Gamescom 2013 Dreadnought trailer released

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Gamescom 2013 Dreadnought trailer released

This topic contains 130 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Brother JO 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Wakah-Chan

The engineers i agree with, i really like the way they work. However if the cooldown skill was given a cooldown (lol) then they should at least be turned into ranged units to give them some sort of usability for when they are on CD. Though i like them the way they are now.

They already have a pistol shot ability, considering one of the icons show a pistol.

Leon Feargus

Hah,
    First of all: I love it, I love it, I love it!!!

Now, some things that (I think) have not been mentioned yet:

+ In the left bottom not only the player avatar is displayed, also the spell/skill they are currently researching. (you can see it change due to video-edits)

+ The buttons for rush production and repeat production-queue are nicely integrated in the production interface.

+ The tactical combat maps are brilliant, I hope there are many of them or, even better, they are generated randomly (like before).

+ I really like the way you can expand your domain by building a fortress to include mines and nodes into your resources.

– There is a lack of facial expressions in the leaders/heroes. I know it’s heaps of work but the animation of Grelka when war is declared on her just doesn’t say it all.

– The musketeers have ‘archer’ as ability, I think ‘ranged weapon’ would be better.

– The pioneer would look much better with a single dwarf sitting at the reigns.

– The pop-up when pointing at a structure (granery) displays cost, while that is already visible in the production menu. It seems unnecessary imo.

? I think one of the complaints about aowIIsm was that people wanted heroes from their own race to join them. In this trailer the Dwarven Dreadnought leader receives help from a Human Rogue hero, which is ok, but what happens when you have an Orc Warlord leader accompanied by a Highelf Theocrat hero? Will such things affect morale?

? A newly built outpost is able to produce 4 different units (the pioneer requires more people). This seems like a lot. Are they all racial units?

! I would like to meet Tannah the Archdruid! She sure has one wicked-looking dragon-like unit :p

11balanced

Tomipapa:

The shooting any other turn is quite enough balance the moving+shooting cannon imo.

No it’s not ) You forgot that now cannons still have huge damage but can’t miss! So comparing to AOW-1 and 2 there are not 1 but 3 new strong advantages (along with maneuvering and multiple targets) vs just 1 disadvantage (reloading) which makes cannons overpowered.

But my concern here is less about balance, but more about realism (once again: cannons and tanks are different matters and they should behave differently).

+ The tactical combat maps are brilliant, I hope there are many of them or, even better, they are generated randomly (like before).

http://www.ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-visualising-the-battlefields/

… Level designers are able to pinpoint what obstacles will spawn and in which area. When entering the battlefield a random seed is generated to make the gameplay area unique but still controlled and in the proper setting. …

- The musketeers have ‘archer’ as ability, I think ‘ranged weapon’ would be better.

i didnt like that either, ranged weapon makes sense to me 😉

! I would like to meet Tannah the Archdruid! She sure has one wicked-looking dragon-like unit :p

huh ?

Leon Feargus

huh ?

After conquering Rudark (10 minutes) there is a message saying we met Tannah, and a dark/blue serpent next to the battle-chart.

looks awesome

After conquering Rudark (10 minutes) there is a message saying we met Tannah, and a dark/blue serpent next to the battle-chart.

looks awesome

o wow!! what is that? a Wrym ? looks so much better than the one in the last screenshot they showed us, and the animations on it are very nice too !

…which makes cannons overpowered.

It’s way, way, way too early to make such conclusions. Way…

Ice Age

A question if i may…
    By conquering Rudark (an orc city) Gustav gained access to orc units right?
    And though Rudark previous owner was an Archdruid, Gustav still wont be able to produce Archdruid units in Rudark because hes a Dreadnought?
    So during the game we can have access to the other races units but not the other classes units (unless some one give thouse unints as a present or a reward)?

That’s right, yeah.

Edit: Actually, I don’t know if this time you can give units as gifts. That would be new. But you can get them from quest rewards, yeah.

A question if i may…<br>
    By conquering Rudark (an orc city) Gustav gained access to orc units right?<br>
    And though Rudark previous owner was an Archdruid, Gustav still wont be able to produce Archdruid units in Rudark because hes a Dreadnought?<br>
    So during the game we can have access to the other races units but not the other classes units (unless some one give thouse unints as a present or a reward)?

hmm, well unless class units are the result of class buildings.

Although it could work like in SM, those class buildings build your own classes stuff.. :/

I don’t think so. Class units depend on leader class, even if you need a special building to make them. So, as a Dreadnought leader, you can build dreadnought units of all races (that you own), but not of other classes. At least, that’s how I understand it works.

Edit: I suppose that when a city changes ownership, and the new owner is from a different class than its predecessor, something similar to when you migrate a city with a racial building in it, happens: If class units need building/s, they either get converted to the new class or demolished to make room for the new ones.

The race doesnt matter at all, each race will have all the class units.

I thought the question was, if you take over an enemy city belonging to a different class, can you build that class’s units.

I think the only way that you would be able to do that, is if those class units become available via a specific class building.

imo it makes little sense to tie them to the normal buildings – like specific dreadnought units coming from a champions guild ?? Thats silly since they are all machines lol

DarkDain

Could you clarify which units are DWARVES and which are dreadnaut ? I liked the warrior dwarves of #2 and i’d be sad if all my dwarven units were either gunners or machines

I think the only way that you would be able to do that, is if those class units become available via a specific class building.

Yes, but that’s what I don’t think will happen because class units are tied to the leader’s class and nothing else. You may need specific buildings to make them (most likely), but I don’t think that means they’ll remain once someone from a different class conquers the city containing them.

Could you clarify which units are DWARVES and which are dreadnaut ? I liked the warrior dwarves of #2 and i’d be sad if all my dwarven units were either gunners or machines

I think they were all dreadnought units buddy, as it was a presentation made to show off that class – not the race.

I think this SS shows off all the basic t1 / t2 units that will be present in all races:

Tomipapa

I dont think you can build class units of another class. In the gdc demo there was a “produce Martyr” research, so this is a Theocrat specific research and its not available to any other leader. Of course higher tier class units need the corresponding buildings(barracks, war hall, workshop ect.), but i doubt there will be a land ship factory city building what trains land ships and if you capture it with a druid then you can train land ships with him. Or more precisely i hope there wont be anything like this because if you can train units of the other classes then i will be really disappointed

Actually, I’m not sure you’ll need a special building to make class units. Going through my Blue Tracker, I found this:

The skills definitely not like in Shadow Magic. To give you an idea: Your class units are unlocked through researching empire skills from your specific class.

Note that class units go beyond high level racial variants.  Some classes rely mostly on summoned monsters, whilst the Dreadnought unlocks or upgrades mechanical units.

Your core military units come from your city’s race and town upgrades, then higher level units unlock from your class by researching empire skills. Then there’s summons and special locations.

Ice Age

Thank you all for the answers.
    I personaly hope that to produce a class unit you’ll need to first research it which will unlock the unit’s special building that you’ll need to built next to produce the unit.
    Also i would preffer that we wont have access to other classes units at all during a game (exept gifts and rewards).

11balanced

JeanLucPicard:

It’s way, way, way too early to make such conclusions. Way…

Of course we can’t state it for sure not having tried ) though I’ve noticed some reasons. But as I’ve already said the balance here is not main issue.

BTW what do you think, is it OK that a cannon (or catapult) is as mobile as infantry? Is it OK when it can quickly retreat and shoot?

I think cannons should:

a) be slow (20 mp, not 24)
    b) shoot from green only

as I’ve already said the balance here is not main issue.
    BTW what do you think, is it OK that a cannon (or catapult) is as mobile as infantry? Is it OK when it can quickly retreat and shoot?
    I think cannons should:
    a) be slow (20 mp, not 24)
    b) shoot from green only

Well, I remember from the video that these are upgraded war machines or high level, so maybe the basic canons don’t have all those abilities. Finally, we don’t know exactly what siege type engine the other classes get, so we can’t conclude on the appropriate “fantasy level” of movement and shooting. Also, I don’t think it is odd for steam-punk weaponry to be self propelling and fast; you can’t have too much realism in a game with magic and dragons who defy the laws of biology (six limbs) and physics (flying when heavy). Self consistency and realism are not the same thing.

Yeah, it is a little weird but I also feel it’s justified by the slow rate of fire and the greater need for good positioning (line aoe damage).

Realism wise, with all the wheels it has, it feels more like a vehicle or, more specifically, self-propelled artillery or a mobile gun rather than the usual field gun that needs to be towed or pushed (like the old AoW/2 canons). It helps me rationalize it. 🙂

greater need for good positioning (line aoe damage).

I dont see any greater need, greater possibility but the damage from a single shot is still devastating – perhaps more devastating than earlier games cannons (though these are t3 or t4 class units so its understandable)

Tomipapa

I remember from the video that these are upgraded war machines or high level

All the cannons and the flame tank have recruit title so i think they are not upgraded or high lvl.

though these are t3 or t4 class units so its understandable

First i thought they are T2 but probably you are right with T3. The Horned God and the Land Ship are abviously T4 and they have 32 gold upkeep(btw nice increase, no more lousy 15 gold upkeep for a T4 good job :)). Musketeers 8 gold, cannon and flame tank 16. I nearly said the upkeep goes like this 8/16/24/32.In this case those machines would be T2 but the xp req for lvl up confused me a little. Musketeer need 20 xp cannon and flame tank 30 Land Ship 40… wait where is T3 then? Land Ship and Horned God surely T4(40xp), but if the cannon is T2 with 30xp then T3 would have the same xp req as T4, not really possible. So i think xp req remained the same as AoW 2/SM(10/20/30/40) and the upkeep goes not as i first thought(8/16/24/32) but like this(4/8/16/32).In this case cannon and flame tank are T3. Still not sure lol

rob_james

Yeah this is awesome!, Got to watch it with my brother who also is a big fan and hes super excited as well.

Are all object destructable in the battle view i remember you could burn down houses in the old ones, and if we hide behind cover could we get something showing we get a deffence bonus like dawn of war or xcom. I think its all brilliant by the way, and super excited to show more friends, I just like adding extra facts to sell the idea of the game to them

Still not sure lol

hehe, could still all change by the time of the next video =P

I don’t know if somebody else have already noticed it, but the musketeers are available in the newly buildt town (the holiday resort :)).

What does it mean?

In that town there was availble miners (obviously the most basic units) and musketeers, and engeneer (tipical special unit of use with neat abilities).

So they all are tier 1 units?

Class units should be higher tier ones… and so musketeers are race units?
    Or we have class units even in low tiers? (That imho would be better to mix class-race units of different strenght than have race=weak units class=strong units).

11balanced

TheEvilGardener:

I’ve already mentioned it here in this thread. We can say for sure that musketeers are 2 tier (see their banner and upkeep) and most likely class-based unit.

The fact they are available in new town (along with engineers, tier 1) derives from alfa version. Normally only miners (racial tier 1 supporting unit) would be available at once AFAIK.

Yeah, i remember the upkeep argument i have read it, so i was a bit confused. Yes, can be becouse of is still alfa version, yet is a bit strange.

All the cannons and the flame tank have recruit title so i think they are not upgraded or high lvl.

I checked, and you’re right, the vehicles were only described as “reinforced” compared to hippie plant people. It’s probably just humorous commentary, but could suggest that dreadnoughts get better cannon and siege engines than other classes, on balance.

And I agree with Picard that we should understand the dreadnought cannon and flame tanks as self propelled: what is more steampunk than somehow magically powered siege engines?

gandrus

It was an amazing video! I liked it very much. Can’t wait to preorder the game. 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.