Interest for more UGC?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Interest for more UGC?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Teehon 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Teehon

Unlike AoWSM, the community of AoW3 seems to be not very interested in UGC. Mapmaking subforum is basically empty and uploaded to Steam maps get only a dozen downloads each.
    How do you guys explain this? Is there a lack of creativity in the modern gaming community or is the reason something else?

Some time ago I started working on a short campaign (My first idea was to create a campaign for each race), with challenges quite unlike the official campaign (Not built on similar designs, so that the player will not be able to complete the whole campaign using the same strategy). But it turned out to be a lot more work than I expected it to. So I am just curious now – will people be interested in something like this?

Is there a lack of creativity in the modern gaming community or is the reason something else?

The RMG does an amazing job. Human creations will always be better, but they take time and effort to do well.

RMG takes seconds, and whilst it isn’t perfect, it does enough of the important things to a good enough degree.

It also has that lovely element of surprise that lacks when you know a map very well.

The logical next step is to be able to generate random maps in the editor, for Humans to tinker with.

Also, the new editor, whilst more powerful than the old, isn’t as easy to use.

Teehon

You didn’t answer my second question, though 🙂

Would I be interested in a campaign? Yes ofcourse.

Hide

Exactly what BBB said but I don’t like human made maps. Usually they are extremely symmetrical or have some unnatural pattern in the design and I don’t like it.

On the other hand – and this also kind of answers your second question – there is one thing where human made maps are great: Scenarios and campaigns!

Btw for Age of Wonders 1 I also created a few maps because there was no generator.

jb

I think a great idea would be to string together three or four random maps into a ‘campaign’.

Basically allowing for heroes to reach high levels by playing consecutive maps, but tons of replay value with random generated maps.

The Mentat

I would be especially interested in scenarios with scripts (for a story) as the existing scenarios in the game don’t have text boxes or other elements of a story.

That’s a lot of work though. I once created a map for Heroes of Might and Magiv V with scripts and it took me 6 months…

Ravenholme

Yeah, I’m really hoping that we get more people interested in the scenario maker and actually making some proper, scripted scenarios and campaigns.

I’ve got ideas and designs upon learning it myself, but it is hard to find the time as my job is currently keeping me very busy.

Teehon

I would be especially interested in scenarios with scripts (for a story) as the existing scenarios in the game don’t have text boxes or other elements of a story.

That’s exactly what I want to do.
    I started working on the first map, the story is about a dwarven Captain of Prospectors from the outer reaches of Commonwealth, who was sent as a leader of a big expedition to find out what happened to the dwarven outpost which has recently lost all contact to the mainland.
    On the first map there are no cities and gold is basically “provisions”, you need to earn more all the ways you can or your units will start dying of hunger (deserting).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.