German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

This topic contains 186 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Knight9910

I usually turn off the background music so I can watch TV, talk to people on XBox Live chat, listen to music I actually like, etc. at the same time I play games, so yeah.

No offense to video game music composers.

You can get a taste of music here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaC76ZM42hE

There’ll be a lot of redone AoW1 tunes.

Arnout
    Keymaster

Regarding the acquisition of Spells.

Leaders gain spells through Research only. Heroes can acquire spells through experience. Spells are never shared. The main advantage is that a Leader can have unique heroes that all retain their own unique class spells!

This difference between level-up of leaders and heroes is basically Leaders having a slight advantage as they don’t have to spend their experience points on spells and can focus on personal upgrades, stat upgrades or stack upgrade skills exclusively.

11balanced

Heroes can acquire spells through experience. Spells are never shared. The main advantage is that a Leader can have unique heroes that all retain their own unique class spells!

That’s a really good decision! 🙂 Still the Hero progress is:
    – one of the least clear aspects of AoW-3
    – one of the least developed aspects of AoW-1 and 2 (IMHO there is much space for improvement)

So the Arnout’s information is very promising, and I hope in AoW-3 we’ll have a true diversity of Hero careers where both class and race will play an important role.

@Draxxynic:
    “Historically speaking, “longsword” generally did refer to something designed to be wielded with both hands like those shown in the screenshots – use of the term to refer to a 1-handed blade designed more for slashing than thrusting is pretty much a D&Dism.”

Yeah, you are absolutely right.
    Guess that’s what you get from “learning” about medieval weaponry and warfare from RPGs and video games 😀
    Still, from the size of these things, they rather look like a Bidenhänder/Zweihänder.
    Have to say, it’s extremely interesting even only to read around wikipedia a bit about this stuff, long sword, zweihänder.
    Didn’t know soldiers/”Landsknechte” carrying the Zweihänder received often double income or were sentenced criminals who could earn their freedom by fighting in that unit “der verlorene Haufe”/”verloren hoop” because the zweihänder troop units was to fight at the most prominent and dangerous places on the battlefield.

Narvek
    Keymaster

About the map with the mirror cities: it is not part of the campaign.
    Wouldn’t want to spoiler the campaign now would we? 😉

And the dashes for health and movepoints, yeah, it’s on a list here somewhere ^^

TheSpeaker

About the map with the mirror cities: it is not part of the campaign.<br>
    Wouldn’t want to spoiler the campaign now would we? ;)

And the dashes for health and movepoints, yeah, it’s on a list here somewhere ^^

Aha! Curiouser and curiouser.
    I don’t suppose you’re any closer to giving us that much coveted release date by any chance? Or another Class page maybe? 🙂

Highly likely only a placeholder and/or a moving target but one can preorder AoW3 at Amazon Germany. Release date given there is March 18.

SikBok
    Keymaster

@jeanlucpicard:

Just one point about the UI that should’ve been made earlier. Currently you use dashes “-” to show remaining/maximum movement and hitpoints. However dashes are usually used to show “ranges” like a range of 2 to 4 (2-4) damage for example whiles slashes “/” are used for situations where you have X out of Y (X/Y).

Fixed : )>

Also, thanks for the positive feedback on the demo people.

Knight9910

Didn’t know soldiers/”Landsknechte” carrying the Zweihänder received often double income or were sentenced criminals who could earn their freedom by fighting in that unit “der verlorene Haufe”/”verloren hoop” because the zweihänder troop units was to fight at the most prominent and dangerous places on the battlefield.

Right. A popular strategy in medieval warfare was to have a stong defensive line armed with pikes, spears, or other pole-arms to impale enemy cavalry. One common use of the zweihander was to close in first and destroy those pole-arms (hence the large size of the weapon, which allowed the wielder to strike at the enemy’s weapon without getting into its range) allowing the cavalry to move in. Needless to say that was a very dangerous job.

I actually learned about that from a medieval weapons expert when I was on vacation in Germany several years back.

People should definitely not just believe everything they read in a DnD manual or some other fantasy RPG. The worst misnomer I think I’ve ever seen in a fantasy game (and a sadly common one) is the use of the term “flamberge” to refer to two-handed swords in general, as opposed to what it really is: a type of wavy blade design which can be used on any sort of sword-type weapon. (Well, most any sort. A flamberge épée, for example, wouldn’t really work.)

TheSpeaker

Highly likely only a placeholder and/or a moving target but one can preorder AoW3 at Amazon Germany. Release date given there is March 18.

Just saw it. While I generally prefer dev confirmation, it is something at least. Knew it would be roundabout March but I’m glad it’s still Q1, even if it is a place holder.

I initially had a small heart attack at the price, and then I remembered that Amazon is expensive.

Knight9910

I initially had a small heart attack at the price, and then I remembered that Amazon is expensive.

€39.99 ($53.53 US) isn’t all that expensive, though a bit more than I expected to be sure.

TheSpeaker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheSpeaker wrote:</div>

€39.99 ($53.53 US) isn’t all that expensive, though a bit more than I expected to be sure.

I dunno, maybe it’s because I live in South Africa and gaming seems to be a lot cheaper here, but take a look at their price for new Age of Wonders, AoW2 and Shadow Magic, them compare them to the prices at Good Old Games. I didn’t even get Age of Wonders 2 for the price they’re selling it for, and I got it when it came out. Which makes me think that Amazon Germany (or indeed Amazon in general) is somewhat pricier than most.

Though I’m sure currency and location both make a big difference as well.

AwesomeLion

When do we get English press tour? =p

I’m just saying.. ^^

Also, weren’t we suppose to get more class updates? *hint hint*

mrXD89

When do we get English press tour? =p

I’m just saying.. ^^

Also, weren’t we suppose to get more class updates? *hint hint*

I think Poland is near to German so maybe…

And I can’t wait for class update too.

Draxynnic

People should definitely not just believe everything they read in a DnD manual or some other fantasy RPG. The worst misnomer I think I’ve ever seen in a fantasy game (and a sadly common one) is the use of the term “flamberge” to refer to two-handed swords in general, as opposed to what it really is: a type of wavy blade design which can be used on any sort of sword-type weapon. (Well, most any sort. A flamberge épée, for example, wouldn’t really work.)

I now want to see someone fencing with a flame-pattern epee, if only to see the opponent’s response. 😛

To be fair to this usage, though, flame-pattern blades were more common on two-handers – partially because the wavy shape was believed to help in cutting through pikes as you mentioned above (although the actual efficacy of this is in doubt) and partially because at the time that blade type became popular, the classical arming sword* had largely gone out of fashion in favour of rapiers, two-handers, and shorter slashing swords intended for use when the press of battle becomes too tight for longer weapons. As you say, though, the term refers to the blade shape and not the weight, and calling a straight-edged blade a “flamberge” is clearly a misnomer.

ignatius

Great videos!

I specially liked the wisp vs. wisp combat, it was a whirlwind of two swarms, and it was impossible to distinguish the side (as should be).

But i dislike the animation of the heros with the ranged attacks (16 min):
    1. They stood
    2. They move to “ranged attack position”
    3. Launch the attack
    4. the come back to the first position and repeat.

Couldn´t they make all their ranged attacks from the ranged attack position?

Also when i seen the mosquito darts icon i thought it was the throw spear skill, i think it could be more identificable.

And the draconian have too human faces.

On the other hand. Have you seen the girl´s cheeks at the beginnign and at the end of the video?
    Sikbok you´re such a Casanova!

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

Note prices will vary per territory.

For a lot of games and other products the dollar amount same amount in Euro (so $40/€40) This is due to higher EU VAT + localization and distribution costs are higher in the fragmented EU market.

TheSpeaker

Note prices will vary per territory.

For a lot of games and other products the dollar amount same amount in Euro (so $40/€40) This is due to higher EU VAT + localization and distribution costs are higher in the fragmented EU market.

That I could definitely deal with. $40 is the rough equivalent of R400 (400 Rand), and like Knight9910 said, it’s a bit more than I was expecting, but still very much worth it, if that does end up being the price 🙂

40$ is about what I expected. It’s not a 60$ mainstream AAA game but it’s not a small low production project either so it falls in between.

Lennart you need an avatar, seriously. 😛

Red Key

40$ is about what I expected. It’s not a 60$ mainstream AAA game but it’s not a small low production project either so it falls in between.
    Lennart you need an avatar, seriously.

+1 -> $40 is exactly what I expected.

TheSpeaker

Lennart you need an avatar, seriously. :P

It’s true. Even the other devs have them now 🙂

Also, for anyone who is interested and doesn’t check it much, this was on the Triumph studios twitter account – http://www.pcgames.de/Age-of-Wonders-3-PC-256884/News/Age-of-Wonders-3-Lets-Play-und-Entwickler-Interview-im-Exklusiv-Video-1096498/

It’s basically the written review of the videos and screenshots we’ve been given on this thread. It also mentions the 18th March release date a grand total of about 5 times, further supporting the date we saw on Amazon Germany.

So yeah, we now have a rough price and a release date.

Tomipapa

About the map with the mirror cities: it is not part of the campaign.

Can you say a little bit more about these mirror cities? What are the requiments for cities to act as mirror cities? Are they common in a normal map?Can you rebuild them normally if they are destroyed? ect. I advertise AoW 3 in a few sites, and answer questions if someone have one, and most of the time i can answer these questions but this mirror city thing caught me 😀

About the price: It’s lower than i expected(i thought it will be 50 dollar). Note that for new releases, boxed copies are cheaper most of the time, so the steam or gog price will be probably higher than 40$.

Kane

WHAT…..!!!!………40 $……YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! :o_O

Knight9910

WHAT…..!!!!………40 $……YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! :o _O

In a good way or a bad way?

Kane

^everybody loves best games in cheaper prices 😉

Boozha

Where is the damn demo? I swear I’m going nuts waiting -_- This is the only game I have ever really anticipated, and it doesn’t have a demo! Give me one, dammit, and I don’t even care how it looks or how often it crashes 🙁

Historically speaking, “longsword” generally did refer to something designed to be wielded with both hands like those shown in the screenshots – use of the term to refer to a 1-handed blade designed more for slashing than thrusting is pretty much a D&Dism.

Well, super historically, it was originally used to refer to a style of fighting, rather than the the length of the blade. You could fight “long-sword style” with the two handed grip, or short sword with the same weapon, when you placed one hand on part of the blade (also known as half sword).

It was only later, in the High Renaissance, when larger swords were widely popularized that the term started (non-exclusively, as medieval writers would never standardize terminology when they could make it confusing for later scholars) to apply to types of weapons like the Claymore or Zweihänder.

A classic example of a typed longsword is the one that (must have, or something like it) inspired the movie Anduril, a mid to late 15th century German Oakeshott type XVIIIb from the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum in Munich (you can see it at http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spotxviii.html).

So you are both right!!!

Right. A popular strategy in medieval warfare was to have a stong defensive line armed with pikes, spears, or other pole-arms to impale enemy cavalry. One common use of the zweihander was to close in first and destroy those pole-arms (hence the large size of the weapon, which allowed the wielder to strike at the enemy’s weapon without getting into its range) allowing the cavalry to move in. Needless to say that was a very dangerous job.

I have to concur with Draxynnic here, as that usage is only directly attested in a few myths and some later, perhaps fanciful, drawings. A more common theory is that they could be used to knock aside the pikes, as that was very hard to do otherwise. Cf Plutarch, The Life of Aemilius, 20.

The Zweihander is described as a “standard defense weapon”, that a person would use to keep multiple attackers away from the prestigious prize.

The only specific mention from such sources of pikes actually breaking that I know of was in the Tactica of Emperor Leo VI. that text refers to the Cataphracts actually snapping spears by the force of their weight and charge, unless specifically reinforced, heavy spears called Menaulion were used. I can’t give specific cites, as my copy of Sowing the Dragons Teeth (a modern compilation of this and some other military treatises) is at my brothers.

Knight9910

While breaking a pike and rendering it permanently useless would be preferable, knocking it aside or away would be good too. The zweihander was a cool weapon, though, and used for much more than just dealing with pikes as you said. It had multiple grips, can be held by the bottom grip for extra reach, then in close combat the user could shift their grip up to shorten it and get better control over their swings. It was a very versatile weapon.

Compare that to Dungeons & Dragons, where the only real use for a greatsword/zweihander is just to wield it with 2 hands so you can get extra Power Attack damage.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.