Gamescom 2013 Dreadnought trailer released

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Gamescom 2013 Dreadnought trailer released

This topic contains 130 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Brother JO 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 131 total)
  • Author

jimmy

Gamescom 2013 has started today for our team here in Cologne and we are showing Age of Wonders III to an armada of games magazines and -websites. The
    [See the full post at: Gamescom 2013 Dreadnought trailer released]

Piko LV

Haha, I watched it about 2 minutes after it released. 😀 I’m a pro fan.

Oh man that was so epic, i loved it! And i think that the new siege method is brilliant, im not sure how well it will play out with 3 stacks v 3 stacks with both sides summoning more to the field but in the video it looks like so much fun 🙂

And the underground! Yes… im very pleased with the underground 😀

edit: so good i have to watch it again – taking notes this time hehe

Pampalini

Congratulation! Very Impressive!
    Please dont abandon the game after release, if you can.
    Make it big and complete as possible.(I expect to give minimum another 3 years to finish it(expansions,patches etc..)):)

I wish health,love and richness(in that order)

Tomipapa

Ok guys i dont know what to say. I could write a 3 page long post about this, but even 3 page is not enough to describe the awesome things i saw in this video. So lets just simply say: You guys are f*cking awesome epic cool developers 🙂

ps: I love the new “savage” look of the orcs

TanC

My first ever post will be dedicated to this:

“Hell Yes!”

Love the siege and the city expansion mechanic! Can’t wait for more info on these. If anything, you’ve pretty much secured my pre-order. 🙂

A few things i would like to see a little different:

“Cant use ability for 1 turns” should be “…turn”
    Its a small thing, but i think its one of those things that people will look at thinking … what o.O that’s wrong.

Also, is it an option to make the popup damage icons last longer? They disappear very fast. Im sure once you play the game for any amount of time then all you need is a glance, but for the first while (long while in my case lol) it could be beneficial to have those damage popups last just a little bit longer.

ps: I love the new “savage” look of the orcs

The shock troopers look so good, a proper orc unit! lol
    I downloaded the video and played it slowly to look at everything, so many new things we havnt seen yet – makes me very very happy. Love all the icons – they are perfect.

My fav. though is the one on the second quest screen (over the dwarf city), the top middle icon of the undead skull. Looks so funny 😀 I thought it was great lol that white face staring at the player xD brilliant

Tawni

Looks absolutely great 😀

Red Key

Amazingly awesome! I’m going to watch that again later and pause as I go along to take everything in. I wonder what else they told the press/media.

Oh man, oh man, oh man, so many little details.

Love how clearing the forest gives you gold. It also seems that a city’s income (and production?) is largely dependant on the terrain within its domain. Very civ-like but without workers. Makes for interesting and very “organic” decision making when settling new towns/fortresses.

I really liked the spells shown due to their strong, yet measured, impact. Both the mana core and the druidic infinite summons give a sense of urgency and tension to the battle.

It’s also great that positioning is still important for ranged attacks. In a way it’s identical to AoW2 even though the attack formula is different.

Love where the game’s going.

ps: You misspelled “granary”. :p

11balanced

Thank you devs for that great video! Only positive impressions! Dwarves, caves, guns… Some very important part of AOW world is revealed and it looks really good. Of course the video arises some specific questions, which I humbly address to you:

Unit production: are engineer (tier 1) and musketeer (tier 2) both class-based units? And why are they available in newly established outpost, which is supposed to produce only miners?

Unit movement: I like it more when dwarves and cannons / machines are a bit slower than humans (20 mp vs 24 mp in AOW-1 and 2; IMO in AOW-3 combat it means 3 hexes instead of 4). Could you turn it back please?

Oh, just one naming suggestion regarding the “Spawn Siege Engine” spell. Spawn is a very organic word mostly related to fish, eggs, spiders and such. While it can certainly be used in a more general sense (like “create), when it comes to machinery, something like construct, assemble or even materialize (if it needs to sound “magical”) would probably fit better.

NEHZ

I like the reload on the cannons. (I also like a lot of the other stuff afcourse :P)

Wakah-Chan

I liked it very much. Thank you!

Interesting things I spotted:

1) What is two defence upgrades on a hero and vision range upgrade on Titan?
    2) Landship cutting forest and getting gold.
    3) River has a flow. I wonder if it is just eye candy or if it will influence movement points?
    4) There is a typo in the city build list: its Granary, not Granery).
    5) Canons shooting through multipule units (and walls).
    6) Canons and musketeers can fire every other turn.
    7) Flametank exploding beautifully after death))
    8) Wonder how projectile avoidance works if range units always hit now.
    9) Cities now seem to work much like in Civilization having gold, production and mana income from tiles.
    10) Looks like mines work for you only if you have your territory there or standing on them.
    11) Two orcish units had forest or jungle concealment.
    12) You can now disjunct dangerous several turn spells in combat.
    13) Shouldn`t flametank damage wooden walls 🙂

11balanced

I like the reload ability too but the new shooting mechanics (when guns can fire after spending even all mp) seems uncertain. It makes cannons not only devastating (which is natural) but highly mobile (which is unnatural). Can you imagine the cannon, which is maneuvering though the battle field and shooting at the same time? It’s really the only thing which I disliked in the video.

I think that cannons, catapults and other heavy machines without an engine should either stand and fire, or move (slowly). You need to protect them with melee units because it looks strange when you outmaneuver infantry with siege machines ) I suppose AOW-2 was more natural in this aspect.

It also seems that a city’s income (and production?) is largely dependant on the terrain within its domain. Very civ-like but without workers.

9) Cities now seem to work much like in Civilization having gold, production and mana income from tiles.

10) Looks like mines work for you only if you have your territory there or standing on them.

Yea they said this was how it would work in the first demo shown to us.

It’s also great that positioning is still important for ranged attacks. In a way it’s identical to AoW2 even though the attack formula is different.

Did you also notice the archers attacked 3 times? Not sure if that is how the gunners work as they also moved into the red(or orange?) then attacked with 1 shot (they have 3 shots if they do not move too? or always 1)

Oh, just one naming suggestion regarding the “Spawn Siege Engine” spell…. While it can certainly be used in a more general sense (like “create), when it comes to machinery, something like construct, assemble or even materialize (if it needs to sound “magical”) would probably fit better.

Totally agree, great idea bud +1 😀

1) What is two defence upgrades on a hero and vision range upgrade on Titan?

I was looking at that too, i have no idea. Perhaps its from the armour? Or its an upgrade path choice? Spells/buffs? Or worded wrong?

3) River has a flow. I wonder if it is just eye candy or if it will influence movement points?

Haha good idea, it makes sense but it would make for imbalanced maps i guess.

8) Wonder how projectile avoidance works if range units always hit now.

Notice the dmg difference in the video. The chance to miss from the object now just reduces damage taken (so it was something like -67% so it did waaay less damage than the other cannon in the first fight)

11) Two orcish units had forest or jungle concealment.

Not orcs …. Arch-Druid Orcs ! 😛

13) Shouldn`t flametank damage wooden walls

Yea i was a bit iffy on that too lol, i was expecting to see the walls go up in flames xD

Did you all see the 3 green boxes at the top of the unit when selected in combat? To the right of the medal icon? Any ideas what they are?
    I am thinking its not related to the medals themselves and maybe more so to the amount of movements left (3 moves per turn until your spent?) but its more likely a xp gauge, but i cant understand how it works from so many jumbled views of the units. Any ideas?

Wow! Great video, lots of details. Still… They start battles too close to each other IMHO.

Did you also notice the archers attacked 3 times? Not sure if that is how the gunners work as they also moved into the red(or orange?) then attacked with 1 shot (they have 3 shots if they do not move too? or always 1)

Pretty sure the guns/muskets fire only once. We had the same thing in AoW2 with 3 weaker ranged attacks vs. a single strong one (arrows/darts vs. pistol/crosbow).

Canons already feel constrained by the fact they can only fire once per 2 turns and they also need some mobility to line up those piercing shots but it does feel weird that they can still fire after moving into orange/red. In AoW2 single shot units needed to stay in the green movement area in order to shoot on the same turn. Still, the canons aren’t necessarily OP, just a bit weird. They have wheels and feel more like tanks/vehicles so maybe the mobility is, at least conceptually, justified. They probably should’ve just named the units, canon tank, flame tank, etc. and been done with it.

Wow! Great video, lots of details. Still… They start battles too close to each other IMHO.

It just looks that way, your archers could still reach the enemy on turn 1 in previous games and to increase the distance and ranges would make for silly movement times.

Red Key

Some things I noticed:
    -Research is now separate from mana production unlike past AoW games. Cities have options to “Generate Mana” or “Seek Knowledge” to boost mana or research, along with the classic “Merchandise” for boosting gold.
    -The spells in the spell book have Roman numerals next to them that seem to indicate their level. Destabilized Mana Core was a level VI spell.
    -Magic system seems similar to AoW2/SM. Gustav was not present at the town siege but cast the Destabilized Mana Core spell while sitting back in the capitol.

I liked the vast majority of it. I’m excited to see what other interesting new spells have been added to the game. The ones shown in the video looked really fun!

I think that cannons, catapults and other heavy machines without an engine should either stand and fire, or move (slowly). You need to protect them with melee units because it looks strange when you outmaneuver infantry with siege machines ) I suppose AOW-2 was more natural in this aspect.

I agree. I liked the AoW2 mechanics for machines. They could only fire if they stood still or moved a short distance (green range). I’m hoping this will change as they develop the game more and move out of alpha.

The town siege felt too close but I thought the other battle was fine.

i was expecting to see the walls go up in flames

I was also expecting the wooden walls to catch fire when the flametank blasted them.

vota dc

Cannons are weird because they damage multiple units, but they don’t hit friendly units.

NEHZ

Cannons are weird because they damage multiple units, but they don’t hit friendly units.

There’s a secret hand signal that makes all friendly forces duck in time 🙂

Red Key

I don’t remember seeing them fire when friendly units were in the path. Are you sure they don’t hit friendly units?

he purposefully repositioned his cannon so no friendlies were in the way … i assume they do hurt your own units – but i dont mind either way tbh

I agree that siege machines shouldn’t be able to fire after they have moved into “orange-red”. I find strange thet musketeers have to wait 1 turn too to be able to fie again. But probably is justified by the power of their attack, can’t judge just watching just 1 battle.

One thing that i didn’t liked is how the “dominion border” looks. Ok i Know is just pre-alpha, i’m just saing. But it looks too solid, and somehow suspended in the air. Imho it should follow terrain topography and be a little more ethereal.

All other things are just fine, go ahead with the good work.

sindustry

Seems pretty good,but one thing that i m concerned is; there are very powerful spells which can change course of the battle very easily. That explosion spell from dreadnought,summoning skill from archdruid and theocrat spells from the 1st gameplay video. It feels like spells are more important than units. I hope it ll be balanced on release.

Wakah-Chan

Did you all see the 3 green boxes at the top of the unit when selected in combat? To the right of the medal icon? Any ideas what they are?<br>
    I am thinking its not related to the medals themselves and maybe more so to the amount of movements left (3 moves per turn until your spent?) but its more likely a xp gauge, but i cant understand how it works from so many jumbled views of the units. Any ideas?

Its definetly movement stages (green, orange, red). You can see these green lights go off when the orc shaman and flame tank move in first combat. XP is shown on top in the unit description screen.

BTW The giant boar mount of the leader looks amazing)

vota dc

I’m not speaking about not being on the cannon trajectory (arrows, musket and cannon still hit your units if they are in the middle) but that when the cannonball landed it damaged the objective plus the adjacent enemy units but not the friendly ones. In AOW1 there wasn’t this problem because cannons couldn’t do area damage, but some spells could hit friendly units if they were in the “red square”. Or maybe cannonballs damage units that are on flank of the objective but not behind or on the front.

Flenoom

New maneuver on 9:24:
    Musketeers change direction without losing mp!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.