Greetings! I have some questions.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Greetings! I have some questions.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dream0n

Hello people,
    My name is Dreamon, I have met AoW 3 two weeks ago (Where have you been…) And i really love it. I am a 4x fan. And also i played soooo much HoMaM 3 years ago. This game combined two of my favoritte genres in one game. Oh god its great. I easly learn the basics and i enjoy playing. I can beat Lord difficulty with ease, havent tried king yet.
    The community is great. And i have some questions that i cant find out myself.

-How can i train tier III or IV units. I almost built all the city upgrades but all i can train is some tier III units?
    -At mid and late game do i use all high tier units, or mix of all unit types within all tiers?
    -I saw that AI roams two heroes together with full stacks. I generally use my heroes seperated. Which one is more efficient?

Thats it for now i guess.

Thariorn

How can i train tier III or IV units. I almost built all the city upgrades but all i can train is some tier III units?

At base all Races only get a single T-III unit and no T-IVunit.
    You can however unlock multiple T-III and a single T-IV unit via your Class. Either trainable in cities or for you to summon.

At mid and late game do i use all high tier units, or mix of all unit types within all tiers?

You can go only T3/T4, but doing so costs a lot of ressources and, usually, time.
    For example, a Human Manticore Rider costs 260 G/60 M (320 Ressources). For the same amount of ressources, you can build a full 6-stack of Human T1 units.
    Given you’re no complete dolt, that full stack of T1s should be more efficient than that single T4.

If neither ressources nor time is a factor, then yes, the higher the Tier the better when all you need is brawn.

I saw that AI roams two heroes together with full stacks. I generally use my heroes seperated. Which one is more efficient?

It depends on how you build your heroes.
    You can either train a hero to be a personal killing machine or to lead a stack with usefull buffs.
    If you give most of your heroes some stack-buffs, then seperating them is more usefull, as only 1 hero is gonna apply his buffs to the stack he’s in.
    If you give most of your heroes upgrades for to their HP/DEF/RES/DMG/personal buffs, then pooling them into a single stack can be beneficial, as heroes are the best unit-type, once they level up often enough, easily outranking T4s.
    (But of course, this takes time and depends on the max posssible level your heroes may reach in a map, which is determined by its settings)

Zuendhoelzli

Hey Dream0n,

welcome to Aow.. also one of my favorite games!

To your questions:

-How can i train tier III or IV units. I almost built all the city upgrades but all i can train is some tier III units?

see wiki for prerequisations.. e.g. draconians flyer needs “Peak of the Forefathers” -> or just go for the Buildingoverview, where you see which building unlocks which class

-> Some classes cannot produce tier IV units (e.g. Rogue)

-At mid and late game do i use all high tier units, or mix of all unit types within all tiers?

Matter of taste.. usually its an optimization of production and enemys.. doesnt make e.g. much sense to make flametank (tier 3) if you will face mainly draconians. .. or if you need 3 turns for a tier III and 1turn of tier II -> go for tier 2.

In singleplayer this doesnt matter that much, and you have usually the time to go for some tier IV/III and mix them with good II units or.. if you are already engame you can sometimes produce III in one turn then go for them extept it makes no sense for your current oponent.

and lastly, there’s also the hurry production option. which allows you to produce in 1turn for the cost of a little extra money and some happyness modifier.. also worth to consider.

in end what wins the fights are:
    – number of units
    – tactics
    – enemy you face
    – your skill

-I saw that AI roams two heroes together with full stacks. I generally use my heroes seperated. Which one is more efficient?

i would also go for seperated stacks. exept if you maybe want to profit from ressuregtion aura of lvl 12 theocrat hero.

In general, there are some good guides to read: eg.

Advanced Guide/Tips: oder

Very Advanced Tips:

Wiki with general informations:
    Very good database:

Zuendhoelzli

Dream0n

Thank you for tips and your kind answers. After 60+ hours i kind of got a grasp of the game. And here some advanced questions.

-What effects the race governence to rise up.
    -When i try to unification victory and lit the beacon, hordes and hordes of independent armies try to raze my city. So how can i defend.
    -I play at lord difficulty, i can easily beat that difficulty i tried a few times king but i couldnt make it. The thing is, i conquer half of the map, and manage to defeat one or to AIs. But the last AI generally so powerful. How do i prevent that.
    -Is it possible peacefully win the game.

Thanks.

Gloweye

-What effects the race governence to rise up.

How many cities you have of that race and how big they are. Also, racial relations give a multiplier.

-When i try to unification victory and lit the beacon, hordes and hordes of independent armies try to raze my city. So how can i defend.

2 or 3 stacks in the city. Magic.

-I play at lord difficulty, i can easily beat that difficulty i tried a few times king but i couldnt make it. The thing is, i conquer half of the map, and manage to defeat one or to AIs. But the last AI generally so powerful. How do i prevent that.

Well, both of you having half the map, you should be as strong as the AI is. You can avoid his armies and try to sneak some city captures in, or amass your forces at one place and try to steamroll your way in.

Probably, you’re also waiting a bit to long with conquering. But that’s play style dependent.

No.

Motasa

Unifier c.q. Unity Beacon Victory (victory condition introduced with Eternal Lords expansion) is the peaceful (less-warlike) way to winning a game.

A Seal Victory (victory condition introduced with Golden Realms expansion) can be seen as a more peaceful way of achieving victory, as compared to seeing to the total annihilation of all your opponents. It is less dreadful than steamrolling and conquering the map for the Xth time.

And in theory: if you manage to get an alliance with every other player on the map and have Allied Victory enabled, you win the map. But the AI seems to be programmed to not allow this cheeky victory as easily as it did back in the early days.

Dream0n

Thank you @motasa and thank you @gloweye.

Lord is done for me. I want to increase difficulty to King but i try to bigger maps.
    So do you think bigger maps is harder or just takes too long to finish.
    I mean changing the difficulty and the map size the same time makes it hard to manage.

Gloweye

Depends on playstyle. If you’re a passive player, AI will get and take the opportunity to grow a lot bigger. If you’re more of a hunter for other player and focus on taking them out, probably not.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.