German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions German press tour finished, new footage and screenshots

This topic contains 186 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 187 total)
  • Author

Draxynnic

Also true, but the distinction between long-sword style and half-sword style only really makes sense for larger blades that were intended to be wielded with two hands in the first place. The D&D longsword, and therefor what many gamers today think of as the “longsword” if they haven’t done the research, by contrast, is the traditional one-handed, straight-edged knight’s sword that was popular during the Middle Ages before widespread adoption of plate, normally wielded in combination with a shield.

The overall point of the discussion is that the human longswordmen here are historically accurate rather than using the D&D usage.

Knight9910

Right. DnD is not big on historical accuracy.

The zweihander was a cool weapon, though, and used for much more than dealing with pikes as you said. It had multiple grips, can be held by the bottom grip for extra reach, then in close combat the user could shift their grip up to shorten it and get better control over their swings. It was a very versatile weapon.

No one is denying that it was a useful, or perhaps more importantly for a fantasy game, very pretty and stylish weapon. It seems to have allowed particularly tall and strong soldiers to, as I said, defend standards or breaches in walls/gates, like at the siege of Rhodes in 1522. It could also be used as an impromptu short spear to stab at horsemen or people in dense array when the space for full open use wasn’t available.

The Flamberge style when combined with a two handed sword is particularly aesthetically pleasing, and as it means flame blade, how can you go wrong?

Also true, but the distinction between long-sword style and half-sword style only really makes sense for larger blades that were intended to be wielded with two hands in the first place. The D&D longsword, and therefor what many gamers today think of as the “longsword” if they haven’t done the research, by contrast, is the traditional one-handed, straight-edged knight’s sword that was popular during the Middle Ages before widespread adoption of plate, normally wielded in combination with a shield.

I wouldn’t quite say that, the Arming sword is capable of both one and two handed usage, although it was traditionally used with a shield until the use of plate, as you say. There are several sub-types, the Oakeshott type XIII(a), for instance, that is clearly dual one and two use, as well as with shield. The Alphonso Psalter has a particularly fantasy friendly picture of a knight killing a giant with such a weapon (and a shield on his back). http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/illmanus/other/largeimage74290.html

Frankly, I think that if you asked the unwashed masses what a longsword was, they’d think of this, and be somewhat correct (for a change). my subjective impression of games is that they tend to over, rather than under, estimate appropriate sword length.

The term “longsword” is perfectly historically accurate like for the humans, but could also be applied to the shield bearing Elf swordsmen without violating any historical rules or usage.

NuMetal

This dev journal makes me so happy! :’)
    There is so much I want to comment on, so many new and beautiful things…

First of all I want to say that I am German and therefore I might translate what the girl says if I get the time to do so (and if no one else has already done so)

But for now I just want to mention two things:
    – The character creation/customization looks awesome!!! (Especially since you are also creating/changing your portrait as well…)
    – When the girl is fighting the magical units at the mana node at two points the spectral warriors walk through rocks. Is this a bug or is that one of their abilities? If it is an ability, I’d add a little effect while they walk through something, otherwise it looks a little strange. They could for example emit some small spectral sparks or something like that.

I hope I’ll find the time to comment on this dev journal properly and to translate the videos soon 🙂

Knight9910

I noticed the phantasm warriors walking through the rocks too. It got me thinking about the other dev journal where they showed something about them, so I went and I found this.

Phantasm

Listed under their traits is “Pass Wall”, so yeah, it looks like walking through solid objects is indeed one of that unit’s abilities. I also agree, they should probably do something when they do so – emit some sparks, or turn briefly transparent or something.

TheSpeaker

I also noticed when casting that global spell that Laryssa didn’t really do anything. I thought it was unusual that a leader (especially a Sorcerer) would have no casting animation for something like lightning storm. Even if she just pointed her staff forward in kind of an acknowledgement that she was actually casting a global spell that used up a lot of energy and was a fair distance away. I’m pretty sure I remember AoW2 and SM wizards at least raising their hands or something, or was that just for summoning?

It brings to mind Saruman standing atop his tower calling lightning to strike the mountain above the fellowship. He was quite a bit more animated.
    Not the end of the world though. She still seems pretty badass. Reminds me of Karissa. I think it’s the name similarity and fiery red hair.

Who knows, with the way Karissa dressed I wouldn’t be surprised if she had a few descendants here and there.

Stryges

Great image on the Phantasmal Warriors. I assume this is a nice shout out to MoM.

Gamling

First of all, the artwork looks great and i am pretty sure that AoW3 will be my new favorite game. But I must say the many of the combat animations looks poor compared to Civ 5 which should be on the same lvl. In Civ the melee unit seams to hit the other melee units and die when hit. The humanoids in this video were hitting the air and falling like someone was blowing them down.

But i did like the wisps fighting each other that looked awesome. Please give the combat animations more time. It´s good that they are pretty fast since for intance in Civ 5 its very annoying when the game ocantionaly freezes up when the archers are shooting.

vfxrob

@gamling

And do you trust your king Gamling…?

melkathi

Love that draconian hatchlings can evolve into higher tier units 🙂

Only problem with the video is that now I want to play the game so much more.

Draxynnic

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Draxynnic wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t quite say that, the Arming sword is capable of both one and two handed usage, although it was traditionally used with a shield until the use of plate, as you say. There are several sub-types, the Oakeshott type XIII(a), for instance, that is clearly dual one and two use, as well as with shield. The Alphonso Psalter has a particularly fantasy friendly picture of a knight killing a giant with such a weapon (and a shield on his back). http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/illmanus/other/largeimage74290.html

Frankly, I think that if you asked the unwashed masses what a longsword was, they’d think of this, and be somewhat correct (for a change). my subjective impression of games is that they tend to over, rather than under, estimate appropriate sword length.

The term “longsword” is perfectly historically accurate like for the humans, but could also be applied to the shield bearing Elf swordsmen without violating any historical rules or usage.

I’d say no, actually.

Yes, the arming sword could be used two-handed – but that generally wasn’t its intended purpose (mind you, there were probably a few generations of swords that were traditional, and the bastard swords, or ‘hand and a half’ swords, were definitely intended for both). You could wield an arming sword in longsword style, but you’d be using it in a way that it wasn’t intended (in fact, it varied by sword whether the hilt actually had space to do this or not).

Either way, though, if you’re using it with a shield, neither application of the term applies. It’s not a longsword in the technical designation of a longsword being a longer blade intended for two-handed use (keep in mind that ‘arming sword’ is a fairly modern style – the two-handeds were essentially called ‘longswords’ because they were swords that were longer than the default), and it’s not being used in the longsword style (ie, a two-handed grip with both hands on the hilt).

Yinello

I was so happy with seeing the character customization. Wasn’t expecting that! I also really like how things look like right now. I hope this game gets a good tutorial so that I won’t be horrible confused with all the new options in this game. It’s definitely more varied than AOW:SM. Also the description with each unit is just win.

Knight9910

Yinello, I seem to recall the developers saying that there would be one or more tutorial scenarios, as well as some sort of “new leader to-do checklist” to help familiarize new players with the game’s workings.

Not sure if it’s been posted already:
    Link to the preview feature in one of the German online gaming sites TS visited during their trip in Germany.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/preview/age-of-wonders-3

No new information in the text but some nice screenshots I hadn’t seen before.

TheSpeaker

Thanks StupendousMan, definitely haven’t seen those before.

Most fascinating for me is seeing the Leader Selection.
    Look, it’s Queen Julia 🙂

Knight9910

Nice find. I was going to post a Google Translate version of that page, incidentally, but honestly GTranslate’s retarded word salad will probably be even more incomprehensible to English speakers then the original German is.

I did notice from the pictures that Julia (from the House of Inioch) is apparently an Arch Druid in this game, and her specializations are Air and Earth, which is a little weird considering she was Life and Water in Shadow Magic.

Knight9910

Oh, from that same site: even MORE screenshots that I didn’t notice the first time around.

Some interesting things…

Different leader/hero mounts. We see a non-Draconian riding a Raptor, as well as a unit riding a Hellhound. Really cool.

Nothing that special here, but I have to say that dragon swimming in the lava is so damn cool.

Looks like some sort of undead citadel up here. Maybe a Monster Dwelling we haven’t seen before?

Again, just struck by how amazing this looks. I really love the look of that campsite on the ice, the way it’s sort of set into the woodline with the sheep milling about in front.

We’ve seen this before, but I just love how the city battles look. In Shadow Magic the battle was over the whole city, and it made them way too small. The city battles in this game are actually appropriately epic and the city in the back looks enormous!

Seriously, this scenery is just so damn beautiful.

NuMetal

@Knight9910:

The patch of screenshots you are talking about has actually been out for quite a while (I think they were shown in a dev journal a few months back)
    😉

Khan

I also agree that using / instead of a – would make it much more intuitive when trying to see the remainder of some whole. e.g. hp, mana, movement points etc.

Yeah, those are old Knight. But they are great. 🙂

11balanced

http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersglobal.de/files/redaktion/Preview/ageofwondersArray/_aowArray_map_rausgezoomtArray.png

It seems that settlements now have more gradations, if the domain size indicates on it. Outpost-Village-Town-City-Megalopolis? (draconian city in the middle of the map)

And what have happened to the alignment (if it is alignment) sign left to the leader portrait? In the video (turn 2) there was Yin-Yang, now (turn 6) it evolved to something like, I don’t know, a sunset?

Either way, though, if you’re using it with a shield, neither application of the term applies. It’s not a longsword in the technical designation of a longsword being a longer blade intended for two-handed use (keep in mind that ‘arming sword’ is a fairly modern style – the two-handeds were essentially called ‘longswords’ because they were swords that were longer than the default), and it’s not being used in the longsword style (ie, a two-handed grip with both hands on the hilt).

I use “arming sword” merely for specificity because of the frustrating vagueness of the medieval manuscripts.

At least from the picture, I think that the elf’s sword was pretty large, like it could have a blade about 3 feet long or so, that would put it in the dual use typed sword called a longsword in the later 16th century, while the humans have what look like Zweihanders, that were also called long swords at the same time.

It should also be noted that swords designed primarily for the longsword grip and with a long blade were also used with one hand, such as when paired with large shields.

There is a fine example on plate 128 of Hans Talhoffer’s Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Sword fighting and Close-Quarter Combat. I don’t know how to upload pdfs that aren’t from websites, if there is a way, I’d be happy to do so.

Ice Age

So i watched this video agein with some of the comments about it in mind…

In Civ the melee unit seams to hit the other melee units and die when hit. The humanoids in this video were hitting the air and falling like someone was blowing them down.

I do agree with this particular point, in Civ V the malee combat actually looked like a fight between the 2 units, i would like more or less the same here. One other point that bugged me was the longswordsman’s attack on the wisps, they run to it and that was it, it just showed up the damage, there were no fighting animations in that move. (ive scrolled back several times to verify this!)
    Any way i think that most of the combat animations are good, (Wisps and Phantasm warriors especially) but i do think that malee animations need some more work and improvment.

In the siege combat i’ve noticed that both the hero and the leader had their own casting points (10 for each) which showed in the top of the right page of the spell book, which means that in this fight they were restricted to casting a single spell for the entire combat. I’ve also noticed that when the hero cast her spell the casting points warent depleated from the global pool, (though mana did) and when the leader casted her fireball the casting points were depleated from the global pool! so, was that on purpose? or just a bug?

And one last thing, is this the final mouse cursor? couse he looks exactly like the windows one, and i dont like it, i would have prefered more uniqe/fantasy one…

melkathi

when the leader casted her fireball the casting points were depleated from the global pool! so, was that on purpose? or just a bug?

That was on purpose. It seems the global pool is the leader’s pool. When she casts the lightning storm on the city, he actually tells her to save some casting points to use during the fight.

Ice Age

That was on purpose. It seems the global pool is the leader’s pool. When she casts the lightning storm on the city, he actually tells her to save some casting points to use during the fight.

Thanks for the answer, but i know that, the question was about the other hero, why did her casting points werent depleated from the global pool? it seems that indeed the global pool is strictly the leaders pool, but then why the leader in the combat had only 10 casting points and not all the 60 points left in the global pool?

It seem strange to me that if the global casting point pool is the leader’s pool that it wont show it in her spell book when she is casting spells during combat!

And if the global pool isnt the leaders pool but its global to all casters, then why the hero had her own casting points pool which didnt depleated the casting points from the global pool?

Ice Age

I think that the seperation between the leaders two casting points pools (one global and one the leaders during combat) was done balancing wise, that is, making the leader during combat act exactly like a regular hero.

Thing is i find it very strange that the leader can cast a “global” spell (from the star icon in the right bottom UI) every turn as long as she have casting points, but has a much more restricted casting abilities as a “Hero” in the TC! (although the casting points depleats the global pool) I mean, its the same person! if she can cast globaly she should cast as a “Hero” in the TC with the same efficiency!

Red Key

I’ve also noticed that when the hero cast her spell the casting points warent depleated from the global pool, (though mana did) and when the leader casted her fireball the casting points were depleated from the global pool! so, was that on purpose? or just a bug?

Have you played the past games? You are acting like this is new but heroes’ casting points were always separate from the leader’s IIRC.

Ice Age

Have you played the past games? You are acting like this is new but heroes’ casting points were always separate from the leader’s IIRC.

As ive said on several occasions befor, im new to AoW series, though im a litle familiar with AoW1.

phillon

Man, every time I see screenshots or hear about AoW3, I just get more and more excited. It really seems to me as if Triumph is giving AoW3 the loving care and attention it deserves. I especially love what seems to be a “Civilopedia” type feature built into the game, allowing you to quickly reference abilities, units, etc. in the game with a beautiful interface. Also, that night combat screenshot is awesome. Overall, very impressed! Can’t wait to get this! Thanks for this Triumph.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.