Modding / V1.7 [OFFICIAL] NOW LIVE

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Modding / V1.7 [OFFICIAL] NOW LIVE

This topic contains 441 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  Tombles 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 442 total)
  • Author

Epaminondas

Don’t forget to change the preview formation too, it’s also there.

What’s preview formation?

I just tested by changing only the formation link, and it worked fine. What does preview formation change?

Gloweye

2. I see that you can add or subtract a unit’s level-up abilities; but can you change HPs acquired? I did not see any fields related to this, so I assume this is hard-coded?

Should be in the unit’s Tier resource – the link is close to the bottom, but I don’t know where those resources are located.(which RPK)

4. I see that you can modify unit and spell properties; but can you actually delete units and spells out of existence altogether? I mainly want to get rid of Warbreeds (at last!) and ultimate spells.

Break the link – generally under the RPK the unit’s in, click “settings”, then find the header containing “Link Data”. remove the units here to disable them.

They’re not out of existance right away. If you don’t want them to show up as random site defenders either, you’ll need to remove them from the units sets that contain them. Units Sets should be another header close to Link Data.

5. Finally, I am wondering if it is possible to convert certain city defense spells – such as Dragon Oil – into permanent Empire Upgrades.

I did it as a structure, which I like much more. You could download my elven mod to see how I did that. It’s 6 entries and a marker you need to do.

Can I ask if negative values for healing and brain rot are valid?

Don’t see why now, at least in the case of healing. I’d say, give it a go and see what happens.

Epaminondas

They’re not out of existance right away. If you don’t want them to show up as random site defenders either, you’ll need to remove them from the units sets that contain them. Units Sets should be another header close to Link Data.

I actually don’t mind Warbreeds as neutral lair “monsters”; besides, the less I mod, the less possibility I break things, given how clumsy I am! 😉

I did it as a structure, which I like much more. You could download my elven mod to see how I did that. It’s 6 entries and a marker you need to do.

I will take a look – thanks. I am primarily concerned with making city defenses harder to crack open than is the case than in the vanilla combat – so the precise form or mechanism of buffing city defense is secondary.

my initial idea of writing physical attacks that hit resistance rather than defence seems impossible.

I believe Gloweye did something similar with his modified Catapults, in the Ballista mod.

Their attack checks against resistance I think and can therefore miss.

Epaminondas

Oh, one more question:

Can you cap how far units can level? I was thinking setting caps to the extent where units cannot obtain higher than the double of their gold medal HPs. Units with 150-200 HPs is fine; but 300-400 HPs kinda got ridiculous 😉

vota dc

I actually don’t mind Warbreeds as neutral lair “monsters”; besides, the less I mod, the less possibility I break things, given how clumsy I am! 😉

I already broken Tome of Wonders: it doesn’t show resistance, attack and defense!

That’s all you should need to do, sounds like you’ve made a mistake somewhere… Giving them the same template resolver as a Dwarf XBowman or a Human Militia should be all that’s needed.

The name of civic guard template is OneHandedSlashStab_Human…so the template is about all unit animations and not just a single action unlike the name suggest?

Epaminondas

I already broken Tome of Wonders: it doesn’t show resistance, attack and defense!

Uh oh. What did you do? Maybe I should not mod until the release is finalized? 🙁

Confirmed. I thought these had been deleted entirely, but it’s just in the tow.

vota dc

Right now I made farmer weaker (a lot less of attack, throw chicken more chance to hinder but very low damage and with cooldown) usable without barracks and war hall, doubled the dimension of the nightwatch buckler, gave a crossbow to human archer, changed description of halflings with localized xml (a little annoying because there are many links to that: tome of wonders under concept, when you choose your race and also the race skill in unit menu), removed racial modifiers of Halfling that have devour corpse, gave to halfling support acid darts and cause fear but removed nourishing meal (you don’t need you devour corpse), also gave armored and removed 1 of defense.

Not sure what broken that. Maybe because I touched defense and attack of a unit: I can still see skill, hitpoints and movement points.

Epaminondas

Confirmed. I thought these had been deleted entirely, but it’s just in the tow.

Ah, so edited stats are not reflected properly on ToW?

Ravenholme

Truly excellent news guys, especially that you’ve worked on making it possible to import new models/textures, that should really allow the modding scene to take off.

Which leads me to a question: Would you consider adding a new, distinct Modding section of the AoW3 forum? The questions etc that are likely to be asked, plus the new mods would quite drown the existing Level Editor forum, so maybe a new subforum is required.

Just a thought, though!

Tombles
    Keymaster

Can you cap how far units can level? I was thinking setting caps to the extent where units cannot obtain higher than the double of their gold medal HPs. Units with 150-200 HPs is fine; but 300-400 HPs kinda got ridiculous 😉

Only way I can think of to do that would be to find where it says how much XP you need to reach a champion level (Tier resource I believe, in title.rpk) and change the amount to a really big number.

The name of civic guard template is OneHandedSlashStab_Human…so the template is about all unit animations and not just a single action unlike the name suggest?

Exactly. The template refers to a whole set of animations, whch itself may be based off another set. It’s all fairly complex, and not really my area, so I only roughly understand it myself. Best rule of thumb is “Find something that works in a similar way, and copy what it does”.

What’s preview formation?

The formation that’s used when you open the unit panel.

Can I ask if negative values for healing and brain rot are valid?
    Also, is it at all possible to modify the strength of healing abilties based on the target’s resistance, the attackers ranged strength et cetera? I’ve been looking for ways to work around the lack of an officially desiganted magic channel, and my initial idea of writing physical attacks that hit resistance rather than defence seems impossible.

Also, a thousand thanks for the mod tools.

Often negative values will be blocked by the system somehow. Healing is for healing and damage is for damage, reversing that usually doesn’t work.

I can’t think of a way of scaling healing based on resistance either I’m afraid.

Bob5

Tombles, any idea on how to resolve the crashing issue that I have on 1.7? I posted some details on the previous page.

Epaminondas

Only way I can think of to do that would be to find where it says how much XP you need to reach a champion level (Tier resource I believe, in title.rpk) and change the amount to a really big number.

Hmmm, not sure if I like that solution either, since I like Champion levels – I just want Champion levels to stop at certain point. Is there then a way to change XP required to advance while once you reach Champion levels?

alexej

Many icons for equipment from dungeons seems to be empty template or some group of random icons, anyone experienced this?

Tombles
    Keymaster

I’ve made a note to check on Monday Alexej, I think a bunch of item icons are broken.

Hmmm, not sure if I like that solution either, since I like Champion levels – I just want Champion levels to stop at certain point. Is there then a way to change XP required to advance while once you reach Champion levels?

Not sure. I suspect that there’s just a single “XP per champion level” option. Best I can suggest is to increase it for each tier a bit, so it takes longer to reach silly levels.

Tombles, any idea on how to resolve the crashing issue that I have on 1.7? I posted some details on the previous page.

None, I’m afraid. It works fine here. Normal things to check like verifying your local cache and things? Problem is, you’re not in debug mode, so it doesn’t even generate a log or DMP file for us to look at 🙁

Bob5

Rebooting my laptop twice and switching back and forth several times between the beta’s actually fixed it for some reason, no idea why…

Tibbles

Rebooting my laptop twice and switching back and forth several times between the beta’s actually fixed it for some reason, no idea why…

Just means Steam messed up the download the first time, it happens

MartyD81

@tibbles

if you are still here, could you please post the awesome AoW1-styled cursor mod you created a few weeks ago to Steam Workshop and update it for the latest beta? That’s one of the most important things this games needs right now, seriously! Or is it possible to create such a cursor through the mod editor? Thanks in advance.

Tibbles

Marty, it’s inside an overwritten .exe file, so it’s not supported by the Workshop/Package manager

Teehon

Woooohooo!!!

So, anyone planning on making a Visual Distinction for Racial Class Units mod?

ryukra

I will do something in that region. :3 I want every race and class completely distinct from everyone else. It’s a really big projekt, but I already created an aow clone prototyp in UE4, so I think I will manage that somehow. 😀

Bob5

Is there a way to remove the cooldown of an ability on medal upgrades, for instance making a Frost Dragon that can use Frost Breath without cooldown when it reaches gold medal?

MartyD81

@tibbles
    O.K. thanks for the info, aren’t you, by chance, going to create another set of cursors in the mod editor this time (if that’s possible at all)? I would make some myself if I knew how to… The existing cursor is really, really immersion-breaking… Thanks again.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Is there a way to remove the cooldown of an ability on medal upgrades, for instance making a Frost Dragon that can use Frost Breath without cooldown when it reaches gold medal?

I don’t think so. You can remove “Once Per Battle” from an ability, but I don’t think you can remove a cooldown.

Tibbles

@marty, it can’t be done via the mod editor.
    But I can show you how to do it, and give the cursor files if you want? It’s not that hard but you do need a resource editor (for .exe files, not a specific one for AOW)

I’ll bump the thread with a tutorial if you’re interested 🙂

Epaminondas

I can’t believe I forgot to ask this question:

To increase immersion, I really want to set up a ranged combat system where melee range and archery range is NOT the same. But I also don’t want ranged units to kite forever. So I am wondering if it’s possible to set up a system where ranged units cannot fire at all on the turn it moves. Is this possible?

Edit: Hmmm, I guess giving all ranged attacks the same system that trebuchets have – 3 APs before it can fire would work as well?

Tombles
    Keymaster

Edit: Hmmm, I guess giving all ranged attacks the same system that trebuchets have – 3 APs before it can fire would work as well?

Yes, you want to set Ranged attacks to be “Full Action”, instead of single use or repeating. Unfortunately though, this means repeating actions like Fire Bow will only shoot once, so you’ll need to triple their damage. Personally, I’d try doubling the damage first, I think at triple damage/longer range, ranged guys would kill most melee units before they even got close.

MartyD81

@tibbles

A tutorial would be fine, thanks. But I am a little disappointed that cursors cannot be replaced and created in the editor:-(. Tombles, can you confirm that? I prefer more elegant solutions than tinkering with exe’s…

Epaminondas

Yes, you want to set Ranged attacks to be “Full Action”, instead of single use or repeating. Unfortunately though, this means repeating actions like Fire Bow will only shoot once, so you’ll need to triple their damage. Personally, I’d try doubling the damage first, I think at triple damage/longer range, ranged guys would kill most melee units before they even got close.

Fantastic; thanks for the help. I will try double damage first, but I wouldn’t even mind default shoot once, as I prefer a system where ranged units don’t do too much damage anyways.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.