German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

This topic contains 186 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • Author

jimmy

Our press journey in Germany has ended and we completed our quest to visit the biggest, baddest websites and magazines in Munich and Berlin. During ou
    [See the full post at: German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots]

mrXD89

Really nice. I love new screenshots. It would be great to get that video with English subtitles.

TheDio

It’s a shame that i do not know any german or I’d create subtitles for the video myself. I do expect from someone to do it though, the communities detication is far too hardcore to let that pass. These guys made a decent wikipedia article within a few hours xD.

The video and screenshots are amazing, i get the feeling that i’ll be playing this game for a looooong time :p

Ice Age

May i ask if the “Tome of Wonders” is AOW3 equivalent to Civ’s civilopedia?
    I wanted to suggest such a thing but it seems there is no need for that…

And i loved the night screenshot! was this some special map? or we actually can have battles at night? and is there some strategic implications to fighting at night? like enhanced stealth and reduced sight?

TheSpeaker

And i loved the night screenshot! was this some special map? or we actually can have battles at night? and is there some strategic implications to fighting at night? like enhanced stealth and reduced sight?

I’d like to know this too. Looks great!

The Tome of Wonders definitely looks that way. I hadn’t even thought about something like that for Age of Wonders but I’m glad it made it into the game 🙂

An-Dhamun

Nice screens. I hope they’ll make the indication of borders around cities transpararent.

Khan

Firstly, the game looks great, I can’t wait to throw my money at this game when it comes out. The detail on the leaders looks amazing. I do have 2 quick questions / comments.

1. During the 30 minute video he mentions that the mana node will only restore the enemy units who already “own” the node. However, at about 10 minutes her wisps are healed. Was that a glitch, or was he mistaken. This could add another level of strategy as it provides a means to nullify the advantage an owner of the node has.

2. With the auto combat. He mentioned that it only takes into account the number of units on either side and not spell casting. So, (a) Does it give each unit a strength value to better reflect the combat ability of each unit, and (b) if the battle is against another hero (who can cast) does that hero not cast any spells when the combat is done automatically?

Thanks again guys, and keep up the great work!

Regards.

Arnout
    Keymaster

Regarding the Recharging Mana Currents spell, it heals units from all sides as long as they are from magical origin. Perhaps he was referring to the fact that all mana node defenders are of magical origin, and thus usually only the defenders benefit! So indeed, it’s a good tactic to nullify the advantage by bringing your own units of magical origin!

Knight9910

So, question, what constitutes an “of magic origin” unit? Obviously most summons would likely be of magical origin, along with any sort of golems or wisps, but what else? Are undead (or even Archon Revenants) of magical origin, since they’d be created by necromantic magic? Are animal summons for the archdruid of magical origin, or are they considered natural units?

Love the tome. Tomes are all the rage now. 😛 Should definitely help new players.

Just one point about the UI that should’ve been made earlier. Currently you use dashes “-” to show remaining/maximum movement and hitpoints. However dashes are usually used to show “ranges” like a range of 2 to 4 (2-4) damage for example whiles slashes “/” are used for situations where you have X out of Y (X/Y).

Can’t speak for others but I always get confused for a second when looking at movement and hp since the markings I described above are a long time staple of stat systems whether in rpgs or elsewhere. I also noticed you already use a slash for denoting casting points. So this is the suggestion basically:

……………………………….

Goblin sorcerer? 😛

Knight9910

I agree with Captain Picard about using slashes instead of dashes. But also…

<br>
    Goblin sorcerer? :P

I think so, and it’s adorable.

I really love the looks of the human units I’ve seen so far on the screenshots. Especially the knights/cavaliers/heavy cavalry and the longswordsman (maybe “longswordmen” would be the more fitting term?), although that thing they are wielding rather looks like a Bidenhänder. But I guess that’s the general “Big Weapons Effect” of AoW. 🙂

Not sure if this was explained already, in the PC Games vid during one of the city sieges, a couple of mounted units of the defending side dashed out after the archers were killed. These looked also like knights to me but their mounts had no barding(?), no armour. Are these light cavalry or a wholly different unit?

And yes, Tome looks fantastic. Will be a pleasure to delve into it.

Yes, that night screenshot is quite interesting. Maybe it is a rogue skill to be able to fight at night. And maybe their class units have night vision which give them a combat bonus. Just thinking out loud.

I agree with Captain Picard about using slashes instead of dashes.

I also agree.

Arnout
    Keymaster

@jeanlucpicard Yeah the greatest Goblin Sorcerer ever lived* 😉

@knigh9910 Magical Origin is basically a requisite applied to units who look/are magical; like the Wisp, Phantasm Warrior, or Node Serpent. We could argue that undead fit that type, but for gameplay purposes they are another type as they are effected by other spells, abilities and effects. (TBD We could changes this accordingly to balance)

Creatures that summoned are not necessarily of magical origin, like a summoned Boar, but can be effected by spells that effect creatures of magical origin: like the Sorcerer’s Spell Arcane Binding (which binds summoned units or magical origin units to your will) or the Avatar’s Banish Spell (which banishes summoned or magical origin units effectively killing them)

(* I just made that up)

Tomipapa

After you win the siege and capture Logano(17:40) you see under the fog of war the silhouette of a settlement/outpost is being destroyed(?)by some explosion effect. Is it a bug, or these two settlements were connected and because i captured one of them the other is automatically destroyed, or what was that?

Knight9910

After you win the siege and capture Logano(17:40) you see under the fog of war the silhouette of a settlement/outpost is being destroyed(?)by some explosion effect. Is it a bug, or these two settlements were connected and because i captured one of them the other is automatically destroyed, or what was that?

In the other thread they were saying that this is some sort of “mirror cities” thing that that particular map does. When one settlement gets captured its sister settlement is instantly razed. I’m assuming it’s a thing with certain scenarios, not all of them will do it.

Tomipapa

Ah thank you!

And do we know that these sister cities are common or only 1-2 are placed in a normal scenario or only this map has them?

TheSpeaker

Ah thank you!

And do we know that these sister cities are common or only 1-2 are placed in a normal scenario or only this map has them?

From what I was told, it was specific to that map, which I understand was likely part of the campaign.

Tomipapa

From what I was told, it was specific to that map, which I understand was part of the campaign.

Thanks again!
    And can you give me the link because i don’t find where they said it 🙂

TheSpeaker

Thanks again!
    And can you give me the link because i don’t find where they said it :)

No problem! It’s here, not long after your mention of the Eldritch Horror:

http://www.ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/new-vids-on-youtube-this-am/page/2/

That part specifically was translated by Fogcrow. I jumped to the campaign conclusion on my own it seems 🙂 But I’ll ask a German friend of mine to tell me what it says more specifically and to see if she comes up with anything new.

Knight9910

@knigh9910 Magical Origin is basically a requisite applied to units who look/are magical; like the Wisp, Phantasm Warrior, or Node Serpent. We could argue that undead fit that type, but for gameplay purposes they are another type as they are effected by other spells, abilities and effects. (TBD We could changes this accordingly to balance)

Creatures that summoned are not necessarily of magical origin, like a summoned Boar, but can be effected by spells that effect creatures of magical origin: like the Sorcerer’s Spell Arcane Binding (which binds summoned units or magical origin units to your will) or the Avatar’s Banish Spell (which banishes summoned or magical origin units effectively killing them)

Somehow I missed this first time around. Thanks for the reply, it’s very enlightening, and that definitely makes sense.

So I’m guessing that for something like a summoned Boar, if the effect hits “Summoned and Magic Origin” units both, it would affect the Boar, but if it was only against “Magic Origin” units then it would not affect it, then.

It seems like most of the classes have situational abilities, like Theocrats have good things against undead, Sorcerers can trounce Magic Origin units with ease, etc. I like that every class has some situational stuff, and a lot of non-situational. That was one thing I always hated about AoW:SM was how certain magic spheres were super situational and others weren’t, like how Life sphere was pretty much just mediocre unless you were fighting evil, when it was really good, but earth magic on the other hand was pretty much always awesome no matter what you were fighting.

Draxynnic

I really love the looks of the human units I’ve seen so far on the screenshots. Especially the knights/cavaliers/heavy cavalry and the longswordsman (maybe “longswordmen” would be the more fitting term?), although that thing they are wielding rather looks like a Bidenhänder. But I guess that’s the general “Big Weapons Effect” of AoW. :)

Historically speaking, “longsword” generally did refer to something designed to be wielded with both hands like those shown in the screenshots – use of the term to refer to a 1-handed blade designed more for slashing than thrusting is pretty much a D&Dism.

vfxrob

The game is really looking polished, im a big fan of the environments and the lighting.

Also really liking the interfaced, and selection/grids etc, top stuff!

Ice Age

OK so i have an important question, by playing a certain class you get the special skills of that class, and the devs already meantioned that there arent any skill trading so you wont get theocrat spells with your dreadnought etc, BUT at approximetly 14:40 in the demo video the hero “Sundren” which is a rogue, uses a rough special spell while the leader is a wizard!
    The hero is a rogue and its logical that she will be able to use rogue spells, and i presume this spell, she had already in the spellbook when she was recruited, but can she use other highr level rogue spells? and if she douse, how can she aquire them? they cant be researched since the leader is a wizard! and if there is a way to aquire other rogue skills for her, wont it disturb the class balance? being able to use rogue skills with a wizard leader? after all that is why the devs forbided skill trading in the first place!
    Or in the other hand, she got only that rogue spell that she had by default and all other spells she will learn has nothing to do with the rogue class?

I’ll be glad to hear your thoughts about it guys.

meeber

I don’t know about you guys but I can’t wait for this game. That Demo showed more of the game than any previous ones to date (at least the ones I have seen.) I have a feeling that I will be logging many hours in the game.

meeber

Capt. Jean Luc Picard is correct, the / look better than the –

The hero is a rogue and its logical that she will be able to use rogue spells, and i presume this spell, she had already in the spellbook when she was recruited, but can she use other highr level rogue spells? and if she douse, how can she aquire them?

Assuming the hero does acquire additional “hero class spells” it’s probably via level up.

Ice Age

Assuming the hero does acquire additional “hero class spells” it’s probably via level up.

I thought so too, but it still presents several issues, like:

1. I belive both the heroes and the leaders behave the same, so if your hero can aquire spells through level up can your leader do the same?
    2. If “1” is true, can your hero aquire through level up class skills that you havent researched yet? (since aquiring skills through level up dosent seem to require research, otherwise you wont be able to aquire additionl rogue skills for a rogue hero with a wizard leader!)
    3. If “1” is not true and there is a diffrence between a hero and a leader level up, then what about same class heroes? i mean can a rogue hero serving a rogue leader aquire rogue skills through level up that you havent researched yet?

csf

I really hope the music is similar to the original Age of Wonders, the music was absolutely perfect. It would be awesome if there was an option to use music from past games.

meeber

I really hope the music is similar to the original Age of Wonders, the music was absolutely perfect. It would be awesome if there was an option to use music from past games.

I bet it will or be a combo of both AOW, AOW:SM and maybe more. Personally I don’t care since I turn off the music in all games I play except for Star War games anyway.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.