Modding / V1.7 [OFFICIAL] NOW LIVE

We’ve moved over to the paradox forums. Please come visit us there to discuss:
You can still read the collective wisdom - and lolz - of the community here, but posting is no longer possible.

Home Forums Age of Wonders 3 Discussions Modding / V1.7 [OFFICIAL] NOW LIVE

This topic contains 441 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  Tombles 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 442 total)
  • Author

Zaskow

So, anyone planning on making a Visual Distinction for Racial Class Units mod?

In progress. Using original tools at least…

Tombles
    Keymaster

Fantastic; thanks for the help. I will try double damage first, but I wouldn’t even mind default shoot once, as I prefer a system where ranged units don’t do too much damage anyways.

Have you played “Expedition: Conquistadors”? You might like it, it’s like a low magic fantasy rpg, set in the period of Spanish discovery of the Americas. It’s pretty neat, and they have nice attention to the kind of detail you like.

I mention it because the ranged attacks in that game are low damage too, maybe even a bit too low. They can outrange melee attackers though!

Teehon

Zaskow they look really cool! Love the dwarven Berserker >:D
    Any chance for other changes to Warbreeds except for the weapon, such as some racial symbols or texture changes?
    Also, is it difficult to change the appearance? For example, I noticed in the mod Elven Blademasters that the guys used helms which are availible at the leader creation. Can you give the dwarven Berserkers a mohavk? There are a couple of really good ones availible for the leaders. And also, I’d love Dwarven Warbreeds to have a beard, I don’t care if it clips or anything. On a dwarven Monster Hunter you can notice that they just added a beard to a normal MH armour, so I think it should be possible as well..

Anyway, keep up the greeeat work!

(I’d start meddling with mod tools myself but I have an interesting PBEM going on…)

Teehon

Too bad there are so few weapons currently availible.
    I’d recommend giving the dwarf MH a Deepguard Halberd, for example. This way they won’t use the same weapons as Berserkers. The same for draconians, try to give Flyer’s sword instead.

ExNihil

Can you guys please apply the unit fixes to patch 1.607 as well? or to create patch 1.608 or something suchlike that doesn’t include the modding tools but everything else, cause 70% of the time the game crashes to desktop when I load 1.609 and it gets tiring playing with this. Also in it makes AoW3.exe quite unstable it seems.

Since I play in windows mode my version of the game is not very stable in general I’d say – I get crashes quite often when I switch modes (I sometimes need to kill it with task manager), but this version is by far the most unstable I have seen. I’m afraid windows doesn’t seem to have generated any kind of dump file I have found that I can upload here for you guys to see, or none that I know of at least (maybe you might have insights otherwise).

Epaminondas

Have you played “Expedition: Conquistadors”? You might like it, it’s like a low magic fantasy rpg, set in the period of Spanish discovery of the Americas. It’s pretty neat, and they have nice attention to the kind of detail you like.

I mention it because the ranged attacks in that game are low damage too, maybe even a bit too low. They can outrange melee attackers though!

I’ve looked at that game for a long time, in fact – but I never ended up buying, because it isn’t fantasy! 😉

I’ve been recently playing Battle Brothers – which is in fact low-magic fantasy – but it’s in early part of early access, and a lot still needs to be developed. But it is a bit like AoW (very-)-lite, with hex-based tactical combat and a rudimentary RPG scheme thrown in the mix.

Tibbles

Also, is it difficult to change the appearance?

It depends on how far you want to go, I’m trying out a diversity mod right now, but if you want to change textures it’s a bit more involved, even more if you want to import models

Draconian Hunter

Adding a head-item though, is literally 1 minute work 🙂

Tombles
    Keymaster

I’ve looked at that game for a long time, in fact – but I never ended up buying, because it isn’t fantasy! 😉

There are actually fantasy elements. You get undead, some of the support units can basically use magic, stuff like that. I guess it is more kind of historical though.

You might want to check out Legends of Eisenwald too!

Since I play in windows mode my version of the game is not very stable in general I’d say – I get crashes quite often when I switch modes (I sometimes need to kill it with task manager), but this version is by far the most unstable I have seen. I’m afraid windows doesn’t seem to have generated any kind of dump file I have found that I can upload here for you guys to see, or none that I know of at least (maybe you might have insights otherwise).

Are you running debug mode? You need to turn it on in the launcher, under the Misc tab. Next time it crashes, a DMP file should be generated in:

My Documents\My Games\AoW3\Logs

Please mail it to us at support@triumphstudios.com . So we can see what’s going on. If it’s crashing, we need to try and figure out why! As for your other request, we’re hoping that we can release the patch soon enough that doing that would be pointless.

Epaminondas

Also, is it difficult to change the appearance?

It depends on how far you want to go, I’m trying out a diversity mod right now, but if you want to change textures it’s a bit more involved, even more if you want to import models

Draconian Hunter

Adding a head-item though, is literally 1 minute work :)

I was going to compliment you and say that you are really good at this stuff; but then I remembered you were a dev once! 😉

Not necessarily addressed to you alone, but your figures reminded me to ask: If I give a unit an existing ability – for instance shoot pistol on human irregulars – do I have to edit the animation as well to get the shoot pistol animation in game, or will the game auto-apply shoot pistol animation?

Epaminondas

There are actually fantasy elements. You get undead, some of the support units can basically use magic, stuff like that. I guess it is more kind of historical though.

You might want to check out Legends of Eisenwald too!

Ah, ok, I didn’t know you get undead units. I might get it after all!

Eisenwald is another game I’ve been contemplating! In fact, it came down to that or Darkest Dungeon for my last TBS purchase, and I ended up with Darkest Dungeon, since it seemed to have more re-playability. But I might still end up getting Eisenwald (as you can tell, I tend to delve into games so thoroughly that I don’t have the energy nor the time to play more than one or two games simultaneously! ;)).

Tombles
    Keymaster

Not necessarily addressed to you alone, but your figures reminded me to ask: If I give a unit an existing ability – for instance shoot pistol on human irregulars – do I have to edit the animation as well to get the shoot pistol animation in game, or will the game auto-apply shoot pistol animation?

It depends on the animation set and the ability. Often you won’t need to change the animation set, but for some abilities you might find you can’t fix it. Most units only have one shoot animation, for example, so it might be impossible to have a unit that can both shoot a bow and an xbow with the correct animations, because the system calls them both the same thing.

Epaminondas

It depends on the animation set and the ability. Often you won’t need to change the animation set, but for some abilities you might find you can’t fix it. Most units only have one shoot animation, for example, so it might be impossible to have a unit that can both shoot a bow and an xbow with the correct animations, because the system calls them both the same thing.

Ah, ok. So sticking shoot pistol on, say, a human swordsman would work without extra animation work?

Tibbles

I was going to compliment you and say that you are really good at this stuff; but then I remembered you were a dev once!

Hey! I’m still a dev.. just not for this game 😛

Draconians next to humans, and this is just after texturing 😀

Bob5

Is there a way to remove the cooldown of an ability on medal upgrades, for instance making a Frost Dragon that can use Frost Breath without cooldown when it reaches gold medal?

I don’t think so. You can remove “Once Per Battle” from an ability, but I don’t think you can remove a cooldown.

That’s too bad. But I think I can make my Ancient Frost Dragon badass anyway. I made it somewhat darker than the original Frost Dragon, 20% larger (it’s really huge now), and gave it a big stat boost. Base HP to 140, MP to 36, Def to 18, Resist to 16, Melee to 19 phys, 10 frost, boost in Frost Breath damage, gave it Freezing Cold, Frostbite, and Dome of Frost on base and gave it Arctic Concealment, Path of Frost, and Frost Aura with medals.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Ah, ok. So sticking shoot pistol on, say, a human swordsman would work without extra animation work?

It will certainly work, but whether or not it will look right is another matter entirely. I can’t think of a non-mounted unit that fires a pistol, it’s possible there is no animation for it. Best thing to do is try! If it doesn’t work, maybe use the animation resolver than engineers use, they might have a suitable animation for firing the blunderbus.

ExNihil

Are you running debug mode? You need to turn it on in the launcher, under the Misc tab. Next time it crashes, a DMP file should be generated in:

Not running debug mode, but apparently windows did create a dump file after all. here it is attached.

When I ran the game in debug mode, weirdly – it did run version 1.609 without a hitch.

Zaskow

Any chance for other changes to Warbreeds except for the weapon, such as some racial symbols or texture changes?

Not very big chances – I’m horrible artist.

Can you give the dwarven Berserkers a mohavk?

Still looking for brown mohawk. Adding black mohawk isn’t problem.

And also, I’d love Dwarven Warbreeds to have a beard, I don’t care if it clips or anything.

All for you, my friend!

On a dwarven Monster Hunter you can notice that they just added a beard to a normal MH armour, so I think it should be possible as well..

Dwarven MH hasn’t separate beard. Beard is integrated in model.

I’d recommend giving the dwarf MH a Deepguard Halberd, for example. This way they won’t use the same weapons as Berserkers.

Halberd? Hmm, would be it too difficult to handle for such mobile unit as MH?

Uncomplete line of changed warlord units (races of original game)
    Berserkers:

Mh:

Orcish and humans MHs left by default.
    Warbreeds:

I need moar suggestions for other warbreeds. Maybe, you suggest something which I could implement without modelling?
    Phalanx:

Draco phalanx left default, because scaled charger spear looks horrible for phalanx. Goblin phalanx looks awesome already.
    Manticores:

Scout
    Only elven, need more suggestions.

Question: is it problematic for you guys, if I leave default icons for berserker, which have that warlord 2-handled axe on it?

Teehon

I was going to compliment you and say that you are really good at this stuff; but then I remembered you were a dev once!

Hey! I’m still a dev.. just not for this game 😛

Draconians next to humans, and this is just after texturing 😀

They look awesome!
    Seriously, I think the future of AoW3 is bright 🙂

vota dc

I changed high elves irregulars with halfling martyr skin and draconian hatchling animation, but it crash when I enter in battle with them. Not sure what is wrong, incompatible animation shouldn’t be the issue since I already put a wrong animation in other units with just a weird effect and no game crash.

Also when I change the skin should I change only figure in the figure section or even the figure in the unit section? I know that unit is essential for the formation if I want to change the number, the problem is that I have less choices of skin if I change the unit section while I can use every skin in the figure section.
    Anyway if I replace brew brother with nightwatch skin it works even if I do the replacement only in the figure section. But I still get weird result: the right hand can only have a cup and can’t reach any weapon (the weapon seems floating), changing the animation doesn’t help.

Epaminondas

It will certainly work, but whether or not it will look right is another matter entirely. I can’t think of a non-mounted unit that fires a pistol, it’s possible there is no animation for it. Best thing to do is try! If it doesn’t work, maybe use the animation resolver than engineers use, they might have a suitable animation for firing the blunderbus.

Thanks.

And one more question – and only one more for today, I promise!:

As far as ranged abilities go, I understand now what “Full Action” does (I think), but what do “Leave One Action Point” and “Full Action Continue” do? Would they be better for my purpose, assuming I want to increase most ranged attacks to long range instead of medium?

Thanks in advance!

Lol Epa some of these are quicker to test yourself and find out!

Believe me, you might make a few mistakes but once you get the hang of it…it gets addictive.

Goblin, Dwarf and Hafling races just been finished by yours truly, with T4 units.

Missing alot of the cool details, like icons etc, but the system isn’t “hard”.

Test and adjust Epa, you’ll figure out most of this stuff yourself.

Teehon

Not very big chances – I’m horrible artist.

Can you give the dwarven Berserkers a mohavk?

Still looking for brown mohawk. Adding black mohawk isn’t problem.

And also, I’d love Dwarven Warbreeds to have a beard, I don’t care if it clips or anything.

All for you, my friend!

On a dwarven Monster Hunter you can notice that they just added a beard to a normal MH armour, so I think it should be possible as well..

Dwarven MH hasn’t separate beard. Beard is integrated in model.

I’d recommend giving the dwarf MH a Deepguard Halberd, for example. This way they won’t use the same weapons as Berserkers.

Halberd? Hmm, would be it too difficult to handle for such mobile unit as MH?

Uncomplete line of changed warlord units (races of original game)
    Berserkers:

Mh:

Orcish and humans MHs left by default.
    Warbreeds:

I need moar suggestions for other warbreeds. Maybe, you suggest something which I could implement without modelling?
    Phalanx:

Draco phalanx left default, because scaled charger spear looks horrible for phalanx. Goblin phalanx looks awesome already.
    Manticores:

Scout
    Only elven, need more suggestions.

Wohoo! Well done!

More suggestions:
    Warbreeds
    Tigrans you could try taking their weapon away completely, after all many tigrans fight unarmed already.
    Goblin Warbreed – giving the scythe thingie that Untouchables have? After all, they kind of similar with stink and everything.
    Orc Warbreed – give it Stormtroopers’ axe
    Can you give Draconian Warbreed some horns? Would be really nice.
    Halfling Warbreed – is it possible to put something *on* the helmet? For example the flower crown from Leader Creation? Would suit it well.

Phallanx – Tigran Phallanx should definitely have the spear from Sun Guard

About dwarf MH:
    there are several reasons to give them halberds I can think of. First, Deepguard are similar in function to MH, just read the description. They guard dwarven settlements from the dangers and monsters from below. Second, it is not good if two units which go after one another have exact the same weapons. (that’s also why I think Draconian MH should have different weapon as well, for example Flier’s sword). Third, a halberd is a good weapon to fight monsters.

Edit: after looking at the Manticore models I realize that it would be really cool if the riders had additional hairstyles or some accessories. For example, epic horns for draconians, firstborn thingies for dwarves, some brutal helmet for orcs etc.

the last thing: try to give a Frostling manticore the Harpoon, I think it would look cool. Additionaly, they might get a chance to immobilize their enemies as a bonus, that’d be really unique

Tombles
    Keymaster

They’re both used for teleportation.

– Leave One Action point = The ability can be used with any number of action points remaining, but once it’s used, you will always have 0 movepoints/1 action point left. It’s used for Shadow Step.
    – Full Action Continue = The ability requires 3 action points to use, but once used it leaves you with 0 movepoints/1 action point. It’s used for phase.

I changed high elves irregulars with halfling martyr skin and draconian hatchling animation, but it crash when I enter in battle with them. Not sure what is wrong, incompatible animation shouldn’t be the issue since I already put a wrong animation in other units with just a weird effect and no game crash.

That’s really odd… If you can post a zip of the Mod or a DMP file for the crash, we might be able to figure out what’s broken.

Also when I change the skin should I change only figure in the figure section or even the figure in the unit section? I know that unit is essential for the formation if I want to change the number, the problem is that I have less choices of skin if I change the unit section while I can use every skin in the figure section.
    Anyway if I replace brew brother with nightwatch skin it works even if I do the replacement only in the figure section. But I still get weird result: the right hand can only have a cup and can’t reach any weapon (the weapon seems floating), changing the animation doesn’t help.

You should change the skin in the figure (or make a new figure, with a new skin), then change the unit to use the figure you just changed. Each unit should have it’s own figure, otherwise they all start to look the same.

With the Brew Brother, try changing the Offset and Rotation in the “Right Hand Item” part of the figure. That will let you move the cup in the figure’s hand.

Tombles
    Keymaster

Also, please don’t quote Zaskow’s entire post when you reply to him, this page is like 5 miles long already! 🙂

Epaminondas

Lol Epa some of these are quicker to test yourself and find out!

Believe me, you might make a few mistakes but once you get the hang of it…it gets addictive.

Goblin, Dwarf and Hafling races just been finished by yours truly, with T4 units.

Missing alot of the cool details, like icons etc, but the system isn’t “hard”.

Test and adjust Epa, you’ll figure out most of this stuff yourself.

I have been testing, but I am such a klutz that I am afraid of screwing stuff up royally and have to re-do everything. (I already had one such a panick attack today :().

I am not going to try anything complicated for now. At the moment just focusing on creating the tactical combat experience I’ve always wanted – mainly tweaking units and spells so that tactical combat is 1) a bit longer (shooting for about 3 times longer than vanilla); 2) a bit more realistic (ranged units do get to fire without being worried about getting meleed the same turn; walls are hard to break); and 3) a bit less skewed in favor of spells.

Epaminondas

They’re both used for teleportation.

– Leave One Action point = The ability can be used with any number of action points remaining, but once it’s used, you will always have 0 movepoints/1 action point left. It’s used for Shadow Step.
    – Full Action Continue = The ability requires 3 action points to use, but once used it leaves you with 0 movepoints/1 action point. It’s used for phase.

Great – thanks. No more questions for today, as promised! 😉

Now heavy unit editing & experimenting today, American football tomorrow, so you won’t have me annoy you until Monday! 😉

Zaskow

Tigrans you could try taking their weapon away completely, after all many tigrans fight unarmed already.

Alternative suggestion: maybe I could put assassins claws for them?

Goblin Warbreed – giving the scythe thingie that Untouchables have? After all, they kind of similar with stink and everything.

Honestly, I tried, but it looks mediocre for me

Axe looks much better, imao:

Orc Warbreed – give it Stormtroopers’ axe

Something like?

Can you give Draconian Warbreed some horns? Would be really nice.

In progress…

Halfling Warbreed – is it possible to put something *on* the helmet? For example the flower crown from Leader Creation? Would suit it well.

LOL

Phallanx – Tigran Phallanx should definitely have the spear from Sun Guard

I don’t touch dlc races at all, except some units. However…

Thariorn

Ah, ok, I didn’t know you get undead units. I might get it after all!

You can even fight against the atztecan death god (and loose)

Ravenholme

There is a non-mounted unit that uses Fire Pistol, Tombles (though I am actually struggling to remember if he has an animation for it) – The lost mariner.

Epaminondas

I already broken Tome of Wonders: it doesn’t show resistance, attack and defense!

Confirmed. I thought these had been deleted entirely, but it’s just in the tow.

Yup. Confirmed on this end as well. It seems like changing those three values breaks the display of those values in the ToW. However, changing other values do not have an impact – strangely enough.

There is a non-mounted unit that uses Fire Pistol, Tombles (though I am actually struggling to remember if he has an animation for it) – The lost mariner.

Indeed – a good call!

You can even fight against the atztecan death god (and loose)

Except I’d win though – eventually! 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.