Lag Issues (Offline pay)

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Help & Support General Tech Issues Lag Issues (Offline pay)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Epaminondas 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

DauntlessK

On my first play, I’ve been having massive lag issues. The game appears to stutter, the main menu screen (the parallax background scroll) is very fragmented; not smooth at all, and this continues into the main map in my offline rmg game. It isn’t game breaking but it is annoying, to say the least.

My graphics were set at high, and I tried lowering them to low and there was no noticeable difference. Now before you ask, my computer is built to run games far more intense than this. Below are some specs.
    Is anyone else having these issues?

Computer specs: i5 3570k@3.8 ghz, 8gb DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD 7850 with 2 gb VRAM.

Rymdkejsaren

I have this same issue, and my computer runs more demanding games than AoWIII. I have a sneaking suspicion the game is running on the onboard graphics as opposed to the dedicated graphics card. And I cannot find anywhere to select a graphics adapter. Any ideas for resolving this?

DauntlessK

I have this same issue, and my computer runs more demanding games than AoWIII. I have a sneaking suspicion the game is running on the onboard graphics as opposed to the dedicated graphics card. And I cannot find anywhere to select a graphics adapter. Any ideas for resolving this?

Never thought about that. What graphics card are you using?

Rymdkejsaren

I tried forcing it to run on my Nvidia card instead with the Nvidia settings, which made the game take ages to load. The menu screen ran smoothly for about 3 seconds and then the game crashed.

Rymdkejsaren

This was probably a result of me updating the graphics driver at the same time. I will report when I try again after I am done. 😀

DauntlessK

I tried forcing it to run on my Nvidia card instead with the Nvidia settings, which made the game take ages to load. The menu screen ran smoothly for about 3 seconds and then the game crashed.

Interesting. For me, almost all screens are very laggy, and even typing text (example, searching in the wiki) is very slow and fragmented. The map screen is very laggy and the only thing that works somewhat well is actually the tactical battles. While not amazing, it seems to work better than everything else.

Have you seen any difference in tactical battles?

Rymdkejsaren

Success! By adding the aow3.exe file to the Nvidia control panel and switching the default to the Nvidia card, the game now runs a lot better.

Awaras

I have the same problems on my i5-3210M laptop with 8GB RAM and geforce 630m graphics. The game would default to the integrated graphics instead. Switching to gforce would give me better performance, but I still get very choppy (I guess ‘fragmented’ is the word?) scrolling – I get intervals of a few second of smooth fps separated by choppiness…

I tried updating my drivers but it didn’t help.
    Surprisingly my nominally weaker desktop (AMD A6-3670, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6570) runs the game almost completely smooth.

Rymdkejsaren

Tactical battles run smoothly as well. I still wish I could control this in the game settings though. Anyway, I am gone… playing!

DauntlessK

Success! By adding the aow3.exe file to the Nvidia control panel and switching the default to the Nvidia card, the game now runs a lot better.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try adding this later (I’m at work 🙁 )

paingame

I am having the same issues with my nvidia graphics card. Normally i play far more demanding games without any troubles. Turning all settings to low improved the fps lag in the menu somewhat but ingame i still get terrible fps lag. I downloaded the game via steam. How do i force the game to use my nvidia card (as it seemed to have improved the issue for at least one of you)

Thanks in advance.

DauntlessK

I am having the same issues with my nvidia graphics card. Normally i play far more demanding games without any troubles. Turning all settings to low improved the fps lag in the menu somewhat but ingame i still get terrible fps lag. I downloaded the game via steam. How do i force the game to use my nvidia card (as it seemed to have improved the issue for at least one of you)

Thanks in advance.

All graphics cards come with a program that you can use to force specific settings on different games (among other graphical settings, like monitor settings, etc). I’m not familiar with Nividia, but it should have a program (try nvidia control panel) where you can mess with these settings. There will be options for it in there. Sorry I can’t give more specific instructions.

DauntlessK

Thanks in advance.

Try This:
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT051526

paingame

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>paingame wrote:</div>

Thanks in advance.

Try This:

Thanks!
    This drastically improved my performance. It runs smoothly now on highest settings.

neondrop

After adding Aow3.exe manually to 3d Application Settings in CCC, it really seems to have improved the performance. But my FPS still go down a chunk when I select a stack of units and try to move them around.

Balancer

The same applies to me as well with a 6870 Amd card on an i5 with 8g rams on win 8.1 64 bit.

didnt think to apply the settings to the CCC as for the group selection thingie its the same in another thread.

I am at work now so i will try it when i get home maybe a dev after the hectic initial hours can spare a suggestion or so?

where in the CCC is the forcing to play with the graphics card?

Epaminondas

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DauntlessK wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>paingame wrote:</div><br>

Thanks in advance.

Try This:

Thanks!<br>
    This drastically improved my performance. It runs smoothly now on highest settings.

I tried this, but I don’t get “2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program.” I get “2. Specify the settings for this program” instead. So how can I tell if AoW 3 is running on Nvdia or integrated graphics on my machine?

DauntlessK

Mine still really seems to struggle. I have no idea what is up and it’s really frustrating. Is there someone, a dev or a mod that can comment on this? It is ridiculous that my machine, which can play something like bioshock infinite on highest settings, struggles to play AOW3.

I’ve added the exe to CCC and still it is very crappy.

tw

The game is extremely laggy on some hardware configurations and it’s a software problem (unoptimized game, bugs, etc.) so there’s nothing you can do. I also have problems with frame rate to the extent that I’m not even going to play the game until this issue is solved. I wonder how on earth an issue like this didn’t come up during the beta.

DauntlessK

Alright after going through my own dx log, I noticed that there were many memory warnings / issues popping up. “Leaking memory” was a recurring issue. Below this it says how much available, and what the game is using, or what is being used… not exactly sure (it says “in use bytes”) and the number is always extremely low. aka 192,972.

This is causing the lag issue and I think other people are having the same problems. I don’t know if that number is supposed to be in kb or whatever. (Would still be ridiculously low)

As I said, my computer has 8GB RAM, and I’m not running much in the background.

So I did a test. In the windows task manager, if you switch to processes tab, you can “allocate” more memory to a program. You can do this by right clicking the process and making it a higher priority. I can tell you that my game was incredibly laggy and nothing graphically fixed it. Everything was slow, from panning, to typing, to animations. (The exception being for whatever reason tactical combat)

After moving this up in the priority (So it gave it more memory) the game was very smooth. What is going on that this thing isn’t getting enough memory? Or why? I guess this is a temporary fix…

Hopefully this helps everyone with the same issues.

Epaminondas

Alright after going through my own dx log, I noticed that there were many memory warnings / issues popping up. “Leaking memory” was a recurring issue. Below this it says how much available, and what the game is using, or what is being used… not exactly sure (it says “in use bytes”) and the number is always extremely low. aka 192,972.

This is causing the lag issue and I think other people are having the same problems. I don’t know if that number is supposed to be in kb or whatever. (Would still be ridiculously low)

As I said, my computer has 8GB RAM, and I’m not running much in the background.

So I did a test. In the windows task manager, if you switch to processes tab, you can “allocate” more memory to a program. You can do this by right clicking the process and making it a higher priority. I can tell you that my game was incredibly laggy and nothing graphically fixed it. Everything was slow, from panning, to typing, to animations. (The exception being for whatever reason tactical combat)

After moving this up in the priority (So it gave it more memory) the game was very smooth. What is going on that this thing isn’t getting enough memory? Or why? I guess this is a temporary fix…

Hopefully this helps everyone with the same issues.

Ok, I will try that later.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.