Is this game ruined?

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Is this game ruined?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  jimmy 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sigil

The global-environment, classes, heroes, factions, empire building, thematic contrasts, art style…all look very good but once you get into combat and all of that buildup needs to culminate in an enjoyable and good looking combat experience all you get is almost non-existent micro-second animations and poorly detailed effects of abilities.

Sorry but I’m just not feeling it, when I was watching the videos of Final Fantasy XIV Realm Reborn and Might&Magic Heroes 6 I just knew I’m gonna have a great time because of all the juicy animations and effects but here, this vital aspect is just missing.

Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this game.

Red Key

Thats nice

We heard you already… This guy keeps starting threads about the same thing. Don’t take him seriously.

sigil

Well, this will bite the game on its ass in terms of sales figures so…it kinda is important!

And don’t you at least think that spells look too abstract and diluted?

NEHZ

If it’s that important, why do you discourage people to take you seriously by opening a new thread while there already is an old thread on this very topic?

Edit: I don’t know if spells were mentioned in that thread so I’ll respond to that one.
    The spells didn’t look abstract to me. The stoning spell for instance, what would you like different for that? I do hope not an increase in duration, since that’s what I really disliked about spells in final fantasy. Or is it another specific spell that you feel troubled by?

Fogcrow

I like my animations fast and straightforward, like “stoning” in AoW:SM(the AoW3 version from the video was to slow for me, it didn´t feel like the stones hit the target with enough force).

Yay! Another animation thread by sigil!

No. If anything, I hope the animations are short enough that we don’t have to wait for them to finish, to continue playing. Coming from the MP crowd, one of the most common annoyances was waiting for archers to finish shooting and, thus, prolonging the TCs needlessly.

Murcelago

It’s 5th thread about animation started by sigil. Wow, what a tenacity! Don’t listen to those haters, dude, I believe in you! You can do it! Go for 10 threads, no, 20! Damn, even 100! It’s all in your hands, don’t lose faith in yourself!

War Troll

Did someone actually use the term ‘great time’ in conjunction with heroes of might and magic 6? Did they use the disc as a frisbee?

To answer the op’s question- no. To give a longer answer- no, and stop wasting everyone’s time.

Sigil and his repetitive rhetoric have outstayed their welcome I think. He’s an agitator, not a critic.

Murcelago

Did someone actually use the term ‘great time’ in conjunction with heroes of might and magic 6? Did they use the disc as a frisbee?

I had some great time with homm6 when I used the disc to create a sunbeam for neighbours cat. That damn thing is so stupid! I mean game, not cat.

RedDino

LOL, Murcelago and WarTroll, I´m again with you! I never understood how someone could play homm while there existed a game like AoW.
    To op´s question: Read WarTroll´s answer 😉

BlaneckW

The global-environment, classes, heroes, factions, empire building, thematic contrasts, art style…all look very good

I’m sure they appreciate your saying so.
    If they put long long animations in, I hope they’re in their own files so I can delete them. Movies too, actually, since they sometimes have compatibility issues.

First of all, I think the animations in AoW3 looks fine. They may look slightly better in Might&Magic Heroes 6, but the whole battle field and the way units fight looks very unrealistic compared to AoW3, which is the first fantasy TBS game I know of with a realistic looking true 3D battlefield. So all in all AoW3 battles look far better than battles in MMH6, which looks more like a chessboard with fantasy figures.
    Not that I really have anything against MMH6, I find it an ok game (it is just not a great game like AoW3 will be).
    If you want to see a game with bad animations and really outdated graphics you should have a look at dominions 4… and yet it is going to be a popular game like the previous version.

Because REAL STRATEGY GAMERS DON’T CARE (much) ABOUT GRAPHICS!

What really matter is the gameplay, and the gameplay in dominions is quite good and therefore people continue to play new versions of it despite the primitive graphics.

I have always found the graphics in AoW games quite beautiful, but what really made my play and love the games were the gameplay (and to some degree the lore and stories in the campaigns which are also good). The good graphics are just an added bonus.

sigil

They may look slightly better in Might&Magic Heroes 6, but the whole battle field and the way units fight looks very unrealistic compared to AoW3, which is the first fantasy TBS game I know of with a realistic looking true 3D battlefield.

Yes, and they had to ruin that evolution of the genre with super short underwhelming animations and diluted spell effects.
    This is quite tragic actually since we only get a couple of games like this in a decade.

Also I’m not sure if there is any real benefit with realistically scaled environments.
    In MMH6 everything looked very sharp, with no giant banners to remind you where are the units because you couldn’t see them, there were physical obstacles, traps and shrines which gave different benefits.

I’m really trying to like this game because they are so rare but the combat in MMH6 just feels light years ahead of it in terms of graphics, animations, ability and spell effects, tactical depth, creature and faction variety, the significance of your hero’s gear, etc.etc..

sigil

You keep saying this but you never substantiate it with anything so it’s just a meaningless and tiresome assertion, belonging in the category of psychological derangement of fanboyism variety rather than a proper coherent dialog between adults..

War Troll

You keep saying this but you never substantiate it with anything so it’s just a meaningless and tiresome assertion,

Firstly, I’ve never made a post mentioning Heroes 6 before so quite how you think I ‘keep saying this’ is baffling. Secondly, your repeated threads on this subject are the very definition of tiresome assertions. The same cannot be said of me, for I only need to do it once.

belonging in the category of psychological derangement of fanboyism variety rather than a proper coherent dialog between adults..

Of the six topics you’ve made sigil five of them have been about animations and how you don’t like them. What are you expecting by making another? Do you value your own opinion so highly you feel the need to constantly repeat it? I would strongly urge you to look at your own attitudes before decrying that of others.

jimmy

I’m relieved to read other forum users are already noticing your behavior, so I don’t need to explain again.

View your own started threads and see the pattern:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs8dw7mxlo2bqg8/Screenshot%202013-09-23%2014.22.26.png

Now, I don’t have anything against a valid complaint, but if you dislike this game so much, why are you still here? You can’t seem to help yourself and repeat the same points over and over.

Sigil, consider this your last warning. If I receive another complaint about you, it’s a permanent ban.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is this game ruined?’ is closed to new replies.