LevelEd & Scripting Tutorials/Resources

Weโ€™ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Modding and Map Making LevelEd & Scripting Tutorials/Resources

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Fireprince 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

MarciaVB

I thought it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread with all the tutorials for the Level Editor and scripting, so we have a nice overview.

I’ve already put down some ideas for tutorials, if someone feels like making a tutorial for one of these (or something entirely else), drop a message in this topic. I think this might also be a nice place to request tutorials. For comments on the actual tutorials themselves, please keep it in the relevant topics, thanks!

LevelEd:

Scripting:

• Lua: Everything you need to know about the scripting language the editor uses.
    • Scripting Guide: Documentation about all the scripting handles available in the game.
    • Timers
    • New Scripts: Documentation about new scripts.

Markers

• Stack Area Triggers: Triggering events when players enter a specific area.
    • Item Triggers
    • Conditional Army Markers

Story Messages & Quests:

Custom Leaders/Items/…:

General:
    Tutorials/resources about story telling, map design, balancing, workflow… Doesn’t need to be Age of Wonders-specific.

Feel free to add feedback on how to keep this thread organized, request tutorials, add suggestions for good resources/tutorials.

Happy map making! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sunicle

I’ll try write a tutorial about adventure sets. Time is my problem, though. I hope my job will get a bit quieter after the Commonwealth games.
    Also I sometimes need a kick up my arse…

MarciaVB

@sunicle: Great idea for a tutorial! Just drop a new post here with the link to the tutorial, and I’ll include it in the first post.

Would be great if some members of the community would already write some tutorials before Steam Workshop arrives ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thariorn

MarciaVB

@thariorn: Thanks! Added it to the overview ๐Ÿ™‚

Thariorn

MarciaVB

@thariorn: added to the overview! Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

ffbj

Where is the command line information for low memory machines? It works but now I can’t find the thread where it is located.

ffbj

Found it: Open a command line cdm.exe and type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
    The line is case and space sensitive. It helps a lot on low memory machines.

Is there a way to set a time limit on a map?

I.e. reach point x in x turns.

Narvek
    Keymaster

Absolutely.

Make a Timer which runs x turns.
    When the Timer runs out do the PlayerSetDefeat script unless REACHED bool is true.

If point y is reached set REACHED bool to true.

For example.

And then add a quest for the player to remember this by.

Charlatan

I wanted to cover Terrain Tools, but since basic landscaping in LevelEd is so easy, I made a tutorial/guide for landscape details / tricks instead:

The missing Topic 3 will follow soon, but right now by migraine caught me.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/tutorial-terrain-tools-for-everyone/

Charlatan

Well this escalated a bit, but at Thariorn’s request I expanded on the Campaign Setup infos:

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/tutorial-campaign-editor-tool/

Charlatan

Not exactly a tutorial, but I guess it can be filed as “Level Editor resource” ? ^^

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/leader-icon-chart-for-mapmakers/

Eddycted

Curzon

How can you send messages when the game starts?

MarciVB, this was very helpful. Many many thanks. I’m up to speed on stack triggers and LUA. My scenario is well underway. I’m running into a challenge however.

My scenario requires a conversation between a leader and hero as soon as the game begins. I’m unable to find how to trigger this without having to move either first.

Is there a way to trigger events as soon the map renders?

Thanks

Gloweye

How can you send messages when the game starts?

You can trigger them with a timer, which can fire at the start of day one. You’ll need to hard-build your aliases though.

can someone help?
    im playing on mac
    i cant locate the map editor button for my launcher.

thx

Fireprince

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Fireprince.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.