Modders competition

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Modders competition

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Teehon 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

vota dc

I would like a “research competition”. A button for multiple units production, a reworked luck that reintroduce hit chance, a reworked flying etc etc etc. All these researchs would enlarge the way the game can be modded.

Sir Toine

what about a specific thread where everyone could just throw some ideas, and then the modders would just pick some things up here and there, and then work their magic?

Charlatan

There have been cases where some of the best modding communities worldwide (like hiveworkshop) had contests where much of the resulting content was eventually NOT given out for players to use, destroying the actual purpose of these mods, reducing it to ego. (Wannabe lawyers have to google it themselves if they want citation)

I guess this is the kind that Overlord Darkslash calls barbarbaric and I agree.

Obviously Teehon didn’t mean such a contest.

A Comeback Unit competition!

I totally second that, this wouldnt just make a nice contest but also benefit a lot of players – few things are as frequently wished for in aow3

what about a specific thread where everyone could just throw some ideas, and then the modders would just pick some things up here and there, and then work their magic?

Like the “mod requests/suggestions” topic but with less offtopic? That would be cool.

Garresh

not really interested in the competition. Agree pretty much with Gloweye and Taykor.

BUT: I would be very interested in people posting mods in other places than steam!

I only found the mods on http://www.nexusmods.com/ageofwonders3/ so far. So thanks a lot for GLoweye and Silvergirl and Drow7 for putting up some mods. Really love the ballista.

Have I missed another website? Please tell me!

Moddb has my variants arsenal uploaded to it, but its a slightly out of date version because I’ve been dealing with IRL shit lately and had to take a break from Modding.

quo

I think this would appeal to some people. It’s not for me, though, so I’d choose to leave my mods out of any competitions.

The big issue with competition for me personally is it invites a lot of negative feedback that I just don’t want to deal with. I mod because it is fun to me to create things. I am fine with criticism, even of the “this mod isn’t for me” kind. What I don’t want to deal with is people scrutinizing over every minute detail because they expect a professional product from someone who is unpaid, or worse, people assuming that because this mod won an award it’s now open season to leave cavalier comments on why it sucks and some other thing should have won. I had a fairly successful mod I wrote for another game that eventually had 32,000 subscribers. It was overwhelming. AoW is much more manageable to me.

That’s not to say a competition wouldn’t motivate some other people. But it’s not for me.

tesb

personally i would only support something to the op’s proposal if it would NOT revolve around which mod is best/the most favourite/most subscribed. as others have written you can see the stats on steam. I would rather have different categories to bring certain types of mods to attention e.g.:

New Content: Which mod has the best implementation of new Races/Units
    Changed Gameplay: Which mods alter gameplay
    Balance: Mods that overhaul balance or just fix a lot of smaller issues
    Originality: Which mods are just crazy different
    QoL* mods: Which mods just make the game easier to play/more enjoyable

*Quality of Life

Also i am not a fan of the word competition a lot of modding is cooperative be it just bouncing off ideas, helping other modders or even building from other mods. The reward of such a “competition” should not be for the modders, but for the mod users, so they have a good overview of what mods are considered good depending on their category, e.g. one player likes the vanilla game and just wants little tweaks while another player might want tons of additional content or drastic balance overhauls.

Teehon

There have been cases where some of the best modding communities worldwide (like hiveworkshop) had contests where much of the resulting content was eventually NOT given out for players to use, destroying the actual purpose of these mods, reducing it to ego. (Wannabe lawyers have to google it themselves if they want citation)

I guess this is the kind that Overlord Darkslash calls barbarbaric and I agree.

Obviously Teehon didn’t mean such a contest.

A Comeback Unit competition!

I totally second that, this wouldnt just make a nice contest but also benefit a lot of players – few things are as frequently wished for in aow3

Like the “mod requests/suggestions” topic but with less offtopic? That would be cool.

The more I think about it, the more it appeals to me – now the question is, are there enough modders wanting to participate?
    Also, since modelling a unit might be difficult for some people, I think we can make the competition more diverse and separate it into 3 categories:

1. Comeback Competition: Return of an Old Face (creating a unit which is connected to AoW/AoW2/SM)

2. Comeback Competition: Old Wonders Discovered Again (creating a building/architecture/treasure site)

3. Comeback Competition: Old Stories Rewritten (writing a creative and fitting description for old units or treasure sites)

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.