Melons and Necromancers

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Melons and Necromancers

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  CSav10 7 years ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Solokaldaka

I’ve been playing the new expansion and came around to something odd apparently you can’t use corrupt source on bountiful melons like you can with the great farms and life springs, right now those tile upgrades are nearly completely useless to a necromancer. I would think you could just corrupt them like the 2 other tile upgrades that produce population but you can’t, it would even have been neat if they turned the tiles into a pumpkin patch or something, it would be silly but in function it would work like any other corrupted source

Jaduggar

it would even have been neat if they turned the tiles into a pumpkin patch

Yes, it would have 🙂

thepope

(Huh links not working working, pretend I posted a link to that Wikipedia article about vampiric watermelons.)

Ravenholme

Given that Corrupt the Source doesn’t turn the corrupted thing into something entirely different, just corrupts it, if it was useable on the Bountiful Melons I think it should just turn them into Rotten Melons, which give a small amount of Undead Population and +2 Blight Damage on attacks for the next battle (Because you’re using the rotting melons to poison your weapons).

Ericridge

Bountiful Melons used to heal machines, they removed that in eternal lords. 🙁

I miss telling my juggernaut to run down melons and get healed.

Weltenreiter

I miss telling my juggernaut to run down melons and get healed.

No melon smoothies for your Jugger crew, they can eat industrial paste like everyone else. This isn’t a cruise ship!

Maximo

As far as I remember they can heal your undead units so they aren’t completely useless. And even if that’s not true – non-necromancers have nothing to deal with corrupted sources and are stuck with them forever, so I think it’s alright you have to be stuck with something useless as well.

JPoll

It would be absolutely hilarious if melons turned into pumpkins in necromancer domains. 🙂

and +2 Blight Damage on attacks for the next battle (Because you’re using the rotting melons to poison your weapons).

nice thinking, the only problem is that when an melon (or any piece of fruit) gets rotten they are not per se poisons (or toxic), in the right circumstances they get turned intro alcohol and you are more likely to clean your weapon then poison it. still poison is not completely out of question because the corruption can simply make it poisons by pumping it full of blighted water. giving living units that stand on it some damage instead of healing and granting the requested undead populace.

Ravenholme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ravenholme wrote:</div>
    and +2 Blight Damage on attacks for the next battle (Because you’re using the rotting melons to poison your weapons).

nice thinking, the only problem is that when an melon (or any piece of fruit) gets rotten they are not per se poisons (or toxic), in the right circumstances they get turned intro alcohol and you are more likely to clean your weapon then poison it. still poison is not completely out of question because the corruption can simply make it poisons by pumping it full of blighted water. giving living units that stand on it some damage instead of healing and granting the requested undead populace.

The fruit itself isn’t toxic, but I can guarantee that if you slathered that rotting fruit into an open wound that you’d come down with some kind of infection (If not outright blood poisoning), due to the bacteria and fungal agents involved in decomposition. And Blight is not just poison damage, but all kind of entropic/poisoning/corrosive agents.

And besides, it takes QUITE a while before alcohol is produced in significant enough quantities to self-sterilise (Which is why distillation of drinking alcohol is a process that takes a degree of time under the extremely controlled conditions it is done under compared to natural decay/rotting of fruit matter)

(Nevermind the other things that populate rotting fruit which you also wouldn’t want getting anywhere near you)

The fruit itself isn’t toxic, but I can guarantee that if you slathered that rotting fruit into an open wound that you’d come down with some kind of infection (If not outright blood poisoning), due to the bacteria and fungal agents involved in decomposition. And Blight is not just poison damage, but all kind of entropic/poisoning/corrosive agents.

fair enough, if you take all the fungus and other crap that is associated with blight it should become an interesting stew that creates the blight damage.

And besides, it takes QUITE a while before alcohol is produced in significant enough quantities to self-sterilise

Also completely true, that is why I said in the right circumstances, still to create just an little bit of alcohol 2 weeks of rotting is already sufficient and would rather work against poisoning weapons then helping the process. still there should be an “proper” reason that the melons suddenly Become poisons (if it is only the fungus and stuff you could stick your sword in an random part of the ground and you will have the same effect)

Maybe the “juice” that is in the watermelon becomes an optimizing agent for poisons substances when it gets intro blighted ground, making it more easier to poison your weapons thus giving the poisoned weapon effect.

Ravenholme

Well, the other thing to remember is that alcohol is a sterilising agent because it is toxic (So kills bacteria, fungi, and your liver/brain when imbibed in significant quantities) 😛

We use it in medicine, but that is distilled under controlled conditions (i.e. filtered etc). You won’t find ANY doctor (or Biologist, such as me) recommending you take a fruit that is becoming alcoholic from the ground and use it to sterilise any wounds you have because the risk of secondary infections is so high – So, blight damage. 😛

ESPECIALLY as we’re arguing under fantasy conditions where it has been corrupted by vile undead magic. I wouldn’t suggest anyone put those anywhere near them, and if you burn them to clean the area, stand upwind of it.

(Fermentation is, anyway, carried out by specific bacteria. When corrupted/rotted by black magic, instantly, that process probably doesn’t apply)

Yea if you take it that way and let the alcohol be the actual poisoning agent then it should work,

Don’t take it as an recommendation to kids to pick up rotten fruit and smudge it all over their wounds, (on an second thought if it don’t kill you it make you stronger. Kids I was joking slap it al over your wounds. it is healthy and fun)

Ill just give you the victory here.

Arlow

melons and necromancers could be a good name for a band
    was my first thought

CSav10

Two words I never thought I’d see in the same sentence was mine lol. I get the mental image now of a necromancer trying to eat a watermelon.

Age of wonders III, Eternal Melons. Damn that sound way to XXX rated.

Lord CSav10, How about an necromancer conjuring an undead golem created from rotten melons, leaking melon juice from the gap where should be an mouth. (with the melons and necromancers playing on the background of course Lord Arlow)

CSav10

ROFL!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.