Leader Customization & Specializations

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Leader Customization & Specializations

This topic contains 48 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  rilian-la-te 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

So I’ve been thinking in ways that we could Customize our main leaders, just like the heroes, with some small abilities. So I thought, what if each specialization granted the Leader a small and unique buff/ability (preferable something that he is unable to get from most others classes), something like this:

– Water Adept: +20% Cold Protection
    – Water Master: Frost Shards

– Fire Adept: +20 Fire Protection
    – Fire Master: Fire Spit

– Air Adept: +20% Shock Protection
    – Air Master: Lightning Shock

– Earth Adept: Throw Stones Or +1 Def
    – Earth Master: +2 DEF Or Hurl Boulder.

– Destruction Adept: +20% Blight Protection
    – Destruction Master: Poison Split

– Creation Adept: +20% Spirit Protection
    – Creation Master: Spirit Blast

– Explorer: Free Movement? Extra Vision?
    – Partisan: Invisibility? Some sort of Concealment?
    – Expander: These one is trickier…maybe build Road/Tower (like the Halfling Hero)? or something different.

– Keeper Adept: Evil Slayer
    – Keeper Master: Meditate

– Shadowborn Adept: Good Slayer
    – Shadowborn Master: Life Steal

– Grey Guard Adept: Defender? Shield? Or something on that line.
    – Grey Guard Master: Extra Crit-thingy Or Good and Evil Slayer.

– Wild Magic Adept: Inflict Degenerate (reducing random element resist on attack for a little bit)
    – Wild Magic Maste: This unit gains +2 attack for a random element at the start of each combat, for the duration of that combat (as Gloweye’s suggestion).

That would be a fun way to improve your leaders, not sure if mine suggestions are balanced, if not maybe something enterely different. But I would like to see the IDEIA in work.

Arlow

i like this, have been jealous of my minions with meditate, haha

Gloweye

I like them, and IMO in most cases the balance isn’t bad. Also, because it’s one unit (one unit that tends to get the best item upgrades, and to level most), it’s impact may be so minor that it doesn’t disrupt balance to much.

Oh, and with the Copy/Paste of Destruction into Creation you forgot a change.

Oh yeah, thanks Gloweye! I can not change, but yeah it should be Creation. And mine thoughts exactly. It would only improve a bit the early game of the Leader and grant a bit more variety. But by mid/late game it would make very little difference!

Sindir

Like this too ^^

Gloweye

esvath

+1 for this. More customisation is better!

alexej

Great idea indeed.

Lycutena

– Earth Master: +20% Physical Protection

Your idea sounds interesting, but I want to tell you that physical protection is one of the more rare types of protection. It’s possible to achieve 100% protections to all elements, but not as easy as with pushing physical protection to 100%. With this trait, it’ll be easier to get 100% physical protection. I’m not sure that’s a good thing, seeing how common physical damage is.

Additionally, warlord and dreadnaught leaders would be able to get 40% passive physical protection. Then you could hire a rogue hero for shadow form buff, boosting it to 100% physical protection unless dispelled.

Fenraellis

Perhaps just a few free points of Defense? It would be functionally similar to having 20% Physical Protection(-10/15% check strength against Physical abilities would actually be stronger than 20% Protection in most cases) in most cases except for the fact of making it more difficult to attain immunity.

3 Def, as the example continues is the difference between taking 15 damage and 12 damage, so it would actually be equal or stronger against any attacks of 15 or less damage, than 20% Protection would have been. Realistically against a mid/late game Leader, you would probably be shooting for over 15 Def anyway(requiring a 20 strength attack to even deal 15 damage). I usually try to get closer to 17~20+, gear depending.

AbednegoJC

I like this idea

Azghall

Thats a nice Leader customization, but i also want my Leader be a hero that i can pick, like the others Default Leaders when i’m not playing with him (If you Leader is not Ekko The Explosive you can pick him as a hero).

And you should have some points to choose from a list of abilities and atributes, but those only works for heroes not leader. Like that Halfling Sorcerer with Illusionist (Party Invisibility) 15 points.

Lycutena

I don’t have a problem with 20% physical protection, but I’m afraid I’ll just use that as an excuse to break the game legitimately as I play to win according to the game mechanics then start over.

3 defense points sound good, although I’ll be honest, I’ll try to min-max that and compare that to a jack-of-all trades hero. So far, I find jack-of-all trades to be weaker than specializing a hero unit as he/she can usually only commit to one action (cast one spell, engage in melee, shoot with range weapon).

Gloweye

I think 2 points of Def might be good for Mastery, or even 1 if one Adept.

Motasa

Nice idea. Would make picking a specialization even more interesting with such passive boosts.

emky

It could be, instead of being inherent, starting with a Common or Strong item of that ability, so it doesn’t alter the top-end.

I know I’d love to start with the item that grants Tunneling.

Zaskow

Good suggestion! I like it.

I agree with you all, 20% of Physical Protection is waaay better than most others things on the list. I Think 2 Def on Master could work.

Also, I forget Wild Magic school 😡

esvath

Wild Magic Adept: +1 resistance
    Wild Magic Master: inflict Degenerate

cbower

Wild Magic Adept: +1 resistance
    Wild Magic Master: inflict Degenerate

Have to make inflict degenerate stackable of course

cbower

I agree with the others above, I really like this idea.

Gloweye

Wild Magic Master: This unit gains +2 attack for a random element at the start of each combat, for the duration of that combat.

Fits in with the random theme.

esvath

Wild Magic Master: This unit gains +2 attack for a random element at the start of each combat, for the duration of that combat.

Oooh… this is nice!

Then I modified my previous suggestion:

Wild Magic Adept: Inflict Degenerate (reducing random element resist on attack for a little bit)
    Wild Magic Maste: This unit gains +2 attack for a random element at the start of each combat, for the duration of that combat (as Gloweye’s suggestion).

I like both ideias for Wild Magic 😀

Since it got a fair amount of people liking the ideia (and no dislikes) can someone summon Tombies attention to the thread? (or by mentioning his name I’m already summoning him? :x)

esvath

It is weekend, we don’t have enough CP to cast Summon Triumph. Add more posters to this thread to gain +5 CP!

Shakey

I also like the idea.

Some additional thoughts:

Water Master: Swimming.
    Fire Master: Lava Walking.
    Earth Master: Cave Crawling.

Fenraellis

Pah, go full on silly. +2 attack for a random element, and changing each turn in combat!

bump the Thread, would really love to see it happening :3

Also about Swimming, Lava Walking, Cave Crawling It is harder because things like swimming are really good, and things like cave crawling is just situational. It is easier to make more balanced with Elemental Protections/Def. But It is not a bad ideia.

The problem with going random every turn in combat it is probably harder for the Devs to do it (i think) but it would fit with the specialization!

NuMetal

I really like this idea.
    It’d be a great and flavorful addition! +1

No defence for Earth, let’s make it more interesting, give + 2 gold per gold mine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.