Let’s Play Video revealing Archdruid and Random Maps

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Let’s Play Video revealing Archdruid and Random Maps

This topic contains 47 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Jorlox 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Low_K

Tombles will be in every one of my scenarios. Either as city (as people who know my
    previous maps, I always manually name every city) or as hero.

I watched this video around a dozen times, as well as the German playthrough videos, and I just can’t wait for the next two. I noticed that Tombles “loosened” up in this last video, no doubt because of the praise ( 😉 ), as he was more relaxed in narrating, the previous videos were very enjoyable, but also a bitmore official with less jokes and “gasps”.

Please post the last two videos soon…

Kind regards,

Low

pugastrius

One thing that I noticed that was very concerning is when you went into the tactical combat it announced: “Rescar Scapeshaper attacked Independents” (@6:50 mark)

Does this mean that if it were a multi-player game everyone would get to (and be forced to) watch?

The announcement wouldn’t be necessary if I was just playing solo.

I always dreaded being forced to watch other people’s combat and it revealed way too much information about your opponents.

Low_K

@pugastrius; Yes, I think the mechanic of watching another human player’s battle is still in multiplayer. However, as the signs are there, I think due to the smaller tactical
    battle-map and the flanking/backstabbing mechanic, watching battles of other humans is not as tedious as some of the battesin Shadow Magic could be as they will complete much faster methinks.

As for revealing the forces of your enemy, that cannot be helped, although you might want to select the option to only watch battles between humans.

Kind regards,

Low

do-yeon_kim

This great video is making me more and more impatient..
    Have been a fan of AoW series since 2001. AoW3 seems to be moving away from AoW2 and toward AoW, which is good for me.
    A couple of worries though..in Aow or AoW2, heroes become too powerful so the end-game quickly turns into heroes wars leaving less rooms for normal units. I kinda hated this. The attack/defense point is only 1 in the video and if either player in a game minmaxed it, the endgame would quickly turn into to an arena of superpower heroes. In AoW1, at around lvl13-15, heroes could max attk/def, and this was frustrating cause ,in campaign or scenario, AI was so dumb that AI couldnt take down my heroes so in the mid of a game, the game got too easy..
    I guess there needs a cap in hero growth or higher points are needed for stats. I had to rely on Warlocks Mod which provides hero customization with limited def maxing by 6 and attk maxing by 8 as far as I remember. 8 out of 10 points are needed to raise a def stat in Warlock Mod which is 5/10 in TS rule set.

And I agree with Kazellion. There still needs to play in a good alignment in a game. In this new system, a player can easily be on evil alignment. Declaring war/following running monsters make a player be an evil quite easily. If following running monsters is discouraged by alignment penalty, players will have hard time raising their heroes levels..

Low_K

@do-yeon_kim; Heroes could get powerhouses in Shadow Magic (the game I played the most), but iirc there was a level limit for heroes in the editor, which I always turned on in my scenarios.

Yet, with certain items/weapons, heroes could still get powerhouses.

In AoW3 I hope the addition of flanking and backstabbing makes even the most powerful hero vulnerable, while there are no misses anymore. Looking at the video, especially the battle between the Draconian Flyers and Troll, the Flyer did 3 times around 18 damage with its full attacks. No doubt enhanced by charging (if Flyers have this),
    backstabbing/flanking and maybe more bonuses. The Troll with an armour of 15 was reduced to only 22 HP. If this can happen to a level 3 creature, maybe the heroes really should be cautious because ganging up on them would still spell doom. And the AI gangs up on stunned or weak units, as seen in a German Playthrough video.So if the hero is stunned, I am afraid he is in big trouble.

Ofcourse only the final version will tell if heroes can become unstoppable powerhouses, but with the raised HPs (SM had max 20 HP iirc), the battles might be more balanced than you think.

Kind regards,

Low

Epaminondas

A couple of worries though..in Aow or AoW2, heroes become too powerful so the end-game quickly turns into heroes wars leaving less rooms for normal units. I kinda hated this. The attack/defense point is only 1 in the video and if either player in a game minmaxed it, the endgame would quickly turn into to an arena of superpower heroes.

Yes, and don’t forget we now have smaller stacks–thus magnifying the relative power of heroes. Hence, I said elsewhere that I am afraid we are going to end up with “Age of Heroes” (or “Heroes of Wonders”).

The game looks polished and beautiful; but I really do not like where the tactical combat is going (simplified and faster).

Edit: What I will end up doing is modding and boosting lower tier units A LOT (which is needed to slow the pace of combat anyways–aside from worries about “Age of Heroes” syndrome).

do-yeon_kim

@do-yeon_kim; Heroes could get powerhouses in Shadow Magic (the game I played the most), but iirc there was a level limit for heroes in the editor, which I always turned on in my scenarios.

Yet, with certain items/weapons, heroes could still get powerhouses.

In AoW3 I hope the addition of flanking and backstabbing makes even the most powerful hero vulnerable, while there are no misses anymore. Looking at the video, especially the battle between the Draconian Flyers and Troll, the Flyer did 3 times around 18 damage with its full attacks. No doubt enhanced by charging (if Flyers have this),<br>
    backstabbing/flanking and maybe more bonuses. The Troll with an armour of 15 was reduced to only 22 HP. If this can happen to a level 3 creature, maybe the heroes really should be cautious because ganging up on them would still spell doom. And the AI gangs up on stunned or weak units, as seen in a German Playthrough video.So if the hero is stunned, I am afraid he is in big trouble.

Ofcourse only the final version will tell if heroes can become unstoppable powerhouses, but with the raised HPs (SM had max 20 HP iirc), the battles might be more balanced than you think.

Kind regards,

Low

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>do-yeon_kim wrote:</div>
    A couple of worries though..in Aow or AoW2, heroes become too powerful so the end-game quickly turns into heroes wars leaving less rooms for normal units. I kinda hated this. The attack/defense point is only 1 in the video and if either player in a game minmaxed it, the endgame would quickly turn into to an arena of superpower heroes.

Yes, and don’t forget we now have smaller stacks–thus magnifying the relative power of heroes. Hence, I said elsewhere that I am afraid we are going to end up with “Age of Heroes” (or “Heroes of Wonders”).

The game looks polished and beautiful; but I really do not like where the tactical combat is going (simplified and faster).

Edit: What I will end up doing is modding and boosting lower tier units A LOT (which is needed to slow the pace of combat anyways–aside from worries about “Age of Heroes” syndrome).

Thank you guys for lessening my worries. I hope the new combat system: flanking/no miss contribute to deterring our heroes rampaging across the map.
    Even with all the systems, I sill cant get the possibility of super-power heroes out of mind.. in the Theocrat video lvl1 hero with the help of other two tier1-2 units took down a tier 4 bone dragon.. in th e archdruid video, the case looks quite similar.. I fear in mid-game or end-game, I don’t have to produce other units that developers have put much effort and time to create and rely only on my superpower heroes, making the game “Age of Heroes” or “Heroes of Wonders” like Epaminondas said. Minmaxing our heroes can be even more intensified in multi-player games, as the basic goal is victory. I remember in AoW1, I always got regeneration as my initial ability. and after every turn my heroes became as good as new to continue their road to become superpower heroes.. I liked regeneration ability and I hope this ability is featured but there needs to be some caps for heroes growth..

p.s. I thought warg is a wolf in LotR. lol. I liked the video. piggy doggy and a troll 😀

Elathan

Actually although the Theocract link isn’t done yet, we’ve actually have video of the theocract in action and art work showing its units.

The first video on this site was of a theocract I believe, you see cruasaders and evangelists and exalted in action fighting a undead dragon.

True! Sorry, i didn’t remember. That was almost a year ago.

Anyway, my first leader will be a Theocrat. But i am not sure witch race should i pick first.

Yinello

There are 2 things that made me ridiculously happy with this update:

1. A lady Dwarf Druid

2. this quote: To master the forces of nature, they do not blindly protect life, for death is the natural consequence of life.

I am so sick on nature-dwelling beings in all games being extreme on saving and protecting living things. So for the druid to accept death is just awesome.

terrahero

@ GreyCap its an evil act, but the alignment ‘penalty’ differs if you have peace or are neutral. Of course in the end all your actions will make up if your evil or not. So you can make up for it :D

I have my doubts about declaring war always being an act of evil.

It would force Good players into a more passive role, to try and “bait” out a war instead of just being free to do so. Because they dont want to be evil, or are otherwise forced to be a little evil.

And not all wars would be evil, now would they? What if you are Good and you declare war on someone who is Evil? Is that still considered an act of Evil?

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Callynn

Pls don’t release this within 3 months I won’t be able to finish my thesis! XD

jefkos

both awesome vids and now i really cant wait till this comes out. and with the release date not far heres hoping for a demo to make me even more crazy for the release 🙂

@ Epinamondas,

without getting into trouble and saying stuff that I am not allowed to, let me just say, this combat is the best we’ve had yet.

Low_K gets it:

“In AoW3 I hope the addition of flanking and backstabbing makes even the most powerful hero vulnerable, while there are no misses anymore. Looking at the video, especially the battle between the Draconian Flyers and Troll, the Flyer did 3 times around 18 damage with its full attacks. No doubt enhanced by charging (if Flyers have this),
    backstabbing/flanking and maybe more bonuses. The Troll with an armour of 15 was reduced to only 22 HP. If this can happen to a level 3 creature, maybe the heroes really should be cautious because ganging up on them would still spell doom. And the AI gangs up on stunned or weak units, as seen in a German Playthrough video.So if the hero is stunned, I am afraid he is in big trouble”

@ Low-K, yes, Flyers have charge.

Flanking makes the game…intense.

Draxynnic

Yeah, the fact that every attack deals damage, however small (unless immunities are in play) means that we won’t see heroes that are virtually invulnerable. They’ll get worn down. Eventually.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Arnout wrote:</div>
    @ GreyCap its an evil act, but the alignment ‘penalty’ differs if you have peace or are neutral. Of course in the end all your actions will make up if your evil or not. So you can make up for it :D

I have my doubts about declaring war always being an act of evil.

It would force Good players into a more passive role, to try and “bait” out a war instead of just being free to do so. Because they dont want to be evil, or are otherwise forced to be a little evil.

And not all wars would be evil, now would they? What if you are Good and you declare war on someone who is Evil? Is that still considered an act of Evil?

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Some would say being the aggressor is always evil regardless of circumstances…

That said, though, I imagine that the AoW3 equivalent of a ‘just war’ will grant opportunities to do good to offset the penalty for declaring war.

Tombles will have his very own facebook fanpage if this keeps up!

As far as having super heroes with stats, if you watch some of the gameplay you can see that leveling up a stat multiple times cost more points each time, so you get 5 points to spend, but if you grab 1 point in HP it cost 2 points to get a 2nd point in hp, and 3 level points to get a 3rd (as an example, don’t remember exactly how quick it scaled, I also didn’t catch if this carried across levels or reset during each level up).

Tombles will be in every one of my scenarios. Either as city (as people who know my previous maps, I always manually name every city) or as hero.

I am looking forward to play your scenarios! Your AOW:SM scenarios are very nice and putting Tombles in a scenario makes it probably very fun to play.

Pls don’t release this within 3 months I won’t be able to finish my thesis! XD

Lol and I won’t be able to supervise any thesis. I think the game will be bad for the productivity of many…

Jorlox

#RememberPorky

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.