How Does Concealment Work?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions How Does Concealment Work?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jakjak 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

marlowe221

This is most likely a very n00b-ish question but I have a couple of questions about the various terrain concealment attributes that various units have.

My favorite class is Arch Druid. My Hunters have Forest Concealment and the Shaman can hide in a few different terrain types.

So if I have one Hunter in a stack is the whole stack concealed if it is in a forest tile or just the individual unit?

If I get into a battle on terrain in which my units are concealed on the strategic map are they still concealed to the AI in the tactical battle or will they be visible at that point?

Thanks!

Gloweye

Just that one unit is concealed. Units with True sight(Including all support units) can see it regardless. All units standing Right Next to is will also see it, so it won’t be hidden on tactical combat either.

Also, AI cheats a little bit when you’re supposed to be invisible/concealed.

marlowe221

Ah, so concealment is borked/pointless then? That kind of sucks. The idea of setting up ambushes for the AI opponents was appealing it seemed like something I should have been able to do….

Oh well.

If you select the stack you can see an eye icon over any units that are concealed. If you hover over it a tooltip will appear telling you why it is concealed.

Ericridge

Wait, how do the AI cheat against invisible units? I need to know this before I send in an invisible army ><

Gloweye

he, ehm, “senses” them. At least, I’ve seen him reinforce his garrisons while my armies were invisible to him. I checked, and he had no true sight units.

Could any Dev confirm if it works like this, or could there have been something I missed?

Althea

I too have similar experience with Gloweye.

But in vanilla version AI can’t sense invisible units. It happens after the 1st update.

However in current version, you can still ambush AI reinforcement, the AI only sense invisible threat to its cities, so if you ambush its forces outside its cities, AI is just as blind as human player without detector unit (unit that have true sight).

Ericridge

I too have similar experience with Gloweye.

But in vanilla version AI can’t sense invisible units. It happens after the 1st update.

However in current version, you can still ambush AI reinforcement, the AI only sense invisible threat to its cities, so if you ambush its forces outside its cities, AI is just as blind as human player without detector unit (unit that have true sight).

If this is true then…. that is horribly lame on triumph studio’s part. Might as well remove the invisible from invisible units and call it a day.

I’m glad i found this out before attempting to attack an city with assassin army.

Gloweye

Otherwise it’s to easy to abuse dumb AI. In my experience, every game feateuring stealth armies(example: HoMM 4), has an AI which will garrison it’s cities once you get near.

Ericridge

Otherwise it’s to easy to abuse dumb AI. In my experience, every game feateuring stealth armies(example: HoMM 4), has an AI which will garrison it’s cities once you get near.

So its not ok for me to sneak upon an city but it’s ok for the AI to see what’s inside my cities and thus, making them able to disjunct any enchantment I set up while I cannot disjunct with impunity in return while allowing them to know which city is undefended so they can race an puny scout to them.

That’s two er three huge negatives against AOW3 for me.

Gloweye

well, if you can think up a better way to make AI a challenge, I’m sure they’ll listen to your suggestions.

jakjak

Same with your cities you cant ambush them while they attack either proof of this is that they do not constantly send or ever send scouts to take cities with all invisible units

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.