Modders competition

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Modders competition

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Teehon 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Teehon

It’s been barely a month since the mod tools were released and there are already dozens of amazing mods out there! I have a proposition – what about a competition for modders? They announce their completed mods, there is a time for application (let’s say a month), and two weeks after users start to vote for a mod they liked the most. If Triumph is interested, they can even give a monetary prize to a winner or the best 3. Or not monetary but something else. Or monetary prize AND including the mods into the game as a free update for all (given that they don’t change the basics of the game, or making it an optional “official” mod)

Is there an interest in such a thing?

Gloweye

Wouldn’t that result in a couple of the very same mods?

Or alternatively, to have a “competition” among mods that are to unalike to ever be compared?

Teehon

The idea is to find out which mods improve the gaming experience the most. Basically must-have ones. I think for the devs it would be interesting to know, which changes are most called-for.

Taykor

Is there an interest in such a thing?

No. The result will obviously be the most favoured/subscribed/highly ranked mods on steam. You can see them right now.

Gloweye

I’m not sure if the Dev’s are going to implement stuff based on that, but you never know. Currenly, i’m still exploring the tools and their possibilities. i’m not really interested I guess, thanks to already to little time and to much stuff to do. (Dark Elf Dwelling incoming).

Shaithias

I like this idea and I second a mod competition!

not really interested in the competition. Agree pretty much with Gloweye and Taykor.

BUT: I would be very interested in people posting mods in other places than steam!

I only found the mods on http://www.nexusmods.com/ageofwonders3/ so far. So thanks a lot for GLoweye and Silvergirl and Drow7 for putting up some mods. Really love the ballista.

Have I missed another website? Please tell me!

Charlatan

Have I missed another website? Please tell me!

Only the steam workshop yet I think.
    And for the Ballista: you’re welcome :p

Lords,

creating a competition over art is barbaric. if you really want to “test the skills of modders” you should organize a project where all modders create a part of the mod and release it as one big “perfect” mod.

instead of focusing on “batteling” against each other releasing a few good mods you should combine them and release one combined grand mod.

Why don’t you make it a contest to do some useful set of goals, i.e., “revitalize the diplomacy system” or allow “deep” as opposed to expansive gameplay?

Teehon

Maaan, every idea I get gets boooed. 🙁 All I wanted is to give some more attention to the mods and see what future support do the devs want to lend to the mod-makers. Competition is a mother of invention and giving additional motivation to create a masterpiece can’t hurt.

Why don’t you make it a contest to do some useful set of goals, i.e., “revitalize the diplomacy system” or allow “deep” as opposed to expansive gameplay?

Might also work!

Lords,

creating a competition over art is barbaric. if you really want to “test the skills of modders” you should organize a project where all modders create a part of the mod and release it as one big “perfect” mod.

instead of focusing on “batteling” against each other releasing a few good mods you should combine them and release one combined grand mod.

There are annual new writers’ competitions etc., and no one ever called them barbaric.

Zaskow

“revitalize the diplomacy system”

It’s not possible without access to AI logic.

There are annual new writers’ competitions etc., and no one ever called them barbaric.

mwuhahaha I do Lord Teehon,

Don’t take it as a personal offence though, but mods are pieces of art, and real art is not to fulfill a persons ego but to create something wonderful.

ElderDays

Having an external motivator like a competition is a tried and true way to fuel creativity. The community that has grown out of making quests with the Neverwinter Foundry tool do one at least every quarter with awesome results. The real purpose of these events isn’t to win but to breed excitement. However I don’t think the modding community for AOW is big enough for such a event at the time being.

Shaithias

I have a couple ideas to revitalize the diplomacy, but they involve some weird things 😛

Charlatan

Then it’s about time. Numbers don’t predict who is right or wrong.

Having an external motivator like a competition is a tried and true way to fuel creativity.

As a fanatically creative person I call this total nonsense. The more pressure, timeline and rushing you put on creativity, the worse it becomes. If you want to “fuel” creativity, this is like desperately throwing plastic and trash into a flame as”fuel” to keep it burning. You cannot successfully force-fuel creativity in any way. The resulting competitions usually satisfy the foolish masses temporarily, and satisfy weak creators who need to apply their ego, instead of truly creating their own work built to last.

Alas, I approve of Teehon’s idea. It’s a nice refreshing competition. Just please don’t call this quality creativity. That’s not the point.

Sir Toine

ye no offense here here but a competition is exactly the opposite of what a good modding community should be..

Gloweye

If you want to “fuel” creativity, this is like desperately throwing plastic and trash into a flame as”fuel” to keep it burning. You cannot successfully force-fuel creativity in any way.

You could give all the creative guys so much money that they have more time to be creative.

But that’s about the only way though…

You can compare it to good writers. I believe everyone will agree Terry Pratchett was a good writer – and he churned out massive amounts of books. He had quite a lot creativity, and it came pretty fast.

On the other hand, think of Robert Jordan. You can say that he just wasn’t a guy to make a long story short, but the fact that someone else had to finish Wheel of Time is indicative of him not being able to force his own creativity faster than it came naturally.

ElderDays

My main hobby is miniature war gaming. Most of the time I am fairly sporadic in the attention I give to assembling painting and coming up with scenarios for my little mans. When I know there is an event that piques my interest on the horizon I dedicate far more time and effort into the hobby. In turn for me at least this sparks ideas for conversions (chopping up models to make new ones) and provides an opportunity to try new painting techniques.

I know everyone is different but for me without external deadlines I would be unlikely to finish anything. I can understand though that many people dislike this approach as it may cause undue stress.

Charlatan

I may have given the wrong idea from my side.

As a rare, or one-time event, I think Teehon’s suggestion is great. Every now and then such competitions can rush people to inspirations.

Just, as a frequent or regular thing, it definitely deteriorates the modding.

As a fanatically creative person I call this total nonsense. The more pressure, timeline and rushing you put on creativity, the worse it becomes

Every classical Greek play was written for a competition (a festival of Dionysus), Frankenstein emerged from competitive story telling, and many poetic works were produced as entries for various contests in numerous cultures (a great deal of the Tale of Genji involves competitive creative output).

One can also name numerous “hack” works created by competitive pressure to sell lots of books (here’s looking at you, Brooks). It is all in how you set up the thing.

A regular set of community requests/prompts or whatever, could be a nice way of stimulating more mod creation. A creator/community nexus, if you will.

Stormwind

Man, the pedantry in this thread is overwhleming. No one is forced to compete and ruin all their precious “creativity”.

Then it’s about time. Numbers don’t predict who is right or wrong.

Having an external motivator like a competition is a tried and true way to fuel creativity.

As a fanatically creative person I call this total nonsense. The more pressure, timeline and rushing you put on creativity, the worse it becomes. If you want to “fuel” creativity, this is like desperately throwing plastic and trash into a flame as”fuel” to keep it burning. You cannot successfully force-fuel creativity in any way. The resulting competitions usually satisfy the foolish masses temporarily, and satisfy weak creators who need to apply their ego, instead of truly creating their own work built to last.

Citation needed for all these claims.

Teehon

As a rare, or one-time event, I think Teehon’s suggestion is great.

What happened to the nice and friendly community of AoW3 lovers? When did it become a nest of uppity and self righteousness?

I am outta here. Do what you will.

Taykor

What happened to the nice and friendly community of AoW3 lovers? When did it become a nest of uppity and self righteousness?

So, people not liking your ideas are uppish and self-righteous?
    Ok. Noted.

Charlatan

I think you misread what I said there, I wasn’t saying it is “rare” and “one-time” for your suggestion to be great – I was suggesting how frequent (rare/one-time) the actual Competitions should happen… as should be apparent by the rest of my post,

Why should I insult you when I’m actually agreeing to your suggestion?

Citation needed for all these claims.

Maybe in a court-martial, but not in a topic that is already getting derailed as it is.

Teehon

I think you misread what I said there, I wasn’t saying it is “rare” and “one-time” for your suggestion to be great, I was suggesting how frequent (rare/one-time) the actual Competitions should be…

Ah, my bad then, I thought you were saying “In a rare occurrence of Teehon’s ideas not being a total garbage they normally are”. Apologies.

So, people not liking your ideas are uppish and self-righteous?
    Ok. Noted.

Listen, if you take your time and write down a concept which I know to be completely unrealistic and not productive, I will still not comment with “Yeah, like always: a sh*tty idea from Taykor”. This is what people call uppish.

To everyone: People, I’ve been actively following this game and it’s development ever since this forum was first created, long before the game was released. I still remember the excitement about the devs slowly unlocking new classes and leaking new bits of info about how the game was going to be. I successfully predicted (I won’t claim that Devs actually read my ideas and decided to use them, of course) some of the big changes to the game. If I decide to put some of my time to create a topic that means I sincerely believe it will do the game some good, not because of any other reason. If most people disagree with it and devs also see no point in such a competition – so be it. However, please try to stay constructive in your criticism.

Charlatan

I’ll attempt a constructive restart 😉

Possibly some including myself exaggerated the term “competition” there, while actually it depends on the goal the contest sets up. I think Gloweye raised a good point: if it is about 1 specific idea, it’ll end up with many similar mods of which everyone can only pick one.

If it is Free-For-All on the other hand, votes will always be biased due to the distribution of players in modding – visual overhauls like ENB and any combat/tactic related mods usually loom above the rest.

The solution could be to pick middle ground, which could make it both a contest and collection: For example the goal could be to create a new dwelling or treasure site, which shouldn’t have too many “clones”. When the community grows larger, maybe even hardcore challenges like a new race, or new class could be done. Or each contestant enters with a different class unit.

Thus, instead of leftover mods that won’t be used much, it could result in wide-spread collections.

Listen, if you take your time and write down a concept which I know to be completely unrealistic and not productive, I will still not comment with “Yeah, like always: a sh*tty idea from Taykor”. This is what people call uppish.
    To everyone: People, I’ve been actively following this game and it’s development ever since this forum was first created, long before the game was released. I still remember the excitement about the devs slowly unlocking new classes and leaking new bits of info about how the game was going to be. I successfully predicted (I won’t claim that Devs actually read my ideas and decided to use them, of course) some of the big changes to the game. If I decide to put some of my time to create a topic that means I sincerely believe it will do the game some good, not because of any other reason. If most people disagree with it and devs also see no point in such a competition – so be it. However, please try to stay constructive in your criticism.

ha, you don’t have to defend yourself Lord Teehon,

if you have an idea, and you think it will improve the game or is positive for the community you should post it. even if you would have been a “bad poster” (what as far as I know isn’t the case with you) you could have a wonderful idea and actually start a great competition of event or whatever. but that’s not this idea.

I can see the “way of thinking” and for most cases a competition is a fine way to improve skills and quality of the participating parties. the problem with art is that it doesn’t improve if you put a time limit on it, and you cant have a competition without some sort of time limit.

of course you have the few black sheep that actually have better work when they are pressed and have a tight time limit but you don’t see the many failures that are around those works.

if you want a solid “prove” of this fact just look at the big house game developers. releasing new games every year, decreasing the quality but keeping the popularity via marketing. a great example of this is rome total war 2, that actually got a second release (emporer edition) because the rushed first released was completely broken and not total war worthy.

so instead of a competition you should organize a cooperation. like I said before.

but just remember don’t get discouraged for posting ideas.

Gloweye

I’m not saying the idea is bad per se, just that I don’t see the provided specifics might not be what we’re looking for. As a modding community, we’re very young. I’ll compare to skyrim(the only other game I ever used mods for), and it’s working there. But you can have X house mods which are all pretty different, or X dungeon mods.

While you could do new race/class, that’s going to be far to much work to neatly do(even given a template by arnout). Treasure sites could work, but are never going to be amazing due to a lack of tactical combat modding abilities.(really, if someone finds out how to do that, it’d be awesome no matter how much of a pain in the behind it would be.)

I just can’t see a subject going that we can have a good competition about.

Teehon

I’m not saying the idea is bad per se, just that I don’t see the provided specifics might not be what we’re looking for. As a modding community, we’re very young. I’ll compare to skyrim(the only other game I ever used mods for), and it’s working there. But you can have X house mods which are all pretty different, or X dungeon mods.

While you could do new race/class, that’s going to be far to much work to neatly do(even given a template by arnout). Treasure sites could work, but are never going to be amazing due to a lack of tactical combat modding abilities.(really, if someone finds out how to do that, it’d be awesome no matter how much of a pain in the behind it would be.)

I just can’t see a subject going that we can have a good competition about.

Dwelling or something small, too bad about tactical maps.
    As a starter try it could be about creating a seamlessly integrated unit. People would vote which unit they like the best and the units can be used afterwards for other mods/dwellings/whatever.

Or maybe… A Comeback Unit competition! – there are a lot of units in AoW1, AoW2 and SM which are still not represented in AoW3, so there is many possibilities. Limiting it to 1 unit can ensure people are not pressured by the deadline.

if you want a solid “prove” of this fact just look at the big house game developers. releasing new games every year, decreasing the quality but keeping the popularity via marketing. a great example of this is rome total war 2, that actually got a second release (emporer edition) because the rushed first released was completely broken and not total war worthy.

The problem with AAA developer are not the deadlines but the desire for profit. A company too big inevitably looses it’s human face and the main goal of any commercial organisation is to make money.
    The Triumph on the other side is more interested in making a good game and everyone can see it.
    Most modders are not interested in making money through their mods, they do like appreciation though, like all artists. And a competition gives a nice boost, a motivation to give your best. Most people who take park in competitions do that not to feel themselves better than the others but to prove themselves to themselves.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.