Equal levelling speed for all unit tiers.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Balance Suggestions Equal levelling speed for all unit tiers.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Fenraellis 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

zlefin

I’d like if all unit tiers leveled at the same speed; instead of high tier units getting faster leveling than lower tier units. High tier units are good enough already, they don’t need the advantage of faster leveling as well.

Wallthing

Eh? You’ve got it backwards. Low tier units require less experience to reach a particular rank. You feel this isn’t enough to balance the general superior killing ability of high-tier units? I find them to be fairly equal – about half the time I’m trying to level my high-tier units faster, the other half I want to level some of my still-essential low tier units.

Fenraellis

Units gain experience per action relative to their tier level, although it is true that experience requirements for progression doesn’t follow a literal multiplier of tiers for promotion levels beyond Trooper. The primary reason why higher leveled units level faster, though, is simply because they are more likely to deal killing blows on enemy units.

zlefin

Fenrae -> I disagree, I think the faster leveling is due to the leveling speed difference. A tier 3 should be killing tier 3’s as often as a tier 1 kills tier 1’s.
    That tier 1 units need ~40% more effort (either in equivalent tier units killed or in actions) to reach gold than tier 4’s is quite a big difference. That 40% difference is easily enough to be the primary reason.

Ericridge

We would be seeing 400+ hp champion tier 4 units if this was to go through.

zlefin

That is an idiotic comment eric ridge; if you’re going to comment at least try to read and understand the proposal. I said equal leveling speed, not unequal leveling speed. That is very VERY clear.

Smaug3

That is an idiotic comment eric ridge; if you’re going to comment at least try to read and understand the proposal. I said equal leveling speed, not unequal leveling speed. That is very VERY clear.

Actually, that’s what Ericridge was saying. It takes 70 experience to get a tier one to elite, 200 for a tier four. Higher tiers gain exp faster simply because, at that point in the game, there is a lot more fighting. More fighting means more chances to kill things, which means more xp in turn. Equal leveling speed would be impossible, as each unit is exposed to different battles each game. It’s pretty fair the way it works now.

zlefin

Smaug, why should it take more actions/kills for low tier units to get gold than for high tier units? It’s not about early vs late game, it’s about the amount of effort it takes for a unit to level. You don’t seem to be getting that. Higher tiers level faster because they don’t need to get as many kills or do as much fighting as lower tier units.
    There’s a big difference between 70 attacks vs 48 attacks.
    Unless you actually address THAT difference, you’re not getting what’s been clearly stated.

ephafn

There’s a big difference between 70 attacks vs 48 attacks.

I think that most of the disagreements you are getting are due to you not mentioning that fact from the start.
    EXP to gold medal (number of normal strikes)
    tier 1: 70 (70)
    tier 2: 110 (55)
    tier 3: 150 (50)
    tier 4: 200 (50)

I would guess that most people never realized that the EXP for medals above the first one are not proportional to the tier, unlike the EXP for the Trooper medal.

But beside that, in my eyes what makes higher tier units level up “faster” is that they don’t die as quickly. But maybe that’s because I avoid killing enemies with higher tier units, since it wastes EXP (you don’t get the normal “strike” EXP when killing an enemy).

Fenraellis

One thing to also consider here is that Tier 1 and 2 units are the only ones that can benefit from an extra Medal from a Racial T3 building.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.