How To Give More Relevance to Ships/Sea

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions How To Give More Relevance to Ships/Sea

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Jolly Joker 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Ericridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ericridge wrote:</div>
    Ram a single attack while Firstborn does physical/fire damage on galleons who have fire weakness.

20%, where a firstborn has 2 fire damage. However, fire cannon is only every other turn, so you’d have to make it a point to flank often, an never park your ships on adjacent tiles, and the galleon’s should win.

Hence my comment about two gallens playing very poorly for the firstborn to win against both. XD

Hiliadan

Reposting here to note some ideas.

First, I searched for topics related to naval gameplay and found at least these 3, which seem to say more or less the same things:

BRAINSTORMING: Naval Combat

Let the sea matter?

+ the present one

Then, a few ideas for mods (some already listed on the topics above):
    – Harbour repairs ships in the domain (like the defensive buildings of some Dwelling can give bonus to units in domain, so technically feasible, right?)
    – distinguish between Shallow and Deep Water, only ships and sea creatures can enter Deep Water (probably hard to mod in the RMG)
    – upkeep is increased above Water, or units lose HP, unless they’re with a ship and/or are Sea Creatures
    – add a new ship that can repair other ships and remove the extra upkeep of non-ship and non-Sea Creatures

Gloweye

– Harbour repairs ships in the domain (like the defensive buildings of some Dwelling can give bonus to units in domain, so technically feasible, right?)

Technically 100% feasable. But it already allows the Master’s Guild to repair ships in the harbor hex. That change neccesarry ?

– distinguish between Shallow and Deep Water, only ships and sea creatures can enter Deep Water (probably hard to mod in the RMG)

Might be possible, but Im not gonna try to find out. Perhaps you can start with deep water and flood shallow from land hexes ? No guarantees tho.

Bouh

Problem of these ideas is that it makes water mostly harder to go in without real ships, and that leads to water being an undesireable place for players.

Most of the problems that were have been adressed anyway : there much more water structures than there was before, and ships are monsters of the sea.

Seriously, three frigates will murder any party without proper naval movements and enough tiers 3 units, and galleons are terrifying when they come out of pirate dens.

Forts can now be build on water to reclaim the nodes there, and there are more nodes since update 1.5-6-7or8 (don’t remember the update, but it’s some time ago now).

The last remaining thing to balance is the embark/disembark balance and the speed of embarked units. In the past rivers could be used as highway on continent maps, and some people didn’t like it, so it was severly nerfed. Now I think movement is about the same or faster on land with basic seafaring (21/3 vs 28/4 on average).

The only thing I would see is that advanced seafaring could provide a small bonus on naval warfare (for embarked units), but I’m not even sure about that.

Jolly Joker

I already play with a mod that gives Harbor a 25% per turn repair ship ability and gives 1 gold and 1 pop per water hex in the town range.
    Other than that, with Dreadnaught heroes have repair machine I gave Dread heroes the abilities Capture Ship (which works like control undead) and Letter of Marque (which gibves certain units Capture ship as well).
    I’m testing this still, though.

The thing is, that I think you can mod things any way you want.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.