Introducing the Rogue Leader Class

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Introducing the Rogue Leader Class

This topic contains 43 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Calmar 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

jimmy

“Rogue Lords are masters of stealth, manipulation and theft. Any foolish citizen who makes trouble, disappears without a whisper in the middle of the
    [See the full post at: Introducing the Rogue Leader Class]

vota dc

Shadow seems bigget than I expected. What is the difference between Assassin and Scoundrel? One seems trained, the other a cheaper one that does the same.

bocuma

Awesome, city stealth.. Can’t wait for this game to release.
    and dwarfen succubi, you trolls. 😀 love it, they should also get a mustache ^^

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

@Vota dc The scoundrel is more of dirty fighter, skirmisher type. But yeah its cheaper 🙂

@bocuma bearded ladies ok… mustaches – now that would be just weird 😉

Motasa

Very nice class. This small glimpse really showed the neat options you have when playing as a rogue. The trailer left me with more questions as to how “courtesan ambassadors” will function. Are those units? Or is it somehow a mechanism or part of the diplomatic “window“?

I sure hope you guys introduce us to the other classes asap. I can’t wait to find out what playing the Archdruid will be like.

Tawni

@Lennart not for dwarven succubi 😉

Arnout
    Keymaster

@motasa it is part of diplomacy system. Courtesan Ambassadors gives bonuses when dealing with independent cities. Cities are more favorable towards you and this makes it cheaper to buy these independent cities in the end. You also gain a relation modifier towards other players, making it easier to accept offer deals and such!

I am happy that it was the Rogue class that got revealed, as I was most curious for this one! I loved the gameplay video; it showed us shortly many of the different aspects like different leaders, units, combat (wall climbing!) and spells. One of the things I noted were the many available global spells, including many that changed the terrain.

And thanks Arnout for clarying the courtesan ambassadors.

Side note1: I think the player was cheating; crazy amounts of mana and gold! Or was this one of the many deceptions of a Rogue? 🙂
    Side note2: I can now see that merchant can be a suitable specialization for this class.

Great update!

BahamaMama

I am really excited to play this game the first time!

Motasa

@arnout Thanks for the answer. Seems to be an interesting mechanic that will give Rogues an edge when dealing with other players and independents.

Quark02

How do relation modifiers work with human players?

Generally these kinds of things work with the AI but are useless with human players – they don’t care about other people sending them virtual pretty girls.

Unknown250

Wow, I was skeptical about how the Rogue might work in a game like Age of Wonders but this seems like it may end up being my favourite class. Excellent work, Triumph! Looking forward to the end product.

arczx

Feels quite evil to me. I like the look of that. Good job!

melkathi

Hmm, reading the description of the Shadow Stalker. The flavor text is the testimony of a Gib Andin. Andy Gibb? The BeeGees are a famous family of sorcerers now? 🙂

Gyor

What do you mean now? I thought everyone knew the BeeGees were sorcerors ;p

Gyor

For those who only see how dark the Rogue can be, remember these are only a small fraction of what the rogue gets.

Example of less dark Rogue stuff Courtasan Ambassador, Bards, Scondrels ( in the scense that they could be your merry men, grim beak crows.

tugapt

The game looks gorgeous so far, but now that u show us a new class I noticed one minor thing the mount for each class are very similar and i think that they could be different to make them more unique and distinct… the dread horse could be made of gear and wheels for ex.

melkathi

The game looks gorgeous so far, but now that u show us a new class I noticed one minor thing the mount for each class are very similar and i think that they could be different to make them more unique and distinct… the dread horse could be made of gear and wheels for ex.

While a steam-horse for my dreadnought would be awesome (devs please implement if you haven’t), do remember that we are not limited to one mount but will be able to change it and even raise our own from eggs.

Draxynnic

Default mounts are determined by race, not class. There are means to acquire new mounts, but the full list has not been publicly released.

Feels quite evil to me. I like the look of that. Good job!

Like many things, there are a set of tools available, but whether good or evil depends on how you use them. Shadow stalkers could easily be volunteers, for instance, and Plague of Brigands could represent providing arms to the dissidents within an evil ruler’s city.

AwesomeLion

Looks great! Unsure what my starting class will be, warlord or rogue at this point, depending on the warlord reveal ^.^

Amazing work guys, can’t wait for more info or the chance to try it out myself

I was initially skeptical toward the class system. Rogue was the class I most expected to not make a succesful transition to a “meta” class but I must see I’m very much impressed by the direction they’ve chosen to take. Every new leader class revealaed makes me re-evaluate which class I’d rather first play and that has to be a very good sign!

Can’t wait for theocrat. But surely, surely warlord will be rather dull? I hope Ill be surprised again. 🙂

Doire

I always enjoy the less direct approaches. The Rogue looks to be my champion.

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

We had lots of fun designing the less ‘obvious’ classes, that couldn’t rely purely on the magical spells of the previous games. Rogue, Theocrat and Warlord all are quite special in that regard.

Mardagg

I really love what i see about the rogue class.
    Probably my favorite class by now, which does surprise me.

Keep on the good work!

Leon Feargus

I noticed the global spellbook (1.08) containing many interesting things that are not spells at all and require no mana or cp, just time.

Chop trees, Grow forest, Fertilize fields, Sow salt and Flood fields.

This looks like yet another dimension for gameplay.

I think i like it

melkathi

We had lots of fun designing the less ‘obvious’ classes, that couldn’t rely purely on the magical spells of the previous games. Rogue, Theocrat and Warlord all are quite special in that regard.

I hope we get to try them all out soon 😉
    If you are going to tease us like that, you better not take too long releasing the game.

Rafahil

This really has me stoked. I’m gonna juggle between this and Dark souls 2 😀 March can’t come too soon.

Twystyd

Awesome concept.

melkathi

This really has me stoked. I’m gonna juggle between this and Dark souls 2 :D March can’t come too soon.

Hah, I wont juggle with anything… ok real life. But no other game 🙂

davis14

the way you described rogue’s in the begin with the whole some are this and some that does that some sort of morality system is going to be put in place and depending on your morality you get units that are specific to that morality and the units that are accessible by all rogue’s, the appearance of the unit would change?

also that brilliant with what your doing with the succubus unit changing with race.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.