Irregulars and Medals

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Irregulars and Medals

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Gloweye 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Arcylis

Im sure this has been answered a bunch of times, but it keeps coming up in games so Im just going to ask.

It seems there is a building that gives irregulars a medal though I could be mistaken, though none of the buildings claim to do that. I know rogues get an ability for medaled irregulars.

I guess my question is, is there a way to build irregulars with medals, and if so what are they?

Gloweye

1. Racial Tier 3 buildings give a medal to all Tier 1 and 2 units – this includes Irregulars if they have that rank. (all of them except sphinxes)

2. Rogue has Irregular Training, which gives a medal to all their Irregulars upon production. It’s an empire upgrade.

3. Rogue T3 class buildings gives 1 medal to produced Irregulars and Stalkers.

4. Racial Governance:
    4.1 Draconian T4 Economy has the Peak of the Forefathers give +1 Medal to all produced units.
    4.2 Tigran T4 Economy has the Temple give +1 medal to all produced units.

Maybe it also works if you have a Human Rogue – Human has all medal boosts to specific units increase their bonus by 1 rank, so that should work along with Rogue T3 building.

Arcylis

Thanks again Gloweye! You are so active on the forums here. I did take a look at the wiki and your dark elf suggestions. I just like all the work you put into this game, especially using the internet, because that is giving to the community. As amazing and popular as this game is, I still feel it doesnt have the fan base it deserves. AoW is a superb 4X game, and its strategic combat is incredible! Nothing really touches it in terms of warfare simulation. This is definitely the SC/WC of the TBS genre!

So I have a few ideas I wanted to run by you. Probably not the best place to post them, but Im confident you’ll read it. What do you think about buffs getting the option to affect more targets for more mana. As they are now, they are potent in the early game and lacking in the late game.

And my biggest concern. It seems like xp farming is here to stay despite Triumphs efforts to diminish it. If this game is to remain a tactical masterpiece, we need to find a viable mod to use that solves the issue of exploiting the resource of xp. Perhaps it will help people come up with an effective solution if they see xp for what it is, a resource that is measured in numbers like all the other resources. Im just tossing out the first thing that comes to mind to get the ball rolling. What if ALL heroes in game gain a level every x number of turns determined before hand by players. This could easily go hand in hand with desired game length. It does leave a problem for units, but I dont know that units are really the problem.

If this is something you feel deserves more attention, feel free to copy/paste it into another thread.

Thanks again Gloweye!

Gloweye

I don’t think XP farming is a bad thing all together – it should be rewarding to micro the combats IMHO. As for how important it is, that’s up for debate.

Note that I hardly play any MP – therefore I’m not really of a mind to go and build a MP balance mod. I don’t mind brainstorming how to achieve a certain effect though.

As for the multi-target buffs, it’s an idea that’s been posted before. It doesn’t seem possible with the current spell-casting system I’m afraid though, but I haven’t looked at it with that in mind yet, so I could be mistaken.

Combat should be rewarding ofcourse, but I think the XP rewards are (still) too big…

If you are able to do a lot of combat (clearing sites etc.) you will level up very quickly, and this difference can be dramatic in MP.

I played several RMG / PBEM games where the map thus really dictates the winner basically right “off the bat” – given no player makes any mistakes.

Say I am able to do 10 combats (which all units survive) where in another game I can do only 5. This can easily build up in level differences that are double of your opponent (or half) and I noticed these differences between my heroes in several matches myself.

Because I think the RMG does a pretty good job (and hey some randomness / disbalance is even wanted) I really think the XP gain should be limited somewhat:

The simplest and best solution IMO is to only grant XP for the kill – this is easily understood and really noone can have anything against it *reasonably*. (I do know we’re also emotionally attached to the game at some level).

This will balance out the difference between 5 or 10 combats somewhat better I’m sure – and hence the overall course of the (MP/RMG) game.

Perhaps even more importantly: As a nice side effect, automatically, player behaviour will change: All abilities will be used for its actual purpose only – as intended. There’s no other reason to do so. It will discard the use of such “unnecessary” actions and thus increase the flow (speed) of combat as well.

I don’t consider myself an XP farmer, but it is really hard NOT to use any redundant abilities in combat (dispel, buffs, etc.) before dealing the final blow and ending it, if only for keeping up with other MP players who likely do the same.

I consider the effect that regular units will level up more slowly beneficial as well, but this can be a matter of taste.

I know this is pretty much leading off-topic, but as the topic is basically done i think it is OK:

he simplest and best solution IMO is to only grant XP for the kill – this is easily understood and really noone can have anything against it *reasonably*.

Could not disagree more! ONe thing I really dislike in many RPGs and other games is the fact that you get ONLY XP for killing. This makes units that are more of a support role (thus not necessarily support in this game as supports in AoW can hit pretty hard) almost impossible to level!

All abilities will be used for its actual purpose only – as intended. There’s no other reason to do so. It will discard the use of such “unnecessary” actions

I admit that this is a problem. But I think it would be much better to grant XP only for abilities that interact with another unit! Or at least abilities that alter the amount of hitpoints that is dealing damage or healing. THis should at least remove a pointless sprinting, war crying and dispelling (actually of the latter I did even never think of using it as an exploit, but hei people are creative)

Combat should be rewarding ofcourse, but I think the XP rewards are (still) too big…

If you are able to do a lot of combat (clearing sites etc.) you will level up very quickly, and this difference can be dramatic in MP.

I played several RMG / PBEM games where the map thus really dictates the winner basically right “off the bat” – given no player makes any mistakes.

Say I am able to do 10 combats (which all units survive) where in another game I can do only 5. This can easily build up in level differences that are double of your opponent (or half) and I noticed these differences between my heroes in several matches myself.

Because I think the RMG does a pretty good job (and hey some randomness / disbalance is even wanted) I really think the XP gain should be limited somewhat:

The simplest and best solution IMO is to only grant XP for the kill – this is easily understood and really noone can have anything against it *reasonably*. (I do know we’re also emotionally attached to the game at some level).

This will balance out the difference between 5 or 10 combats somewhat better I’m sure – and hence the overall course of the (MP/RMG) game.

Perhaps even more importantly: As a nice side effect, automatically, player behaviour will change: All abilities will be used for its actual purpose only – as intended. There’s no other reason to do so. It will discard the use of such “unnecessary” actions and thus increase the flow (speed) of combat as well.

I don’t consider myself an XP farmer, but it is really hard NOT to use any redundant abilities in combat (dispel, buffs, etc.) before dealing the final blow and ending it, if only for keeping up with other MP players who likely do the same.

I consider the effect that regular units will level up more slowly beneficial as well, but this can be a matter of taste.

I disagree. The problems you mentioned (number of sites you can clear) have to do primarily with the RMG. You can’t XP farm but you can use redundant abilities and that’s fine IMO.

JIntegrity

1. Racial Tier 3 buildings give a medal to all Tier 1 and 2 units – this includes Irregulars if they have that rank. (all of them except sphinxes)

Does this include class units?

The simplest and best solution IMO is to only grant XP for the kill

Why not just give each unit a value of XP it grants if defeated, and, at the end of combat, that XP is divided amongst the participants? The units form adventuring parties. Why not have them gain XP like them? It removes the need to grind, and makes sure support units can acquire XP at a reasonable rate. It also encourages people to use smaller stacks when attempting evolve strategies, adding an additional risk/reward/skill component to the game.

Gloweye

Does this include class units?

Yes. It only checks for the Tier 1/ Tier 2 Requisites.

That means there’s at least 2 races that can build Gold medal Scoundrels, which will evolve instantly.

JIntegrity

That means there’s at least 2 races that can build Gold medal Scoundrels, which will evolve instantly.

That’s awesome! Shame it requires so much infrastructure. At the point you could do this, couldn’t you just spam Assassins instead?

Gloweye

Yep. Or in one case, Silver Medal Sphinxes. So it’s not best, but hey, it’s possible!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.