Luck is broken in beta.

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Luck is broken in beta.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ericridge 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Nerdfish

Okay. Something is very broken with luck in the open beta.
    I attacked a Lich king’s castle AFTER an shooting star event, first with a scout drone, then with my main army, and the Reapers had lucky. It didn’t help them, but … they had lucky.

Also lucky occurs WAY more frequently than stated value. I had a battle against a dwarf archdruid during shooting star event and … like 80 percent of all attacks missed. Sometimes a unit would attack three times and miss all three times.

That’s just very, very improbable with a 0.2 miss rate.
    Please look into it. I can’t tell if my luck is just that bad, but there is a possibility that miss chance is WAY higher than what’s stated.

Ravenholme

Highly improbable that it is broken, due to the way these things work.

You just had an unfortunate random number seed generated for the miss chances.

Sartarius

I can confirm I also got units with luck on em after cosmic event.
    And about luck and randomness. It was always like this. I have played a lot and can say that 10% and real chances are different. After 10000+ luck attempts I can say so 🙂 It is not a “bad luck” though it is not a last beta patch issue.

I had SOME battles (not even 1) with cosmic luck. And enemy units had it in about 40% chances, mine never ever got lucky. No morale bonuses, no halflings. I know random is random, but still it is very strange. Never notice something like that playing in MP, only against AI.

NuMetal

If the Dread Reapers had lucky even after the Cosmic Event “Shooting Stars” was over then that’s a real issue.
    However you having bad luck isn’t.

Sartarius

We need a dice rolls like on procs in combat log for luck to truly believe it! :p

quo

Sometimes a unit would attack three times and miss all three times.

Are you sure the defenders didn’t have Very Lucky from a Clover Patch? Clover Patches and Shooting Star events stack.

Treasure Site guards don’t exactly move around.

SaintTodd

This question has come up before, and the devs promise there’s nothing dishonest happening. But, I still have my doubts, every time I fight units with lucky, it seems to trigger about twice as often as it should.

It’s possible that the turn on which the event ends still counts as part of the event so the effects only disappear the turn after.

And every single time in every game where there’s some random effect people complain that it’s stacked against them. It’s called “Gambler’s Butthurt” or something I think…

quo

Treasure Site guards don’t exactly move around.

Treasure site guards aren’t exactly commanded by Dwarf Arch Druids either.

ninninnin

And every single time in every game where there’s some random effect people complain that it’s stacked against them. It’s called “Gambler’s Butthurt” or something I think…

no man lucky is evil, shooting stars is my least favorite event. it only singles out some of us so it can torture us more when people dont take us seriously. you have to believe me

thabob79

I usually roll in fetal position until this dreaded event is over.
    In a similar fashion, do anybody ever finish a research earlier because of the event? I got it four times, and the 4 times it happened the exact turn I finish my research anyway.

NuMetal

In a similar fashion, do anybody ever finish a research earlier because of the event? I got it four times, and the 4 times it happened the exact turn I finish my research anyway.

Yeah, I had the feeling too but only a few days ago I got a research finished that still would have taken 4 turns so that was nice.

quo

FWIW cosmic events are rolled at the start of each turn using a fresh die roll. If you get one you absolutely hate in single player, you can just reload the turn and it won’t happen again. Let your conscience be your guide.

Nerdfish

I think it’s best if the attack roll is displayed against a lucky target. I am pretty sure lucky triggers WAY more than they should.

The game should also provide some counter to luck beside despair. Some classes can have so much positive morale that you can have them choke on fume, curse them AND set them on fire and they’d still have positive morale.

The luck trigger is now officially the most annoying sound effect in this game. I actually make a point to burn down every halfling city I come across.

Ericridge

Thats just halflings being very lucky! I have seen alot of improbable odds happen over many years of gaming. I pretty much go meh and move on instead of accusing them of hackusactions.

Fire Emblem, weak swordmen with 1% chance to crit and oneshot your full health swordmen with 100 hp? I seen it happen.

Just believe in the heart of your yugioh cards and you will draw exactly what you need to win!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.