DRM Free Huh?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions DRM Free Huh?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tombles 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Voqar

I remember before release there was this big thread of Steam vs GOG with a big point in it being about how GOG would be DRM free. Why people care about DRM is beyond me when it has no impact on you unless it’s securom type invasive/destructive or you want to hand out copies of games to your buddies.

So tell me, Steam haters, how is it that the game is DRM free when it has a launcher that fires every time you play and that requires you to login to triumph’s account system and/or to register the game? Is that not DRM?

If the game had been sold thru Steam only (and/or other outlets that protect intellectual property) they wouldn’t have needed their own custom DRM scheme, or registrations, or logins, or launcher, we wouldn’t have had to do account linking, people wouldn’t be having problems getting the game running, Triumph wouldn’t be wasting time on customer service sorting out people having issues with the launcher. There wouldn’t need to be a launcher or wasted dev time on all that nonsense.

So what has really been gained here by having a DRM free copy that’s – um – not really DRM free? There’s no DRM in place by GOG…but there surely is DRM on the game itself – something that has to exist because outlets like GOG doesn’t protect games.

To me, as someone who buys a lot of games from a variety of sources, this is just another game like a ubisoft/uplay game with an annoying extra login that shouldn’t be necessary when buying thru Steam (extra logins and nonsense beyond steam often annoy steam users). Granted, this launcher is nowhere near as obnoxious and annoying as the UPlay manace) Instead of just firing up the game and being in the game, it’s a two step process of firing the launcher then firing the game. Minimal hassle – but it’s not something one usually has to deal with.

I buy games from gog too. Yet, there’s no real difference to me because running Steam-based games is absolutely seamless (granted, I leave steam running all the time since I play games all the time and on a decent gaming rig the amount of resources steam uses is beyond trivial). A truly “DRM free” game from gog doesn’t run any differently.

Just sayin’ … for all the ranting and raving about DRM free…the game isn’t really DRM free…and it’s messier than how the vast majority of steam games run with steam’s almost transparent and negligible DRM.

PS – the reason for this thread is the vehemence and passion of the steam haters in that steam vs gog thread and how, in the end, they got even more obnoxious DRM than steam uses.

terrahero

I was under the impression you can play offline just fine without having to make or log into an account. I thought this is only required for online play.

Unknown250

I was under the impression you can play offline just fine without having to make or log into an account. I thought this is only required for online play.

Yup. And unlike Starcraft 2, I believe that offline play is unlimited. I haven’t tested but you may even be able to do LAN without logging in.

terrahero

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>terrahero wrote:</div>

Yup. And unlike Starcraft 2, I believe that offline play is unlimited. I haven’t tested but you may even be able to do LAN without logging in.

All forms of multiplayer, with other human players, requires online authentication. Including LAN, after the game has been set up its peer-to-peer and LAN works like LAN, so should your internet go out the game will run just fine.

But you need that initial connection to play.

Steam is annoying because I constantly have to launch games through it, even when it’s in offline mode. My GOG version, however, can be launched any time without hassle, and I can just play offline as a guest by making one click at the main menu. So it’s really not even DRM, because it doesn’t require me to ever go online and register with the site unless, of course, I want to play multiplayer. Also, I sincerely doubt that the existence of the GOG version is the only reason for requiring a registration with Triumph.

In short, the score is still GOG>Steam.

What I noticed from logging in and signing in as a guest is that you could only load your games that you have played logged in or offline. I just left it logged in and played the campaign but when I tried signing in as guest, I have to restart the campaign since there is no save file.

I am using the GOG version by the way.

LeBurns

Umm … I have STEAM and it’s asking me to log in and register the game with T every time I try to play. I just end up having to play Off-line since it gives all these warnings about how after you register with T you have to play through them afterwards or something like that.

Honestly I just wish someone would clear up how to set up the game on STEAM.

And how do I register my game if I don’t have a code for it? It’s asking for a code? Seriously this is the first game were STEAM is giving me a headache.

Tombles
    Keymaster

What I noticed from logging in and signing in as a guest is that you could only load your games that you have played logged in or offline. I just left it logged in and played the campaign but when I tried signing in as guest, I have to restart the campaign since there is no save file.

I am using the GOG version by the way.

You can just copy the save games from the online profile to the guest one. See here for a guide, in section 2:

http://ageofwonders.com/knowledgebase/

And how do I register my game if I don’t have a code for it? It’s asking for a code? Seriously this is the first game were STEAM is giving me a headache.

You don’t need a code, as far as I know. You make a triumph account, activate it by clicking the link in the email, then click “Register Key / DLC / Account Settings” in the launcher. It should ask you if you want to link your Steam Account to your Triumph Account, click “Yes” and that’s it.

Shiara384

Tombles, May I suggest posting a sticky that ..everyone is forced to read or something?

I don’t know,

Tombles
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ll make a super-sticky about it. It seems to be confusing a lot of people.

Also, I’m going to close this thread, I understand you are frustrated Voqar, and I don’t mind you saying so, I just don’t want this thread to deteriorate into a big STEAM VS GOG flame war.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DRM Free Huh?’ is closed to new replies.