Expanding the website: leader class pages

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Expanding the website: leader class pages

This topic contains 66 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  AwesomeLion 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Pff, “revealed soon”. How about “revealed now!”, trololo. 😛

@awesomelion As you can see, we’ve just added a new subnavigation for the classes. If we add new ones or update existing ones, you’ll see it there immediately.

And it looks wonderful. Excellent job.

TheSpeaker

Looks great, thanks Jimmy! 🙂

Now, if you guys are too busy to be working on Dev journals, you may as well just release one of these class pages a week instead so that you can finish off whatever it is you’re all doing… and well, you know, so that we don’t storm your offices and demand our weekly fix.

We’ll expect Theocrat tomorrow, thanks 😉

jimmy

The order in which the classes are displayed now in the navigation bar, are not necessarily the order we’ll release the pages in. 🙂

But yes, it’s the plan to release more info about individual classes now that we’re moving closer to release. About one class per month I estimate.

At the same time we’ll also add new units and skills to existing pages, as soon as we’re confident enough they will appear in the final game. But even then, things can change when needed.

Tomipapa

But yes, it’s the plan to release more info about individual classes now that we’re moving closer to release. About one class per month I estimate.

I’m not demanding one class/week, but isn’t one month/class a bit long? 5 class remained, that’s 5 month. I hoped for an early-mid Q1 release, but this 5 month would mean the very end of Q1.

TheSpeaker

That would mean what, a release at either at the end of March or beginning of April? Very end of Q1. Still, that’s not TOO long, but I was kind of hoping for at least February. It’s still something I guess. It’s actually sooner than I thought it would be for some reason. I just fear another delay 🙁

Kane

^nooooooooooooo!

I cant wait that long i was hoping for jan or feb at max devs have mercy give us a beta at the start of jan… 🙁

jimmy

If I told you the exact interval you would know the release date, which we are not entirely sure about ourselves yet. But yeah, Q1 is still unchanged 😉

AwesomeLion

If I told you the exact interval you would know the release date, which we are not entirely sure about ourselves yet. But yeah, Q1 is still unchanged ;)

Fair enough =) Is there an estimated time for the next class or class info to be added? Thanks for taking the time to reply these many questions we have!

Flenoom

Looks great, thanks Jimmy!

Did you notice the new avatar of a sorcerer? 🙂

TheSpeaker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheSpeaker wrote:</div>
    Looks great, thanks Jimmy!

Did you notice the new avatar of a sorcerer? :)<br>

I did! It looks great, but now it means that mine is outdated 🙁 Don’t suppose you guys have one over there somewhere for me in colour? And a bit bigger maybe? Or do I have to wait until the Sorcerer page is released and steal the crest from there? 🙂

I like yours speaker, yours looks like a dwarven wizard, the other looks more elven.
    All that norse style runic dwarven magic is something i would love to see in game.

Sorceror is by far going to be my fav class coming from the old games. Theocrat maybe too just so i can enslave my enemies in unholy armies >:D

TheSpeaker

I like yours speaker, yours looks like a dwarven wizard, the other looks more elven.<br>
    All that norse style runic dwarven magic is something i would love to see in game.

Sorcerer is by far going to be my fav class coming from the old games. Theocrat maybe too just so i can enslave my enemies in unholy armies >:D

Thanks, yeah it does actually. Ancient runic magic, and golems. I hope the Sorcerer creates golems. Already now I’ve got a scenario in my head of a great Dwarf fortress city far in the cold North protected by dwarven mages, giants and golems. Have I mentioned I like golems? 😉

I’m also keen to play an evil Theocrat, with red and black nation colours. Like some kind of zealous Sith Lord. This game is on my mind so much it’s actually ridiculous -_-

mrXD89

I’m also keen to play an evil Theocrat, with red and black nation colours. Like some kind of zealous Sith Lord. This game is on my mind so much it’s actually ridiculous -_-

So than I would join as a goblin leader called Yoda 😉

TheSpeaker

So than I would join as a goblin leader called Yoda ;)

Haha, that actually sounds like a great idea.

YESSS!!!

I like golems

YEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

So than I would join as a goblin leader called Yoda

lmao xD totally has to be done 😛
    I wonder what other interesting characters we can make with the character generator. This deserves its own thread but … hmmmm it is an interesting thought.

Tiny green goblin Yoda.
    Pretty much any character from Lotr. Maybe not hobbits … yet 😛
    Conan da Barbarian. The orc version. >:D
    Ryu (ninja gaiden) as a roque ! 😀

This sort of stuff really makes me happy they implemented this type of character creation system. Though i never got into it in elemental, that game was flawed, with poor customisation and the descriptions wouldnt hardly ever save – and AoW already seems as though it will be more powerful. + it has lore … good enough to argue about ^^

Oh and custom maps will demand custom characters! =)

AwesomeLion

What really shocks and disappoints me about all this is that when I check AoW3 homepage twice a day, there isn’t new information and teasers each time I check! Dah horrur!!

Personally, I have no idea which race and class I’ll go with yet. I mean, probably all of them because I always play all classes and races in a game where you can do so, but which one is gonna be my “main” race and class combo is still undecided.

Two friends of mine who are gonna join me in this game already have their go to combination. One always plays dwarf and warrior so he is going to be dwarf warlord. Other one always plays elf and mage so obviously high elf sorcerer. Guess I’m the only one without a defined personality. That or split personality.

Hoping next tease will be a class that hasn’t been revealed at all yet, meaning either warlord or sorcerer. Dreadnaught, Theocrat, Archdruid and Rogue have all four been shown in a trailers so far so would be nice to get a trailer for one of the remaining two <3

Murcelago

Dreadnaught, Theocrat, Archdruid and Rogue have all four been shown in a trailers so far so would be nice to get a trailer for one of the remaining two <3

C’mon, man! How much of rogue have you seen?

RedDino

I think I want to try all combinations, but my first game definitely will be Orc Archdruid/Warlord/Theocrat but I also really look forward to the Sorcerer. Omg there are so many possible things to try!!! I´m hot for that game!!! And of corse I want to see that map-editor and create a XL map for me and my friends just to explore and play all that new things!!!

AwesomeLion

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AwesomeLion wrote:</div>
    Dreadnaught, Theocrat, Archdruid and Rogue have all four been shown in a trailers so far so would be nice to get a trailer for one of the remaining two <3

C’mon, man! How much of rogue have you seen?

Heh, about 5 minutes if you include the character creation part =3 Dude died though so didnt get to see more =/

Murcelago

Heh, about 5 minutes if you include the character creation part =3 Dude died though so didnt get to see more =/

So much as I’ve seen. I guess it’s not enough to say we’ve seen the rogue class. It’s more likely that we’ve seen dreadnought, theocrat, some of archdruid and a footnail of rogue. I personally would like to see more about the rogue class.

AwesomeLion

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AwesomeLion wrote:</div>

So much as I’ve seen. I guess it’s not enough to say we’ve seen the rogue class. It’s more likely that we’ve seen dreadnought, theocrat, some of archdruid and a footnail of rogue. I personally would like to see more about the rogue class.

No doubt about it, I’d love to see more of the rogue too and I curse that that dude sucked so much that we didnt get to see more =p However, I’d rather see one of the classes that haven’t been shown off at all just to get a look at the inner workings of the other classes =)

I’m very curious what differentiates a Sorcerer from, say a Theocrat. Golems mayhaps?

From what i have gathered, theocrat is about buffing and debuffing while the sorcerer is about raw damage

AwesomeLion

Does that also translate to the Sorcerer’s unique class units? Or are we talking the spells they use? When Lennart Sas mentioned the Rogue could plot terrorist actions, was that loose talk or some special kind of action the rogue can do; or rather, is it a spell just like holy war is a spell for the theocrat. So many unanswered questions =)

I reckon the options are:

• Special unit
    • Spell
    • Rogue building
    • Rogue Passive

More than likely it will be the rogues spells and involve the use of population (instead of mana) to undertake rogue like actions.

A Temporary cost of population are the people being sent on the mission(or a permanent cost depending on the type of mission), the time of the ‘spell’ being how long it takes to complete, like getting to the location etc

I think the rogue class is sounding really promising, TS seem to be applying proper rogue tactics that are even often left out of even advanced rpgs. Its very interesting to see how a rogue leading an empire would use those sneaky/survival skills advantageously.

I just hope that not all rogue skills are nefarious. I would like to see the typical sneaky-backstab-mwahahaha but also the silent-background-ninjaawesomepants style of play. I dont want to auto resort to being a nasty mofo sending my lovely slav… erm.. citizens on suicide missions as its the only or the best strategies for a rogue player.

I just hope that not all rogue skills are nefarious. I would like to see the typical sneaky-backstab-mwahahaha but also the silent-background-ninjaawesomepants style of play. I dont want to auto resort to being a nasty mofo sending my lovely slav… erm.. citizens on suicide missions as its the only or the best strategies for a rogue player.

A non nefarious rouge? heaven help us from such things!

But yeah, rouges should range from ridiculously chaotic evil (The clever but insane type who throws followers on the absurdly sharp point hidden in a dark throne room crowded with skulls because they need an even number of skulls) to chaotic good (come my fellow denizens of the darkness, lets rise up against the people of the light to rob them for our equal benefit. Bring the torches and rocks!)

Both could work, I think; the more vicious rouges could focus on elites as high status corrupt servitors (ala decadent slave assassins) as well as slave mobs.

The “nicer” rouge style could focus on “engaged proletarians” and self styled demagogue awesome fighter types (I fight for freedom with my three swords at once in your face).

These could be the results of different “research path specializations” within the rouge faction (are there mutually exclusive research paths? Do we know one way or the other?)

Personally i view those two types of rogue as one and the same, mainly as i dont view rogue as an evil class.

A ‘rogue’ by definition is a bad guy, he is the sneaky dishonest, do whatever it takes to get my way type of character. But thats if you look at the rogue class in its original conception.

In rpg games these classes are are divided into subclasses, and these evolved over a very large period of time. The four basic archetypes – warrior, mage, rogue, cleric evolved sub sets of classes that were very different to their parent class, although they still belonged to that overall class as they used the majority of the base mechanics. This is evident in both board games and video games.

Although many of these classes eventually separated away from their parent class and became something unique, its hard to say it has no influence remaining from that archetype.

I.e.
    Warrior > Duel wielding warriors > Berserker
    Warrior + Cleric > Paladin
    Rogue > Ranged attack > Ranger
    Rogue + Good guy > Adventurer/Scout
    Rogue + Bad guy > Thief/Assassin

The word ‘Rogue’ is imo.. a bad term for the class of Rogue and/or its sub-classes as the word is rather nasty by definition. Since the class grew up in “Role” playing games, the rogue became quite non-nasty with people being a good guy character and hence all the non nasty sub classes.

As this happened over a VERY long time period the rogue class has become something very unique, imo, containing more possibilities than any other parent class. Maybe mages being the only one with nearly as many good guy / bad guy sub classes.

As is the method of playing these games, you can still be a good guy or bad guy as any of these classes … but the base abilities define how it is supposed to be played. That is the reason for sub classes. For people who want to be a good rogue canonically.

That is why i hope that TS are not just making the rogue a bad guy character and giving the option to be the .. assassin rogue (the evil, sacrifice people for mission spells), scout rogue (the neutal, temporary cost of people mission spells) or the adventurer rogue, (the good, temporary cost of people mission spells)

These could be the results of different “research path specializations” within the rouge faction (are there mutually exclusive research paths? Do we know one way or the other?)

I dont think the game has research paths as such, but still uses the tier system. Or at least they haven’t mentioned a path system, though they did say they have a more advanced research book now giving you more appropriate spells (i.e. not giving the option to research fireball.v2 before fireball.v1 or whatever)

So perhaps the game will feature a basic system of tier progression in which the skills are tied to learning the previous tier for the next tier of that specific area.

The rogue, imo, would have the nefarious skills, the things that have a high risk to their own populations but a higher risk to their enemy. Missions like kill the enemies population, buildings, units or stop their research, etc

Would also have the neutral skills, the things that might hurt your citizens, maaybe, maaaybe not. Missions like Uncover enemy terrain, units, research. Increase/decrease morale, shroud the map for the enemy, etc.

The good guy rogue would send his population away on missions that … well yes could also result in harm but also increase morale and potentially bring in more population on the bigger spells. Things such as heroic missions with the description like ‘Send away x population guarded by x units. In 10 turns they will fight a dragon. If you win the fight you get X morale/population boost. If you loose the fight you suffer a ….’

vfxrob

this all is excellent thanks Jimmy! pretty excited like others here to see what else you guys have done with the class system its all still very much mysterious!

That is why i hope that TS are not just making the rogue a bad guy character and giving the option to be the .. assassin rogue (the evil, sacrifice people for mission spells), scout rogue (the neutal, temporary cost of people mission spells) or the adventurer rogue, (the good, temporary cost of people mission spells)

I think that, since this is the studio that made the Overlord series, we will have no problems with the judicious use of fantasy RPG tropes. I hope they make the rouge the “funny class”, because you can range from the Joker to Batman in play-style; thus presenting a comic goldmine.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.