End of SuMMeR PBEM Tournament ( 24 player maximum ) – BEER League

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions End of SuMMeR PBEM Tournament ( 24 player maximum ) – BEER League

This topic contains 335 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  SeeR 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 336 total)
  • Author

SeeR

Alright , so even tho i didn’t magically win the summer AoW 3 Tournament….. I am challenging any and all of the other entrants on a first come first serve basis and anybody who missed it as well… to a 24 player PBEM Tournament.

I have a couple other friends willing to assist in hosting the first round

which will be 4 x 6 player FFA’s on Med Maps with UG

Followed by an 4 Player XL map for all the winners

and a 4 player XL Mapp ( Surface Only ) for all the runners up in first round (Last to Die by winners hand).

its PBEM so who knows how long this thing might actually take…. and of course the rules must be established…

Rule #1 …. must have at least one nice beverage such as ( Beer , Wine , Whiskey Vodka , Tequila etc. ) while performing your PBEM turn. (unless abstenance required by religion or medical condition )

Rule #2 Since its PBEM and nobody is goin to get splitstacked , by all means toss around a few innocent taunts at your opponent while consuming above mentioned beverage.

Rule #3 If you miss your turn you are unfortunately SOL … no excuses.

Rule #4 If you drop out of the PBEM your Asshole Leader will be set to AI Knight for
    Other players to Use and Abuse as they Please and Shame on u for Quitting it
    was a nice casual routine drinking schedule u were on…… so u found a nice
    girlfriend with a boat or something and no satelite Wi-Fi… or whatever kept
    you away from this AWESOME Game …?

Rule #5 ——-> Have a beer and think about what you might be about to post on this
    thread , any input thoughts or additional rules you might suggest..
    are welcome comments. and this drinking theme is j/k ..somewhat 😉

Initial Nominated Hosts for first round PBEM are …….> see next post by $eeR

Hiliadan

I’m in!

By the way, it would be nice to register the matches on the ladder described here: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/pbem-players-searched/ That would provide extra competition among players and help develop the PBEM “competitive community”.

SeeR

Sure , a ladder ranking system is awesome …. seen one or two kicking around for AoW3 so far , should be an official one.

I threw up a couple test games with the basic settings i was thinking of unpassworded

anybody feel free to hop into one of those for training purposes..

Jolly Joker

I would like to play as well.

SeeR

I would like to play as well.

Nice Welcome aboard so far 3 of 24 spots taken

i ask the following player to join if they have time as well

1. Stormwind
    2. Lighform
    3. ExNihil
    4. Norf
    5. Santil
    6. BBB.
    7. Cdurgin
    8. Khelevaster
    9. Masterboja
    10. Lck
    11. Sayl
    12. Sjow
    13. NorF
    14. Prodigal Sun
    15. Revelation_777
    16. Cbower
    etc.

would love to have a nice representation of the players i’ve played with since i bought this awesome game.

Host

…Sure, I have time for tournament of PBEM games. I’m in.

Host

think about what you might be about to post on this

Will all settings be their default value, including gamespeed, the geography sliders, starting skills, number of heroes, max hero level, etc… barring specifically noted exceptions?

Will Heroes have resurgance?

Will offered Heroes match the player’s race?

Will Beacons or Seals be enabled?

Will Cosmic Events be enabled, and to what level?

Will settling be enabled?

Will Empire Quests be enabled?

Allied Victory will obviously be off, but will players be forced into teams of 1, or can they temporarily make peace/ally with each other? If players cannot ally, will players be allowed to choose not to attack another player (i.e. ‘informally’ ally)? And, if players are not allowed to intentionally leave someone alone, how would that rule be enforced?

SeeR

think about what you might be about to post on this

Will all settings be their default value, including gamespeed, the geography sliders, starting skills, number of heroes, max hero level, etc… barring specifically noted exceptions?

Will Heroes have resurgance?

Will offered Heroes match the player’s race?

Will Beacons or Seals be enabled?

Will Cosmic Events be enabled, and to what level?

Will settling be enabled?

Will Empire Quests be enabled?

Allied Victory will obviously be off, but will players be forced into teams of 1, or can they temporarily make peace/ally with each other? If players cannot ally, will players be allowed to choose not to attack another player (i.e. ‘informally’ ally)? And, if players are not allowed to intentionally leave someone alone, how would that rule be enforced?

yes i have thought of these already and have a good idea of what base settings will be

Heroes will not be matching Race.
    Seals will be off
    Beacons will be on Set at 2
    Hero Resurgence will be off
    Empire Quests will be on
    Settling Cities Enabled
    Gamespeed Normal
    Leader Plus 5 hero limit max Level 30

I have specific Setting For Landscape i would like to use for all the games but not revealing until we are close to full.

Hiliadan

Hero Resurgence will be off

We are talking about hero resurgence in auto-combat, right? Having it off does not look like a good idea since auto-combat between players is mandatory in PBEM and heroes die very easily in auto-combat… I don’t see the point of not allowing hero resurgence in auto-combat.

By the way, we have 1 (or 2) slots still free for a competitive PBEM game, please join here: http://www.the-battlefield.com/aow3/index.php?page=bfmgames&listid=17 then I’ll give you the password of the game.

Host

…Here’s a question; is this to be done using the beta version? I’m a GoG owner, so the beta is out of the question for me.

…Also, outside of the geography, you didn’t mention what Cosmic Event level would be in use, or whether allying was allowed (before eventually killing them/making the beacons to find the true victor)?

ExNihil

Cool, nice idea. I am currently in 5 PBEM games so until 1 finishes I can’t join, but once does I will gladly do so. I am uncertain about the XL map settings though – I will really lose the rest of my hair by the time these games will be over, perhaps large is enough?

Eskild

Hi.

I would really like to participate, but I’m hindered until late CET 23/7.

Cheers Eskild (SteamId: Euzekiel)

Great! Count me in please. Like ExNihil I’m also involved in 5 games ATM (we actually share 2).

Some suggestions:

• It would be nice if all players stick to the same leader/race for the duration of this tournament. So the leader/race that wins the first match should compete in the next with the same sphere picks.

• The map settings for the first and second round are similar, so any strategies etc. can be retained as much as possible. So a 4 player / med + UG map for the finale and runner-up games as well: having 2 players less will already provide more space and longevity. I think XL will take way too long to comp(l)ete, and is better suited for “single epic matches” for whomever feels like it, than tournament play.

• I really think heroes should match player race. Goblins for example will have a large risk of getting a hero who hates the terrain and this can be a serious disadvantage when starting on a large patch of blight. It also makes Dwarves etc. a much safer choice, and some races already have this advantage especially with UG.

• Finally, perhaps (I’m really not sure this is necessary) all players should notify you, the organiser, of their picks. This way you could distribute the races / classes as evenly as is possible to 4 x 6 pools (and appoint a host for each) in order to avoid matches with no UG players or 6 Theocrats. Again the randomness can be part of the fun so I’m not sure this is necessary at all. However, I really do like matches where I have to face different races/classes, and I think most others do.

SeeR

The Settings are far from finalized

Yes Hreo Resugence for Autocombat makes sense

and yes perpahs sticking to meium maps would be wise as well.

Appreciate the comments

NINJEW

put me in

cicero

I´d love to be in as well!

SeeR

well that’s 9 spots filled already

Yes all games will have to be played with the Non-Beta Version to accommodate any non Steam users. It will be up to the host of each one to restart turns if somebody forgets and plays a turn on BETA.

Everyone who wishes to play should register on the Battlefield website posted by HILIADAN on the second post of this thread. It will allow us to keep in contact and is a nice little site for AoW3 players anyhow. Not an absolute necessity if you check the forum on a regular basis…. but there is no way to message other forum members on this site….

Fenraellis

Rule #1 …. must have at least one nice beverage such as ( Beer , Wine , Whiskey Vodka , Tequila etc. ) while performing your PBEM turn. (unless abstenance required by religion or medical condition )

B-but… what if you just don’t drink by choice? 😛

Anyway, mostly dropped into the thread to comment that I was amused by the thread title of “End of Summer”, when a 24 player PBEM tournament could easily go into next year, hah!

Castaneda

definately in!!!!

How about this simple tournament setup? It will be over 3 rounds with some elimination in each. So 12 players will still be in full competition after round 1 (instead of 6) and admission to the finale is flexible and fair.

TOURNAMENT over 3 Rounds

ROUND 1 Kickoff, 4 matches of 6 players
    win 3 pts.
    2nd 2 pts.
    3rd 1 pts.
    4th out
    5th out
    6th out

ROUND 2 Semi-finals, 2 matches of 6 players (2x winner + 2x runner-up + 2x 3rd)
    win 4 pts.
    2nd 3 pts.
    3rd 2 pts.
    4th 1 pts.
    5th out
    6th out

ROUND 3 Finals, 1 match of 4-6 players* (= with most points from rounds 1+2)

*Best 4 players + those ending equally. Most likely this will be 4-6 players but the actual number will be depending on the number of players ending with equal points. I think there may be a RARE case where 8 players can end up with 4 points. edit: not

SeeR

@ Fenraelis –> If you don’t drink alcohol by choice then have a cup of coffee or tea or something …. there is no penalty for breaking rule #1

@Pothead Pixie –> Looks like a good format but will take that much longer

I am trying to keep it short and simple ( First Round 4 games commencing at same time) Second Round ( 2 Games Commencing at same time )

Fen , its only 2 Rounds of PBEM games hopefully it won’t go on that long if we have a one day turn timer and players are committed to doing their turns, it should go faster than the 480 day maximum that it would take to do say an 80 turn game…. I find with the leveling in PBEM it will likely be much shorter im hoping for 2 months to complete first round of games optimistically…. but I guess u never know right….

SeeR

Oh & Castaneda awesome that makes 10

SeeR

On the topic of alliances brought up , at the start of game each player will have a team # assigned , so you are not able to ally with anybody, you will be at war with all other players.

SeeR, it’s +1 extra round indeed but the same otherwise ( ( First Round 4 games commencing at same time) Second Round ( 2 Games Commencing at same time ) (…)
    Just a suggestion, appreciate your comments.

Teehon

I’d love to take part in a FFA tournament, but:

which will be 4 x 6 player FFA’s on Med Maps with UG

Followed by an 4 Player XL map for all the winners

and a 4 player XL Mapp ( Surface Only ) for all the runners up in first round (Last to Die by winners hand).

6 players FFA takes AGES even on a Medium map.

4 player XL would take an year even if everyone has 24 hours to make a turn.

This will not work.

NINJEW

bright side: PBEM only allows large and lower, so slightly not so bad

still pretty bad though, should probably just keep it to medium

Gilafron

Count me in. Thanks.

Olop

If there is still room, count me in.

Hotpixels

Sounds like fun! I’m away until 28th of July, I hope that’s not a problem?

ExNihil

Ok, I’m in, depending on what kind of clock we are going to have for the games.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 336 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.