[Following] HIGH-ELF Balance Discussion

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Balance Suggestions [Following] HIGH-ELF Balance Discussion

This topic contains 38 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Quaranyr 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Mithlond

Most if not all(i think all) T1 units have exactly 8 models. I like the idea. High elves could have 6 soldiers instead of 8 and goblins consisting of 10 creating a little more race differences. To a certain extent it is already done with high elves and the gryphon rider, it stands as a single model meaning it is on a individual level superior other t3 race units apart from halfling eagle riders. That has probably everything to do with the size of those model.

Draxynnic

Draconian Crushers only have six. Goblins used to have twelve, I think – it was probably reduced after racial characteristics came in and goblins had lower health as a racial characteristic ( they’d need to be REALLY weenie to have 50% greater numbers and still come out weaker…)

Draxynnic

In case there’s anyone who hasn’t already seen it, this thread might be of interest: http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/gryphon-riders/

A proposal for Gryphon Riders to be given the armoured trait. Chryso and I disagree, for reasons that we’ve discussed in the thread.

Quaranyr

Elven pikemen fall even lower in my eyes – I’ve just found that even Goblin pikeman have armor piercing.

Aennor

In case there’s anyone who hasn’t already seen it, this thread might be of interest: http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/gryphon-riders/

A proposal for Gryphon Riders to be given the armoured trait. Chryso and I disagree, for reasons that we’ve discussed in the thread.

I’m not sure there’s anyone who hasn’t seen it already, but thanks for the link (and for the opposition also :D)

vota dc

Savage Gryphons have first strike from the beginning and tireless with gold. These two skills combined with flying are extremely powerful skills: you can position your gryphon in the middle of enemy ranks without worry of opportunity attack because you fly and you will deal infinite opportunity attack because tireless. Being Gryphon rider just add charge, city production, some hp and attack and resistance. Balancing it after giving the armored trait would be hell. First strike, tireless, flying and charge can’t be stripped off (unless they touch the savage gryphon too) and stats like resistance can’t be lowered since elves are supposed to have more than other racial T3. Could be 13 defense, armored trait but -1 attack and -5 hp or they could touch the savage gryphon giving it -1 defense so gryphon rider would have just the armored trait with the same defense but -1 attack to balance. Yeah I know that T3 racial usually used to have 12 defense when unarmored, but gryphon rider is a FLYING RACIAL T3 so 12 instead of 11 like the draconian flyer is already an armor bonus!

Elven pikemen fall even lower in my eyes – I’ve just found that even Goblin pikeman have armor piercing.

They always been a sub-par unit to encourage unit diversity and for both balance and lore reasons (wood elves never had pikemen, dark elves only in the second game) they were even more terrible at the beginning
    http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/racial-unit-stats-medals/
    +1 hp than goblin!

Draxynnic

They always been a sub-par unit to encourage unit diversity and for both balance and lore reasons (wood elves never had pikemen, dark elves only in the second game)

And in the second game, the dark elf pikemen were those who had somehow shamed themselves such that they were no longer considered worthy to carry a sword…

I get the impression the Union Guard is somewhat more respected, but I think it’s reasonable that AoW elves aren’t exactly known for their pikemen. They’re known for their deadly archers, cavalry, and command over lightning instead.

Quaranyr

AoW elves aren’t exactly known for their pikemen. They’re known for their deadly archers, cavalry, and command over lightning instead.

And I’m perfectly fine with that. I’ve just surprised that their pikemen not just bland like I thought before but simply worst. Why do they cost as much as better pikemen of other races? Their archers and cavalry are better than average but cost more. Shoudn’t pikemen be cheaper? Pikeman of every other race have some secondary role – halberdiers are good against other pikeman and half of infantry, deepguards can be secondary tank etc. Union Guards suck at everything but fighting cavalry/flyers but have the same cost. Before the patch human cavalry and archers had the same problem but Evolve and Blessed Arrows somewhat fixed it.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.