Laptops/air macs

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Laptops/air macs

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ellajamess 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ricparr

Hi all,

Does anyone play aow 3 on a small <13 laptop? Perhaps a 11-12 inch laptop?

I travel a lot and need a very portable laptop for work, but would also like to do some PBEM on the go.

Does anyone have experiance with this in terms of performance/playability on a small screen? I’m looking at laptops like an apple air book 11 or dell xps 13. Tho if any small laptops older and therefore cheaper can run it on on at least medium I’d love to spend less!

m007kuzya

My laptop is Samsung ATIV 9 (12” – 1600×900). With low quality graphics setting – Aow3 works norm, and i play with all pleasure from game.

Gloweye

I’ve only got a 5 year old laptop, and can play only lowest settings. I’ve got some 3.8 GB Physical Memory, and maybe the first quad-core in existence. It’s an Acer Aspire 5750 G.

also use an Acer Aspire (V3-571G) with intel i5 Core.
    Game works fine on low graphic settings and using simultaneous turns helps a lot to speed up longer games (but that is a general issue I guess)

ricparr

Thanks guys. That Samsung isn’t available in the EU. Dang

cbower

I run PBEM on my mac as well as my pc. My mac is a macbook pro 15 inch, 2.5 ghz i7, 16 MB of ram. It works for PBEM, but I have noticed it can be resource intensive. It can be slow at times on some of the larger setups. I try to reduce the other software I am running while playing, which helps mitigate some slowness issues. One thing to note, If you start a long turn on a PC and you go to play it on the Mac it will tell you that you have to restart and vice versa. ( I triggered like 3 restarts once figuring it was just a bug in the game.) So which ever device you start a turn with you will want to finish it, or else you will lose your progress for the turn, and trigger a restart alert of ironman mode.

Bob5

I can play it just fine on my laptop, but I noticed the game isn’t very easy to use if you try to use touch screen input, the game isn’t optimized for that. You need to double tapnfor instance to navigate the menu, single tapping only revealing thr mouse over displays. If you are good with the laptop touchpad or bring a usb mouse along that shouldn’t be a problem though

IMO it is better to buy a laptop that you can use for the near future. As Windows 10 upgrades, more security and additional “features” will be added, which will eat up your computer’s RAM. A Dell XPS 13 would be quite “future proof” (it is expensive but a great machine; make sure you upgrade to the 256 GB SSD if you need it).

If you are on a tighter budget, the ASUS Zenbook UX305FA should be able to run AoW3 on the lower settings (though perhaps with a bit of lag and/or heat).

If you are on a really tight budget you could look around yourself. IMO the specs you should need to run AoW3 on lower settings & Windows 10 with reasonable frame rate would be…

i5 3rd generation processor
    4GB RAM (this is the current minimum but may rise with more Windows 10 upgrades)
    (The video cards on modern laptops tend correspond to the processor, so you shouldn’t need to worry about this too much)

This would run the game but with low-ish FPS.

Also make sure you buy at least a cheap cooling pad. AoW3 can heat up a laptop quickly and certain laptops generate more heat than others.

Trca3

ASUS
    Model X553MA-SX371B
    Procesor Intel Celeron N2840 2.16GHz (Burst to 2.58GHz, 1MB cache, 2 jezgra)
    Memorija 4GB DDR3L
    Hard disk 500GB SATA 5400rpm
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics
    OS 8.1

Can this support aow 3?

Bob5

ASUS
    Model X553MA-SX371B
    Procesor Intel Celeron N2840 2.16GHz (Burst to 2.58GHz, 1MB cache, 2 jezgra)
    Memorija 4GB DDR3L
    Hard disk 500GB SATA 5400rpm
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics
    OS 8.1

Can this support aow 3?

Should be able to on lowest graphics settings, it’ll just take a while to boot and load. It will struggle a bit with the LevelEd and the Mod Editor though.

Trca3

Ah thanks,i ordered this laptop few days ago so i’m checking what i can play on it.Wouldn’t mind to play this awesome game on lowest settings xd.Thx for the answer,oh and i’m sorry for bad typing in last comment,i’m doing this from my phone xd.Cheers!

ricparr

Hey guys,

So I think I’m gonna get this laptop. It’s mostly for work, but just to be sure, do you reckon this will run aow?

Technical details
    HP ENVY 13-d008na Laptop
    Intel® Core™ i5-6200U with Intel® HD Graphics 520 (2.3 GHz, up to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
    8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (onboard)
    Display size (diagonaL
    33.8 cm (13.3″) diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
    Intel® HD Graphics 520

lucaluca

It still lags a bit during simultaneous turns on my Alienware 16 GB Ram quad core… And it did not run on integrated graphics… You need a good computer for this game. Compared, paradox games and even Starcraft 2 run better

Bob5

Lag during simultaneous is not because of your hardware but because the game is turn-based, everything is queued, if someone else is moving his/her troops your action won’t start until after that movement is completed. In SP you can notice the lag disappearing once all the AI’s have finished their turn.

Edit: ricparr, I’m fairly sure that can handle it, experiment a bit with the graphics to see what it runs smoothly on.

ellajamess

Its a great one and also a beautifully crafted one. looking forward for more from this website. I read all of article of the site the article was very nice go and check it out! NetWorthBox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.