Help for a noob: Human Dreadnought

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Help for a noob: Human Dreadnought

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Fenraellis 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

The Warrior

Hi guys, I just bought AOW 3 on Steam the other day, and I’ve put about 5 hours into it. I’m playing as a human dreadnought, and from what it seems, they’re kind of a turtling race. I need some help though, like what kinds of strategies could I pursue, and what units I should get.

Thanks Y’all

Harleyquin14

Can’t go wrong with the engineer+musketeer combo for clearing out neutral guards from resource structures.

Ayenara

There is a lot to learn about the game. Don’t be afraid to test some things out for yourself, or read up on something in the wiki or the in-game Tome of Wonders. You might also enjoy playing the campaigns to get started. 5 hours in this game is very little, and it might be difficult to give some good gameplay advice you can use. With that said, try to focus on not losing troops and keep up some scouting and you’ll generally do OK.

Marcus

Hey there,

There are several guides that can help you. Check here.

There are numerous videos on youtube as well.

But basically, try to concentrate on one thing at the time, like building a good mana income or researching class units and building your economy to enable getting 1 unit per turn (muskets usually). Actively scout, especially in the beggining (1-5 turns), then start to clear up weak sites around your capital.

Buying off (conquering) outposts close to you is always a good investment. Just make sure you secure the area from bandits (or keep at least 3 irregulars constantly).

Summons are helpful if you are clearing out sites (as expendables cannon fodder, which can be replaced easily if you have a good mana income).

Anyway, check those links, especially Jomungur’s guide. It’s for MP mostly, but a lot of stuff there relevant to SP too.

Have fun (:

Garresh

Muskets are your bread and better. Even after their slight nerds they’re arguably one of the most efficient t2 units in the game, and make for great line fighters. Focus on getting to a point you can crank out 1/turn. This generally involves a builders hall and maybe a siege workshop, mana fuel cells, and then getting the upgrades to make armored units cheaper, have better defense, and then the free medals for ranged units. Merge all this together with bonus gold from mines and you basically have modern infantry that are very flexible in terms of what they can engage. On the battlefield, you don’t want to fire til you can see the whites of their eyes. Do NOT fire muskets at penalties. Either hit for full or not at all. Its far better to fire next turn for full damage than to waste a shot. Add seeker for siege scenarios. Anyways that carries you through midgame. As you tech further, mix in golems for blocking and add cannons to break formations and walls. Despite their turtley nature, dreads have a strong military relatively early. They just don’t want to use it necessarily. With their production and gold bonuses you’re better off reinvesting in infrastructure and development while having a lot of firepower to repel hostiles.

The Warrior

There is a lot to learn about the game. Don’t be afraid to test some things out for yourself, or read up on something in the wiki or the in-game Tome of Wonders. You might also enjoy playing the campaigns to get started. 5 hours in this game is very little, and it might be difficult to give some good gameplay advice you can use. With that said, try to focus on not losing troops and keep up some scouting and you’ll generally do OK.

very true thanks for the advice, and

There are several guides that can help you. Check here.

thank you for the guides, I’ve been kind of looking around on Steam and I couldn’t seem to find very many good ones.

Either hit for full or not at all

haha very true, I used some muskets yesterday, and they didn’t get much damage in at all at long range, plus the opposing unit had spells or something protecting them. Also, my first game I used the dreadnought class to rush people early on, and that was quite disastrous. I shall keep your advice in mind.

Thanks everyone! More advice is always appreciated.

terrahero

Dont bother with Engineers, they are far to expensive for their ineffective combat potential. Early on you are better of investing slightly more and getting a Musketeer.
    Later on you can produce Builders in cities with a Master’s Guild for a reliable source of Repair Machine, without having to deal with Engineers. Rapid Reload is overrated in my opinion, in almost all circumstances its better to just invest slightly more and get a Musketeer. Which yields far more power in an army then bringing along combat ineffective Musketeers to Rapid Reload Cannons.

Trebuchets are a good alternative to Cannons, they dont have an AoE, but they fire every turn for overall far higher single-target damage. Which makes them preferable for field battles, for sieges Cannons are better as they hit walls and the defender behind it.

Get Golems, need a Dreadnought hero/builder with repair machine to keep them repaired on the strategic map. Else they will not last long, and you’ll end up spending valueable casting points to Reassemble them, which only brings them up to 35% hp. So theyll die quickly again. And thats assuming you even got Reassemble yet, its entirely possible to get Golems well before Reassemble comes along.
    But if you can take care of that, they are really strong and excellent line defenders that can tie up enemy units while you flank them with your superior burst units.

A bit of a cheesy strategy involves Manacore. Attack an enemy city with a few disposable units such as a couple of Spydrones, and Manacore them. You’ll lose the fight obviously. But you can follow this with an attack from a real army, and then its just a case of mopping up a severely damaged defending force.
    If you dont have Manacore yet, as it is a late game spell, cleverly suiciding Spydrones (like a stack of em) into enemy defenders does an excellent job softening powerful enemies up before you commit with your militairy. Just dont do it to often as you do cummulate a global morale penalty, that will dissapear after a while.

The Warrior

Dont bother with Engineers, they are far to expensive for their ineffective combat potential. Early on you are better of investing slightly more and getting a Musketeer.<br>
    Later on you can produce Builders in cities with a Master’s Guild for a reliable source of Repair Machine, without having to deal with Engineers. Rapid Reload is overrated in my opinion, in almost all circumstances its better to just invest slightly more and get a Musketeer. Which yields far more power in an army then bringing along combat ineffective Musketeers to Rapid Reload Cannons.

Trebuchets are a good alternative to Cannons, they dont have an AoE, but they fire every turn for overall far higher single-target damage. Which makes them preferable for field battles, for sieges Cannons are better as they hit walls and the defender behind it.

Get Golems, need a Dreadnought hero/builder with repair machine to keep them repaired on the strategic map. Else they will not last long, and you’ll end up spending valueable casting points to Reassemble them, which only brings them up to 35% hp. So theyll die quickly again. And thats assuming you even got Reassemble yet, its entirely possible to get Golems well before Reassemble comes along.<br>
    But if you can take care of that, they are really strong and excellent line defenders that can tie up enemy units while you flank them with your superior burst units.

A bit of a cheesy strategy involves Manacore. Attack an enemy city with a few disposable units such as a couple of Spydrones, and Manacore them. You’ll lose the fight obviously. But you can follow this with an attack from a real army, and then its just a case of mopping up a severely damaged defending force.<br>
    If you dont have Manacore yet, as it is a late game spell, cleverly suiciding Spydrones (like a stack of em) into enemy defenders does an excellent job softening powerful enemies up before you commit with your militairy. Just dont do it to often as you do cummulate a global morale penalty, that will dissapear after a while.

Hmm, good ideas, I especially like the drone attack idea, as I’ve had a hard time with sieges.

BTW I really like the community for this game, everyone I’ve talked to has been super helpful and respectful even though I’m pretty new, which is great, it’ll definitely make me want to give multiplayer a try someday.

Gloweye

BTW I really like the community for this game, everyone I’ve talked to has been super helpful and respectful even though I’m pretty new, which is great, it’ll definitely make me want to give multiplayer a try someday.

We were all noob once.

Garresh

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>The Warrior wrote:</div>

We were all noob once.

We still are, but we were once too. 😉

Gloweye

sorry, should have been: we were all newb(ie) once.

Whether I’m good at the game is a matter up for debate, but i’m not new to the game…

Garresh

Hey I was insulting all of us equally. Didn’t mean it as a question of your skill.

Kaiosama TLJ

As far as Specializations go, I think Fire and Air Adepts are solid choices. Fire Adept is good because Skin of Oil can be used to make your Flame Tanks deal more damage, and Seeker Enchantment from Air Adept can make your Musketeers and Cannons really terrifying.

Explorer is… decent. It can make your Engineers move a bit farther in combat but that’s about it, although the Structural Insight upgrade can make you consider to also using the racial Irregulars.

Gloweye

Hey I was insulting all of us equally. Didn’t mean it as a question of your skill.

No offense taken man..I like to think im quite good at tactical combat, but when i see the strategic awareness of for example BBB in his youtube vids(or yours, for that matter), than that is where I have to learn most.

My big advantage is that I forget practically, well, nothing. combine that with feeding stats in the wikia, and you’re gonna know pretty well what everything does, and how all the weird interactions work.

As for the Dread strategy, you’re working against AI I assume?

Sieges are the easiest. You can just level everything with your cannons(Get both them and eventual engineers elite from collateral damage to units/reloading), and than mob up what’s left with some more cannon fire/any other units you have. Blunderbuss also does quite a bit of damage, but when you use it, if its not gonna kill the other guy, your engineer is basically dead.

You should also think of earth adept, as stone skin+golem+ defender (an ability that doubles the defending bonus to defense and resistance) + tireless (unlimited retaliation)= something that doesn’t want to die.

creation adept is also useful if you want to do a little less of a steam punk strategy, and more of an “Early Modern” one. Dreadnoughts can give their armored units +1 defense, -10% cost, and they can also give cavalry side arms, or pistols.

humans have two armored cavalry units, so that is a viable strategy in itself.

You might also want to consider a mastery, air mastery probably being the most useful. Not only do you get seeker, but you can also get an air elemental. This unit is powerful in melee (physical protection), and immune to the type of damage (shock) most useful for destroying your own machines.

It does have a lot of elemental weaknesses, but force field will erase them. Even without forcefield, the forge aprons will really help.

It also provides some useful wall countering abilities (floating units can go right over walls), as Dreadnoughts otherwise have to just blow them up.

The Warrior

Oh btw, I just tried and won A human Theocrat game against the AI and loved the way they played, great synergy between units and really powerful strategic spells. Plus the Crusaders just look boss. I’m still gonna try again with dreadnought, and hopefully with all of your tips, I’ll be able to actually win.

Garresh

@gloweye

Funny, I’m the opposite of you. I routinely find myself on the wrong end of a blade if I actually take a fight, as I’m sure everyone on these forums can attest to. I’ve had some pretty amazing losses in my record, and I’ve actually lost stacks of assassins without killing a single unit before. But on the strategic map, I’m a goddamn terror once I get rolling. I pull off some ridiculous raids on a regular basis where I kill good players without engaging their main force even once.

That’s actually something I rather like about this game, and the community. It seems like every player emphasizes certain elements of the game and plays to their strengths. Like Whiteknighted, for instance. Every time I’ve played him, he somehow has an empire larger and more productive than anyone else. He’s no slouch on TC either, but I don’t recall ever being amazed by troop movements against him. I might be mistaken, but it seems he emphasizes good empire management.

Compare that to Jomungur, who doesn’t focus overly much on empire building, but levels his units at absurd speeds, with a very good skillset on both strategic movement and tactical combat. He’s the only player I’ve seen who has successfully ambushed me without using concealment, and he pulled it off as a WARLORD no less.

Now these are just my assessments based on my games with them, but even at the highest skill levels, you see different players, both skilled, who emphasize drastically different elements. It’s pretty friggin cool.

Anyways back on topic. My preferred masteries for dread are FIre adept, Air Adept, and Expander. The reasons stated above for the first 2 are absolutely valid, and I endorse them. Expander provides an interesting niche in that it allows you to employ your superior gold income to develop your empire even faster. More importantly, with expander, you can have a builder run ahead of your main army stack building roads as you go, and thereby allowing a dread to compensate for his poor mobility by literally paving roads everywhere. It gives you more of a chance to not be outmaneuvered by rogues druids and sorcs, who tend to go offroad a lot, moving somewhat slower as a result.

Gloweye

That builder strat is completely Dread flavor-wise. Pave the entire world…

@garresh,

That strategic part is probably whats gonna end up making you a better rogue than I am. Maybe its partly because when playing against AI, a decent tactical combat can repair almost every strategic mistake you make. MP, you won’t be having that luxury, which is on of the reasons I’m hesitant to try it.

Fenraellis

I admit that my strength tends to lie more on the Tactical side than the Strategic, and I have often won battles that my opponents did not expect me to. That said, I am trying to bolster my empire development capabilities, as I do have a tendency to comparatively fall behind in that respect.

Anyway… off-topic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.