[Linux/Mac] No GOG support

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions [Linux/Mac] No GOG support

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 64 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Sorax 6 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author

DesmondvanG

Hello,

today i read on steam that there will be no Linux or Mac Version for GOG costumers:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/0/540736965894462634/#c611703999967821455

I more then unhappy with how this worked out. I brought AOW 3 shortly after release for two reasons. Aow 1 and Aow 2 were great games and there was the possibility of a linux version of the game.

I can totally understand that Linux and Mac are no priority and have no problem of waiting some time before I can play them on my linux machine. So i was relay happy when you first officially announced a Linux Version:
    http://ageofwonders.com/tech-update-maclinux-port-steam-workshop-and-cloud-saves/

then there were two more updates on this topic:
    http://ageofwonders.com/upcoming-beta-maclinux-update/
    http://ageofwonders.com/eternal-lords-expansion-announced-coming-to-windows-mac-and-linux/

In none of these updates you said anything about that Linux and Mac will be steam only but you bring this as an argument in the steam forums to justify not realizing the Linux/Mac Version on GOG. To be honest i feel cheated.

Now I’m stuck with the choice of no DRM or playing on Linux and if i would decide to weight Linux more then DRM-free i need to buy the AOW 3 + Golden Realms again.

My critic summarized:
    – No clear statement that Linux/Mac support will be Steam only.
    – No statement about this in the GOG Forum or the triumph forum but only on steam.
    – No explanation why it is so hard to provide a GOG Linux/Mac version (most of the Linux Games on GOG are nothing more then a tar archive. I unpack them and start playing. Nothing fancy but it works.)

Right now I’m not buying Eternal Lords because of these things. But I’m open for discussion.

Stormwind

If your issue with Steam is playing offline, I can tell you that I have no problems playing offline at all. If I unplug the internet I get AoW running just fine. Steam also gives you access to a huge online community for MP games.

Honestly, even if the GoG version were free, I would pay for the Steam version just for the access to the virtual player lobby. For a relatively small player community like AoW its a must. But even if you dont play MP, I fail to see any issues.

Thariorn

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226840/discussions/0/540736965894462634/#c611703999967821455

As Lascha quoted there, It’s not currently on their road-map, but not entirely off the table.

Also, the main point is, that Linux/MAc is pretty much still in a beta state.

I’d guess that after MAc/Linux versions is stable and all, gog would be much more reasonable than while they still are under ‘heavy’ development. Unlike Steam, GoG just does not make things easy if you want(/have) to update your files thrice a week :S

Lennart Sas
    Keymaster

@desmondvang We hear you, the situation is not ideal. But let me explain – the costs of making a Linux build available DRM free is much higher than doing this via Steam for us. This is because we do not have the Steam Linux SDK to rely on, which contains standardized system DLLs. Without these we have a massive job in additional code, licensing, quality assurance and support. The full magnitude of these costs became clear later on in the porting process.

Then there is the added cost of maintaining and distributing the frequently updated DRM free builds along with the expansions.

The costs would be totally out of whack compared to the # of users.

CSav10

As far as steam play offline goes from what I understand, you still need to login to steam online no? you can just play games offline. So you need access to online to actually access the game every time you turn on your comp? Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

tuster

[…]

I more then unhappy with how this worked out.

[…]

My critic summarized:<br>
    – No clear statement that Linux/Mac support will be Steam only.<br>
    – No statement about this in the GOG Forum or the triumph forum but only on steam.<br>
    – No explanation why it is so hard to provide a GOG Linux/Mac version (most of the Linux Games on GOG are nothing more then a tar archive. I unpack them and start playing. Nothing fancy but it works.)

+1!

I especially don’t understand why Triumph doesn’t say a word about linux/mac on steam only on the latest blog entry. There is even no reaction on questions about it in the blogs comments. Several ppl asked about it and just got ignored :((

DesmondvanG

Thanks for the answers.

I have no problem with Steam. I have an extensive gaming library there but when ever possible I try to go DRM-Free.

As I wrote this is more a communications issue.

@ Lennart Sas: When I get it right Steam is providing a set of linux libraries for game developer? This would explain a lot. Clever marketing but I see a black future for Linux gaming beyond Steam. But in this case Triumph is not to blame for this issue. But I still criticizes the information flow from Triumph. If you had explained it this way from the moment on you knew the issue I wouldn’t have been upset in the beginning. (At least not on you guys 🙂 )

Thariorn

Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

You only need to have a connection to log-in Steam ONCE (Per 6 Months or something like that) and of course to download the game.

Steam Offline-Mode DOES NOT require you to log-in ONLINE Steam.

E.g., if I don’t have any internet tomorrow, all games I currently have installed on Steam are playable (apart from multiplayer only games, i.e Dota 2 without bots etc.)

Stormwind

Seconded what Tharion says, I think there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. I had this discussion before and even yanked out my internet cable to prove I could play on Steam without any problems.

I am not aware of any capabilities GoG gives you that Steam doesnt, but I am aware of several things Steam gives you.

I have nothing against GoG and I do own a few GoG games, but only the ones I could buy that were not available on Steam at the time. I bought MoM from GoG, though I didnt play because I was remembering it through rose colored glasses, it didnt hold up well vs say Shadow Magic.

Someone tell me something I can do with the GoG version that I cannot do with Steam. Certainly nothing that has come up for me so far after nearly a thousand hours of both SP and MP, during thunderstorms and cable outages.

DesmondvanG

This thread should not be about Steam vs GOG. Every one has there advantage and disadvantage. For example if I play a game from my Steam library my wife is unable to play game from the same library on here machine. On Steam both of us need to one the game while with a GOG game I can simple install it on here machine.

But the Topic of this thread is the missing communication of the issue of no Linux an Mac support for GOG by Triumph.

Sharpnessism

I think there are ways around the limited family share if you only intend to play single player only in Steam.

Gloweye

I am not aware of any capabilities GoG gives you that Steam doesnt, but I am aware of several things Steam gives you.

Basically, downloading the current installer allows me to install it in 30 years and play it without any problems.

Disadvantage is that you won’t be knowing whether a game gets updated/patched, though there might be a mail subscription system that I never bothered to discover.

tuster

@desmondvang We hear you, the situation is not ideal. But let me explain – the costs of making a Linux build available DRM free is much higher than doing this via Steam for us. This is because we do not have the Steam Linux SDK to rely on, which contains standardized system DLLs. Without these we have a massive job in additional code, licensing, quality assurance and support. The full magnitude of these costs became clear later on in the porting process.

Then there is the added cost of maintaining and distributing the frequently updated DRM free builds along with the expansions.

The costs would be totally out of whack compared to the # of users.

Thanks for the info. That beeing said, wouldn’t you agree this piece of information should be added to this blog entry?
    There, it still says that you can get AoW3 1.5 for all 3 OS on Steam OR GoG.. :/

PS: I’m a big fan of AoW, so I bought the steam version in addition to my day 1 GoG version in order to get Linux support. Other ppl might just be pissed off when they find out that you actually can’t play AoW3 on linux with the GoG version…

Stormwind

This thread should not be about Steam vs GOG. Every one has there advantage and disadvantage. For example if I play a game from my Steam library my wife is unable to play game from the same library on here machine. On Steam both of us need to one the game while with a GOG game I can simple install it on here machine.

But the Topic of this thread is the missing communication of the issue of no Linux an Mac support for GOG by Triumph.

The OP discussed GoG vs Steam in his post: “Now I’m stuck with the choice of no DRM or playing on Linux and if i would decide to weight Linux more then DRM-free i need to buy the AOW 3 + Golden Realms again.”

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stormwind wrote:</div>

Basically, downloading the current installer allows me to install it in 30 years and play it without any problems.

Disadvantage is that you won’t be knowing whether a game gets updated/patched, though there might be a mail subscription system that I never bothered to discover.

I am going to go out on a limb and speculate the game will not be playable on any OS made 30 years from now. And if it is, It will likely be a free download by then. Not something I think its reasonable to worry over right now.

DesmondvanG

The quote you took from my first post doesn’t even has the word Steam in it 😉

Also I summarised the main issue in the end of the opening post. It is about miscommunication. Triumph created in my eye the impression that GOG and Steam will have Linux support. They missed to state clearly that Linux and Mac is Steam only.

I bought the Game on GOG and Golden realms under the impression, that there will be an Linux version at some point in the future. At the relase of Golden Realms they already were working on the port therefore they could have already communicated that there will be no Linux version for GOG.

Lennart Sas already told us why this is the case. My personal wish for the future is that they make an announcement to clear up all of the confusion. I will wait for an Steam sale to buy a second copy of AoW3 if the issue is resolved.

Mourioche

Ho… this post turn my attention,

Since i’m on GoG because of the no-DRM politic (my opinion is that these shit must disappear from earth… I have already refused to buy some nice games just because of DRM inside),
    And since i plan to replace my win7 by a linux computer.

For now, i uses window because i need it for few programs designed only for this system.
    AoW3 on linux was for me a reason to change my “current OS” to a linux.

And here i learn i was wrong :[

Thanks DesmondvanG, you have warned me,
    You avoid me a great disappointment (and a near-unnecessary expense)

Stormwind

Well does it need the word Steam? ” “Now I’m stuck with the choice of no DRM or playing on Linux and if i would decide to weight Linux more then DRM-free i need to buy the AOW 3 + Golden Realms again.”

You have it on GoG, so by this I assume you mean you are stuck with the GoG no Linux version, or re-purchasing it, on Steam to play on Linux if you weigh Linux more than DRM-Free. I don’t see how else to interpret this.

You did ask for options, right? “Right now I’m not buying Eternal Lords because of these things. But I’m open for discussion.”

Brandon_354

Since i’m on GoG because of the no-DRM politic (my opinion is that these shit must disappear from earth… I have already refused to buy some nice games just because of DRM inside),<br>

For now, i uses window because i need it for few programs designed only for this system.<br>

Thanks DesmondvanG, you have warned me,<br>

It would be one thing if the drm didn’t let you play offline or was as poorly designed as EA often does them, (legitimate buyers faced anti-piracy measures) then I could sympathize with you. Steam however allows offline play and AoW 3 doesn’t implement some absurd anti-piracy measure for steam users so this just comes off as pouting, after all, in this case the only reason DRM would be bad is if you wanted to pirate the game.

Steam use to have it so that you had to check in at least once every 2 weeks, which is an ample amount of time if something temporary happens to your internet, but if you can’t afford an internet connection you probably can’t support your desktop’s portion of the electricity along with the upgrading/maintenance of it either, or even a new game (It is even worse if you cant get online at least once every 2 weeks while using a laptop as there are many places that offer free wifi).

Having said that they had talks about indefinite offline play awhile back and so perhaps that was implemented (I’ve never been offline long enough to know), and if it ever does go completely down (I doubt it since it is a gaming giant) then they would probably release a patch before it crashes to make it so that games didn’t have to check in instead of just laughing maliciously and screaming we screwed you guys hard at the top of their lungs.

Stormwind

Since i’m on GoG because of the no-DRM politic (my opinion is that these shit must disappear from earth… I have already refused to buy some nice games just because of DRM inside),<br>

For now, i uses window because i need it for few programs designed only for this system.<br>

Thanks DesmondvanG, you have warned me,<br>

I would really like to see you explain this more, because frankly I dont get it.

My purchase on Steam has not prevented me from doing anything at all that I wish to do.

What exactly are you trying to do,( that I apparently have no need for doing) that makes you so averse to this so-called “DRM”.

The only real application I can think of is the wish to pirate, and I assume we are all aware of what would happen if that became wide-speread, basically no more games at all because programmers need to eat (I know, I am one of them). So assuming you aren’t just out to buy once and distribute 100 times to all your friends, what exactly do you want to do that the DRM doesnt currently let you do?

I’m not trying to start a fight, I just see this type of visceral angry reaction and I have never understood it.

DesmondvanG

And so this became another Steam vs GOG thread 🙁

This is the end of my post:

My critic summarized:
    – No clear statement that Linux/Mac support will be Steam only.
    – No statement about this in the GOG Forum or the triumph forum but only on steam.

Right now I’m not buying Eternal Lords because of these things. But I’m open for discussion.

My problem is the bad communication on Triumphs side. They should told us that there is no GOG Linux/Mac version as soon as possible. Lennert Sas told us why there is no Linux-GOG version and this is a totally understandable argument. But the should have informed their customers. Because then we as a customer would be able to make a solid decision where to buy there game and unsatisfied customers would be avoided.

Regarding Steam, if you one two games (Game A and Game B) and you are playing Game A but your Brother/Sister/Spouse wants to play Game B it is not possible. Your library can only be used by one person at a time. If i have Game A and B from GOG or on CD/DVD i can just hand it over so that they can play Game B while i play Game A.
    Thats one Problem. – Steam is awesome on other fields but it is my choice to use it or not.

Stormwind

And so this became another Steam vs GOG thread :(

Regarding Steam, if you one two games (Game A and Game B) and you are playing Game A but your Brother/Sister/Spouse wants to play Game B it is not possible. Your library can only be used by one person at a time. If i have Game A and B from GOG or on CD/DVD i can just hand it over so that they can play Game B while i play Game A.<br>
    Thats one Problem. – Steam is awesome on other fields but it is my choice to use it or not.

This is NOT true.

All you need is to setup a second steam account and you can enable family sharing.

I have 2 computers in the same room and do it all the time. I can play game A, someone else can be playing game B.

Stormwind

Oh and here is the page for sharing steam games from a library:

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

DesmondvanG

I know familysharing. Did you ever tried it?

It has exactly the issue I described in my post. I’m using familysharing since it was in beta.

Low_K

@stormwind;

Desmond is right,

Family Sharing can only be done by one user at a time. So when I play Age of Wonders III, my daughter cannot play any game in my library. It tells her “in use by…”.

It is even in the FAQ you linked.

“Q:Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?

A:No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.”

I am pro Steam btw and really don’t understand all that DRM complaining. Steam works, and is a great system imho. Although I hope Family Sharing one day could changed to enable multiple users access the library at the same time.

Kind regards,

Low

Stormwind

@stormwind;

Desmond is right,

Family Sharing can only be done by one user at a time. So when I play Age of Wonders III, my daughter cannot play any game in my library. It tells her “in use by…”.

It is even in the FAQ you linked.

“Q:Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?

A:No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.”

I am pro Steam btw and really don’t understand all that DRM complaining. Steam works, and is a great system imho. Although I hope Family Sharing one day could changed to enable multiple users access the library at the same time.

Kind regards,

Low

Then you arent doing it right, because I do it here all the time.

When I play AoW, my son can access Portal for example.

When you try it will send an emaail to your main account asking for permission. You have to click on the link, then you are good to go. Maybe you didnt answer the email?

Stormwind

At this very moment I have rise of Nations on one machine, AoW on another, both are in the same library but two different steam accounts on 2 computers. Just to verify I was not hallucinating.

Low_K

@Stromwind
    I must be doing something wrong then. Some further investigation learned that it can be circumvented by having one of the accounts in offline mode. Is this the way to do it?

Although I still have the sharing on, my daughter almost exclusively plays Minecraft, it is not needed anymore. But maybe in the future.

I’ll let this thread go back to topic 😛

Kind regards,

Low

Mourioche

I would really like to see you explain this more, because frankly I dont get it.
    I’m not trying to start a fight, I just see this type of visceral angry reaction and I have never understood it.

I have lot of things to tell about this…
    (sorry if some wording are not clear, english is not my main language and a have to go and see some google translation when i write long messages on this forum)

– When i was young i experienced a protection on a game i had bought that completly prevent me to play (it doesn’t load), causing a great deception because this was i game i was waiting for a long time.

When i was student i was near a “pirate group”.
    I copied lot of game, but all of them there was no loss for dev because i had no money to buy all these game; and lot of them i just test and drop them.
    Just to do this about “piracy” : “Money loss” is mainly an illusion.
    This is not because someone “illegal copy” that it is a “seeling loss”.
    This is completly different.

Since i’m “adult”:
    – I know that DRM can ruin a game.
    – I know that DRM can reduce computer performance (some DRM make game lagging… i ever see 30% of computer performance loss because of DRM)
    – I already see protection breaking something on a system, and even a hardware (this was lot of years ago)
    – I know that DRM are useless: they protect nothing because if you want to “pirate” this is easy (and no risked : If you afraid about a .exe downloaded from internet, just play on a computer you don’t care, or on a virtual machine).
    – DRM only trouble “legal user” (you cannot used your game when you change hardware, when you have no internet, when the licence server is out, if the game publisher decide stop its server, when you want to reinstall a game several years later because server licence does not still exist….).
    I think that some DRM are so idiot that they make legal user to become “true pirate”.
    – When i buy a game, i want to used it like i want. I don’t accept artificials constraints.
    (For your question : “what are you doing ?” : Response is “Nothing special” – but i have a laptop who have a poor internet connexion (sometime he has no connexion depending where i was; plus a problem of hard disk that can block when i connect to internet (this problem seems to be fixe now, but i’m not sure). I don’t want – No : I refuse – to be unabled to play “my game” because of this and stupid DRM)
    – I think that a game publisher that add exessive protection on its product do not respect its customers. Respect must be from both side (for me it is: I respect who respect me). Treat customers like enemies is a big error (i thing that people become what you thing they are and how you treat them).
    These publisher, for me it’s simple : i don’t want their product – even by “piracy” – even if the game is good – (but i know : i’m “stubborn as a mule” (google translate is ok here ?)).

– And this : “Piracy” is not the enemy of dev or seeler. You can consider this like “friend” because a good game (or film, or music) is both “pirated” and sold. “piracy” and “legal seeling” boost each other.
    You can consider “piracy” like a publicity (and also bad game-film-music have no commercial success, and have no “piracy” success): Each of them works together.
    The economical model for this is perhaps to be formalized, but my personnal experience tell me that i write here is right (and some economical studies tend to be agree with this).

This is hard to explain. To illustrate this i can tell you i discovered AoW with an “illegal copy” (AoW-SW), and buyed it some mounth ago, play a lot whith a friend, mod it (that is a part of a success of a game), and when AoW3 was coming i bought it and all DLC without delay; and in a future i’ll buy an other one to offert this game to someone who has played AoW-SM with me a lot)

I also see this processus some year ago when i organize some LAN (other games). A new player come but he has no game ? We copy a game for him. After this, some of them keep playing the game, perhaps buy extentions, perhaps later buy the version “2”…. if they don’t, where is the loss for publisher and dev ? these was no loss because if copy was not done this gut simply never play and experienced the game.

“Piracy” is a part of the “legal” economic system.
    This economic system is based on mass distribution, and this is that way “dev can eat”.
    I’m sure that in the future this system will be mathematically explained.

I’m sure i forgot to write lot of thing… but perhaps it’s enought for a response 😀

Brandon_354

Brandon_354
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.