[Forum-Project] Tutorial Map/Campaign – Who's up for the challenge?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making [Forum-Project] Tutorial Map/Campaign – Who's up for the challenge?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Charlatan 7 years ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Thariorn

So,uh, yeah. As the title says I’m wanting to set up a place for discussions of how to create a proper tutorial map/chain of maps.
    I don’t want to ignore the effort the Court-Campaign puts in teaching the gameplay, but there’s just very much to learn and the campaign just does not cover that.

There’s multiple ways of setting up a Tutorial tho. YOu could either go and put everything in a single map OR you could make a campaign in which you slowly introduce multiple levels of gameplay, be it different races/classes/climates or just certain tactical challenges where strategic map placement and unit-abilities are required to come out victorious.

So yeah, regardless of which way we decide to take, any work can be split up.
    E.g. scripts/messages can be set up by person A and be send to person B via Steam; A creates map 1 and B creates map 2 etc.

Charlatan

I sign up for the following tasks:

> Script Messages & Timers
    > Creating the Terrain
    > Early Empire Management

There’s definitely better people for Late-Game, Multiplayer, Large-Scale Battles, Class Tactics.

Charlatan

I’ve taken the liberty to create the base platform for this project:

http://www.charlatan.at/Images/AOW3/AOW3%20Community%20Tutorial.rar

It’s a package containing:
    1x An Empty Campaign
    1x An Image for the Campaign Button
    1x An Image for the Steam Workshop
    3x Map Images for the Briefing

The Map Images suggest a few short steps just before the Elven Court Campaign, with the two House Inioch kids.

Change whatever you want – I included the source files for the Images (G.I.M.P. format)

Thariorn

Wow, thanks for your quick work O.O

I’ll look into it during the day ~

Thariorn

Ok, first off, props to you Charlatan, good work with the Images.

About the Sundren/Thannis story, well in the end your Leader’s Race/Class is pretty superficial for the gameplay-basics, so taking their route is fine.

Would be nice if we got some more people into this (Not necessarily to work on maps or anything, but for brainstorming/ideas/lategame etc.)

Charlatan

Anytime Thariorn, and: Indeed!
    I’d be up, but time is an issue. Also I am lacking experience in various in-game topics – especially multiplayer behavior (what with using auto-combat etc).

As for the Setting, well, we could give poor late Thannis some screentime 😛

Yuriohs

This looks legit! And will especially be needed with the new expansion. I back this 🙂

Narvek
    Keymaster

Sounds cool, if you have any questions, please ask! 🙂

For example (you may very well already know, but just in case) if you play in debug mode and select a T.o.W. page it will give you a hyperlink in the console.

You can then use that in story messages (add [/hyperlink] at the end) to link directly to a Tome of Wonders page.

Tibbles

I’d like to help with this, but I’m not very good at using the editor.

I think it’s best to split it up into 2 campaigns (if you want to discuss the advanced stuff as well), Basics & Advanced

For the Basics, look at the game from a perspective of never having played a TBS or 4x before. Keep it short and to the point. No need to add story.
    What you’d need to focus on:

Unit movement (selecting unit and moving it, explain movement points)
    Explain what a leader is
    How to found a city(explain city/empire income)
    Ending the turn(explain what this means, the movement points come back, construction continues etc
    Building a building in a city
    Starting Research (block off most research)
    Building a unit in a city
    Explain upkeep
    Explain visit structures and treasure sites
    Tactical combat
    Meeting an indie city

As far as I know there is no way to highlight UI elements through scripting, so maybe use the campaign art to show the UI elements you need in the tutorial.

You can use Sundren as a leader, with a seperate Settler as the starting group

Charlatan

If we all agree on an initial theme I’d gladly paint down a map, a simple tutorial calls for a small map anyway so it won’t take long.

I’m undecided, I’m either for:

a) What Tibles Said

b) Starting the first map without settler, giving movement/combat basics, maybe towers etc, the city topic delayed by a really simple clichè situation like the Settler/Builder being captured by evil guys 😮

Charlatan

Since everyone (including me) was lazy until now, I’ve thrown together a very small map meant to be 1/3 that could be used as framework to finish, if others contribute.

You might want to replace the text to give it a more serious approach – the placeholders are extra stupid and will make your brain hurt. :p

Script, Quest and Message names are a bit chaotic… can’t help it, we don’t seem to be able to order them manually at the moment. The Tutorial Messages only cover rough basics, but the map leaves enough space for others to edit and add more. It doesn’t intend to cover city management yet.

(link below)

Tibbles

I’ve written the text/script for the tutorial, and made a basic layout.
    It’s basically the AoW1 tutorial tweaked for this game.

Charlatan

@tibbles

This would be great as a start for the campaign, I would like if we merged this in to come before the map I made, because mine may point out basic controls, but I think it rushes ahead a bit too much later on, yours seems to treat new players more gently.

Mine was meant to have it’s text replaced, but still it mentions:

Basic Controls (WASD / Left Click / Right Click)
    Towers and what they do
    How to engage an enemy army (manual / auto)
    Fortresses, Domain, and Structures
    Raid-able independent structures
    Treasures (gold, mana, chest)
    Shrine

which was intended to be part 1/3, with the next map providing infos about cities etc.

ATM the script is rather silly, but tbh, the way Sundren describes Thannis in the vanilla campaign I start to think it’s not that far off.

Tibbles

Just so it’s clear, I don’t actually know how to use LUA scripting, all I can do is write the text and gameflow (when I said I wrote the script, I meant as in a movie script, not code)

We can’t script dialogue or events inside tactical combat can we? That is actually a really big deal, makes it very hard to do any tutorial on combat.

Being able to set up gimmick fights that explain concepts like flank, guard, zones of control etc and then have the player demonstrate they understand them would be really helpful. A Monster than can only be injured from a flank attack, or an attack that will auto-kill you unless you guard (then respawn you and let you try again and explain how to guard again)..things like that would really help. Being able to add, remove, heal, etc units in combat as part of the tutorial would help too.

Is this possible? Because we could really use a tutorial on tactical combat.

That and one on using the tome of knowledge. It holds a lot of really good information and it daunting to new players if they even realize it is there at all. That one at least can be done from the strategic map and use hyperlinks, so no problem there.

Charlatan

Just so it’s clear, I don’t actually know how to use LUA scripting, all I can do is write the text and gameflow (when I said I wrote the script, I meant as in a movie script, not code)

That is what I meant aswell – the very simple 1-map campaign in my link above is playable already, including a variety of scripted messages explaining things, but the actual text-script or “narration” can do with an overhaul.

I’ll gladly change/add play-ready maps to it exactly as you guys ask for, but the actual tutorial hints and dialogue should better be handled by someone else.

Feel free to download the package, play it, and give me instructions how you want to proceed ^^

We can’t script dialogue or events inside tactical combat can we? That is actually a really big deal, makes it very hard to do any tutorial on combat.

Being able to set up gimmick fights that explain concepts like flank, guard, zones of control etc and then have the player demonstrate they understand them would be really helpful. A Monster than can only be injured from a flank attack, or an attack that will auto-kill you unless you guard (then respawn you and let you try again and explain how to guard again)..things like that would really help. Being able to add, remove, heal, etc units in combat as part of the tutorial would help too.

Is this possible? Because we could really use a tutorial on tactical combat.

That and one on using the tome of knowledge. It holds a lot of really good information and it daunting to new players if they even realize it is there at all. That one at least can be done from the strategic map and use hyperlinks, so no problem there.

It is surely possible in the game engine – I remember in your first fight in the EC campaign it opens up a tome of wonders page.

Alas, the Editor doesn’t allow it yet – research on this is pending. I wonder if there is an OnDeath or similar event that might trigger when a unit dies in TC.

Kaiosama TLJ

Too bad I’m not talented in coding, but I will make at least some suggestion how to structure the tutorial.

Like Tibbles said, the tutorials could be split into mini-campaings or scenarios, each one covering an different aspect of the game separately.

For example, we could have one campaing teaching about Warlords, then another one teaching about Orcs, and another one teaching about Specializations, and so on…

I’m making this suggestion because certain races and classes, like Necromancer and Halflings, are DLC. If we put everything on the same tutorial campaing people that own only the vannila game will not be able to play it.

Making a different tutorial for every race and class would be a lot of work and no new player is going to want to sit through it all honestly. The goal is to be simple, quick, and easy to learn, while also engaging and fun. If the new player feels like they have to wait many hours before getting to play the game we’ve kinda failed at the point of a tutorial.

As long as they understand how the game works they can enjoy it, and find out their favorite playstyle on their own. That is a big part of the fun of the game, coming up with your own strategies.

The baby birds just need to be able to flap their wings enough to leave the nest. We just need to help them avoid smacking into the ground, they can learn to soar on their own and feel more rewarded for doing it themselves.

Tibbles

@charlatan I can’t get your map to open in the game, maybe because I’m in the beta, but I can open the package in the launcher, the map itself won’t show up.

So if we can get the map to work like I’ve written it. We’ve gone over the most basic parts:
    -Basic Research
    -Moving armies
    -Watchtower and Line of Sight
    -Ending turn/movement points
    -Settlers and founding cities
    -Throne city
    -Production
    -Resource structures and exploration sites
    -Caves and underground
    -Pickups
    -Sieging
    -Winning
    It should take new players about 10-20 minutes to complete, and you can’t really lose.

What would be a good layout of things to show in the second map?

PS:
    THe info about classes, races and specilisations will be a lot clearer in the leader setup in the next update. Instead of just flavor text it will say the hard stats and a point description of the features of classes and stuff. That will also help new players a lot.

Nice! That will help a lot so we won’t need a tutorial on character creation…..which we can’t really do from inside the game itself anyway. Good news!

Charlatan

@Charlatan I can’t get your map to open in the game, maybe because I’m in the beta, but I can open the package in the launcher, the map itself won’t show up.

Found the error, it’s corrected, with the folder unrar’d into UserContent you should get the campaign image in the Community Campaign tab.

AOW3 Tutorial Campaign Framework:
    AOW3 Community Tutorial Package

Image Source (GIMP Format)
    Tutorial Image Source GIMP

Dr_K

What would be a good layout of things to show in the second map?

At least the start of a list. Might be missing something obviously better tpoics.

Definitely Spellcasting
    Different Movement Types
    Terrain/Clime Effects
    –Movement
    –Unit Morale & City Happiness
    Heroes
    –Items
    –Leveling
    Class Unit Differences
    –Maybe not all, but at least some for show
    Spawning Structures
    Visit Sites
    Dwellings

Seems no one has done a tactical combat writeup? I can do that. Something like:

-Flanking
    -Guarding
    -Unit archetypes and common uses
    -Opening the unit description to see the specifics of any given unit

That should cover the basics.

Somewhere in the tutorial we need to cover how to use the tome of wonder as well. New players, if they even know it is there, tend to not realize how to get the most out of it. I could do that one too if no one else wants it, should be short to write.

Thariorn

So, as I now have a buttload of time, I can finally dedicate myself to this in a meaningfull way ~

Triscopic

Not sure if this is still happening, but since it’s taken me since the launch of the base game to realise I can settle on a fort to upgrade it into a town and inherit the wall by doing so, can I suggest you include that? Until very recently I was tearing them down before sending the seeker over. Doh.

Charlatan

Thanks for the reminder!

Surely, most here simply are being busy, the project is not scrapped ^^

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.