. They’re forced to copy the dictionaries of agglutinative languages (IE German) – in print – until their fingers fall off.

NEHZ

better type the whole thing.

HP for cavalry. IMHO

In this case, the words Mounted Archer were already used in the same post as the short MA, which makes it somewhat correct. Your HP and IMHO on the other hand…
    Considering the public that tends to trend these forums, I doubt you’ll find anyone who doesn’t know what HP means. In my honest opinion however, IMHO is a bit more obscure.

On topic: I never build raptors. But I never build any of the t2 cavalry anyway, since I don’t want to build the required military building unless I’m going for t3.

BB Shockwave

DUDE.
    Everyone who ever played a strategic game knows that HP stands for Hit Points, as well as anyone who postes on message boards will know what IMHO, AFAIK, LOL, etc. means.
    But even if I played AoW since the beginning, I won’t know that you mean Mounted Archer when you say MA. What, you shorten Flame Tank to FT? Tigran Sun Chariot to TSC? Where is my eye-rolling smiley for this? :/

NEHZ

I did not mean to offend, I just thought it was funny that you used abbreviations in a post where you ask people not to use abbreviations.

BB Shockwave

“OP” always stands for Optimus Prime, not Original Poster.

Optimus Prime is OP!
    Nerf Optimus Prime please.

That can be done, Hasbro owns NERF too. 😀 Megatron keeps asking for that every day, anyway. 😀

ExNihil

ROFL

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.