Gamescom and an artifact from time long past

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Gamescom and an artifact from time long past

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  iHunterKiller 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

jimmy

The yearly Gamescom expo in Cologne (Germany) is in just 13 more days and here at Triumph Studios we are very hard at work creating a brand new Age of
    [See the full post at: Gamescom and an artifact from time long past]

This would make for an epic event or competition prize 😀

Good luck at gamescom guys, bring us home some lovely new shiny screenies. Cant wait for that new video!

Wow, where can I get this game? 😉

Red Key

You did a brilliant job on your first game. (I assume AoW was Triumph Studios’ first game?) I hope you have gotten better at divining release dates. 😀 Best wishes for your Gamescom demo.

b0rsuk

I like the way it looks more than AoW III.

Willyfisch

/sign b0rsuk

pls make aow3 look more like aow1 or aow2
    less gray and stronger colors

Alexan89

Windows 95!!!
    Just look where we were and where we are now.
    I still remember every time i was casting Sacrificial Flame many
    frames were dying, hahahaha!
    Anyway, this looks really great.

I have one question though. What is that creature in the first picture
    right from the features? I don’t think i’ve ever saw it in the games.

Piko LV

@willyfisch: Huh? I think you meant less colors and more grey! 😛

pavel_minaev

Speaking of resolutions (“up to 1600×1280”) – one thing that amazes me about AoW1, to this day, is how remarkably well it keeps working with OS and hardware upgrades. Very few games back in 1999, especially non-3D ones, could boast supporting any resolution that the OS was willing to throw at them. In 1999, I played AoW1 in 800×600; today, I play it in 2540×1440. And also the fact that the game originally written for, what, DirectX 5? still works great on my Win8 machine with DirectX 11 is rather epic. As a programmer myself, I would like to send kudos to all the guys who wrote that code – that’s a very impressive achievement!

Alexan89,

I’m not sure, but I *think* that’s supposed to be a kobold.

Slayermicha

This flyer is cool, looks like the old manual butwith colours^^

Ps.: @ JeanLucPicard
    The Age of Wonders Trilogy Pack can be purchased on Steam for 19,99€ at the moment.

b0rsuk

/sign b0rsuk

pls make aow3 look more like aow1 or aow2<br>

And it’s not even nostalgia on my part. Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the first game in the serries I played. AoW 1 has top of the line 2D graphics. AoW 3 has quite average 3D graphics.

It’s much easier to stylize 2D graphics. You can draw the way you want. 3D graphics are complex, it’s more like sculpting. Really, I hope the trend to make everything 3D blows over. Yes, you don’t have to draw a unit facing each of 8 directions, or draw attack animations frame by frame. But people continue to make amazing drawings, paintings and 2D art in general. Outside computer games, sculptures haven’t replaced all visual art.

SikBok
    Keymaster

@pavel:

I’ll pass the kudos along.
    Some are still around, working on AoW3 : )>

Yeah, it is pretty nice that everything scales so well.
    Getting AoW1 on steam was easier than expected.

Outside computer games, sculptures haven’t replaced all visual art.

Dont forget that 3d models are still represented in 2D, 3d modeling programs only make better looking units.
    Its the same as having a 2d drawing give the effect of 3d and then others use multiple drawings to make it look 3d in animation

i.e.

I think every unit in AoW3 looks better than its AoW1 and 2 counterparts. Not solely because i prefer 3d, but because the transitions for all actions are 100x better.

Also 2d cannot be as complex, you can only fit so much on the screen in 2d, sure you can be an amazing artist with the most amazing skills ever but having characters too detailed will destroy their animations. This is the same for 3d ofc, but you can get away with a lot more as the characters punch out from the background purely for being in 3d and the benefits that brings along.

I think your a dying breed of gamer that prefers 2d. I know a lot of young gamers who also prefer 2d – i dont mean to say its for older games with the nostalgia feeling or anything like that – only that the majority of people prefer big flashy high detailed characters. (i.e. HD 3d games such as Skyrim etc wouldn’t look as good in 2d)

b0rsuk

Good artwork doesn’t go out of style.

Good artwork doesn’t go out of style.

I disagree, especially looking at old 2d games – in this regard i do think AoW is an exception but perhaps we are all biased. I have many friends i have showed the game too and they didnt look at it twice purely based on its aesthetic appeal.

Look at other 2 games, cossacks etc. They look quite out dated and imo outdated = out of style.

But your right in that they might make a come back (already are with the rise of indy developers) tho i doubt they will ever take the no1 GotY spotlight again.

Heroic_Spur

Age of Wonders 1, for me, was one of the best TBS games of all time -far superior to its sequals.

As far as the 2d/3d debate is concerned, I think it’s something of an illusion. People say 2d games look better or have a more pleasing asthetic, while others say 3d games have much better graphical depth and quality.

What I think makes 2d games so endearing today (still) is simply that, if developers can’t invest heavily in graphics, what do they do? They make other aspects of the game better. Lots of 3d games (not all by any stretch), invest so heavily in graphics, that the gameplay or game atmosphere hasn’t actually improved compared to older 2d titles -and those are what define a game.

b0rsuk

Your friends are not an authority for me.

Heroic_Spur, if it’s gameplay that makes AoW 1 so endearing, why does it work on me ? I haven’t played it.

I like good drawings. The technique has been developed over millenia and gives artists many ways to distinguish themselves.

Why do you think concept art is so extremely common at the beginning of production of video games or movies ? Because it’s less restrictive, and you can do anything with it in shorter time. Creativity can go wild and artists can show off. Then they try to make a game/movie look like the concept art. Then they have to make concessions and sacrifices, because 3D has its limitations, your need to reduce polygon count, the light doesn’t look as natural, etc.
    In a way, concept art is the goal. Think about it.

A piece of concept art

Red Key

From what I have seen the 3D graphics in AoW3 look great, definitely above average. IMO the graphics are even better than some of the other recent TBS games out there like FE: Legendary Heroes and Civ5. Well the units and terrain look better than Civ5, but Civ5 has better leader portraits. I still like the 2D graphics in the original AoW games too, but I think the devs are doing a good job with 3D.

Why do you think concept art is so extremely common at the beginning of production of video games or movies ? Because it’s less restrictive, and you can do anything with it in shorter time. Creativity can go wild and artists can show off. Then they try to make a game/movie look like the concept art. Then they have to make concessions and sacrifices, because 3D has its limitations, your need to reduce polygon count, the light doesn’t look as natural, etc.
    In a way, concept art is the goal. Think about it.

You have changed your original topic from 2d is better than 3d to the comparison between two different mediums – art and 3d modelling. 2d games have also never looked like concept art and frankly the closest we have ever come to it is via 3d – and as 3d technology progresses we become closer and closer.

The reason you start off with concept art is due to its simplicity and speed. Then you set off into the longer task of creating that world. You are not drawing on top of frame upon frame, you are creating assets with all the detail in the concept art and more (the angles you do not see in the art)

Do not believe that the 3d models need to be overly complicated in order to include all the detail from the art (that is the purpose of maps)

You are right with your ending sentence, in almost every single way the concept art is the goal however it is not a railroad system in which you go in that direction and it is the only goal. It is the inspiration, the idea, the mash up of the original ideas taken form from which you continue to grow and evolve into the final piece.

BlaneckW

I wasn’t buying it for the graphics, but I always liked the look of AOW2. I would say that AOW3 graphics live up to it’s predecessors (and by that I mean style). I quite like them actually. Though, if they get the money, and wanted to put real art (for the… unit portraits), I’d like that too. Here’s to hoping that the AOW universe continues to expand and develop.

meeber

/sign b0rsuk

pls make aow3 look more like aow1 or aow2<br>

Um lets not. Hey I still play Aow and Aow:SM (I do have AOW2 but there is no point in playing that since you can use AOW:SM to play it’s maps and it does not have that lag issue after turn 100.) AOW 3 Looks a hell of a lot better than previous AOW games
    AOW:SM IMO is the best Fantasy TBS to date especially after all the modifacations my Friends and I have put into it. I have been waiting for years for another game to knock it out of first place but none have even come close. I’m hoping that AOW3 will knock AOW:SM down to second place. And I really hope it does not go the way of Masters of Orion 3 (now pile of crape was a real disappointment.)

And I really hope it does not go the way of Masters of Orion 3 (now pile of crape was a real disappointment.)

Before AoW3 was announced, MoO3 was my most anticipated sequel ever. I played MoO3 to death .. even though it was one of the most flawed games ever lol. Love the Ip so much – shame the devs wont release the code as the modders have done everything they can with it =(

From what weve seen so far though, i dont think AoW3 will follow suit of the other space 4X games – mainly due to their freelance attitude 😀 gota love that hehe

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.