I wonder about Age of Wonders

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions I wonder about Age of Wonders

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BLOODYBATTLEBRAIN 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jedbeans

Sometimes I wonder…

How long is a turn for my minions and citizens? There is no seasonal change so I assuming 1 year or so, that would mean my hero by turn 100 would be a croaky old geezer. There are some substantial population changes over the game so a year does make sense in that regard.

Why are all these mines and farms held and guarded by goblins, rebellious soldiers and monsters? Are we digging up the ruins of an ancient time after a Dark Age that came upon civilization? Or are we attacking the yet to be loyal inhabitants of the land like the American Wild West or William the Conqueror?

Who am I that I can send instructions to all my cities, soldiers and various heroes? Am I the king that I chose at the beginning of the match? Am I his or her god? How can I trust the information am I given about income, health of units, happiness, experience levels? Perhaps there is some false reporting at hand to appease my demanding nature. Maybe this is why my stupid swordmen swings and hit for only 9 patry damage.

So far I have poured into this game 122 hours of my life, I think I deserve some answers!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  Jedbeans.

Thariorn

Whoow, I don’t think I’m suited to dabble in metaphysics or planes of existence

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  Thariorn.

1) Length of turn: In the original AoW one turn was stated as one day. But back then you could neither found nor grow cities. They had a fixed size, so there were no discrepances in that way. It gets difficult in terms of population growth, but just immagine that gorth is not just reproduction but also immigration (otherwise the huge boost in population when migrating a city could not be explained)
    One year seems too long for me as then your cities would be more than one year appart? some units would need awhole year to cross just one metropolis? seems rediculous to me.

2)

Are we digging up the ruins of an ancient time after a Dark Age that came upon civilization? Or are we attacking the yet to be loyal inhabitants of the land

a little bit of both I dare say: I immagine the guards just as the people living there. The schadow war (AoWSM) devastated the lands so you could say those farms etc are remnants of older towns and villages eg. wizard towers have been central part of eac city in earlier times.

3)

Who am I that I can send instructions to all my cities, soldiers and various heroes

Well thats a tough one. but then as unit size is not really representative just imagine really fast unstoppable outriders delivering your orders

AND no you are not good just a hero and yes you are the leader! For god complex play black and white or AoWII/AoWSM (they get close)

Perhaps there is some false reporting at hand to appease my demanding nature. Maybe this is why my stupid swordmen swings and hit for only 9 patry damage.

Please ask this for basically any game there is and reconsider!

In total: imagine what ever suits you best (it is a fantasy game after all)! But keep in mind that this is just a game and that somethings are simply gameplay!

1) Length of turn: In the original AoW one turn was stated as one day. But back then you could neither found nor grow cities. They had a fixed size, so there were no discrepances in that way. It gets difficult in terms of population growth, but just immagine that gorth is not just reproduction but also immigration (otherwise the huge boost in population when migrating a city could not be explained)
    One year seems too long for me as then your cities would be more than one year appart? some units would need awhole year to cross just one metropolis? seems rediculous to me.

As an aside, in AoW1 fixed city sizes and no new city founding had a profound effect on how the game was played. Add in city walls that blocked everything except fliers, wall climbers, floaters (iirc) and wall crushers, and the fact that for most races their siege equipment required t2 size cities (except for Rams), and things were very different. Not better or worse, just different, when Goblins and Azracs had living units able to take cities very easily and early on.

Another side was leaders off mode? Anyone remember that? Basically, you started the game with your chosen race and NO Leader (would equate to NO class in current game) so you lived and died by the power of your race and tactical choices. Heroes still showed up iirc. Anyway this changed the game dramatically because leaders and heroes were stupidly OP in the first game.

Draxynnic

How long is a turn for my minions and citizens? There is no seasonal change so I assuming 1 year or so, that would mean my hero by turn 100 would be a croaky old geezer. There are some substantial population changes over the game so a year does make sense in that regard.

I think there is a campaign map where they’re explicitly stated to be days. More generally speaking, though, I think it’s pretty much abstracted. A turn is whatever length of time makes sense to you.

Why are all these mines and farms held and guarded by goblins, rebellious soldiers and monsters? Are we digging up the ruins of an ancient time after a Dark Age that came upon civilization? Or are we attacking the yet to be loyal inhabitants of the land like the American Wild West or William the Conqueror?

Depends on game mode. Most maps, though, carry with them the assumption that you’re exploring into wild and/or hostile territory. In campaign maps, you’re usually trying to take control of an area which may be established territory of an opposing political group, while in random maps, you’re building an empire from scratch. Generally speaking, most ‘guards’ are inhabitants who, for whatever reason, don’t recognise your authority. Possibly they’re defending their own businesses that they don’t want you to come in, take over, and start taxing.

When it comes to ruins and such – it’s worth noting that even civilised lands can have ruins that haven’t been explored for a while, possibly because there’s some superstition about them or they’re considered to be dangerous for more mundane reasons. There was a ruined castle recently discovered in a town in Scotland, for instance – the people knew there was something there, but it was pretty overgrown and nobody had gone in to explore it for yonks, so nobody connected it with the castle that history said was somewhere in the area but had been lost.

Who am I that I can send instructions to all my cities, soldiers and various heroes? Am I the king that I chose at the beginning of the match? Am I his or her god? How can I trust the information am I given about income, health of units, happiness, experience levels? Perhaps there is some false reporting at hand to appease my demanding nature. Maybe this is why my stupid swordsmen swings and hit for only 9 paltry damage.

You’re the leader you choose at the start of the match.

Regarding instructions and such – I tend to think of it as every leader, including having some amount of magic that allows them to observe and communicate with their units… as well as to rival leaders. Even warlords could possibly have some magic item that allows them to channel their influence over a distance – in fact, possession of such a device may be what separates warlords that are leaders over those that are simply heroes.

Even warlords could possibly have some magic item that allows them to channel their influence over a distance

Like a Palantir?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.