Mariner's Guild

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Mariner's Guild

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  NuMetal 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Gloweye

The Mariner’s Guild can be build as a Mystical City Upgrade in a city that has a Raging Mealstrom in it’s domain.(The wirlpool that can occur on sea tiles).

It bestows Water Concealment on produces Irregular units.

My question is, has anyone ever used it? It seems pretty useless to me…first thing to come to my mind was using it with Human Assassins, but they already got it. That leaves Monster Hunters as the only affected unit that has swimming.

My suggestion would be to change it to something useful, like swimming. (Though it might be a little overpowered..but just on irregulars it might not be so bad.)

thabob79

The new warlord scout swim too if i recall correctly, but yes this is useless

CSav10

I don’t consider water concealment bad, in fact for certain scouts on continent maps where ships literally blow you to hell I could see it pretty useful. The thing is, during my gameplay I don’t seem to use many irregular units as scouts(in fact I normally don’t create a lot of irregulars in general!). So I can totally see why you don’t get much use out of this. Maybe if they changed it to units summoned inside the structures domain, the ability would see much more use, as most classes have a summonable tier 1 unit that often make good scouts. I do wish with many of these structure buffs, that they would apply to everything produced/summoned inside the domain, not just pikemen irregulars etc, would definately encourage me to build more of them.

Jolly Joker

This was already discussed and considered very sucky.

Doesn’t it stay functional when embarked?
    So swimming isn’t “necessary” to make it work and you can theoretically have stealthy sea attacks. With assassins, monster hunters and sphinxes…

Mythabril

Maybe add the Mariner ability on top of concealment? Then it would be more effective on units that need to embark.

Ravenholme

I have to agree that this one is mostly useless. I guess it might be more useful in MP, if it does apply to embarked Irregulars, but for Singleplayer it is virtually useless.

thabob79

Adding swimming as well might do the job

Gloweye

Doesn’t it stay functional when embarked?<br>
    So swimming isn’t “necessary” to make it work and you can theoretically have stealthy sea attacks. With assassins, monster hunters and sphinxes…

I believe so, but that’s still nothing compared to any other Mystical City Upgrade.

themighty1

Water concealment is a good substitute

themighty1

I mean water concealment is not enough…. Maybe swimming is a good substitute

Bob5

Personally the entire structure seems a bit rushed to me and not that interesting. 15 production is nice but not spectacular, and because it’s on the sea it’s usually more difficult to get it inside a city domain. Its tactical combat map is beautiful, really stunning, but in my opinion it lacks a battlefield enchantment or effect appropriate to a whirlpool kind of thing. And the Mystical City upgrade also seems kind of rushed in terms of balance, it’s for the most part useless unless you use the Warlord Scouts a lot on sea maps, and even then you first have to get it into your domain.

Ericridge

Water concealment means you can conceal your civic guards and engineers in the water to act as watchtowers so that you will have advance warning when they sail to get at you from the water. Or even an really advanced warning system when they accidently discover ur irregulars. I haven’t really made use of this yet because such cities is usually frantically building ships as fast as possible.

I think I have lost about 20+ frigates atm in current maps i’m playing butting heads with manticores and winning.

Ravenholme

Personally the entire structure seems a bit rushed to me and not that interesting. 15 production is nice but not spectacular, and because it’s on the sea it’s usually more difficult to get it inside a city domain. Its tactical combat map is beautiful, really stunning, but in my opinion it lacks a battlefield enchantment or effect appropriate to a whirlpool kind of thing. And the Mystical City upgrade also seems kind of rushed in terms of balance, it’s for the most part useless unless you use the Warlord Scouts a lot on sea maps, and even then you first have to get it into your domain.

I do think that it should be Production and a Minor amount of gold it bestows inside a domain, as you would expect that a Whirlpool wrecking ships would generate a lot of salvage, some of which MUST be valuable.

Just remember that anything irregular based goes to sphinxes as well. Swimming and water concealment on the unit might be too much. You could have terror from the deep instead of the concealment or swimming. So any embarked stack with it could beat another, and human assassins with it would become most terrifying indeed.

Gloweye

Oh, I must say i like the structure, and the production is generally a nice boost, nothing wrong with that. It’s just that the ability is a bit….useless.

Just remember that anything irregular based goes to sphinxes as well. Swimming and water concealment on the unit might be too much. You could have terror from the deep instead of the concealment or swimming. So any embarked stack with it could beat another, and human assassins with it would become most terrifying indeed.

While I like the idea, the flavor makes it kind of weird…

How about it giving Mariner to maybe a slightly wider group of units?(Irregular/Infantry/Pikes ?) Would still be useless for humans, but decent for other races.

Preagafr

What do you think about “Fast Embark” or “Fast Embark + Mariner”?

Garresh

I really disagree.. That upgrade is insanely strong for intel purposes. For any class.

NuMetal

There are three reasons I see why it isn’t too weak:

Water concealment means you can conceal your civic guards and engineers in the water to act as watchtowers so that you will have advance warning when they sail to get at you from the water.

Just remember that anything irregular based goes to sphinxes as well.

3. Scoundrels.
    Sabotage already makes them very neat against machines and ships and the water concealment makes ambushing those units so much more easy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.