First age of wonders to play seriously, couple of questions

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions First age of wonders to play seriously, couple of questions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Blooten13 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I got the first one and shadow magic. The series is the only fantasy strategy game that really mops the floor with me despite playing on easier difficulties. I have a few questions:

Is the story important? I would not mind playing the old ones for campaigns but unfortunately 1 was too brutal as I recalled, I skipped buying 2 because because it doesn’t have a random map generator, and I have a problem with shadow magic because I have this habit of using esc to deselect a unit and it quits the game.

Did they take off a lot of races and how significant is it? I remember seeing some cool races like the nomads and the halflings and I noticed they were gone.

What does race do and does it differ from being lets say a dwarven dreadnought and a goblin dreadnought?

Is the game intended to be this slow in terms of pace like building up the cities? It must be me but it takes a bit of time building an army, I like slower games, however, I fear that I am lagging behind.

Is there a way to permanently turn on hexes? the maps are too beautiful that sometimes I can’t determine which hex is which without turning it on.

Is there a problem with optimization for the game? I noticed it kinda looks choppy but tolerable and I think my laptop could handle it (nvidia GTX 765m, i7 and 16gig ram) though I haven’t tried it on my PC yet.

How could I repair machines?

Sorry for the tons of questions, Also this is my first topic here and hopefully I will discover how to find the posts that I made to see if there are any replies.

TheFizban

The story is everything!

Hmm, what do you mean by “important”? The story is really good if that’s what you’re going at. I loved storymodes in both AoW 1 and AoW 2, only thin that bothered me was AoW:SM as it kinda took it maybe too far, but that’s just my opinion. The campaign in 3 is intriguing so far but well, i am only missions in (goddammit “hard” is really hard!). I suggest playing all the campaigns if you’re into lore and that stuff.

As for races go, i believe AoW:SM at best had 12 playable races and now there are 6, but they kept the best ones and more are coming so i’ll just have to wait and see (Fingers crossed for tigrans because cat archers and shredders). Also some of the other races are now unplayable but still in the game as independent dwelling-things.

The game pace is adjustable, i’ve played mostly epic mega-army marathons but i had a few 30 min royal rumbles.

Hexes can be turned on with a button somewhere in the top right corner if i remember correctly, also domains and minimap adjusts from the same place.

Currently there’s a problem with framerate drops mostly with laptops that drive multiple graphics cards. i have nvidia GTX 780 2gb, i7 3230 and 2x4gb ram and i only get 20 fps at lowest settings. but there’s a promised fix in the 1st patch.

I hope i answered something and have a nice day :3

Races are not that radically different, classes are.

You do feel the need for specific racial units if you’re the min-maxing type, but the units in each race pretty much fulfill the same functions in broad strokes.

apopov

Is there a problem with optimization for the game? I noticed it kinda looks choppy but tolerable and I think my laptop could handle it (nvidia GTX 765m, i7 and 16gig ram) though I haven’t tried it on my PC yet.

Disable SSAO in graphic options as it has a huge impact on framerate in the current version of the game. That by itself should be enough – if not click off the extra effects checkboxed. My GPU is weaker then yours, without SSAO and reflections the game runs great.

Machines can only be repaired by staying in cities with Master Guilds, or Engineer units that have leveled up enough (engineers are easy to level up by constantly reloading artillery machines)

Slow – definitely not.

Build up of cities or any sort of turtling is a losing strategy. You should keep you cash balance low and play as aggressively as possible. Liberal use of settlers to get new cities going is advised (keep in mind rules of domain constriction when selecting city placement). The game is mostly won/lost at initial expansion stage – with current sad state of diplomacy. Pickup of resource piles, training up heroes/starting units on independent stacks is vitally important.

PurpleFanta

I dont have time to read through all of the responses, but dont bank on being able to find other races if you dont start as that race. I played an Extra Large map, and the continent I started on consisted of only goblins and elves, with one massive pure evil dwarf fortress in the corner. Yes alot of the races have been taken out, but there is an explanation for most of them, I believe. However, there are dwellings such as Archon Crypts that are new that add an interesting twist, they are very hard to convince to join your empire, and usually have really strong defense. I dont know if I’ve discovered all of the different types yet, but there are Dragon roosts, Giants, Undead Archons and I heard my brother say he found Pirates in the ocean once.

On top of that, there is mod support (or going to be) so you might see all of the classic races in the game eventually

The story is everything!

Hmm, what do you mean by “important”? The story is really good if that’s what you’re going at. I loved storymodes in both AoW 1 and AoW 2, only thin that bothered me was AoW:SM as it kinda took it maybe too far, but that’s just my opinion. The campaign in 3 is intriguing so far but well, i am only missions in (goddammit “hard” is really hard!). I suggest playing all the campaigns if you’re into lore and that stuff.

As for races go, i believe AoW:SM at best had 12 playable races and now there are 6, but they kept the best ones and more are coming so i’ll just have to wait and see (Fingers crossed for tigrans because cat archers and shredders). Also some of the other races are now unplayable but still in the game as independent dwelling-things.

The game pace is adjustable, i’ve played mostly epic mega-army marathons but i had a few 30 min royal rumbles.

Hexes can be turned on with a button somewhere in the top right corner if i remember correctly, also domains and minimap adjusts from the same place.

Currently there’s a problem with framerate drops mostly with laptops that drive multiple graphics cards. i have nvidia GTX 780 2gb, i7 3230 and 2x4gb ram and i only get 20 fps at lowest settings. but there’s a promised fix in the 1st patch.

I hope i answered something and have a nice day :3

What I meant by the importance of the story is if the campaign is directly tied to the previous campaigns and is it really really important to know the story or it is enough just to hear some bits about it in the campaign in this game.

As for the hexes, I know how to turn them on or off but they keep on going off when I reload the game and whenever I shift from tactical to strategic and vice versa. I don’t know if there is an option to permanently turn it on.

As for the races, I guess it is alright that I could not play as all of them as long as some of them are available as recruitable units in the map like the archons.

I do hope they would make turtling feasible as I love to turtle and kind of build my empire tall instead of wide. But I suppose this is more HoMM-ish other than closer to 4x if it favours aggression all the time instead of exploration and combat. I kind of don’t want to play a map and win on the least number of turns possible. That is the reason why I kind of shy away from most scenario-based wargames with win in X turns scenarios.

Blooten13

The story of number one is the best story ever! the fact that u can get so many different endings is amazing. U can even get some really evil endings where ur the last thing alive!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.