Ideas for new units

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Ideas for new units

This topic contains 38 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Thass 9 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

cyz

So I wanted to start a thread to gather ideas for new units (or adjusted versions of old units I guess).

Here’s one to start:

Halfling Turtle: Big, slow moving, high defense, amphibic turtle with two or three halfling slingers on it’s back to fire at enemies. This should obviously be (one of) their strongest units.

Chameleon type unit: Should probably be a low level neutral unit. Basicly invisible but very weak.

Baloonista: Basicaly a balloon (not a zeppelin) with a ballista. Would be slow and fragile, but hey, it’s a long range siege unit that can’t be hit by melee units and can more easily shoot over obstacles.

Fikol

Well, I would very much like to see units that are unique, and can be obtained in special places or after finishing quest or such, basically everybody can get it but its kind of hard – it’s more like vision/mechanis than a specyfic unit

cyz

I like the idea to have really unique neutral units that are hard to obtain. Got any specific ideas?

Piko LV

Maybe Rift Lords?

BlaneckW

Tech priest.

Oldschool

At first i hope to see all the old units back again.. in 3D.. WOAW! 🙂

Nexium Night

@ CYZ:  Meh, no offense, but to me, none of those sound too interesting…

Ok, the turtle (or tortoise, since it’s mainly land) I can see being something, especially if it’s like lv 3+

I honestly don’t see the point of a chameleon type unit; although come to think of it, I can see that it could serve a tactical duty, especially if it has something like camouflage or invisibility; but there’s barely any point to it if it’s a very low level, particularly lv1.

Why would anyone want a balloonist if they have an air-galley (zep)?  Ok, maybe if it’s below lv4 I can see a reason (cost).  But again, if it’s weak, it’s pretty screwed when it comes to even lv1 rangers or flyers.  But I can tell you this much: Sure beats AOWSM’s balloon, which does squat XD

Nexium Night

BTW, with unique neutral units that would be hard to get, how does one or more of the following sound:

Platinum Dragon

(something similar to the Tarasque from France myth or Tarrasque from Dungeon and Dragons)

Gorilla

(Some dinosaur such as T-Rex or a Sauropod)

a (minor) god or goddess or an avatar

Dragon rider

Some kind of whale

Flying Dutchman

BlaneckW

Orcs with rifles.  Goblins with shotguns.

NEHZ

The Flying Dutchman as an unit type? :S

Mud Elemental

A veliciraptor kind of unit. The version with feathers.

cyz

I agree the balloon might be a bit out there.

My idea for the turtle is basically a top tier unit for the halfling race. A slow, high defense ranged unit will be perfect for them. It can be used to protect the other halfling units which are naturally weak. Also, since it can swim, it’s perfect for surprise attacks and hit & retreat.

The chameleon is mostly useful as a spy type unit. Probably a neutral unit but also available for players. It could be the kind of unit you’ll only encounter by chance but can have a great strategic use.

There’s some really good ideas here (I like the water-only whale!). I think it would be useful to explain something more about the strategic role of a unit though.

Draxynnic

Turtles and chameleons are lizardmen units, not halflings. Chameleons are just a general fit thing, while the lizardmen actually had two units in AoW1 that were explicitly turtles (the turtle ballista and turtle catapult) and their level 4 unit was a basilisk that was depicted and described as a dragon turtle.

When it comes to platinum dragons… while AoW has done a bit of the colour-coded dragon thing, this isn’t AoW. Gold and silver dragons are acceptable because those are essentially fancy ways of saying ‘yellow’ and ‘white/light grey’, but when you start reaching for other metals, if you’re not D&D it starts to get a bit silly. (Anne McCaffrey gets a pass on having bronze dragons because if you don’t count the albino, she only had five colours in total.)

cyz

True, I guess it depends on which races will be included. I’d be suprised if both the halflings and lizardmen are included (have the races been announced yet?). I’d personally prefer the halflings as an aquatic focussed race, and if that’s the case the turtle would be nice to give the faction an aquatic feel.

Brother JO

True, I guess it depends on which races will be included. I’d be suprised if both the halflings and lizardmen are included (have the races been announced yet?). I’d personally prefer the halflings as an aquatic focussed race, and if that’s the case the turtle would be nice to give the faction an aquatic feel.

races are announced.And sorry but halflings are not included in release :/

From FAQ:

Question :  I know an Orc hero called Grom who demands to know how many races will be available to play from release and any new ones? He’ll take my, well, you don’t want to know if he doesn’t get his answer  .
    Lennart Sas :AoW3 will ship with six player races, six player classes and at least six specialization “spheres”, which include magic.  The initial races will be High Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Draconians Goblins and Orcs.  It doesn’t mean the other races have all gone extinct and we hope to release them at some later stage!

Relevant to this , see: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/03/age-of-wonders-3-interview-with-triumph-studios-lenart-sas/

Motasa

Since many races will not return in the initial release. It would be nice if some units will return of races wich we will not be able to play. I would love to see some old and memorable units return, even just as independant NPC units defending nodes or mines; but would be cool to get them to join you for a price. For example: Halfling slingers/ponyriders and the Frostling Shaman. Any more news on the Dire Pinguin?!

cyz

Oh yes, frostling wolf rides should be in, even if the frostlings are not. Maybe for those factions that are not included there could be 1 neutral unit that really resembles their entire race?

For example the halfling rogue or the frostling wolfrider. A flying archer unit for the draconians? Perhaps a chameleon warrior type unit for the lizardmen (kind of like a swimming ninja unit)?

Brother JO

Since many races will not return in the initial release. It would be nice if some units will return of races wich we will not be able to play. I would love to see some old and memorable units return, even just as independant NPC units defending nodes or mines; but would be cool to get them to join you for a price. For example: Halfling slingers/ponyriders and the Frostling Shaman. Any more news on the Dire Pinguin?!

We will propably see that type units because devs said that there will be as much as units as AoW2 at the release.So even if we have 6 races we would have a lot of mercerenary/indie units , and it’s safe to assume that some of them would be units of races which are not added to game yet.We already have undead(archon) units which are not playable race but we can see them in the AoW3.

About Dire Penguin:

Devs said that they were modelling the dire penguin, so I think we will see it in AoW3 , if not it would propably come with a race dlc.

I’m really excited about all of these possibilities because from the FAQ, and the interview it sounds like the programers and developers are actually very excited themselves.  It makes me believe that they’ll be open to all of your ideas (in some form of later DLC) and will be putting some extra umph into the creative side of new races and units.

I haven’t played the original AOW in a very long time, but I remember the lizard race being really fun to use; the turtle catapults and fire salamanders were neat.

How about some things that weren’t in the original games (not counting mods)?

Werewolves

Frost Giants

Krakens (since a lack of shadow demons reduces our Cthulhu influence)

Balrog like unit, both big and on fire, slight bridge aversion (latinate demon name preferred).

Narvek
    Keymaster

I’m really excited about all of these possibilities because from the FAQ, and the interview it sounds like the programers and developers are actually very excited themselves.  It makes me believe that they’ll be open to all of your ideas (in some form of later DLC) and will be putting some extra umph into the creative side of new races and units.

Yes we are definitely very excited ourselves! This is the game we really want to make! It’s going to be nothing short of awesome if we can help it!

Extra umph? We have those… three in fact (Tri-umph) :p (sorry couldn’t resist ;))

Musketeers, the ones AOW were pretty damn lame because ballistas shot twice, if they shot once they would’ve been awesome rather than pailing compared to ballistas. I’m thinking Humans and Dwarves using them, Elves probably still have their longbow fetish, Orcs would probably consider them cowardly*, Draconians don’t seem to like machines very much and Goblins would probably love better, smaller firearms but I’m not sure they are strong enough to use muskets. I can see muskets being slow, non-accurate but hugely damaging against heavier armor.

Repeater Crossbow? Think a shorter-ranged crossbow that fires multiple shots, like those chinese ones.

Rifle units? By rifle I’m thinking those old-timey rifles that shot slower than a musket, but were more accurate. That’s the stuff.

Oh, cannons that fire spread shot instead of cannon balls.

Probably something very weird for draconians, maybe some weird undersea dragon?

I liked Orc Shamans in AOWSM, hope they show up again, very awesome unit.

*Unless they have bayonets. Actually, I can totally see AOW’s Orcs inventing bayonets, they would be like those Scottish Highlanders who shot their muskets as much as their charged with the bayonets, maybe more so. I can see that being a lot more accepted by Orcs than “cowardly” archers.

Sordak

orcs always had archers tho.
    So i dont see much fuzz about them using em.
    Cowardly or not. they understand the benefit.

Yeah, but look at Orc Shaman in Shadow Magic: It kicks a lot of ass for a mage. Orc Shamans scale walls and have good melee stats. Also Poison Att + Drain Power = Congratulations you’re now a cripple. Enjoy your beating. Also, black bolts. Gotta love them.

Now Orc archers are lame-o. Imagine if Orcs used big, heavy muskets instead: Accuracy goes to hell, muskets are short-ranged and slow, so they would use the bayonet a lot, seem like a interesting unit to me: Low Att Decent Dmg Short-Ranged unit that is good at shooting bullets at the enemy and then defending with bayonets, then shooting again.

BTW, what’s the tech level of AOW3?
    AOW was more middle ages with some extra tech here and there from humans and Dwarves(Bombardiers, Muskets, Air Galleys were weird, through). Also Goblin Bombs, gotta love ’em.
    AOW2/SM was more Rennaisance Europe-level, say, 1500 or so, flintlock pistols (there was a strange lack of muskets, through), pretty reliable cannons, crossbows were common, there was a steampunk unit in the form of Steam Tanks. Of course, it depended on race.
    From trailer it seems AOW3 is pretty Medieval-Steampunkish, reminds of me of Arcanum. Early Industrial Revolution Steampunk?

Sordak

from what i can tell this might depend heavily on the Class you choose.
    The Dreadnaught, judging from his hillarious attire has an almost victorian feel to it.
    while the Archdruid is most likeley has a pre-medieval feel to it.

So we have only seen riflemen in one instance and those were Dwarves so its kind of hard to tell if dwarves always have a rifleman unit or if the riflemen are a dreadnought speciifc unit.

I’m really interested in the Drednaught faction.  It sounds very Steampunk-ish.    Blaneck, your idea for a tech priest could easily already be in the works with these guys.

My idea was for an Engineer (I know there’s already a Dwarven version), but the Engineer could be the Tech priest for the Drednaught’s units, essentially “healing” them by fixing and maybe upgrading the automatons in battle.

And from the trailer, I’m wondering if the Drednaught’s rolling fortresses could actually be their cities; able to move around the map.  How neat would that be?!   Disadvantages would have to applied for balancing purposes (low crop yeilds or low production values while in mobile modes) of course.

meeber

Well we be able to create our own units in the editor (this is one of the reasons I still play AOW:SM to this day?)

It would be wonderfull to see among the neutral units, and especially among the factions in the game addons any swamp units such as: Lizardmen, Medusas, Turtle-ballistas, Serpentflies, Hydras, etc. Perhaps it is too standard, but they would look great in Sumerian or Mesoamerican atmosphere.

Sordak

not again the mesoamerican style. im growing so sick of it.
    I mean i was ok with it in Warhammer but now everyone uses it and its getting so boring.

that beeing said id like to have some swamp units on the other factions simply for the movement diversity.
    And as ive said before, id replace the slither on the draconians for a lizardman any day…

Draxynnic

Serpentflies sound a bit too HoMM-specific.

And as I’ve said before, I like the slither because it serves to provide the draconians with something that’s like a stunted dragon before they get to actual dragons.

Maybe  some insect units, like giant mosquiotos or dragonflies. Nothing particulary original, but new in Aow.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.