How do you Rogue?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions How do you Rogue?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Garresh 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Garresh

I have a question for all you rogue players out there. How do you rogue?

I’ve been working on a mod for the last month and as I’m talking to people and getting feedback, I’m being told more and more that most rogue players don’t sneak at all. So I ask you, what is your preferred strategy as a rogue player? Do you spam one unit? Are there units you favor, or avoid? Do you shy away from combat and go for quick raids, or use rogue skills and abilities to supplement racial units?

And if there’s anything you wanted for your playstyle, what would it be? I find it rather ironic, but designing rogue stuff for my mod is rather difficult because I honestly don’t know what most rogue players want. I know what I want(more and better scouts), but that doesn’t seem to mesh with some of the feedback from my testers, but none of them are dedicated rogue players.

So…how do YOU rogue?

llfoso

Stealth is hard to do. Rather than sneak I tend to just try to out-maneuver the enemy and hit poorly defended cities, and incite revolt on the better defended cities.

If I could have anything out of a mod it would be a) re-classifying bards as irregulars and b) some spell that accomplished something similar to death march. A strategic quick dash.

Charlatan

If you abide the rules of the “War Of The Lords” steam group and the basic AOW3 honor, as set up by Overlord Darkslash, Stealth and Tactics are absolutely more efficient, since these rules limits the amount of T4 and heroes in one stack.

This includes limiting your amount of heroes and T4 units in a single stack, including more low-leveled and more tactical units in a stack than your typical end-game predicts.

And interestingly, clever tactics like using strategic map camouflage, work better that way !

Garresh

Stealth is hard to do. Rather than sneak I tend to just try to out-maneuver the enemy and hit poorly defended cities, and incite revolt on the better defended cities.

If I could have anything out of a mod it would be a) re-classifying bards as irregulars and b) some spell that accomplished something similar to death march. A strategic quick dash.

Hm. That’s something worth looking into down the road, but my current mod is only focusing on new units. I’ve added 3 units so far, 2 of which are more standard fare combat units. But the Succubus variant loses most combat abilities and gains invisibility and +vision, but can sacrifice itself to slow enemies on the strategic map for 2 turns, at the cost of making them faster and stronger in regular combat. That’s about the closest thing to what you’re looking for. Slows enemies instead of speeding your units up.

llfoso

Well, an alt bard that is a melee irregular with bard skills and loses charm would be a solid option.

Sir Toine

in my experience (i only play solo) stealth works great against warlord/dreadnought, especially late game, cause the ia will focus on machines/melee units and barely build any supports.
    Useless against mage/druid cause of the apprentice/shaman spam.

Dagoth Ur

In SP I don’t really use stealth (unless it’s Human Assassins on maps with a lot of water, they seem to work well). I combine Rogue with an alignment spec so I can get a T4 and I spam strategic map spells to annoy the AI. Get into big fights and cast Sadism on the right moment.

In MP I do what I do with every class. Hasty Plunder / Scorched Earth stuff, using concealment gives it an extra edge.

My most used unit is probably the Assassin. Least used probably Bard.

Prodigal Sun

While I focus primarly on FFA-games in multiplayer, I tend to single out one player at a time; so towards that player I try to deploy as much stealth units as possible. My ideal situation is to draw attention in his strongest area and hit less protected areas or backside with stealthed units. Picking up Scorched Earth and Hasty Plunder is mandatory.

I like Stalkers for this but only develop them with Halflings or Dwarfs. There is too much tech involved to ever try evolving with other races. So if I play any other race than those two I go for Assassins instead. I like homogeneous armies that move at the same speed and got same terrain perks. If an army is invisible in certain terrains I like to have a party leader invis with it too, etc.

Basically, I wait for my opponent’s mistake and react to that. Intelligence is always the key to this. If I can catch his armies off guard this is great, else I wage a war of attrition. Early and mid game can be tricky but the tools available late game is superb.

The best unit for Rogues are imo Succubus (still). Undead units are a threat when you gather units in non-explored lands, but they still have huge utility and come out exactly when you need them. Beelining towards Succubus is a good strategy in my eyes. Worst unit: Bard. A unit I don’t ever use, unless I defend as a Rogue (which I never do). I value intel a lot so a changed scout for Rogues would be awesome, I think.

The units I think could/should be changed is Bards and perhaps Scouts. With Rogues my largest and only problem is the spell book, really. Rogue Empire Skill-section is what I dislike most with the class, but that has been discussed before.

smeagolheart

I’ve been trying to play rogue, I mainly play theocrat, and I’m finding the early game to be a huge mountain. Sure you get somewhat nice early spells but they take up way too much mana. Throw out one crow and you are making +1 mana. How are you going to afford the poison buff which costs 20 mana per turn or corpse looting which is another 15? And getting a scoundrel early or bard just ain’t going to do much.

Garresh

I appreciate all this info guys. Very useful. I’m going to try to cater to all playstyles with my variant. I wonder if I should make a thread like this for other classes…

llfoso

I’ve been trying to play rogue, I mainly play theocrat, and I’m finding the early game to be a huge mountain. Sure you get somewhat nice early spells but they take up way too much mana. Throw out one crow and you are making +1 mana. How are you going to afford the poison buff which costs 20 mana per turn or corpse looting which is another 15? And getting a scoundrel early or bard just ain’t going to do much.

It is a problem. You really have to focus on mana infrastructure. I expand quickly (courtesan ambassadors helps with this) and pound out shrines and temples as much as possible. It also helps to get an elemental mastery for convert mana node, but as a rogue specialization slots are especially precious. These days explorer, destruction adept, and the alignment specs kind of feel like a priority.
    Speaking of which, any rogues out there use partisan? I can’t seem to make that work for me.

Garresh

TBH, I feel like rogues can run almost any specialization and make it work. Obviously some are more useful than others, but Explorer isn’t mandatory or anything. Destruction sort of is, but you can run a different style of rogue than that and its workable. Anyways, I’ve run partisan before. The way to make partisan work is to focus pretty heavily on the invisible single units part. Basically it makes you have intel superiority. Embrace your global aggressive enchants and focus on spamming the heck out of those. Guerilla is okay if you use it on like goblin scoundrels, but I don’t consider that the highlight of partisan. It’s the invisible crows that make it good for rogues, but it’s still tricky to use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.